Sci-FI

It appears as though a number of you guys are sci-fi fans. I most certainly am one.

I would say that my favorite Sci-Fi franchise is Star Trek. I grew up watching The Next Generation tv show. I really identified with that series and cast, although Dr. McCoy is perhaps my favorite of all of the Star Trek characters. I never really could get into the TOS show, although I do enjoy the movies. My favorite of the Star Trek movies is First Contact, which I find to have a terrific plot with a great deal of intellectualism, great performances, and a good deal of suspense and fun. I also greatly enjoy The Wrath of Kahn, The Voyage Home, and The Undiscovered Country (which I find to be the best of the TOS movies).

A few other Sci-Fi films I really enjoy are The Matrix (the first one being among my favorite films of all time), Blade Runner, 2001: A Space Oddessy, Back to the Future, Planet of the Apes (the original), 12 Monkeys, Terminator (Terminator 2 being my favorite), and War of the Worlds (the original; the Spielberg remake is, IMO, awful, with Tom Cruise horribly miscast).

Comments

• NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    The only Star Trek I like is TOS. Kirk is 007 in space, to me. I mean there are obviously huge differences between them, but the similarities speak for themselves.
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    I am a big science fiction fan.

When it comes to Star Trek, the original TV series stands head and shoulders above all the spin-offs. The stories, the elements, and especially the chemistry between the lead actors makes for unforgettable viewing.

When it comes to films, I am a big fan of the 1950's classics The Day The Earth Stood Still, Them!, Forbidden Planet, War Of The Worlds, The Invasion Of The Body Snatchers.

Other favourite's from film and TV include: The Day The Earth Caught Fire, The Day Of The Triffids, Planet Of The Apes, Star Wars Episodes IV & V, Close Encounters Of The Third Kind, Alien, The Terminator, The Matrix, Doctor Who, UFO.
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,280MI6 Agent
    I'm a major sci-fi fan as well. When I first came to America (at the age of 5) I quickly latched on to the genre and it has been a major part of my life ever since. I studied computer science and was a databse administrator for 15 years in large part because of science fiction in general and Star Trek & 2001: A Space Odyssey in particular.

The original Star Trek had a profound impact on me; I literally learned to speak English watching that show as it was one of the very first things I saw when my family moved to America. Other shows I loved over the years include Space: 1999, UFO, The Outer Limits, Twilight Zone.

As for movies, 2001: A Space Odyssey is all time tops on my list. Forbidden Planet ranks a very close second. There are tons more of course, some famous and many more obscure: Alien, Bladerunner, Demon Planet, The Illustrated Man, Logan's Run, Soylent Green, Planet of the Apes, The Omega Man, First Men In The Moon, etc., etc. etc.

I've also read a ton of sci-fi books. I've worked thru many of the classic authors like Wells and Verne, to contemporary authors like Herbert, Bova, Bradbury, Ellison and Asimov. My favorite author by far however is Sir Arthur C. Clarke. I've read just about all his books and short stories multiple times and even corresponded with him for a while when I was in college.

It's great to know that so many of my pals on AJB dig science fiction as well.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters
    edited December 2006
    2001: A Space Odyssey is my favourite film of all time, regardless of genre B-)

I love Star Trek---particularly TOS and the Next Generation (which I actually feel is just as good, if not better than, Kirk and Co. The only ST I didn't particularly care for was DS9---I actually liked "Enterprise."

My brother has gotten to be pretty good friends with Ethan Phillips, who played Neelix on ST: Voyager, and got the first two seasons of that show on DVD (autographed) from him when they wrapped a play they did together at the David Geffen Theatre...

I enjoyed all of the ST movies, to one degree or another, with Wrath of Khan, Voyage Home, Undiscovered Country and First Contact being my preferences...

As a kid, I was entranced by everything Irwin Allen did for TV: Lost in Space, Land of the Giants, Time Tunnel, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea---all camp now, but when I was 7 to 10 years old, they rocked my world...

