Would Daltons Bond 17 ruined bond?

heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
Even though im sure it would have been fantastic, did the 6 year break between 1989 and 1995 do bond good?

What if Dalton did a third?

Because Goldeneye is vastly different to the earlier bonds in terms of post cold war ideaology.

Thoughts?
1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."

Comments

• darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    I don't think so. Suppose Dalton were to make GE after a typical two-year, maybe even three-year, interim so the film were to hit theaters in 91 or 92, I think it would have been fine.

Obviously Eon would have learned a thing or two from their failures, and taken a new approach...lighten the tone, organize better promotion, and avoiding incredibly tough competing films like Batman and Lethal Weapon, maybe even bring in a fresh director. I think the film would have been better than LTK, but possibly not perform as well as GE actually did 95, which benefited from a longer absence and notably a new Bond.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Like darenhat, I don't believe another Dalton film would have hurt the series. Look at Roger Moore: his second Bond film did poor business in the U.S. and underperformed in Britain, was panned by much of the press, and was followed by a disruption in the management of EON when Harry Saltzman left. Many thought the series was doomed, but EON responded with The Spy Who Loved Me, a huge hit that led to audiences and critics accepting Moore and which ensured the survival of the series. Chances are, a third Dalton film might have been designed along the same lines as was TSWLM and would have delivered the same results.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    Its one of those big "what ifs" questions. I think that if Bond 17 went a bit more TLD with the light touches of humour it may have done very well. But we are speculating widely.

Also, Bond 17 would have been another movie completely different to GoldenEye - GoldenEye has to take place after the collapse of the Soviet Union.
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    Dan and I could both say something, but I shall refrain in fear of being flayed alive.
    Dan and I could both say something, but I shall refrain in fear of being flayed alive.

and thats stopped you before when?
  • wordswords Buckinghamshire, EnglandPosts: 249MI6 Agent
    I think the public was so desperate for Bond by the time Goldeneye came along that they could have cast John Cleese as Bond and it would have been a success (whether subsequent films would have been is another matter..).

Dalton would have been fine in Goldeneye but I don't think it would have scored as strongly in the States without Brosnan.
    taity wrote:

and thats stopped you before when?

Hmm... you have a point. I don't know, I'll say it now. I think the general public wasn't very pleased with LTK and the public really wanted Brosnan so I think Dalton's third would've added salt to the wound.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    JFF, I was there in 1989--I had just gotten my college degree when LTK came out--and I can testify that there was NO outcry against Dalton. Licence to Kill received many favorable reviews and, contrary to rumor, it didn't flop; however, it was all but blown away by the competition. LTK had a poor marketing plan in the U.S., and it had the misfortune of competing against Batman and Lethal Weapon II--right around the time movies started to make most of their profits in their first weekend of release. With people going to see these two megahyped blockbusters, Bond got lost in the shuffle.

It wasn't until around 1991, when no new Bond film had appeared and one didn't even seem to be on the horizon, that people began saying that the problem was either Dalton or that the Cold War was over. Neither was true--there was still a huge audience for Bond who would have been happy to see him return, whether played by Dalton or not.

So, I know you can't stand Dalton or his two Bond films, but that's no excuse to revise history!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    What Hardyboy said.

In 1989 no-one was even remotely calling for Dalton to be replaced - he was the Bond of choice, and that was it. No-one was calling for Brosnan to replace him - it was 3 years since he had nearly got the part, and his profile wasn't exactly high. In the UK and Europe he was a virtual unknown until The Lawnmower Man (which was sold on its special effects, not its star).

In the UK, LTK was the seventh most popular film of the year, and the perception at the time was that it had been harmed by its "15" certificate, restricting Bond's traditional family audience from attending. There were grumblings about the direction the films had taken, but there had been those ever since Goldfinger.

What's more, judging by the various rumours and synopses floating around, Dalton's Bond 17 would have been a return to a more fantastical Bond, involving robot assassins and nuclear threats.

