OP or AVTAK?

AVTAK is often called a remake of GF.

However, in many ways I think the Bond film it resembles most is its immediate predecessor OP.

Just curious, which one of Roger Moore's last 2 Bond films do you prefer and why?

Comments

• DAWUSSDAWUSS My homepagePosts: 517MI6 Agent
    I guess I'll join the minority and say AVTAK
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent

However, in many ways I think the Bond film it resembles most is its immediate predecessor OP.

Just curious, which one of Roger Moore's last 2 Bond films do you prefer and why?
    Octopussy by a mile. I love the pace. It's not random action sequences strung together with little or no cohesive flow, the story builds speed wonderfully, culminating in an absolutely terrific airborne stunt scene.

Acceleration is the greatest strength of the Moore era, imo. Although this was the last one to effectively convey it.
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    AVTAK all the way. (Who didn't see that coming?) But something you all didn't see coming, I won't elaborate as to why I love this magnificent movie. :D

Not to say that OP isn't good because it is!
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    I'll say OP too. I always felt that the pace was spot on for this movie, and it had the right number of action sequences at the right time. While I will say that Roger Moore was porbably too old for both of them, I think OP has older villians and leading ladies (Maud Addams to Tanya Roberts) - which doesnt make Moore look so old after all.

I also think that the location work is more impressive, but it may just be because downtown San Fransisco looks like every other major western city, whereas India is unique.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,220Chief of Staff
    Definitely OP; Alex puts the reasons for this very well above.
  • Agent SidewinderAgent Sidewinder Posts: 223MI6 Agent
    OP by a mile.
  • Krassno GranitskiKrassno Granitski USAPosts: 896MI6 Agent
    Neither of them are that good, but I prefer AVTAK.
  • Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    I hope Loeffs overlooks this thread... :p

Anyway, perhaps my post in the "Best Bond Film Ever!" thread will answer your question:
    Tee Hee wrote:
    Octopussy:

Great chemistry with Maud Adams,

A host of great villains, including Louis Jordan, Kabir Bedi, and Stephen Berkoff,

A great Cold War plot,

A beautiful Indian location,

A great John Barry score,

Breathtaking action and stunts, such as the acrostar jet, the Tuk Tuk chase, the Bond hunt, the circus bomb defusal, and the attack on the Monsoon Palace,

Great gadgets, such as the alligator submarine and the liquid crystal TV (Perfect image :p ),

Lots of laughs, such as Bond sliding down the stair rail,

Kristina Wayborn, 'nuff said.

All the Bond elements are here in spades. Thoroughly entertaining throughout!

Moore at his best! :007)

:D
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
  • Prince Kamal KhanPrince Kamal Khan Posts: 277MI6 Agent
    Neither of them are that good, but I prefer AVTAK.

For those of you who do prefer AVTAK to OP, would you mind elaborating what you prefer about it? To me, OP beats it in just about every category with the possible exception of its music and I'd be curious to read what you all prefer about AVTAK to OP and why?

Thanks,

PKK
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    And lets be fair, its not like the the OP score sucks or anything
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,270MI6 Agent
    To elaborate so JFF doesn't have to, AVTAK is slicker, cooler, fresher. OP is lush and opulent, true. But it is weighted down by the kind of pretention that dogged FYEO and TLD a tad. Some of it is slow moving (in India) and Maud Adams is a bit of a dead duck leading lady. She's not quite enough to carry the film. The song is a bit heavy, a lush ballad that is a bit of a snore, and sung off key at times.

Moore seems younger to me in AVTAK, less overheated and liver spotted than in OP (in fact he even looked that way in FYEO). I prefer Patrick Macnee to Vijay as a doomed sidekick, prefer Grace Jones to the turbaned henchman in OP, prefer Walken to Jordan. The score is more pumping and dynamic, and Duran Duran is, in retrospect, the last great Bond song.

Beach Boys aside, there's less goonish humour eg "hiss off!", the tarzan yell, the inserted bed on nails/fire-eater sequence, Bond pretending to be a corpse coming to life, Bond pretending to be crippled at the end so he can suprise Octopussy... less crude innuendo. AVTAK is less derivative, OP seemed to borrow from the Raiders series too much for my liking.

