Emilio Largo the best villain?

GeorgiboyGeorgiboy Posts: 632MI6 Agent
Does anybody else agree that Largo on Thunderball is the best villain of the whole series? He's evil, sinister, is number 2, has a pool of sharks, and he doesn't give his men orders then sit back and relax he goes with them and makes sure everything goes smoothly.

I didn't like how they portrayed him in NSNA, he was too smug and not very sinister.

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,332Chief of Staff
    edited July 2007
    Completely with you that the Largo in TB beats the one in NSNA, and he gains points for all of the reasons you mention and more besides (he not only loses his girl to 007 but gets to lose at cards as well, and some of their dialogue is among the best in the series). Much as I love TB and its antagonist, though, I don't think Largo's the best in the series:

Dr No is a great character, but his screen time is limited.

Rosa Klebb is certainly evil and sinister enough to be on a "Best Baddie" list.

Blofeld has never been portrayed 100% correctly.

Dr Kananga's very well done, although the death scene lets the character down.

Scaramanga is played by a great actor in the wrong movie. He's impressive but wasted.

Stromberg's a bore.

Drax is sleek and exudes evil; definitely on the list.

Kristatos is (in keeping with the FYEO tone) low key and undramatic.

Kamal Khan is one of the best, a memorable performance and character.

Zorin has the great advantage of being played by Christopher Walken, although the character is a shade underwritten.

Koskov is slimy but lacks stature (and I'm not referring to his height).

Sanchez is a rounded and well played baddie.

006 is underdeveloped and underwritten.

Carver is a walking cliche.

Elektra has the advantages of (relative) surprise, an emotional relationship with Bond and being played by a capable (and very attractive, not of course that that has anything to do with things :D) performer. Brosnan's best baddie.

Graves/Moon: Don't make me laugh.

Le Chiffre goes on the "Best" list too- again a more rounded character and a very believable one.

However... one figure rises above all. To give a few reasons:

(1) His character is built up superbly, foreshadowed by the unbeatable song describing him. We find out about him along with 007, our respect for him growing along with Bonds.

(2) Very little tinkering has been done with Fleming's conception.

(3) The casting (both actor and voice actor) couldn't have been better.

(4) The customary jousting over games, sometimes perfunctory in later films (eg OP), is here deliciously extended allowing the actors to have great fun while we absorb the clever little details.

(5) He gets to say perhaps the the best line (well, maybe "My names's Bond... James Bond" runs it close for that title) of the entire series; he's introduced well and dies even more memorably.

(6) He's the man, the man with the Midas Touch.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited July 2007
    I think that Largo is a great villain. Like most of the Connery era villains, I think he would be a worthy contender for the title of 'greatest villain.' However IMO the greatest single film villain was Goldfinger and the greatest multi-film villain was Blofeld. If I had to pick one, I would pick Goldfinger.
    Barbel wrote:
    Stromberg's a bore.
    You know, I honestly can't understand that. I have always considered Stromberg to be among the finest villains as IMO he was a brilliantly acted example of a big plan villain. Drax, whilst great, was IMO a replicate of Stromberg and so IMO if one likes Drax, then one should love Stromberg. ;) Or at least I do.
    Barbel wrote:
    006 is underdeveloped and underwritten.
    I'm not sure about Alec. I consider him to be one of the Brosnan era's two best villains (along with Electra) but I hate some of the dialoge he was forcd to say. :# In fact, if it weren't for the dialogue, I woiuld probably consider him to be the Best Bond villain since Sanchez.
    Barbel wrote:
    Le Chiffre goes on the "Best" list. too- again a more rounded character and a very believable one.
    I'm still divided about Le Chiffre. Om one hand I like him because he is truly menacing, and Mickelson acted quite well, but on the other hand, I found him to be too ordinary. I don't think he's one of the best villains of the series but he is a good villain.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Dan Same wrote:
    If I had to pick one, I would pick Goldfinger.

