Terminator

Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
edited April 2011 in Off Topic Chat
Someone told me that James Cameron will be back to direct Terminator 4 and that Arnold will be back too. Anyone have anymore information. I love the Terminator movies, yes I enjoyed 3 also. I believe the only thing left to play out is the final battle. If Cameron is coming back, I can't wait to see the movie.

Comments

• Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    I can't confirm if a Terminator 4 will happen. If it does it can be soon or far away. Arnold is running for California Governor again. If he is re-elected he shouldn't be filming a movie. If he's voted out of office in November, who knows? Anything might be possible.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,280MI6 Agent
    I enjoyed T3 as well (much more than T2 actually). As for a T4, there was a rumor a while back that The Rock (a/k/a Dwayne Johnson) would play a new Terminator model.

Arnold was definitely the heart of the Terminator movies but the man is nearly 60 years old so I don't know if he can still be taken seriously as an over the top action hero (to say nothing of his duties as governor).

Still, with today's CGI technology, anything's possible. There's a few scenes in X-Men 3 that take place 20 years ago and Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen are made to look like they're in their 40's (both are actually in their mid 60's) and the effect is really well done. I'm sure the same thing could be done for closeups of Arnold.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    I'm a huge Terminator fan. I adore the first 2 Terminator films (from a purely entertainment point of view I prefer number 2 but number 1 is equally as important to me) and in fact it would be fair to say that the Terminator films have had a massive impact on my life, both cinematically and not-cinematically (true fact: the first time I ever came close to crying during a film was at the end of T2). I also enjoyed the third one, although not nearly as much as the first 2. Now in regards to your question, I believe that not only will there be a fourth but there also be a fifth. I doubt however that Arnold (one of my heroes) will have a major role in either Terminator 4 (or should there be it be made) Terminator 5. I predict that he'll have a cameo in at least one of them.

I can not wait till Terminator 4!!! {[]
    TonyDP wrote:
    I enjoyed T3 ...(much more than T2 actually).
    How come?
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • arthur pringlearthur pringle SpacePosts: 366MI6 Agent
    The Terminator is one of the greatest action films ever made.I think having a modest budget actually worked in their favour.You have to love a film that is that lo-fi yet still inventive and exciting.For me T2 was slightly overblown.Like a concept album to the original's precise simplicity.I actually think it's a real shame that Cameron wasn't involved in Alien 3 also.His presence would almost certainly have averted that fiasco.
    Dan Same wrote:
    TonyDP wrote:
    I enjoyed T3 ...(much more than T2 actually).
    How come?

I think my problem was with some of the characters. Linda Hamilton in particular came across as a foul mouthed one beat character who spent the bulk of the film swearing and generally blaming everybody for the world's ills. I know she was trying to harden herself for the ordeal that was to come but I just think she layed it on too thick; I quickly lost all sympathy for her. Eddie Furlong was also a little too whiny for me as John Connor; I just couldn't see this kid as the future savior of humanity. In fact, all the characters came across as somewhat stiff and wooden; I just didn't care for what happened to any of them. The film was also a little too long for my tastes and dark to the point of being oppressive.

In contrast, I really came to care for John and Katherine in T3 (Nick Stahl really caught the conflict and doubts John must have been feeling IMHO) and I thought that film was much more well paced (it was pretty close in length to the first one). Even though it ended with with the destruction of 90% of the human race, I actually left the theater feeling I had a good time. Go figure. :o

Oh, and I'll take being terminated by Kristanna Loken over Robert Patrick any day. :D
    TonyDP wrote:
    Oh, and I'll take being terminated by Kristanna Loken over Robert Patrick any day. :D
    Who wouldn't? :D
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    Well if their is going to be a T4, what is left to playout in the story. If I remember right, near the end of T3, one of the characters says something about the mission was not to stop the battle, but to survive it. So if at the end of T3, have they survived the battle, or are we in store for more of the battle. Any ideas fellow Terminator fans? I love Arnold, but if he can't do it, I would be willing to give the Rock a chance. I think he has some charisma and to play the Terminator you just have to be a stoic killing machine. I think he could pull it off.