Love Star Wars, as well, and probably enjoyed Episodes 1 thru 3 more than most fans :o I, too, enjoyed Chuck Heston every time he ventured into Sci-Fi: Original Planet of the Apes, Omega Man, Soylent Green...liked Silent Running, The Terminator(s), Forbidden Planet, Day the Earth Stood Still...ad infinitum...
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Klaus HergescheimerKlaus Hergescheimer Posts: 332MI6 Agent
    TonyDP wrote:
    I'm a major sci-fi fan as well. When I first came to America (at the age of 5) I quickly latched on to the genre and it has been a major part of my life ever since. I studied computer science and was a databse administrator for 15 years in large part because of science fiction in general and Star Trek & 2001: A Space Odyssey in particular.

The original Star Trek had a profound impact on me; I literally learned to speak English watching that show as it was one of the very first things I saw when my family moved to America. Other shows I loved over the years include Space: 1999, UFO, The Outer Limits, Twilight Zone.

As for movies, 2001: A Space Odyssey is all time tops on my list. Forbidden Planet ranks a very close second. There are tons more of course, some famous and many more obscure: Alien, Bladerunner, Demon Planet, The Illustrated Man, Logan's Run, Soylent Green, Planet of the Apes, The Omega Man, First Men In The Moon, etc., etc. etc.

I've also read a ton of sci-fi books. I've worked thru many of the classic authors like Wells and Verne, to contemporary authors like Herbert, Bova, Bradbury, Ellison and Asimov. My favorite author by far however is Sir Arthur C. Clarke. I've read just about all his books and short stories multiple times and even corresponded with him for a while when I was in college.

It's great to know that so many of my pals on AJB dig science fiction as well.

Great call on Twilight Zone, Bradbury (I'm still pining for that Fahrenheit 451 film adaptation that's supposed to be happening sometime soon), and Clarke.

As for Star Wars, I think I just kind of outgrew it. I just don't enjoy it now as much as I used to. I will say that The Empire Strikes Back is one of my favorite movies of all time, and no matter how old I get, it will remain so. I also love A New Hope greatly, and I still somewhat enjoy Return of the Jedi when I watch it. I just never have gotten into the prequels, which I think was very miscast in the key role (Never bought Hayden as Anakin; they should have gone with someone older and started when Anakin was a teenager, like Luke). I also think they were very much miswritten and misdirected by Lucas. (There's a reason why The Empire Strikes Back is so good, and it has to do with both counts I just mentioned) Although, I will say that rarely has a part been as well cast as Ewan MacGregor was in the role of Obi-Wan Kenobi.
  • DEFIANT 74205DEFIANT 74205 Perth, AustraliaPosts: 1,881MI6 Agent
    I'm glad to see other Star Trek fans on this forum. However, I'm not really into TOS much, my favourite series is DS9 - mainly because it seems to the the darkest and grittiest of the series (especially episodes like "In The Pale Moonlight", my favourite Trek episode of all time, and "The Siege of AR-558"). As my user name suggests, my favourite starship is the U.S.S. Defiant NX-74205. "The Defiant is a warship. It was designed for one purpose only - to fight and defeat the Borg! ... She may have flaws, but she has TEETH!" My favourite character? Jadzia Dax ... She is HOT, and she had the best one-liners!

I've never really got into any other sci-fi franchises, but I do enjoy watching Star Wars and have been known to watch the occasional episode of Babylon 5, but beyond that, I don't watch much else.
    "Watch the birdie, you bastard!"
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    ST:TOS pretty much defined my youth as well. Patience rewarded on sunday afternoons. It's hard to describe the feeling I'd derive from Trek but it still is one of my favorite shows.

