Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

arthur pringlearthur pringle SpacePosts: 366MI6 Agent
edited October 2007 in Off Topic Chat
Watching Raiders Of The Lost Ark again recently and seeing Harrison Ford look great and very fit in a BBC interview last month I wondered if anyone knows whether Indy 4 is definitely going to happen or not? I know people have mixed feelings on this film but I would love to see Indy back on the screen of my local cinema one last time.We have Superman back so wouldn't it be great to have Indiana Jones back too?

I understand that in order to fit in with Ford's age this film would be set in the fifties rather than the thirties,so no nazis,but who exactly would be the villains? And what is Indy searching for? Atlantis? If they have a story in mind it has been very closely guarded.

Comments

• highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    Watching Raiders Of The Lost Ark again recently and seeing Harrison Ford look great and very fit in a BBC interview last month I wondered if anyone knows whether Indy 4 is definitely going to happen or not? I know people have mixed feelings on this film but I would love to see Indy back on the screen of my local cinema one last time.We have Superman back so wouldn't it be great to have Indiana Jones back too?

I understand that in order to fit in with Ford's age this film would be set in the fifties rather than the thirties,so no nazis,but who exactly would be the villains? And what is Indy searching for? Atlantis? If they have a story in mind it has been very closely guarded.

I read somewhere there was finally a script, but I think Spielberg's schedule may be the problem now. He's doing some sort of sci-fi film now about a trip to another dimension and then he has a film about Lincoln waiting in the wings, with Liam Neeson as Abe. I'm really anticipating that one, by the way. The casting is terrific. Neeson should make a very credible Lincoln, physically. He's tall enough at any rate, and his facial features are a better-looking version of Lincoln's. And he has the acting chops.
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,286MI6 Agent
    I had read somewhere that since they now have a script everybody likes, added to the fact that none of them are getting any younger, it's very likely Spielberg may mix his schedule up a bit and film Indy IV next. Everybody seems to be gung ho about it, especially Harrison Ford, and I'd hope that we'll have some definitive info by the fall.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,309MI6 Agent
    They should ditch Ford and cast Matt Damon instead...
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    As long as the script is not written by Jeffrey Boam (who IMO butchered the characters in 'Last Crusade') I'll look forward to an Indy 4!
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,515Chief of Staff

Matt Damon? Matt Damon??!
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    darenhat wrote:
    As long as the script is not written by Jeffrey Boam (who IMO butchered the characters in 'Last Crusade') I'll look forward to an Indy 4!

From what I last read,Frank Marshall wrote the Indy IV screenplay everyone involved seems to like.Whether it'll actually be made is another thing altogether but supposedly both Connery and Ford want to do it.
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    I hope Indiana Jones 4 does become a reality, especially with Spielberg at the helm. Nobody does action films with quite the style that he does. Cubby turning him down twice for a James Bond film has got to be one of the great Hollywood ironies.

According to rumors, Damon will be busy playing young Captain Kirk in J.J. Abrams' upcoming Star Trek movie.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    TonyDP wrote:
    According to rumors, Damon will be busy playing young Captain Kirk in J.J. Abrams' upcoming Star Trek movie.

That's interesting...They'll probably get my admission $$ for that one... {[]

As far as Indy 4 goes...that seems a FAR more appropriate swan song for Sir Sean Connery. B-)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • arthur pringlearthur pringle SpacePosts: 366MI6 Agent
    Thanks for the info everyone.It looks like this film will happen which is good news IMO.I agree about the Last Crusade script.In Raiders Denholm Elliot's character says to Indy that if he'd been a few years younger he would have gone on the adventure himself and we believe him.In The Last Crusade he is turned into a complete buffoon and played for laughs.I never did understand why they did that.
    TonyDP wrote:

Thanks for the warning.Who plays young Spock--Jimmy Fallon?
  • MBE_MBE_ USAPosts: 266MI6 Agent
    TonyDP wrote:

That's just wrong. There's only one James Tiberius Kirk and Damon isn't it. He's not sexy enough (I could never buy Damon lusting after blue chicks with antennas) and he doesn't overract enough to fill Shatner's space boots and tight shirts.