However, I do like OP and if you like your Bond Cold War and gritty, there are a couple of things in there along those lines.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Lazenby880Lazenby880 LondonPosts: 525MI6 Agent
    edited May 2007
    If I can put it like this: Octopussy has less wrong with it than A View To A Kill. I enjoy the exoticism of Octopussy, as well as several of the supporting performances. Moore, for me, is better in the 1983 picture than the 1985 one.

There is something endearing about a couple of geriatrics sleuthing around the chateau in A View To A Kill. Nevertheless, the whole enterprise is pretty tired and, devastatingly for a Bond picture, lacking in danger. There are enjoyable aspects to it, such as Grace Jones and some of the lighter moments are actually quite well effected. I have also come to enjoy Walken as Zorin's distant psycho. Overall, however, it is weighed down and exhausted with little to recommend it. By the time Bond bakes a quiche all is truly lost.

That is not to say that A View To A Kill is not amusing. In my opinion, though, it is not a well-executed film.
  • baccaretbaccaret Posts: 61MI6 Agent
    are you kidding ? octopussy is far superior to avtak. The action the girls every thing but the villan. I do like Zorin...:))
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited May 2007

Why do you think that?
    I much prefer OP. I think it is actually a pretty good Bond film, unlike AVTAK which I can't stand. The reasons I prefer OP are numerous; I think it has a better (and more original) plot, I think the action scenes and stunts are better, I think that the Bond girls are superior, I prefer the jokes in OP to AVTAK (not including the Tarzan yell), I consider Moore's performance in OP to have been his last great performance, I consider the locations to be better in OP than those in AVTAK, I think that OP has better gadgets and I consider 'All Time High' to be the last great Bond theme song. (I can not, for the life of me, understand why people prefer AVTAK's theme song to OP's theme song. ?:)) The one thing that AVTAK has over OP is the main villain, however we are talking about Christopher Walken, so that's not particularly surprising. :D
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Krassno GranitskiKrassno Granitski USAPosts: 896MI6 Agent
    For those of you who do prefer AVTAK to OP, would you mind elaborating what you prefer about it? To me, OP beats it in just about every category with the possible exception of its music and I'd be curious to read what you all prefer about AVTAK to OP and why?
    Thanks,
    PKK
    The film is really uneven. Throw everything against the wall and see what sticks including the kitchen sink, some of it works, most of it doesn't to me anyway, it has no identity is it like MR or FYEO it can't seem to make up it's mind. I prefer Roger's performance in AVTAK more as well, boy is he ****ed at Zorin and it shows, Moore's best acting in the series, which I believe has to do with his age and the fact that he has to hold his own against the great Christopher Walken. AVTAK title track is not so bad either.
  • SteedSteed Posts: 134MI6 Agent
    Octopussy is excellent, imho- one of my fave Roger Moore Bonds. There are some spectacular action scenes, one of the most sophisticated villains of the series, some fun comedy but crucially some real tension as well- the last hour is amongst the most blisteringly paced of any Bond film with one of Roger's best performances. Yeah, I love Octopussy and it's one of the most watched Bond films I have.

AVTAK isn't as good by any means, but I find it watchable and certainly not as bad as some. I have a curious affection for it even though it's nowhere near my favourite.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters
    Tee Hee wrote:
    I hope Loeffs overlooks this thread... :p

Well...so much for that :v

Suffice it to say that these are my least favourite Bond films ever---no contest; not even close---but cheers to all who enjoy them! {[]
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    I always appreciate you throwing in your two cents Loeffs. :v

However, I have concluded that you wouldn't know a good film if one struck you in the head. :p

Ah well, at least you rank OP above AVTAK. I'll give you that. :D
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
    Tee Hee wrote:
    ...I have concluded that you wouldn't know a good film if one struck you in the head. :p

Aptly stated, as both of these films left me feeling exactly as if I'd been struck in the head! :(|)
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    That's because they knew you wouldn't like them, so Tee Hee cursed OP to hurt you, and I cursed AVTAK to hurt you. See, it was all part of our elaborate plans. :D ;)
  • Harry PalmerHarry Palmer Somewhere in the past ...Posts: 325MI6 Agent
    It's a tough choice. Both films feature in the bottom half of my favourites-list... but for very different reasons.

On the whole OP contains more unforgivable moments of silliness (Bond as a clown being one of them) and let's not even mention the Tarzan yawp. But the plot is better paced and I like the Cold-War setting. More international intrigue and more "Property of a Lady" material would have been better.