When I was in 6th and 7th grade living in Wichita Falls, Texas. Star Blazers was to me, the best thing in my life. Words cannot describe the happiness I felt watching "Our...Star Blazers. I think it was probably the wagon train in space element Roddenberry had so ably mined before which I found irresistable.
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    I love sci-fi as long as it's the original Star Trek series and Space:1999. B-)

Other than those I sort of nitpick what to watch...
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • MonkeyfoaheadMonkeyfoahead Posts: 5MI6 Agent
    I like all Sci-Fi. My favorite being however, Battlestar Galactica (hence the avatar). It blends popular Sci-Fi elements with drama, action and a strong plot to hold it all together.
    Can someone please tell me if Star Trek: Deep Space Nine is any good or not?

I want to check it out because there are some who say it's one of the best in the ST realm so to speak. I'm so bias to the original series though. :))

• LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters
    RogueAgent wrote:

I wasn't a big fan of DS9 myself, although it was hugely popular with many fans; as it took place at a sort of crossroads of the universe, it seemed to deal a lot with the politics of opposing factions---mainly the Bajorans and Cardassians...

I like my Trek to be about a ship going places (TOS, TNG, Voyager, Enterprise) instead of a space station just sitting there---just my own preference. I'm sure there are tons of DS9 fans out there...still, someday, when I've got the time and $$$, I'll probably own it anyway ;%
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    edited January 2007
    RogueAgent wrote:

I want to check it out because there are some who say it's one of the best in the ST realm so to speak. I'm so bias to the original series though. :))

It's certainly a little different from the other
    Trek outings. It takes a few seasons before the show seems to come into it's own, but once your involved the series is very enjoyable.

The one thing I will give DS9 credit for is that by the end of the series, there's a real respect for the characters, and you can tell that each had grown and changed to some degree over the course of the series. In TNG, and Voyager, the characters are basically the same by the time the series came to an end.
    edited January 2007
    RogueAgent wrote:

Never cared much for DS9 myself; I found the characters to be a bit too self-righteous and sanctimonious for my tastes, especially those Bajorans and Maquis.

I also lost track of the number of times certain characters like Dukat changed alliances or how certain characters were realized. Worf was a prime example: in Next Generation we have this whole story arc about how he discovers his long lost brother and then loses and regains his family honor. As soon as he shows up on DS9, they rehash that whole angle, including the interactions with his brother Kurn again. First he's on good terms with his brother, then he has his brother's mind wiped when they lose their honor and his brother wants to commit ritual suicide, and then they never even so much as mention Kurn again when Worf gets his honor back. Lots of characters went thru that kind of back and forth and it really got tiring and hard to follow for me after a while.

The final couple of seasons were pretty entertaining, the FX were always great and there are some standout episodes here and there (Trials and Tribbleations is probably my favorite as it ties into the original series in a pretty clever way), but overall it wasn't that much fun for me.

Just my two cents.

BTW Loeffs, as an Irwin Allen fan, it may interest you to know that a bunch of Lost In Space DVD's are on sale at Amazon. Season 2-Volume 1, Season 2-Volume 2, Season 3-Volume 1 and Season 3-Volume 2 are all marked down to $19.99 each. My bro and I ordered a few. More bills to pay. Oh the pain. The pain. ;)
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,929MI6 Agent
    edited January 2007
    I sort of forgot about Captain Kirk Star Trek in the 90s when Picard Star Trek was on
    the production values and storytelling was just so different the original version seemed unrelated except as a conceptual source
    and I really liked Picard and Troi and Data and that "Earl Grey hot" a lot
    that damned Holodeck I quickly got to despise but it was cool when the Moriarty program hijacked the ship
    and I liked all the ecological and multicultural morality tales, heavyhanded and deadly earnest though most of them were
    I particularly liked Picards managerial style and often when in difficult social situations figured my way through by asking "what would JeanLuc Picard do?"
    after seven seasons of revisiting the same increasingly familiar overlapping cultures Deep Space 9 was a logical necesitty, though everyone except me resented the abandonment of the essential roadtrip concept

in recent years Ive watched the whole Captain Kirk version on DVD and have concluded it was in fact much better
    the stories were more creative, the interplay between the 3 main characters was classic, and its more impressive how they achieve so much with such simple special effects
    plus theres all the primary colorschemes and hot alien babes in miniskirts
    best episode ever is the one with Joan Collins, thats just an elegantly structured and poignant tale