Speaking of franchises in for another revamp -- Paramount is looking to do another Jack Ryan but with a younger actor. Maybe it will deal with Ryan the high school years.

As for Indiana Jones 4 -- From Variety's current article on Dreamworks.

Snider's current task will be finding the next picture Spielberg directs. Having made two 2005 movies back-to-back, "War of the Worlds" and "Munich," the prolific Spielberg has not yet committed to his next film. But there are several projects on the drawing board, including an Abraham Lincoln biopic, an untitled space travel project at Paramount and a script by Rod Lurie set in the glitzy New York media world as well as "Indiana Jones 4," which Paramount would co-finance with George Lucas' Lucasfilm. David Koepp's script is expected in two to three months.

So this latest script is even a few months away. Even if they started immediately after getting it Indy 4 would come out at the earliest -- summer of 2008.

MBE
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    I hope they put Indy 4 at the front of the line; nobody involved with this one is getting any younger... :o
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    edited June 2006
    Please keep Damon or Affleck as far from Indy or Trek as possible.
  • I never missI never miss EnglandPosts: 47MI6 Agent
    Indy 4 has been rumoured for some years now. I am really beginning to have my doubts that it'll ever happen. In any case, they will never be able to improve on Raiders, which is actually IMO far superior to a number of Bond films.
    edited June 2006
    MBE_ wrote:
    TonyDP wrote:

That's just wrong. There's only one James Tiberius Kirk and Damon isn't it. He's not sexy enough (I could never buy Damon lusting after blue chicks with antennas) and he doesn't overract enough to fill Shatner's space boots and tight shirts.

Going off topic here but James T. Kirk was one of my childhood heroes; I turned my back on the Star Trek franchise when he was offed in Generations (horrible movie, BTW). I agree that Damon does not at first glance appear to fit the classic Kirk mold at all. It...would be next to...impossible...to find an actor that could...make me forget...about William Shatner.
    edited June 2006
    TonyDP wrote:
    MBE_ wrote:
    TonyDP wrote:

Going off topic here but James T. Kirk was one of my childhood heroes; I turned my back on the Star Trek franchise when he was offed in Generations (horrible movie, BTW). I agree that Damon does not fit the Kirk mold at all. It...would be next to...impossible...to find an actor that could...make me forget...about William Shatner.

Here's an idea--rather than deal with the Kirk character again,why not focus this film on Captain Christopher Pike?The late Jeffrey Hunter played Pike once--in the original pilot which later was the basis for a special Star Trek episode.Pike served as the template for what later became the James T.Kirk character.

I think Chris Evans might be good casting in this role.He's in his 20s and does the egotistical but charming types pretty well.IMO He was the best thing about Fantastic Four and displayed enough range to play either a young Kirk or Pike--preferably Pike.Compared to Kirk,Pike's practically a blank slate so there are all kinds of things the writers can do with him.Let's see a little more originality involved with this movie.

It might be even more interesting if the new Trek film dealt with an entirely new group of characters as opposed to Kirk and Spock and Pike.

Of course,Abrams will probably get whomever he wants.Maybe that human chameleon Will Ferrell will eventually wind up playing Kirk--with Stephen Colbert as Spock and Jack Black as McCoy.
    You could even go further back in time and focus it on Robert April, the first captain of the newly commissioned NCC 1701 U.S.S. Enterprise.

Either way, I really wish any new incarnation of Trek would find it's own voice and it's own family of characters rather than recycling these iconic characters that we've followed for 40 years.
    edited June 2006
    TonyDP wrote:
    You could even go further back in time and focus it on Robert April, the first captain of the newly commissioned NCC 1701 U.S.S. Enterprise.

Either way, I really wish any new incarnation of Trek would find it's own voice and it's own family of characters rather than recycling these iconic characters that we've followed for 40 years.