The hiatus did enable a clearing of the decks and made people clamour for a new Bond - a bit of "you don't know what you've got till it's gone". By the time GoldenEye arrived, people were again chomping at the bit for the new 007 epic.
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
  • JCSuperstarJCSuperstar Posts: 42MI6 Agent
    Honestly referring, I could stand Dalton as JB007 nor his hiatus that threw us into panic mode, because I thought that that wuld have been the demice of 007, since he was fired by M. Any takers on my take??? :D:D:o
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    there was some lawsuit that prevented 91 bond 17.
    so yea....
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • Klaus HergescheimerKlaus Hergescheimer Posts: 332MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:
    JFF, I was there in 1989--I had just gotten my college degree when LTK came out--and I can testify that there was NO outcry against Dalton. Licence to Kill received many favorable reviews and, contrary to rumor, it didn't flop; however, it was all but blown away by the competition. LTK had a poor marketing plan in the U.S., and it had the misfortune of competing against Batman and Lethal Weapon II--right around the time movies started to make most of their profits in their first weekend of release. With people going to see these two megahyped blockbusters, Bond got lost in the shuffle.

It wasn't until around 1991, when no new Bond film had appeared and one didn't even seem to be on the horizon, that people began saying that the problem was either Dalton or that the Cold War was over. Neither was true--there was still a huge audience for Bond who would have been happy to see him return, whether played by Dalton or not.

So, I know you can't stand Dalton or his two Bond films, but that's no excuse to revise history!

Not to mention that, internationally, LTK was very successful financially.
  • MBE_MBE_ USAPosts: 266MI6 Agent
    edited October 2006
    LTK didn't just underperform in the U.S. where it only opened against a re-issue of Peter Pan (and the 2nd week of Lethal Weapon, the other films had been weeks and even a couple months out) and was the lowest attended Bond in the U.S.. All Bond films have competition, and others have had more -- before LTK and after LTK. It wasn't just the opening (not that far off from TLD in the U.S. as concerns screen avg) but the legs that were poor for the genre at that time (as it lost way to movies that followed like Turner & Hooch).

No Bond film has been a flop but LTK was certainly a financial dissapointment for the series. They'd hoped to build on the audience of TLD and Dalton as Bond.

At 39.1 million worldwide admissions LTK was the lowest attended Bond worldwide as well. It dropped off 25% from TLD which is the third lowest attended Bond in the series. AVTAK is the 2nd lowest attended. It was not a great period for the franchise as regards popularity.

Dalton was brought in to reinvigorate the franchise as AVTAK was Roger's worst worldwide grosser but the modest uptick with TLD (still lower than TMWTGG- Roger's second lowest grosser) was lost with LTK. A 6 year break no doubt helped but I don't think that accounted for why GE had more than twice as many admissions worldwide as LTK and almost 3 times as many in the U.S.

As for the proposed fantastical 1991 film with assassin robots and the rumored Whoopi Goldberg I think it's best that it was never made, for Dalton and the series. It sounds not only awful but a very ill fitting match with Dalton's strengths as Bond. I believe that a TLD style film in the interim or even Dalton in GE after a 6 year gap would have done better financially than LTK though I sincerely doubt it would have approached the level of success GE had with a revamped approach and Brosnan.

MBE
    Its always hard to say if Dalton was a good Bond or not, but Ive found that he does actually have a big following out there of people who rate his movies higher than some of the weaker Moore/Connery/Brosnan ones.

As for LTK, the movie did actually do quite well in countries outside the US (as others have said before) - so before being called a failure people should state that they are only talking about its reception in one country.

And JFF - I knew youd respond with a little pushing.:p
    taity wrote:
    Its always hard to say if Dalton was a good Bond or not, but Ive found that he does actually have a big following out there of people who rate his movies higher than some of the weaker Moore/Connery/Brosnan ones.

As for LTK, the movie did actually do quite well in countries outside the US (as others have said before) - so before being called a failure people should state that they are only talking about its reception in one country.