as a film genre I prefer the early 70s dystopic films
    Planet of the Apes, Logans Run, THX1138, Soylent Green, Zardoz (with hairychested Sean Connery content)
    I guess Im a bit of a sceptic about humanitys future and this era of film captures the way I see it going as opposed to the world without money and war as foreseen by Rodenberry

one classic I recently discovered: Disneys version of 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea
    made in the early 1950s with James Mason, Peter Lorre, and a scenestealing Kirk Douglas, this was the Star Wars of its day
    a vastscaled bigbudget scifi spectacular, made at a time when scifi films were lobudget and disreputable
    that Nautilus is sort of like the Enterpise too if you think about it

theres only a couple of scifi authors I like, Jules Verne and HG Wells of course
    the others I like just happen to express their philosophy through science fictional conventions:
    J G Ballard, I like his Conradian vision of how shallow our civilization is
    stories like Concrete Island and HighRise are pretty accurate depictions of how I see humanity
    Philip K Dick is my personal favourite
    Ive read dozens of his books, though I dont recommend reading too many consecutively
    I now know in the nottoo distant future theyll be sending us all to live in a desolate martian colony and deluding us into enjoying it with Can-D and Perky Pat, thanks to Mr Dick
    and another I recently discovered is Stanislaw Lem
    his book Solaris is a magnificent, tragic satire of humanitys ultimate inability to communicate
    edited January 2007
    Caractacus Potts, as a fellow skeptic on humanity, I'd strongly recommend a little anthology of short stories by Arthur C. Clarke called The Nine Billion Names of God. Its a collection of his favorite short fiction and includes some real gems and a few very interesting (and surprising) "end of the world" stories. One of the stories, The Sentinel, served as the basis for Clarke and Kubrick's story for 2001: A Space Odyssey.
    Thanks for the info, guys. I called myself trying to branch my Trek meter out a bit and DS9 was the first thing out of many fans mouths... ;)

I just don't know...

Guess I'll look at Kirk vs. Finnegan tonight. ;%

Does anyone here think that Capt. Pike may have made a better captain than Kirk?

Jeffrey Hunter looks to have had leading man aptitude.

RogueAgent wrote:
    Does anyone here think that Capt. Pike may have made a better captain than Kirk?

Interesting question you pose there. I like the Chris Pike character and often wonder what might have been. I think Hunter would have made a very good leading man, but I have a feeling he would not have developed the rapport with Nimoy that Shatner was able to. It would probably have been a very different relationship.

I also think Shatner was a more versatile actor in those days and could deftly go from drama (City on the Edge of Forever, Balance of Terror) to comedy (A Piece of the Action, Trouble With Tribbles). Maybe its the mental image I have from The Cage, but I don't see Hunter as being able to pull that off.
    edited January 2007
    TonyDP wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

Interesting question you pose there. I like the Chris Pike character and often wonder what might have been. I think Hunter would have made a very good leading man, but I have a feeling he would not have developed the rapport with Nimoy that Shatner was able to. It would probably have been a very different relationship.

I also think Shatner was a more versatile actor in those days and could deftly go from drama (City on the Edge of Forever, Balance of Terror) to comedy (A Piece of the Action, Trouble With Tribbles). Maybe its the mental image I have from The Cage, but I don't see Hunter as being able to pull that off.

That's a good way to look at it, Tony. I do believe that a relationship between Pike/Spock would be a bit more "clinical" for lack of a better word. Shatner is just more animated when it comes to ST...REMEMBER WHEN HE SPLIT PERSONALITIES? Bad Kirk was classic Shatner... :))
    "I wanna live!...I wanna live!!!!!" Worth an Emmy alone. :))
    I'll admit that I love the ST shirts from the Pike era more with that ribbed like collar, thicker material and not as tight. ;)

RogueAgent wrote:
    Bad Kirk was classic Shatner... :))
    "I wanna live!...I wanna live!!!!!" Worth an Emmy alone. :))

I'm Captain Kiiiiirk!!!! :))

William Shatner used to be called the male Fay Wray because of his talent for screaming.