Er... that's what I did.
    Barbel wrote:
    Dan Same wrote:
    If I had to pick one, I would pick Goldfinger.
    Er... that's what I did.
    I know. Can't I pick the same villain as you? ;)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Of course you can! {[] It was the "however" that made it look as if you hadn't seen my point.

I do think that Curd Jurgens is a good actor, but he plays Stromberg in a lazy manner. And the whole "006 is 007's evil reflection" thing I didn't think came off as well as it could- eg, was his apparent death in the PTS pre-planned and he'd already set up his Janus identity? Had he therefore foreseen the fall of the USSR and was in cahoots with Ourumov? If not, how did things happen in the way they did? If so, why's he there killing men and blowing things up instead of just shooting Bond in the back once they've teamed up?
    Dan Same wrote:
    In fact, if it weren't for the dialogue, I woiuld probably consider him to be the Best Bond villain since Sanchez.

Well, he's definitely the best since he's the only one! :))
    Barbel wrote:
    Dan Same wrote:
    In fact, if it weren't for the dialogue, I woiuld probably consider him to be the Best Bond villain since Sanchez.
    Well, he's definitely the best since he's the only one! :))
    What I meant was, the best of all the villains since Sanchez, from GE to CR. ;) To be honest, I don't think there has been a truly great villain in quite a while. I loved Alec but I didn't like much of his dialogue; Carver was IMO completely unoriginal and extremely boring; Electra was terrific but was a little undeveloped (plus, why did she have to kidnap M? :s); Graves was quite possibly IMO the worst villain of all time, and Le Chiffre was very good but a little too ordinary IMO. I think that Alec was probably the best of these but I don't think he was as good as some of the Connery/Moore villains.
    Dan Same wrote:
    Electra was terrific but was a little undeveloped (plus, why did she have to kidnap M? :s);

"You advised my father not to pay the ransom... And I thought you were like family, M. You were more interested in catching your terrorist than freeing me... I was terribly upset when the money bomb didn't kill both of you." From the novelisation by Raymond Benson.

It's true that the TWINE script could have been a little clearer as to motivations. Many hands tinkered with it, credited and uncrdited, as is increasingly the case- and not only with Bond.
    Barbel wrote:
    Dan Same wrote:
    Electra was terrific but was a little undeveloped (plus, why did she have to kidnap M? :s);
    "You advised my father not to pay the ransom... And I thought you were like family, M. You were more interested in catching your terrorist than freeing me... I was terribly upset when the money bomb didn't kill both of you." From the novelisation by Raymond Benson.

It's true that the TWINE script could have been a little clearer as to motivations. Many hands tinkered with it, credited and uncrdited, as is increasingly the case- and not only with Bond.
    My problem isn't that it wasn't clear (the film made it perfectly clear itself) but that IMO it was completely unnecessary. It felt to me that it was done as Dench, fresh off an Oscar, wanted more screentime. It was clear that Electra had a grudge against M, for the reasons that you stated, but I just found it to be idiotic that M was kidnapped.
    edited July 2007
    Barbel wrote:
    Of course you can! {[] It was the "however" that made it look as if you hadn't seen my point.
    I did see your point, and I agreed with almost everything you said. {[] The thing that I agreed with most was your conclusion. :D I was simply saying that for me, Goldfinger and Blofeld are the two best villains (my favourite potrayal of Blofeld was in OHMSS, although like many people, I preferred his 'potrayal' in FRWL and TB), but if I had to pick one, it would be Goldfinger. Probably not surprising since I worship the god that is GF :D but, no, I wasn't dismissing your point. I was simply coming to the same conclusion in a different way.
    Barbel wrote:
    I do think that Curd Jurgens is a good actor, but he plays Stromberg in a lazy manner.
    I don't agree but fair enough. At least you love Auric Goldfinger. :D
    Barbel wrote:
    And the whole "006 is 007's evil reflection" thing I didn't think came off as well as it could- eg, was his apparent death in the PTS pre-planned and he'd already set up his Janus identity? Had he therefore foreseen the fall of the USSR and was in cahoots with Ourumov? If not, how did things happen in the way they did? If so, why's he there killing men and blowing things up instead of just shooting Bond in the back once they've teamed up?
    Oh, Barbel, do you have to read so much into it? :# All of your questions are valid, but if you ask too many questions, you can spoil alot of Bond films. :))
    Dan Same wrote:
    It felt to me that it was done as Dench, fresh off an Oscar, wanted more screentime.