And JFF - I knew youd respond with a little pushing.:p

Well, you certainly know how to push my buttons taity. ;)
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    MBE_ wrote:
    LTK didn't just underperform in the U.S. where it only opened against a re-issue of Peter Pan (and the 2nd week of Lethal Weapon, the other films had been weeks and even a couple months out) and was the lowest attended Bond in the U.S.. All Bond films have competition, and others have had more -- before LTK and after LTK. It wasn't just the opening (not that far off from TLD in the U.S. as concerns screen avg) but the legs that were poor for the genre at that time (as it lost way to movies that followed like Turner & Hooch).

No Bond film has been a flop but LTK was certainly a financial dissapointment for the series. They'd hoped to build on the audience of TLD and Dalton as Bond.

EON apparently decided that the summer blockn=buster season was not the place for Bond anymore. Attendance to Bond films was slipping. Notice that EON has not dared to venture into the summer cinema season since? Moving the release date to the "Christmas" season is just one of the many ideas that EON implemented which would have benefited a Dalton Bond 17.
  • MBE_MBE_ USAPosts: 266MI6 Agent
    edited October 2006
    darenhat wrote:
    MBE_ wrote:

EON apparently decided that the summer blockn=buster season was not the place for Bond anymore. Attendance to Bond films was slipping. Notice that EON has not dared to venture into the summer cinema season since? Moving the release date to the "Christmas" season is just one of the many ideas that EON implemented which would have benefited a Dalton Bond 17.

Goldeneye was planned for the summer but delays with the script and start of filming pushed it back to Nov. It worked there and it stayed but that wasn't the plan. Regardless, the last 4 Bond films have had far more competition than LTK did. The Nov/Dec season has become as crowded for large films now as the summer. And LTK came in the middle of July, after all the larger blockbusters had already opened. There was nothing in it's path. The films that opened after it in the next month were: Shag: The Movie, Friday the 13th Part VIII, Turner & Hooch, Lock Up, Parenthood and Young Einstein, The Abyss, A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child. Not exactly Lord of The Rings.

In fact the mid of Nov to the end of Dec is often the most packed 6 weeks on the film calendar. When TWINE opened against Sleepy Hollow it was the first time two films had opened over $30m in the same weekend and days later Toy Story II opened. DAD opened the second week of Harry Potter and LOTR was on the way and it competed with them in international markets. But one stat says it all -- TND opened the same day against Titanic, LTK opened against the reissue of Peter Pan. TND wound up with three times the admissions as LTK.

MBE
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    I dont think that the bond in 91 (daltons 17) would have been successful, they needed something fresh, look at the gap and change between TMWTGG and TSWLM, which both were caused by lawsuits/saltzman.

The things IMO that made GE successful:

- the big gap, like TSWLM
    - new bond
    - new director
    - new crew
    - new script idea, i.e. looking at bond itself
    - almost everything different lol

Even though i thought that the 2 Dalton Bonds were fantastic, and i really like LTK, it became tired, they needed the 6 year break. Alot changed between 1989 & 1995.

"Better make that two."
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    edited October 2006
    For myself, I'm grateful that Whoopi Goldberg never appeared in a Bond 17, Dalton or not... :o

Too many variables..."Uncertain, an alternate past is," as Yoda might have said...Surely Eon would have done something more 'status quo' with Dalton for a third turn---perhaps a big soundstage set piece, and a more TSWLM approach, as Hardy indicated, and the ship probably would have righted itself.

A third film, at least, would have been another opportunity to get the balance right with Dalton, which IMRO they never quite managed, despite his acting prowess---LTK, the 'grittiest' Bond movie ever, did feature a wheelie-popping big rig, after all...and Bond defending himself against a mounted swordfish. :s

I enjoyed Dalton, but (to me) they never figured out how to best utilize what he brought to the table.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    JFF has expressed my feelings exactly. ;)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Klaus HergescheimerKlaus Hergescheimer Posts: 332MI6 Agent
    Being one who considers Dalton to have been the best Bond ever, I think my thoughts on this particular topic would be pretty clear.