Me too.Apparently name recognition means more to Abrams than imagination does and that's a great shame.Here's an opportunity to use new characters within the Trek universe and it's being intentionally ignored.In fairness,Paramount may be insisting on the reuse of Kirk Spock and possibly McCoy.If that's the case, then it's a terrible idea--particularly with famous actors assuming these roles.
  • arthur pringlearthur pringle SpacePosts: 366MI6 Agent
    edited June 2006
    JMS (the creator of Babylon 5) came up with a reboot idea for Star Trek on television a few years ago.He wanted to focus on a younger Kirk,Spock and Mcoy and completely reboot the Star Trek world in the same way they rebooted Battlestar Galatica recently.In seems they've taken this idea and decided to try and do it as a film.
  • MBE_MBE_ USAPosts: 266MI6 Agent
    The difference is Battlestar Gallactica was a rather cheesy show (which I enjoyed) that was a blip on the TV radar. So while there was some hub-bub about Starbuck being changed into a woman not many cared. And the tone of the show is so much different.

Star Trek is an iconic TV series as are the lead characters and the actors who did those roles. They had a choice when doing the films and following TV series whether to replace the actors with younger actors or just continue with the original actors in the films and make new characters for the shows. They chose the later. By doing that they further entrenched Kirk, Spock, etc in the public consciousness as only being Shatner, Nimoy etc. I think it's too late to get people to want to see a new Kirk and Spock. And they've already done so many different TV series with different tones so what would be new for a new Kirk/Spock series? And if it was new would it be what the audience wanted to see? The space cowboy fun/joy of discovery element of the first series was never IMO replicated to the same success in any of the following series and it's what made the series unique.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited June 2006
    I would love for there to be a fourth Indiana Jones film. I loved Raiders, I enjoyed Temple of Doom, and I really liked Last Crusade, but my concrn is Harrison Ford's age. He is the only actor who IMO is capable of playing Indy. The problem is, however, he's in his 60's. I don't know whether or not he'll be able to convincingly play this whip cracking hero. I hope so, but IMO this is the film's biggest test.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,886Chief of Staff
    Dan Same wrote:
    . . .my concrn is Harrison Ford's age. He is the only actor who IMO is capable of playing Indy. The problem is, however, he's in his 60's. I don't know whether or not he'll be able to convincingly play this whip cracking hero. I hope so, but IMO this is the film's biggest test.

A lot of critics have been grumbling that Ford is still playing the same kinds of heroes he did twenty years ago, and that he's no longer convincing. To my mind, if there's an Indy IV, it should be set in the 1950s and Indy's age should be a part of the story. Perhaps he could come out of retirement or some such hackneyed device. I think an elderly Indy trying to get back into the game could add to the humor and maybe even lend some poignancy to the film.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Dan Same wrote:
    . . .my concrn is Harrison Ford's age. He is the only actor who IMO is capable of playing Indy. The problem is, however, he's in his 60's. I don't know whether or not he'll be able to convincingly play this whip cracking hero. I hope so, but IMO this is the film's biggest test.

A lot of critics have been grumbling that Ford is still playing the same kinds of heroes he did twenty years ago, and that he's no longer convincing. To my mind, if there's an Indy IV, it should be set in the 1950s and Indy's age should be a part of the story. Perhaps he could come out of retirement or some such hackneyed device. I think an elderly Indy trying to get back into the game could add to the humor and maybe even lend some poignancy to the film.

I think they'd have to address Ford's age at this point as it's very common knowledge that he's in his mid 60's; they'd all be laughed out of the theater if they ignored it. Still, there's nothing wrong with a more geriatric action hero (Sean Connery made a living off such roles for the past 20 years).