I always thought the young, hungry Shat-man from the 60's was a very good actor (as long as the director kept him in control). He was brilliant as the terrified airplane passenger in Twilight Zone's Horror at 20,000 Feet. And he really got to flex his acting muscles in a lot of those old Trek shows. These days he's almost become a caricature of his former self, although I still think he rules.

For my money though, his tour-de-force performance on Saturday Night Live when he freaks out at a Star Trek convention is a high water mark: Get a life will you people? For crying out loud, it's just a TV show. :)) I should make that my signature.
    I remember that! :))

Even when the man played T.J. Hooker I was seeing Kirk. :))

• Pierce_BrosnanPierce_Brosnan Posts: 329MI6 Agent
    edited January 2007
    I also love Science fiction. My one of my all time favorite tv shows was the original Twilight Zone (Yes, I have seen every episode at least 3-5 times. The Outer Limits was great. I love Bradbury (one of my all time favorite writers). I enjoyed The matrix (1 one was the best 2 was good 3 was crap). I loved bladerunner. The original War of the Worlds was great (book and movie).
    Back to the future was a great series.
    Last, but certainly not least, 2001: Space Oddessy has to be one of my top 5 favorite movies of all time (up there with From Russia With Love and Godfather and Godfather 2)

I have seen many, many, sci-fi movies.
    Generally, people either love or hate Deep Space Nine. I'm one of those that love it. It is indeed very different from any other Trek series, and its contrast with The Next Generation couldn't be more marked. Deep Space Nine deals more with conflict than any other series, where other series tend to focus on the utopian universe. I'm not just talking about combat here, I'm also talking about conflict between the characters and within the characters - the Odo-Quark bouts, Sisko and Kira (mostly at the beginning but also throughout the series), Kira and Winn, Sisko and Dukat ... I could go on and on.

One of my favourite episodes of Star Trek ever is "In The Pale Moonlight". In past episodes of Trek, right and wrong has mostly been black and white - "The Prime Directive" stands, and it decides what is right and what is wrong. This episode has painted right and wrong in a shade of grey. To quote Sisko in that episode - "People are dying out there, everyday, and here I am, worrying about the finer points of morality!"

Like any other series it has its weaker moments. There are times (especially in the first two seasons) when I fell asleep watching an episode of DS9. But with the introduction of the Dominion towards the end of Season 2, the series started to get better and better. While I thought that DS9 spawned the best Trek episode ever, I also think that it had the worst: "Move Along Home" was extremely painful to watch.
  • Klaus HergescheimerKlaus Hergescheimer Posts: 332MI6 Agent
    As far as DS9 is concerned...

I like Dax. ;)
    Are there any sci-fi books out there that would pique the interest of an old horror fan like myself? Something right on the edge...

As a kid, I remember reading every Star Trek or Space:1999 novel that came out and I'm looking to get back into the habit of it. Man, I miss those days...

Any info would be greatly appreciated. :)

edited January 2007
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Are there any sci-fi books out there that would pique the interest of an old horror fan like myself? Something right on the edge...

As a kid, I remember reading every Star Trek or Space:1999 novel that came out and I'm looking to get back into the habit of it. Man, I miss those days...

Any info would be greatly appreciated. :)

Some of H.P. Lovecraft's stuff blends horror and sci-fi. "Herbert West: Reanimator" and "From Beyond" are two novellas that quickly come to mind; he also wrote a lot of short stories that mixed the genres like Cool Air and The Music of Eric Zann. I'll peruse some of my books tonight to see if I can come up with anything else.
    I remember those films from the 80s. I remember the last time I saw Re-Animator was about 4 years ago on IFC. I love that film! Sick but great. {[]

Excuse the topic revival, but since there are a few Trek fans here, has anyone seen the DS9 episode "Our Man Bashir"?