Without a doubt, although it would be a reasonable decision for a film's producer to bump up the screentime for a name star who's just won an Oscar. (Hence Halle Berry's Jinx being prominent in the DAD posters, etc.)
    Dan Same wrote:
    Oh, Barbel, do you have to read so much into it? :# All of your questions are valid, but if you ask too many questions, you can spoil alot of Bond films. :))

I'm simply expanding on what I meant by undeveloped, citing some instances to back that up. And, yes, most if not all of the Bond plots fall apart if nitpicked too thoroughly. Even GF! :D
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    It felt to me that it was done as Dench, fresh off an Oscar, wanted more screentime. It was clear that Electra had a grudge against M, for the reasons that you stated, but I just found it to be idiotic that M was kidnapped.

I very much doubt that Dame Judi demanded more screentime; she has won every acting award there is, sometimes a dozen times over (it's also been reported that she is embarrassed by her Oscar, as she feels it was not an award worthy performance, but simply a favour for a friend). Far more likely is that the producers ramped up her part because they realised the cache of having a performer of her calibre on set. As for M being kidnapped being idiotic, well, have a word with Sir Kingsley Amis...

To return to the topic in hand, I think Largo was very good, but not in the first division of villainy. I think it's the eyepatch. It's easy to give a villain an eyepatch, or a limp, or a withered hand, and that marks him as a baddie; far better to have someone like Gert Frobe or Michel Lonsdale who could physically be your uncle but is just too... creepy. Adolfo Celi gave a fine performance, but he never quite trips over into SuperEvil for me; he's a cleansing sorbet before the main meal of Blofeld. Maximilian Largo on the other hand was genuinely insane; the "Then I cut your throat" moment is chilling, and there are a few little giggles and smirks that mark him out as a true psycho (it's interesting to note that Max Zorin, two years later, has similar traits). Klaus Maria Brandauer is one of the few things that NSNA got right, and it's a shame that he pretty much vanishes from the last twenty minutes of the film because of all that damned underwater photography. A man in a scuba suit could be anyone.
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
  • Kirk James KirkKirk James Kirk Posts: 190MI6 Agent
    I like Carver, a lot actually. He represents what the Brosnan era was lacking otherwise: grandiose villainy. Carver was the only villain in some time to have that 60's over-the-top feel about him.

I am befuddled by the seemingly unanimous love of Elektra King. She, like her movie, is boring and unintersting, in my opinion. I just don't get it.
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    Largo to me was a very good villian. He had the right amount of menance and I liked that he got involved with the plans.. One thing I disliked about Blofeld (YOLT) and Stromberg is that they were really hands off villians. If a villian is too hands off they lack some of the menance.

The problem I have with Largo is that because the scheme is SO big in Thunderball, he is given less screen time. For example, Grant is a very threatening screen presence. Largo just seems not to be as threatening.

Its also funny about 006. I know several people who dislike him. They all say the same thing - something about him being introduced too late into the story, others because he doesnt have enough time with Bond as friends. Of course, it could be that his scheme is never explained till the last minute. Or that his lines seem so ...grandiouse, whilst he is not. And of course he is overshadowed by Xenia.
    edited July 2007
    As for M being kidnapped being idiotic, well, have a word with Sir Kingsley Amis...
    So it's him I should blame? ;) 'Idiotic' may appear harsh however to me it felt like her kidnapping was an afterthought. I don't think it added anything to the film, and if it was taken away, I don't think it would have made a difference to the film.

Back onto topic; to me Largo is a representation of just how good the 60's Connery villains were. I love Largo but I think that Dr. No, Klebb and Goldfinger were alot better.