why Zorin is the best villain!

Zorin13Zorin13 Great BritainPosts: 8MI6 Agent
Max Zorin is the best bond villain because he has style,charm and is completely insane. He doesn't seem to worry about consequences he's not in the least bit intimidated by his KGB Superiors,Bond or heights he also has some of the best quips in the series that are just as good as Bonds

(example) (Mayday will provide you with a drink.) To man about to be dropped into the sea.

(So! does anyone else want to drop out.) to the rest of the cartel.

(This'll hurt him more than me) to Scarpine about Bond

Comments

• 00640064 Somewhere out west...Posts: 1,083MI6 Agent
    Yes he is a good villian, but he is by no means the best. Here's why.

I think that Walken plays this part well, but I really can't see him as a gentleman that he tries to be...he is a much more crazy man.

Second, Walken doesn't have that much villiany....he is a little too nice...

Lastly, that laugh is so annoying...please get him off of the screen.
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    Everyone knows what I think, Zorin is by far one of the best (if not the best) villain for his charm, sadistic streak, his villainous plots, his henchwomen (Jenny), and his intuitive improvisation (which is the secret of genius).
    Everyone knows what I think, Zorin is by far one of the best (if not the best) villain for his charm, sadistic streak, his villainous plots, his henchwomen (Jenny), and his intuitive improvisation (which is the secret of genius).

Yes, JFF, I really like that genious line.....that was an absolutely brilliant plan for Bond at the courthouse if he planned it on the fly. I mean I certainly wouldn't have been able to plan it on the fly.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    his villainous plots
    You mean his villainous plots which he stole from Goldfinger. :p :D
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    his villainous plots

Some people see something in common with the locations too. First they go to Switerland or France. then onto America. slack

Anyway, Christopher Walken is a great actor. Hes very talented and was an asset to the film. The character of Zorin was however a liability. What do you expect when he puts his faith in Mayday over Jenny Flex (that should appease JFF)
  • Hunter HarryHunter Harry Posts: 21MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    his villainous plots

Did Auric Goldfinger attempt to frame someone for the death of a lawyer and the burning down of City Hall?
  • wordswords Buckinghamshire, EnglandPosts: 249MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    his villainous plots

Did Auric Goldfinger attempt to frame someone for the death of a lawyer and the burning down of City Hall?

Absolutely right Hunter Harry. Dan is just trying to goad JFF (which is always a popular sport around here when we get on the subject of AVTAK ;) ).

I think Zorin is the best thing about AVTAK, whether that makes him the best villian is debateable.
    No, but both men attempted to increase the price of their product (gold or microchips) by destroying the key facility which houses said products (Fort Knox or Silicon Valley).
    words wrote:
    Absolutely right Hunter Harry. Dan is just trying to goad JFF (which is always a popular sport around here when we get on the subject of AVTAK ;) ).
    That is certainly part of it. :D
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Hunter HarryHunter Harry Posts: 21MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    No, but both men attempted to increase the price of their product (gold or microchips) by destroying the key facility which houses said products (Fort Knox or Silicon Valley).
    words wrote:
    That is certainly part of it. :D

OK, I knew about the stolen major plot and the airship scene is pretty much ripped from Goldfinger, only sped up, but Zorin is a better villian than Goldfinger, in my opinion, but is underneath Blofeld considerably in my estimation.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,277MI6 Agent
    He's more animated and fun than most of the previous Bond villains that's for sure. Generally I prefer Drax, but Zorin is more fly. He's younger than Bond but not annoyingly so like Gustav Graves.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • steelydan3steelydan3 Posts: 65MI6 Agent
    edited August 2006
    0064 wrote:

I think that Walken plays this part well, but I really can't see him as a gentleman that he tries to be...he is a much more crazy man.

So gunning down innocent workers isn't nasty enough for you, 0064? No pleasing some people! :)) He's been my favourite villain for quite some time. Goldfinger is probably the iconic and most complete Bond, but Walken does it every time for me.
    steelydan3 wrote:
    0064 wrote:

So gunning down innocent workers isn't nasty enough for you, 0064? No pleasing some people! :)) He's been my favourite villain for quite some time. Goldfinger is probably the iconic and most complete Bond, but Walken does it every time for me.

Well, what I should have said was sinister....he was always too happy for a Bond villian...nasty, yes, sinister...no.
  • Klaus HergescheimerKlaus Hergescheimer Posts: 332MI6 Agent
    Walken plays the part of Zorin expertly. However, I cannot consider Zorin to be one of the best villians or AVTAK one of the best movies for the simple reason that, with the exception of the physical difference and the change in industry, he is a shameless rip-off of Auric Goldfinger as AVTAK is a shameless rip-off of GF the film. Now, I'm not as much of a GF homer as many are, but it is still one of the most fun Bond films of all time, and AVTAK doesn't even hold a candle to it.