"The name's Bashir. Julian Bashir." :)

What does everyone think of Star Trek's homage to the 60s spy genre?
    _006_ wrote:
    Excuse the topic revival, but since there are a few Trek fans here, has anyone seen the DS9 episode "Our Man Bashir"?

"The name's Bashir. Julian Bashir." :)

What does everyone think of Star Trek's homage to the 60s spy genre?

Saw it and loved it :D I am a fan of all kinds of Sci-fi, and my earliest memory is actually watching The Doomsday Machine. DS-9 was my favorite of the ST series, although some of my favorite characters, were actually in the TNG and Voyager (Such as Riker, Geordi and Tuvok) but Sisko is firmly my favorite captain. Doctor Bashir used to irritate me as a character, but, once it was discovered that he had been genetically enhanced as a child (even though it was a retcon) it totally explained all the idiosynchratic behaviour I had previously found irritating.

Personally, I was never able to warm up to the characters on DS9 (well, except Terri Farrell) so I didn't really enjoy their attempts at "theme" shows all that much. The one exception was Trials and Tribbleations which I thought was a very clever revisiting of The Trouble With Tribbles from TOS.
    I must admit, that my Star Wars preference is for the Prequel Trilogy, and I would actually say Hayden Christensen was an excellent choice for the part of Anakin, the problem with the movies, is that Lucas is a bad writer and a worse director.

I'm glad to see that there's someone else who enjoyed the prequels. I thought they were all highly enjoyable and even if some of the acting was wooden and the writing derivative, there was just so much to see and so many cool characters and moments.
    I also like the classics of sci-fi like Land of the Giants, Planet of the Apes and Space:1999. I'm a big fan of Gerry Anderson's work, and I actually really liked Space Precinct, as that dealt with some pretty dark issues, and of course, Simone Bendix made it all the more watchable ;)
    My personal 'wish list' of Sci-fi is that they cast Christian Bale in the title role of The Prisoner, and that 'they' decide to make an 18 Cert Live Action movie of Captain Scarlet ;)

I think Christian Bale could easily capture that serious, sullen disposition that Patrick McGoohan always displayed; he'd definitely be a strong candidate for a remake. A live Captain Scarlet movie would be a lot of fun too, as long as they don't go the kiddy route like they did with that live Thunderbirds movie from a couple of years ago.
    I stumbled upon this today, guys. Thought it might be of concern to some of you. If it's already posted somewhere, please excuse me:

From IMDB.com

Cast Set for Next 'Star Trek' Movie?

On the heels of Paramount's confirmation that J.J. Abrams (Mission: Impossible III, Lost) had been selected to direct the next Star Trek feature, reports began circulating on several movie and sci-fi websites Monday that the studio was in talks with Matt Damon, Adrien Brody, and Gary Sinise to play the roles of Capt. Kirk, Dr. Spock and Dr. McCoy respectively. First reported by IGN Movies, a unit of Fox Interactive, and attributed to unnamed studio sources, the stories also indicated that James McAvoy, who costarred in The Last King of Scotland, was "in the mix" to play the role of Enterprise engineer Scotty.

edited February 2007
    There was also an official press release from Paramount about the next Trek movie; Abrams will definitely be directing and it is scheduled to premiere on Christmas Day, 2008. Here's a couple of links to sites with more info on the press release.

http://trekmovie.com/2007/02/27/it-official-star-trek-is-back-122508-film-to-embrace-canon/#more-537

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/news/article/45415.html

As for the proposed cast, the thing I find interesting is their age. According to IMDB Damon is 37, Brody is 34 and Sinise is 52. That would pretty well throw out the rumored Starfleet Academy storyline. Something tells me this is going to be a quasi-reboot about Captain Kirk's first days in command of the Enterprise, possibly bookended by cameo appearances by Shatner and Nimoy. But that's all just speculation on my part.