I also wouldn't be surprised if we see Henry Jones III as part of this movie, with Indy acting as more of a mentor and stabilizing influence (similar to Connery in Last Crusade).
    Hardyboy wrote:
    I think an elderly Indy trying to get back into the game could add to the humor and maybe even lend some poignancy to the film.
    As long as the humour isn't OTT. It's one thing to enjoy a few chuckles with Indy but it's another to laugh at his expense. Indiana Jones was arguably one of the all-time great heroes, so regarding Indiana 4, I really hope the filmmakers take him seriously. He shouldn't be treated as a joke.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Dan Same wrote:
    Hardyboy wrote:
    I think an elderly Indy trying to get back into the game could add to the humor and maybe even lend some poignancy to the film.
    As long as the humour isn't OTT. It's one thing to enjoy a few chuckles with Indy but it's another to laugh at his expense. Indiana Jones was arguably one of the all-time great heroes, so regarding Indiana 4, I really hope the filmmakers take him seriously. He shouldn't be treated as a joke.

And that's one of the reasons I loathed 'Last Crusade'...too much humor. There were a few laughs in Raiders and Temple of Doom, but when the storyline contains too many humorous elements, the 'danger' becomes less involving and you lose too much of the power of the action and suspense. That, and the fact that some of the action scenes were simply too contrived and disjointed in Indy 3.
    edited June 2006
    darenhat wrote:
    And that's one of the reasons I loathed 'Last Crusade'...too much humor. There were a few laughs in Raiders and Temple of Doom, but when the storyline contains too many humorous elements, the 'danger' becomes less involving and you lose too much of the power of the action and suspense. That, and the fact that some of the action scenes were simply too contrived and disjointed in Indy 3.
    I actually felt that the humerous aspects were handled well due to Connery's performance. I thought he was great and so he turned what could have been cringe-worthy aspects into IMO some of the film's best moments. I do think that the film had problems (it's overlong, its second half is far superior to its first and some of its action scenes did feel rather tired) but I think it could have been much worse if it weren't for Sir Sean.

Last Crusade is my second favourite Indiana Jones film; Temple of Doom is by far my least favourite, while Raiders is IMO one of the best adventure films of all time.
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    Thought this might be of some interest...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6074668.stm

Actor Ford 'fit' to play Indiana

Actor Harrison Ford has said he feels "fit" at the age of 64 to reprise the role of action hero Indiana Jones.

Ford, who last played the part in 1989's The Last Crusade, said he could "bring the same physical action" to a fourth movie.

George Lucas and Steven Spielberg have said they are working on a script for the fourth movie, which has been in development for more than 10 years.

Ford said that Sean Connery may return as Indiana Jones' father.

"He's part of the emotional fabric of these films. I believe that Sean is still willing and I'd be delighted if he joined us," said the actor at the Rome Film Festival.

Former James Bond star Connery, who was at the Rome event last week, said that no offer had been made.

Ford did not disclose any further details about a possible filming schedule or locations, adding that Lucas and Spielberg - who worked on the previous films - have yet to complete a script.

"I think it's a real opportunity to make a film as successful as the ones we've made before," he said.

The first two films in the Indiana Jones trilogy were Raiders of The Lost Ark (1981) and 1984's Temple of Doom.

The trilogy picked up a total of seven Academy Award nominations, while Steven Spielberg gained a best director nomination for Raiders of The Lost Ark.
    unitedkingdom.png
    I suppose it's always neat to hear that there is still interest in making an Indy 4. At this point, I know it couldn't possibly be an equal to ROTLA, so I can just sit back and enjoy it for what it is. Ford and Connery are simply great to watch on screen, no matter the age.

...oh, and technically speaking, Harrison Ford last revisited the role in 1993 for a brief appearance in a Young Indiana Jones television movie.

indy50.jpg
    The appearance was a circa 1950's Jones retelling a rather out of place story about blues music.
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,743MI6 Agent
    Here's an idea--rather than deal with the Kirk character again,why not focus this film on Captain Christopher Pike?

Well, I'd say if you're going to that time period of Trek and you don't show Kirk, a lot of people will be wondering why. Kirk, Spock etc. are the strongest characters the series ever had and now ever-worsening, increasingly dull characters have ruined the whole thing it needs something more interesting than just another bunch of new characters to get people to turn up. Get the best, most interesting, most iconic characters back- the ones the audience actually have an attachment to. And to see Bond fans saying that only one man can play an iconic role is ironic! :D