In order for me to consider a villian to be great, said villian must be unique at the time of his arrival in the series. The likes of Dr. No, Blofeld, Goldfinger, Largo, Mr. Big, Scaramunga, Sanchez, Trevelyan, Elektra, and Renard fulfill this, and I consider them great. Villians like Stromberg, Drax, Zorin, Carver, and Graves are all rip-offs in some form or another of previous villians (and some are even more direct rip-offs of each other), so, in my view, they really add nothing exciting to the franchise.
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    I will give Zorin credit for that last little laugh he gives when slipping off the Golden Gate Bridge. That one little touch gave us an insight into his madness as, having spent so much time delighting in the downfall of others, takes a schizophrenic glee at his own plight. It was a moment that certainly seperated Zorin from the other Bond villians. Kudos to whoever came up with that little moment!
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    taity wrote:
    Dan Same wrote:
    his villainous plots

Some people see something in common with the locations too. First they go to Switerland or France. then onto America. slack

Anyway, Christopher Walken is a great actor. Hes very talented and was an asset to the film. The character of Zorin was however a liability. What do you expect when he puts his faith in Mayday over Jenny Flex (that should appease JFF)

Though you say it's a rip off, you have appeased me by Zorin not placing main henchwoman trust in Jenny. Bad move on his part, eh? I think the plot of AVTAK, though very close to Goldfinger is not as close as Goldfinger and TWINE's plots.

Goldfinger = Auric Goldfinger uses a nuclear bomb to turn America's gold radioactive and dominate the gold market.

AVTAK = Max Zorin uses an earthquake to sink Silicon Valley and corner the microchip market.

TWINE = Elektra King uses a nuclear bomb to destroy Istanbul and dominate the oil market.

However, Zorin is in my top 3 villains list at least and Walken is a very good actor.
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    To me, AVTAK is a movie where the sum of its parts are less than the parts themselves.

I loved the Golden Gate Bridge fight. I think it was one of the most impressive fights in the series in recent years. There was genuine suspense there. However, the movie suffers from such things as Stacy not hearing a motorised blimp sneak up on her.

The Effle Tower jump is very impressive, and the car chase is also original. However, the lunch scene before it feels a little forced, as if the French detective character was made specifically for that purpose. The plot of the movie can easily been described without mentioning the detective at all. Feels too forced.

Also, the horse farm scenes drag on for too long.

Mayday is too masculine.

Jenny Flex is under utilised (I do believe that, Im not trying to get on JFFs good side.)

I just think that the movie felt a little weak and boring at times, and it wasnt helped that the action scenes felt so exagerated for a Bond of Moore's age. I like what they did in FYEO where the action scenes didnt feel so impossible for someone that age to do.
  • GeorgiboyGeorgiboy Posts: 632MI6 Agent
    edited August 2007
    I think Zorin is a great villain, but not the best. He is evil and certainly mad but is not too sinister. He is practically a maniac who thinks he can do what he wants because he has alot of money.

The final fight on the bridge though has got to be my favorite fight of all time. The music on the fight is awesome and Zorin you can tell is ****ed off and really wants to kill bond.

Anyway, I think he is a good villain. Definitely in my top 5, but not my favorite. Probably number 3 on my list. Number 1 on my list goes to Emilio Largo.
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    Max Zorin is my favourite villain. I just found him really entertaining to watch, menacing, memorable, and the fact that he was a complete psycho was great, not to mention the fact that he was played by a brilliant actor.

Those are my reasons for liking Zorin the best out of all villains.

I can't think of another villain that's similar to him in any way... ideas anyone?
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • GeorgiboyGeorgiboy Posts: 632MI6 Agent
    Jarvio wrote:
    I can't think of another villain that's similar to him in any way... ideas anyone?

Max Largo on NSNA was pretty similar to Zorin. Both were insane and had charm.

BTW, I preferred Largo on TB(my favorite villain) over Largo on NSNA.
    edited August 2007
    I like Zorin. He was played by Christoper Walken which is more than enough to make me appreciate him. However I don't think he was a great villain and I wouldn't put him in my top 20. My problems with him are that I don't think he was well written and I found him to be too unhinged which upset the balance of AVTAK.
  • thechickenthechicken Posts: 5MI6 Agent
    I don't like best and worse things, but Zorin is definitely one of my favorite villains...Walken makes it wonderfully, he is a great actor, and fits the character like a glove.
    A view to a kill is one of my 007 favorite movies, even if Roger Moore doesn't like it much, neither the rest of the fans.
  • Sweepy the CatSweepy the Cat Halifax, West Yorkshire, EnglaPosts: 986MI6 Agent
    Zorin is usually criticised for killing all his miners but I see that as a good thing because it showshow evil he really is.
    207qoznfl4.gif
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    edited June 2008
    Zorin by no means was the best Bond villian but he could've killed Bond easily on the GG bridge if he had just commanded the blimp pilot to give the ship something other than more steam to shake him loose...

Zorin: "I think he's on the verge of falling...but... we're going to need more cowbell!" :D
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • sharpshootersharpshooter Posts: 164MI6 Agent
    edited June 2008
    Christopher Walken is a great actor; Zorin was one redeeming quality in what was a tired, lacklustre film.