Really, I don't see how the styling of the character in GE was very different from that of TLD or LTK. TLD and LTK emphasized a bit more of the darker side of the literary character, but I still found Brosnan's portrayal in GE to be pretty similiar to Dalton's. If you inserted Dalton in GE instead of Brosnan, I think you would have ended up with a very similiar product.

Dalton DID NOT ruin Bond. Nor was he the root of any "weakness" in the franchise at the time, for reasons that posters above have so articulately enumerated. If given a better date with less box office competition and a better marketing campaign (both of which GE was a benefactor in a big way), LTK would have been a much greater success in the US (it was a success internationally, which many seem to conveniently forget), and much of the negative light in which the movie is cast with regards to its impact on the franchise would not exist.
    edited October 2006
    I know this is OTT but I have to respond to a couple of things:
    Really, I don't see how the styling of the character in GE was very different from that of TLD or LTK. TLD and LTK emphasized a bit more of the darker side of the literary character, but I still found Brosnan's portrayal in GE to be pretty similiar to Dalton's. If you inserted Dalton in GE instead of Brosnan, I think you would have ended up with a very similiar product.
    I completely disagree. I really don't think that Brosnan's portrayal in GE was similar to Dalton in the slightest. If anything, Brosnan's portrayal was similar to Connery. The reason why I think Brosann was different to Dalton is that IMO, unlike Dalton, Brosnan was suave, convincingly ruthless, humerous and understood that being Bond also means being a gentleman who smiles from time to time . IMO Brosnan's Bond was more similar to Connery and I believe that if you were to insert Dalton in GE, you would end up with an entirely different product.
    Dalton DID NOT ruin Bond. Nor was he the root of any "weakness" in the franchise at the time, for reasons that posters above have so articulately enumerated.
    It depends in what you define by 'ruin' or 'weakness.' If you mean that LTK's relative lack of success (perhaps only in the US) wasn't due to Dalton, then fine, but if you're talking about quality, then I disagree. In terms of quality, I do believe that Dalton ruined Bond and that he was the root of the weakness in the franchise in the late 80's.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    edited October 2006
    Dan Same wrote:
    In terms of quality, I do believe that Dalton ruined Bond and that he was the root of the weakness in the franchise in the late 80's.

The '80s were not a good decade full stop for Bond. There were obvious problems before Dalton stepped into the breach. I think the Dalton era would have benefited greatly with a different director. John Glen seemed a little too comfortable and stale.

I am surprised that no one, apart from jetset, mentioned the 15 certificate LTK received in the UK.That must have cost a whole demographic and that had to hurt. I am waiting with anticipation to see what CR gets.

As for Bond 17, I think it would have done just fine and Dalton would have been seen in a more favourable light. The producers have a track record for 'fixing' things when they go slightly array and I think it would have been a more generic Bond movie.

TLD always gets favourable reviews , its LTK that the audience seem to have a problem with so the problem wasn't Dalton it was the movies. It is a shame that Tim is only remembered for LTK and the good work of Daylights is largely forgotten.

Still, you are only as good as your last movie.I personally love LTK but it is a shame Tim never got that chance to redress the balance for general audience.
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    Dalton DID NOT ruin Bond. Nor was he the root of any "weakness" in the franchise at the time, for reasons that posters above have so articulately enumerated.
    It depends in what you define by 'ruin' or 'weakness.' If you mean that LTK's relative a lack of success (perhaps only in the US) wasn't due to Dalton, then fine, but if you're talking about quality, then I disagree. In terms of quality, I do believe that Dalton ruined Bond and that he was the root of the weakness in the franchise in the late 80's.
    Hogwash.