I thought T3 was very good and as Tony said well paced and I did develop an affection for the characters. I prefer T2 slightly because I think the action scenes were a little better done, I especially like the motorcycle tractor trailer chase. I also think that T2 has some wonderful lines like, "come with me if you want to live". All this talk about the Terminator movies makes me think I might throw one in the old DVD machine tonight. :)
  • General_OurumovGeneral_Ourumov United KingdomPosts: 861MI6 Agent
    Two T4 Topics exist already

http://www.ajb007.co.uk/index.php?topic=22494

My own opinion is on there. T4 should be made, I say!
  • Royale KingRoyale King Posts: 37MI6 Agent
    i always liked arnie in terminator IMO its the year of the sequels, prequels etc..:

Pirates of the carribean 2
    Mrs doubtfire 2
    mr bean 2
    MI3
    Terminator 4
    jurassic park 4
    indy 4
    :o
    edited June 2006
    Well if their is going to be a T4, what is left to playout in the story. If I remember right, near the end of T3, one of the characters says something about the mission was not to stop the battle, but to survive it. So if at the end of T3, have they survived the battle, or are we in store for more of the battle. Any ideas fellow Terminator fans? I love Arnold, but if he can't do it, I would be willing to give the Rock a chance. I think he has some charisma and to play the Terminator you just have to be a stoic killing machine. I think he could pull it off.

I thought T3 was very good and as Tony said well paced and I did develop an affection for the characters. I prefer T2 slightly because I think the action scenes were a little better done, I especially like the motorcycle tractor trailer chase. I also think that T2 has some wonderful lines like, "come with me if you want to live". All this talk about the Terminator movies makes me think I might throw one in the old DVD machine tonight. :)

I think what John meant was that they survived the initial assault of the machines. Even though 90% of the human race was wiped out, the infrastructure for the resistance remained intact and would soon be taking up the fight.

At this point, I'd really like to see a Terminator movie set in the future that shows us the war and how humanity defeats the machines; I really don't see the point in another "Terminator goes back in time to save/destroy key figures of the resistance" as it's been done three times already.

If Arnold is going to have a diminished role then you need a pretty big slam-bang movie to make up for that. Maybe you could have it end with Reese going back in time to save Sarah Connor, so that it all comes around full circle to T1.
    edited June 2006
    I've been following the developments for Terminator 4 for quite a while and I believe, although I may of course be wrong, that Terminator 4 and Terminator 5 (should number 4 be successful) will focus on the war.

A terminator was sent back in time to kill John at three important stages; before he was born, as a kid and as an adult, so I can't imagine that Terminator 4 will repeat the whole time travel thing. No, I think that 4 will focus on the war and will set the stage for number 5.

Arnold might appear but I don't think he'll have anyting more than a cameo.
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited June 2006
    Arnold is currently the Governor of the state of California.If he is reelected to office(he's running for another term)he won't be able to find any time to appear in motion pictures of any sort for at least another four years--not even for a cameo in a movie.He won't be given special consideration based upon who he is, or because of his previous career.That would open up all kinds of problems-not the least of which suggesting that he'd never taken his elective office seriously and had really only run for Governor in order to add something colorful to his resume.It'd mark the end of any further plans for a political career of any importance.

As Tony's pointed out,Arnold's now almost 60 years old.In fact,Arnold has all but announced that he's retired from acting.But even if he wants to continue acting-- and assuming Arnold is reelected Governor--he won't be available to do any of that until 2010.Unless he then decides to run for senator--an option that was seriously mentioned not long after he became Governor.If that should happen,he won't be able to find any time for acting,either.

If there is indeed another Terminator movie it'll have to star someone else other than Arnold.His calendar is pretty full--his responsibilities and priorities have changed considerably since his acting days.
    i always liked arnie in terminator IMO its the year of the sequels, prequels etc..:

Mrs doubtfire 2
    jurassic park 4
    indy 4
    :o

I knew there was supposed to be a 4th Indiana Jones movie. But I didn't know there was supposed to be a 2nd Mrs. Doubthfire and 4th Jurrasic Park. I went to the sometimes trusted imdb and for Mrs. Doubtfire 2 they have it as a 2006 realease, but no cast. For Jurrasic Park they have it as a 2008 release and for Indy 4 they show it as a 2007 release.
  • ohmss1969ohmss1969 EuropePosts: 141MI6 Agent
    "He'll be back" (pun intended lmao)
  • Mewtwo3090Mewtwo3090 Posts: 72MI6 Agent
    Didn't both, Connor and Brewster shut down Skynet? With Skynet shut down, why would they need a 4th terminator? ?:)
    edited June 2006
    Mewtwo3090 wrote:
    Didn't both, Connor and Brewster shut down Skynet? With Skynet shut down, why would they need a 4th terminator? ?:)
    They only delayed the war, they didn't stop it. In fact in Terminator 3 the good Terminator made the comment that the war was inevitable.
  • Mewtwo3090Mewtwo3090 Posts: 72MI6 Agent
    Ah, ok now I remember. I hope this movie is as good as the 2nd one. Can't wait. :)
    Mewtwo3090 wrote:
    I hope this movie is as good as the 2nd one. Can't wait. :)
    I'll second that! :D
  • General_OurumovGeneral_Ourumov United KingdomPosts: 861MI6 Agent
    edited June 2006
    Don't get your hopes too high; chances are it will be directed again by Jonathan Mostow. Terminator 2 is a hell of a lot to live up to; y'know, being a masterpiece and all! It's more than obvious that it will be packed full of CGI and all this type of nonsense! :)
    edited June 2006
    Don't get your hopes too high; chances are it will be directed again by Jonathan Mostow. Terminator 2 is a hell of a lot to live up to; y'know, being a masterpiece and all! It's more than obvious that i will be packed full of CGI and all this type of nonsense! :)
    It probably won't be nearly as good as T2 but I quite enjoyed T3. So, assuming that it won't be as good as T2 but will be as good as T3, I'll be happy. Well, relatively so. ;)
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    Came across this story about Terminator 4. The writer doesn't think much of the idea but I do. I also disagree about T3, I thought it was good. If T4 has the final battle between man and the machines, I am there. I also think the Rock would be good as the terminator.
  • Bill TannerBill Tanner "Spending the money quickly" iPosts: 261MI6 Agent
    If there is indeed another Terminator movie it'll have to star someone else other than Arnold.His calendar is pretty full--his responsibilities and priorities have changed considerably since his acting days.

Not necessarily - I don't know when the re-election takes place, but in theory Arnold could be in the film 1n 2008 or 2011, making him 61 or 64, is that right?

If we assume a T4 film takes place in the SkyNet future, during the war with the machines, Arnold could star or cameo as the real person upon whom the Terminator was modelled. It would give a fresh new twist to the film. He could also play his real age.

The machines can all be done with CGi and if people are keen to see Mr Rock, he could star as another Terminator model - there must have been a lot of varieties, otherwise the underground resistance fighters wouldn't have had much of a problem identifying them.

Always thought that was a plot hole in the second film: if memory serves, the Terminators were given human looks to disguise them. The Arnie model was sent back, then destroyed. In the second film we're supposed to accept that future-Connor has captured exactly the same variety of Terminator, reprogrammed it and sent it back.

Not necessarily - I don't know when the re-election takes place, but in theory Arnold could be in the film 1n 2008 or 2011, making him 61 or 64, is that right?

The re-election took place in November of 2006. Arnold was re-elected as Governor of California. His term will end in 2008. The only way I see him being able to film anything is on his vacation time. Not sure of "The Governators" age though. 61 to 64 sounds about right. Hopefully for everyone though he can at least make a cameo.
    I'd read recently that a proposed Terminator TV series was being shopped around. It would supposedly take place between T2 and T3 and focus on John and Sarah Connor's time on the run. Didn't sound particularly interesting to me and I'm glad nothing has come of it.

As to a T4 movie; the war between man and machine would be my preferred plot device as well. But such a movie would probably be prohibitively expensive to make and unless an "A" list director were to get behind the project, I don't see the studios bankrolling it, especially if Arnold's participation was diminished.

My fear is that the studios may decide to "cheap out" the Terminator franchise as they've done with the Alien and Predator movies. Aliens vs. Predator was OK at best and now I hear they're making a sequel that also happens in the present day and the climax takes place in a Walmart, thus pretty much throwing out all continuity with the original movies. Better to let these franchises die a quiet death than wring them dry via low budget take the money and run hatchet jobs.
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,694MI6 Agent
    TonyDP wrote:
    I'd read recently that a proposed Terminator TV series was being shopped around. It would supposedly take place between T2 and T3 and focus on John and Sarah Connor's time on the run. Didn't sound particularly interesting to me and I'm glad nothing has come of it.

You're wrong- it's still on: http://imdb.com/title/tt0851851/
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    The original is a masterpiece, and I dislike using the word. It's unique with an intelligent storyline, great pacing, mood, Arnold's greatest role.

While I throughly enjoyed the sequel, I prefer Arnold as the bad terminator. It was too much of a father figure role and watered down for my tastes. The third I've never seen.
    Alex wrote:
    The original is a masterpiece, and I dislike using the word. It's unique with an intelligent storyline, great pacing, mood, Arnold's greatest role.

While I throughly enjoyed the sequel, I prefer Arnold as the bad terminator. It was too much of a father figure role and watered down for my tastes. The third I've never seen.

