Topic: Lulu Vs. Alice Cooper

I know a lot of you hate Lulu's The Man With The Golden Gun, and I admit it's not amongst the great ones. I wonder what you think about this song, which can be downloaded from

http://wwww.geocities.com/bsarlald/sgoldcooper.mp3
(It's very small sized!)

This is Alice Cooper's version of the song; he would have liked to sing the title theme of a Bond film and gave it a shot in the wake of Paul McCartney's LALD. However, the song wasn't accepted.

Do you think it would be better insted of Lulu's song?

Re: Lulu Vs. Alice Cooper

You link doesn't work I'm afraid Cat, could you try again ?

Aevo rarissima nostro simplicitas
The higher the monkey climbs the more you can see its arse

YNWA: Justice For The 96

Sorry, I misse out a g.

The correct link is:

http://wwww.geocities.com/bsarlald/sgoldgcooper.mp3

I can't link to the new one, Cat.  Anyway, I have heard Alice's song, and, as a fan of my fellow Arizonan (who's also a terrifically nice guy who gives a lot of money to Phoenix charities), I have to say I would have loved if his song had been used.  Then again, the Bay City Rollers might have been an improvement over Lulu's shrieking roller disco song.

Vox clamantis in deserto

Quoting Hardyboy:
I can't link to the new one, Cat.  Anyway, I have heard Alice's song,

Me neither, and I haven't heard the song - could you please try again ?

Oh! I'm such an idiot cat. Theer are only three w-s. Let's try this for the final time.

http://www.geocities.com/bsarlald/sgoldgcooper.mp3

That should be correct.

Cheers Cat - that last one worked. A good track and quite different from Lulu's, it would have been good to see what the titles would have looked like over that.

Quoting Sir Miles:
A good track and quite different from Lulu's, it would have been good to see what the titles would have looked like over that.

Ah, yes, what coulda been.  Alice's song has a "shimmering" quality about it, so I could see the titles being made up of rotating mirrors (a la the funhouse), with glances of Bond and some golden-gun-clutching beauties stalking each other reflected in them.  Hmmm. . .already it sounds better than the water-and-Asian-babes motif used in the film!

Vox clamantis in deserto

Quoting Hardyboy:
Ah, yes, what coulda been.  Alice's song has a "shimmering" quality about it, so I could see the titles being made up of rotating mirrors (a la the funhouse), with glances of Bond and some golden-gun-clutching beauties stalking each other reflected in them.  Hmmm. . .already it sounds better than the water-and-Asian-babes motif used in the film!

I have to say your title sequence sounds great!

And as another fan of the Coopman, yeah it really would have been something if he had sang TMWTGG.

Last edited by Alex (7th Mar 2004 15:25)

Personally I don't like either version.  But I would be interested in hearing the original version that John Barry wrote which was slower in temple.  Maurice Binder complained about this often during the mid 70s and early 80s because he would be in the middle of creating his nude credit montages and Barry would be asked to rewrite the score.

Barry eventually would write approximately 6 different songs and let the studio heads decide.

to be fair to barry and the tmwtgg score it was written very quickly in a matter of weeks and lacks his other works polish but is still an adequate piece of work imo...on a similar note has anyone heard blondies for your your eyes only theme song...it is available in the uk at least on the cheap best of cd...that i think was exclusive to virgin megastores...its a good eighties style tune and would have worked well

I know someone related to Alice Cooper.

Mrs. Gloria Henderson I presume?

As the starter of the forum I'll add my comments as well!

The Cooper song is great and could have substituted the Lulu song (and I'm using this term loosely). But I couldn't imagine the song to appear in any kind of score! Honestly, I like the TMWTGG theme, but not in the performance of Lulu, but in the orchestral incarnations.

I actually have many of Alice Coopers CD's including the "Muscle of Love" album which has that song. It's a good song
but is doesn't have *nearly* the octane of Lulu's version with John Barry's horn section blasting in high gear.  Sure it's a tad hockey in a sense, but that movie *is hockey* so it's a suitable match in my opinion.  Lulu's voice just cuts through that tune like a knife. And also, there's nothing disco about that tune by any stretch of the imagination. I especially like the horn section blasting away at the end
Da, Da, Da, Da, Da, Da, Da       Da   Da  Da   Da

So there......... James Bond 007........................Jim

I'm also an Alice Cooper fan, and while i really dig that song, it just doesn't have that Bond feel to it. So I'm glad they went with Lulu.

and having two rock songs in a row might have been weird.

Bond: Time to leave, Dr. Doak.

1) The Spy Who Loved Me 2) Goldfinger 3) Moonraker 4) Goldeneye 5) A View to a Kill

Has anyone heard the version with Alice Cooper and Liza Minelli? I read about it somewhere...

Find "Muscle of Love" by Alice Cooper and you
    will get that tune. It's called "Teenage Lament 74". It's also on the greatest hits CD where they are dressed in 40's attire. Alice is sooooo Hollywood.

....................Jim

Lulu said she had a sore throat when she recorded TMWTGG song.  Perhaps that is why she sounds so strained.

I heard on a documentary, that the titles were sped up because there was a change in the theme. So maybe it was supposed to be the theme and was changed during the process.

I still can't get the link to hear Alice's version....

This is the correct link.

http://www.geocities.com/bsarlald/sgoldgcooper.mp3

I hate that song. Blah. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I like the Lulu song better.

Wow, thanks for the link cat....i happen to like this theme much more than the one tha LuLu did, this is a great improvement... ajb007/smile

Lulu vs Alice Cooper - now there's a wrestling match I'd love to see.  My money's on the Scot.

I'd go with Lulu, every time.  Alice's version doesn't have its bombast, its complete OTTness; though I never thought I'd say this about an Alice Cooper track, it's too laid back...

Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart