OHMSS Question

When Blofeld busts Bond on OHMSS, he says that the archives are not in Augsburg but in the St. Anna Kirsch, Sir Hillary Bray would've known.

So, does this mean that Bond was set up, or did the College of Arms really make a bad blunder in the information they gave him? Because the real Sir Hillary did tell Bond that they're in Augsburg, right?

Thanks

Comments

• LazenbyLazenby The upper reaches of the AmazoPosts: 606MI6 Agent
    I always assumed that (the real) Sir Hillary simply made an error.
  • James F EJames F E Posts: 140MI6 Agent
    I think Sir Hillary just screwed up. But I think it's a cheap plot flaw.

Fiona Volpe: Some men just don't like to be taken for a ride.

Bond: No, some men don't like to be taken for a ride.
  • Mr St John SmytheMr St John Smythe Posts: 60MI6 Agent
    Yeah I guess it was just a mistake on Sir Hillary's part, especially since nothing is ever made of a possible set up. That's just something I was thinking about the other morning at 2 AM when I didn't have anything better to do, ha ha!
    Yeah I guess it was just a mistake on Sir Hillary's part, especially since nothing is ever made of a possible set up. That's just something I was thinking about the other morning at 2 AM when I didn't have anything better to do, ha ha!

It's actually something some people criticize as a plot hole or an oversight or something-- when really, Bray's only human and there's no need to suppose that he's immune from making mistakes. It just adds to the level of "realism" in the film, in my opinion.
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Yep, it was my mess up. I was so flummoxed by Bond's spot-on impersonation of my voice that I lost my bearings. Hope I didn't imperil the poor chap by giving him bad info. :D
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007
    Yep, it was my mess up. I was so flummoxed by Bond's spot-on impersonation of my voice that I lost my bearings. Hope I didn't imperil the poor chap by giving him bad info. :D
    Damn you. X-( Bond was almost killed because of you. X-( But then again, he was saved by Tracey and ended up proposing to her, so I guess some good did come out of your mistake after all. :D
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    Damn you. X-( Bond was almost killed because of you. X-( But then again, he was saved by Tracey and ended up proposing to her, so I guess some good did comeout of your mistake after all. :D

Apart from Tracy being murdered on the wedding day, of course...
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    Damn you. X-( Bond was almost killed because of you. X-( But then again, he was saved by Tracey and ended up proposing to her, so I guess some good did comeout of your mistake after all. :D

Apart from Tracy being murdered on the wedding day, of course...

Oh dear. That explains why I never heard back from the fellow after his adventure in Switzerland. Shame, I wanted to show him my brass rubbings... :#
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • SolarisSolaris Blackpool, UKPosts: 308MI6 Agent
    I don't see it as a Blunder.

Firstly The real Sir Hillary says to Bond to try and get Blofeld to go with him to Augsberg, beacuse "the De Blauchamps have been coming from there for years" he never says they were buried there, just that they were born there.

I think it was more Bond's fault, after hearing about the De Blauchamps coming from Augsberg he assumed they were buried there also.

it could have been a blunder, but I think Sir Hillary just forgot to tell him that the De Blauchamps were not buried in the same place as they were born in.
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    Solaris wrote:
    Firstly The real Sir Hillary says to Bond to try and get Blofeld to go with him to Augsberg, beacuse "the De Blauchamps have been coming from there for years" he never says they were buried there, just that they were born there.

Actually, I never realised that - but I think you may be right. I always saw it as a plot hole
    I watched OHMSS yesterday and Solaris is exactly right. I was also remembered exactly why I feel this is the best Bond film ever made. :007)
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    Just another example of why OHMSS annoys the ****** out of me.

"No no no, Mr. Bond. Respectable baronets from the College of Heralds do "not" seduce female patients in clinics. On the other hand, they do get their professional details... "right". The De Bleauchamps tombs are "not" in the Augsburg Cathedral as you said, but in the Ste. Anna Kirch. Sir Hillary Bray would have known! "

Throw me a frickin bone here. Thanks for nothing Sir Hillary. X-(

At least for the benefit of the film, they could have let Bond stumble on some facts and expose himself as a fraud.

I don't recall if the Augsburg bit was in the novel. Anyone?
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    It's been a good few Months since I last read the Novel, but I think it is.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • JayCobb1045JayCobb1045 Posts: 79MI6 Agent
    James F E wrote:

I'm a little confused - are you citing this as a script flaw? Cause that's not how the dialogue goes - I only know this because I always enjoyed that line! Not trying to nitpick, just trying to understand :s
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Yep!, isn't it some men don't like to be driven!
    Bond responding " No, some men just don't like to be taken for a ride !" :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    That post was from seven and a half years ago, but what the heck! :)) The actual lines are:

Fiona: "Some men don't like to be driven"
    Bond: "No, some men just don't like to be taken for a ride".

A much funnier double-entendre! -{
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Snap! TP how come you always beat me to it! :))
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    James F E wrote:

I'm a little confused - are you citing this as a script flaw? Cause that's not how the dialogue goes - I only know this because I always enjoyed that line! Not trying to nitpick, just trying to understand :s

Don't think you will get a Reply from that certain Member :))
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,305Chief of Staff
    Firemass wrote:
    I don't recall if the Augsburg bit was in the novel. Anyone?

Not in that context. Augsburg is mentioned briefly when Bond meets Sir Hilary then again in dialogue between Bond and Blofeld, but the context is not.the same.
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    The movie also makes it apparent that Bond is distracted. We know he is studying things, for instance, but can't get his mind off of the women. So I always took the error to genuinely be Bond's and not Hillary Bray's.

It's been a long time since I read the novel proper (though I referenced a part of it in a creative writing course I'm teaching), but if memory serves, the novel suggests they're pretty much on to Bond from the start. They're just waiting for him to slip up to confirm it.