I'm really surprised you've never seen T3 Alex; did you avoid it or did it just work out that way? Like Barry Nelson, I enjoyed it quite a bit (more than T2 actually). Arnold was more of a drill sargeant than a father figure and there was definitely some ambivalence to his character in T3. I also thought Nick Stahl made a much better, more conflicted John Connor than Edward Furlong. You really should give it a chance, if only to give your new surround system a good workout.
    edited January 2007
    TonyDP wrote:
    Alex wrote:

I'm really surprised you've never seen T3 Alex; did you avoid it or did it just work out that way? Like Barry Nelson, I enjoyed it quite a bit (more than T2 actually). Arnold was more of a drill sargeant than a father figure and there was definitely some ambivalence to his character in T3. I also thought Nick Stahl made a much better, more conflicted John Connor than Edward Furlong. You really should give it a chance, if only to give your new surround system a good workout.
    I'm going to have to disagree with my friend Tony here. :D While I did enjoy T3, I don't think it's nowhere near as good as T2 which I would describe as a masterpiece and one of the five greatest action films ever made. ;) I think that T2 is an absolutely brilliant film and easily among Arnie's three best (along with The Terminator and Total Recall.)

My problem with T3 is that it was too derivative IMO. I think it's far less intelligent than the previous two films, Nick Stahl's John Connor is actually IMO lesser than Edward Furlong (who really was conflicted :D), Arnie's Terminator was interesting but I didn't care for him in the same way I did in T2, the action scenes were also nowhere near as good as in the first two films (although they were pretty good) and I will never forgive the makers of T3 for the way they introduced Arnie.
    Arnie's saying "Talk to the hand"

I have to say though, Alex, even though you may not love T2, I am delighted that you consider the original to be a masterpiece. I too dislike using that term, but I very much consider The Terminator (as well as T2) to be a true masterpiece. {[]

P.S. I consider Arnie's performance to be superior in The Terminator than in T2, but T2, due to Arnie's performance and role , was the first film that ever caused me to cry. :'(
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    edited January 2007
    Dammit, I had a lengthy reply typed out and then "Page expired" .

But yeah, it just worked out that way, Tony, I'm sure I'll get around to seeing T3 eventually. If anything, for Kristina Loken. I'm glad to hear a few votes for it though. Never listen to the movie critics anyway.

T2 blew me away in the theatre, but my revisit hasn't been kind. I think the storyline is mediocre, and I'm not a fan of the "morph" trend it kicked in. But as a spectacle action movie it definitely delivers in spades. Who can resist Arnold in black leather, shades and a killer bike?

The original though can really pound the nostaglia. I remember my sister had this complex explanation to the chicken or the egg ending. We had it on vhs and watched it a lot. She had this thing for Michael Biehn. And the Stan Winston models are outstanding.
    edited January 2007
    Ironically enough Dan, I think I enjoyed T3 more than T2 for the very same reasons that you liked it less. Arnold did subtly lampoon his character at times but I thought that was a very clever and gutsy move on his part. The little gags and mannerisms he brought to the role made him more interesting to me and I also found it very interesting and ironic that...
    he had killed John Conner in the future and had then been reprogrammed to go back in time and save him.

As I said before, it introduced an ambivalence to the character that was touched upon again when the T-X tries to reprogram him.

Oh, and Kristanna Loken's introduction as the T-X is also very ... ahem ... memorable in its own right. ;) I wouldn't mind seeing that particular model make a return appearance in a future movie or TV show.
    Alex wrote:
    But yeah, it just worked out that way, Tony, I'm sure I'll get around to seeing T3 eventually. If anything, for Kristina Loken. I'm glad to hear a few votes for it though. Never listen to the movie critics anyway.

Yes, Kristanna definitely has a memorable introduction ... :x
    T3 blew me away in the theatre, but my revisit hasn't been kind. I think the storyline is mediocre, and I'm not a fan of the "morph" trend it kicked in. But as a spectacle action movie it definitely delivers in spades. Who can resist Arnold in black leather, shades and a killer bike?

I always thought T2 was a little too long for its own good; the original was shorter, tigher and much more well paced IMHO. I also never cared for the evolution of Linda Hamilton's character; she was a strong but caring individual in the original but went too far to the other extreme in T2.
    The original though can really pound the nostaglia. I remember my sister had this complex explanation to the chicken or the egg ending. We had it on vhs and watched it a lot. She had this thing for Michael Biehn. And the Stan Winston models are outstanding.

They did a good job on the Reece / John Connor mobius loop, even tying in the picture of Sarah at the end.

Here's a piece of arcane trivia for you: I used to write articles for an Apple computer magazine called Nibble back in the 1980's; the magazine would regularly print source code listings in BASIC and assembly langauge for programs that you could enter into your own computer. When Terminator premiered we all quickly realized that the producers were using code from the magazine in the scenes where we see things thru the Terminator's eyes as the computer code scrolls down. I never spotted any of my programs though. :))