Dalton's edgier performance paved the road ahead for audiences to accept someone other the Moore. If it wasn't for Tim Dalton, Brosnan would've had to change everyone's mind about Roger being Bond single handedly. He never had to worry about that since the Welshman took all the heat. In terms of "Quality" Dalton was an excellent, dapper gentleman with a dangerous flair and maturity which rivalled only Connery.

Read a novel, please.

There is only one definition for "ruined and "weakness" so I've no idea what you're getting at.
    edited October 2006
    Alex wrote:
    In terms of "Quality" Dalton was an excellent, dapper gentleman with a dangerous flair and maturity which rivalled only Connery.

Read a novel, please.

There is only one definition for "ruined and "weakness" so I've no idea what you're getting at.
    Alex, I actually resisted posting as I didn't want to turn this thread into one about the merits of Dalton ;), however I will make three quick comments:

1)He may very be an "excellent, dapper gentleman with a dangerous flair and maturity" in real life but on screen he came across to me as anything but that. The description which you used would IMO be best used to describe Moore and Brosnan, not Dalton. I know that will offend some Dalton fans but that's my view.

2)I don't really know what reading a novel has to do with this as I'm basing my views on his performance.

3)When I use the words "ruined" and "weakened" I mean precisely that IMO Dalton's portrayal weakend TLD and ruined LTK, which I believe could have been a great film.
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    edited October 2006
    While your views are perfectly acceptable Dan (as that's what they are, your views), don't make the mistake of projecting your dislike of Dalton's portrayal onto the impact of LTK at the US box office and the six year hiatus that followed.

As has been trotted out by the very knowledgable posters above, who were all around to witness it, none of that had to do with Timothy Dalton. Particularly the hiatus, which was caused by a lengthy legal battle that engulfed EON and nothing to do with any film - fact.

So though you may think Dalton's weakened the Bond franchise in the late 80s, that's your view, it is most certainly not fact.
    unitedkingdom.png
    edited October 2006
    MR 5, I don't know if you read my original response to Klaus, but I have never 'projected my dislike of Dalton's portrayal onto the impact of LTK at the US box office and the six year hiatus that followed.' In my initial responce to Klaus, and in the comments that were quoted by LR and Alex, I specifically framed my comments in a context of quality. I also noted several times that I was speaking off topic. I didn't contest any of the reasons stated above for LTK's low US box office, nor did I even address the box office issue; I was simply responding to a post which I thought brought up debatable issues about quality.
    So though you may think Dalton's weakened the Bond franchise in the late 80s, that's your view, it is most certainly not fact.
    I have never stated that it wasn't fact. I even noted that it was my view in my most recent post. ;)

MR 5, I am perfectly happy to be reprimanded if I did something wrong, but in this case I think there has a big misunderstanding because I never did any of the things that you believe I did. ;)
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    edited October 2006
    Oh, then I must have taken this rather strong statement out of context then, and the posters that followed must have too.
    Dan Same wrote:
    I do believe that Dalton ruined Bond and that he was the root of the weakness in the franchise in the late 80's.
    unitedkingdom.png
    edited October 2006
    Oh, then I must have taken this rather strong statement out of context then, and the posters that followed must have too.
    Dan Same wrote:
    I do believe that Dalton ruined Bond and that he was the root of the weakness in the franchise in the late 80's.
    That was a response to a statement that Klaus made. I was speaking about the quality of the films. The start of my post was was It depends in what you define by 'ruin' or 'weakness.' If you mean that LTK's relative a lack of success (perhaps only in the US) wasn't due to Dalton, then fine, but if you're talking about quality, then I disagree. Perhaps I misunderstood Klaus and he was speaking purely about the box office, but it seemed to me that he was also speaking about the quality issue, and so I made sure to specify that I was speaking of the quality issue in my response. I even admitted in my response that Dalton was probably not responsible for LTK's low US box office takings. :D

(Also it seems to me that LR got my meaning exactly. ;))
    edited October 2006
    Sorry, I accidentally posted. ;% I think there's something wrong with my computer as it's the second time it has happened. :D