AVTAK in Paris is enjoyable enough, but the San Francisco fire-truck chase is just too long and too silly. I actually thought Roger looked more convinced (and convincing) as Bond in AVTAK than in OP (I can forgive him his overweight waistline, and the obvious fitness issues up the Eiffel Tower).
    1. Cr, 2. Ltk, 3. Tld, 4. Qs, 5. Ohmss, 6. Twine, 7. Tnd, 8. Tswlm, 9. Frwl, 10. Tb, 11. Ge, 12. Gf, 13. Dn, 14. Mr, 15. Op, 16. Yolt, 17. Sf, 18. Daf, 19. Avtak, 20. Sp, 21. Fyeo, 22. Dad, 23. Lald, 24. Tmwtgg
    That's because they knew you wouldn't like them, so Tee Hee cursed OP to hurt you, and I cursed AVTAK to hurt you. See, it was all part of our elaborate plans. :D ;)

I might've known... X-( :v :p
  • LazenbyLazenby The upper reaches of the AmazoPosts: 606MI6 Agent
    unforgivable moments of silliness (Bond as a clown being one of them)

I don't agree that Bond in the clown suit constitutes a moment of silliness, let alone an unforgivable one. I mean, it certainly wasn't slapstick-- they didn't try and milk any unnecessary humor out of it-- and it made perfect sense in the context of what was happening (ie., Bond undercover at a circus). Beyond that, the scene, as he is racing to defuse the bomb, is terrifically tense, clown suit and all. As an aside, I've always found it symbolically apt considering that Moore was the "entertaining" Bond.

RE the whole OP vs. AVTAK debate, as it stands OP is far and away my favorite, however I really need to view both films again before making a solid decision.
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    Octopussy.Better story,better villains,better locales,better women,better action, and a better score.Features Sir Roger's last great performance as 007.

By contrast,A View to a Kill looks like a bad imitation of a James Bond film.
  • SteedSteed Posts: 134MI6 Agent
    I've never really had a problem with Roger's performance in AVTAK (though he's obviously too old in it, imho) and I don't have that much I dislike about it, it just does have a certain by-the-numbers feel, I would certainly agree with that.

I also would never have called the scene in Octopussy where Roger dons the clown outfit as silly- imho, it's one of the edgiest and most tense scenes in the series, and one of Roger's best performances. The joke at the end involving the man in the cannon I find to be wonderful too, as it comes as a perfect antidote after a long and very tense sequence of setpieces. Honestly, I watch Octopussy sometimes wondering if I'll go off it and discover the flaws that some other fans find (there are a few, but certainly not as many as in some Bond films, imho), but I am thoroughly entertained by it everytime and it remains a favourite. :)
  • Brosnan_fanBrosnan_fan Sydney, AustraliaPosts: 521MI6 Agent
    OP, hands down.

Probably Moore's finest hour. -{
    "Well, he certainly left with his tails between his legs."
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,270MI6 Agent
    I see it's your fave film Brosnan fan! And prob very good as a double bill with TWINE too! {[]
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • OdowanOdowan Posts: 20MI6 Agent
    I don't particularly enjoy either one of them, but I have to give Octopussy the slight edge. There's just so much wrong with AVTAK. Octopussy at least had the benefit of a good villain, and a few good sequences. Walken gave an awful performance (which is amazing for Walken) and for most of AVTAK I was jsut annoyed.
  • ATPrescottATPrescott Posts: 39MI6 Agent
    OP is certainly the more solid package whereas AVTAK offers more individual highlights like the final fight at the Golden Gate and the Main Strike flooding, the pre-titles and Duran Duran, Pola Ivanova etc.
    Well, anyway, A View to A Kill is definitely my pick of the two. Though I have to admit I´haven´t watched either one for a little while now.
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    OCTOPUSSY is a kitsch-classic that moves like a runaway freight train.

Packed with over-the-tilt villains, innovative action spectacles, balls of stainless-steel-stuntwork, and Sir Roger Moore's irresistable persona. If that wasn't enough to entertain you, they also decided to add an island completely inhabited with rippling, big hair, spandex clad, black-widow beauties to boot.

Compared to that, A View To A Krapp is left desolate and alone in the dry dust of a streaking Acrostar.

I have certainly heard a lot of revisionist history, explaining in detail how the series had become obsolete by this point due to big budget blockbusters from major motion studios.

To that, I say, Hogwash.