Did James Bond use Pomade?

superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
I don't think that Ian Fleming explicity stated that James Bond used anything to dress his hair, except that he carelessly brushed it back. Equivalent to today's use of gel or mouse, I wonder if James Bond as a man of his times used some sort of hair tonic, pomade or grease (Brylcreem anyone?)
"...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....

Comments

• scaramanga1scaramanga1 The English RivieraPosts: 845Chief of Staff
    I think there is a mention of 007 using something on his hair in one of Gardner's books, but unfortunately I can't remember which book it was.
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    There was an edition of British GQ a few years back that mentioned that Connery used hair dressing from George F. Trumper during the Bond films. If memory serves, it referenced Thunderball in particular. This was the same issue that featured the Bond NATO watch strap that can still be bought, as well as a vintage Rolex submariner circa 1965. It also made mention of Floris #89 as Bonds probable cologne, seeing as Floris is mentioned in one of the novels.
    So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    edited January 2004
    Quoting Donald Grant:
    There was an edition of British GQ a few years back that mentioned that Connery used hair dressing from George F. Trumper during the Bond films.

I'm still taking in all the little goodies from the book, "James Bond's London," which pointed me to OHMSS. In Ch. 23, Bond uses Draco's bathroom and notices a bottle of Trumper's Eucris hair lotion, which is oil based. It doesn't state whether or not Bond actually put some on his hair, but there also wasn't anything said to the contrary, such as Bond not liking hair lotion, etc. The text goes on to say how Bond was touched that Draco went to great lengths to make his British guest feel at home. Now, I'm more inclined to think that the literary Bond uses Eucris hair lotion, if the author's affinity for the product can be used as an indicator.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
    If memory serves, I believe the edition of British G.Q. mentioned Eucris as the hair dressing that Connery used for Thunderball. In any case I think it's a fair assumption on your part based on the literary hint.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
    Bye the way, "James Bond's London" is an excellent source for all things James Bond. But, beware, James Bond has expensive taste and you can spend a fortune trying to live like Bond.

D.G.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    Where would one in the USA pick up Eucris hair dressing ?
  • LilacLilac SW Illinois, USAPosts: 9MI6 Agent
    Quoting scaramanga1:
    I think there is a mention of 007 using something on his hair in one of Gardner's books, but unfortunately I can't remember which book it was.

In Nobody Lives Forever, Gardner's 5th, he uses Dunhill Blend 30 soap, shampoo, and cologne.

You're lucky, scaramanga1, I just happened to read this part just last night.....
  • glidroseglidrose Posts: 138MI6 Agent
    Quoting Lilac:
    Quoting Lilac:
    Quoting scaramanga1:

In Nobody Lives Forever, Gardner's 5th, he uses Dunhill Blend 30 soap, shampoo, and cologne.

Doesn't count...who cares about what Gardner wrote what Bond should use. He didn't know Bond...only Fleming did.

You're lucky, scaramanga1, I just happened to read this part just last night.....
  • one night standone night stand Posts: 127MI6 Agent
    Quoting Donald Grant:
    Bye the way, "James Bond's London" is an excellent source for all things James Bond. But, beware, James Bond has expensive taste and you can spend a fortune trying to live like Bond.

D.G.

That is all to rich for my blood.
  • LilacLilac SW Illinois, USAPosts: 9MI6 Agent
    edited July 2004
    Quoting glidrose:
    Doesn't count...who cares about what Gardner wrote what Bond should use.
    scaramanga1 cares - he asked directly, I answered.
    Quoting glidrose:
    He didn't know Bond...only Fleming did.
    News flash: Bond was not a real person. Fleming didn't "know" him any more than Gardner. This sniffy attitude of yours borders on elitism. If the further novels didn't hold true to the spirit of the original, they wouldn't have been authorized, and I for one appreciate having lots and lots of stories to read about one of my favorite fictional characters.

Kind regards,
    Lilac
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    edited July 2004
    Quoting bladerunner_ozd:
    In the novels Bond uses no hair oils or anything...

In From Russia...there is this quote whilst on the Orient Express...

"She approved of the fact he used no oil on his hair. "It is a dirty habit" she said. "I was told that many Europeans have it. We would not think of doing it in Russia. It dirties pillows. But it is odd that you in the west do not use perfume. All our men do.""

""we wash," said Bond dryly."

Thank you for that. It may be a little detail, but it contributes to my mental image of Bond. I wonder though apart from the possiblity of Eucris (if this is a hair tonic that doesn't have an oil base), if he would have worn anything. I'm intrigued because in films from the 50's and 60's, it appeared that it was standard for men to have something on their hair. Or would it be possible for to maintain the "neater" style of the day without using anything?

I forgot to add though, it's been mentioned that Bond likes Guerlain's Imperiale cologne. Maybe he didn't wear it during FRWL, or that it's another Fleming slip.
  • barracudabarracuda CataloniaPosts: 97MI6 Agent
    edited July 2004
    In the novels Bond uses no hair oils or anything...

In From Russia...there is this quote whilst on the Orient Express...

"She approved of the fact he used no oil on his hair. "It is a dirty habit" she said. "I was told that many Europeans have it. We would not think of doing it in Russia. It dirties pillows. But it is odd that you in the west do not use perfume. All our men do.""

""we wash," said Bond dryly."

exactly what i was going to point out. James Bond's hair is grease free :-)
    'Yes, dammit, I said "was". The bitch is dead now.'
    The James Bond Dossier | SPECTRE | Q-Branch James Bond Podcast
  • maddyhindmaddyhind UKPosts: 106MI6 Agent
    Eucris is also a cologne, not just a hair lotion