Footage from Goldfinger found

LOO7K OUTLOO7K OUT United KingdomPosts: 474MI6 Agent
Not sure if this is old news or not. But at the recent Raiders of the lost archive event, it was revealed that 12 mins of film trims and stand in shots from Goldfinger have been found. Boring stuff for most I'd imagine, but for behind the scenes junkies like me, it's an amazing find. Just need to see it now ;):v;)

Duncan

Comments

• superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    I haven't actually verified if it's just my imagination, but in the 2nd to the last release of the Bond DVD set (around DAD's release?), it seems that there are a handful of scenes, some of them about 2 seconds, real quick, but definitely cuts that I don't remember seeing before. I wonder if that's what these are? I leave room for false memory syndrome on my part, but you know how folks like us view these films in "Bond geek" fashion.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    woudln't that be something? A Goldfinger extended edition on DVD
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,270MI6 Agent
    Extended edition? Goldfingernail perhaps? :D
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    Extended edition? Goldfingernail perhaps? :D

{[] I see your point. Twelve minutes is a little light, but in the world of DVD extended editions and directors cuts, many have been produced with even thinner gruel.
  • bigzilchobigzilcho Toronto, ONPosts: 245MI6 Agent
    Extra footage of GF?!?!?

Can it be true?

Any extra scenes fom the early Bonds would be terrific news.

The one scene that seems to have been lost in the winds is the rooftop chase from OHMSS. That is the one significant scene from that era that I can recall reading about.

Any others?

"Its an inspired plan, Goldfinger."
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,220Chief of Staff
    bigzilcho wrote:
    Any others?

Not exhaustive by any means, but here's the first few springing to mind:

HONEY AND THE CRABS
    There's a scene towards the end of DN in which Bond rescues Honey after the death of Dr No. Still photos exist of Ursula Andress tied down with crabs crawling over her, as per Fleming, but the scene plays differently in the film with no crabs present- apparently it wasn't possible to make the scene threatening enough.

KERIM AND THE BULGAR
    At one point in FRWL Kerim prevents the moustached Bulgar from following Bond and Tania- but by this point the character was already dead (killed by Grant in the mosque) so the scene had to go.

007 AND THE ROYAL MAIL
    Just a few seconds, but during the opening titles of GF there's a shot of Bond passing a Royal Mail van in Q's lab which isn't in the relevant scene.

ABOARD THE DISCO VOLANTE
    Stills exist of Largo showing Bond around the Disco Volante as per Fleming, presumably after he's shown him Palmyra. These don't appear to have been posed for publicity like the ones featuring Largo, Domino and the frogmen.

The initial cuts of YOLT and OHMSS were very long, and much editing had to be done. The Cat knows a lot about the OHMSS edits.
  • LOO7K OUTLOO7K OUT United KingdomPosts: 474MI6 Agent
    I don't think there's been any extra usuable scenes founds, but it's vauluable stuff for a documentary. Film trims are usually clapperboard shots, people taking their mark and alternate takes. Stand in shots would be for lighting etc with, for example, someone else standing in for Connery whilst they check focus and light etc.

Unfortunately I haven't seen the footage, but I think it'll be nice. Now, if they'd just find some Thunderball footage, that would be amazing.

Duncan
  • Double-oh nineDouble-oh nine USAPosts: 60MI6 Agent
    LOO7K OUT wrote:
    I don't think there's been any extra usuable scenes founds, but it's vauluable stuff for a documentary. Film trims are usually clapperboard shots, people taking their mark and alternate takes. Stand in shots would be for lighting etc with, for example, someone else standing in for Connery whilst they check focus and light etc.

Unfortunately I haven't seen the footage, but I think it'll be nice. Now, if they'd just find some Thunderball footage, that would be amazing.

Duncan
    When I was just starting out in Film and Television as a sound tech, on the Spelling produced "Vegas", I worked with underwater cameraman, Lamar Borum, of Thunderball.
    He was the Director of Photography on the "Dan Tana" TV series. I had occasion to ask him about Thunderball which led him to recall many incidents from the production for other interested crew members.
    I do remember him claiming to possess second unit footage from the underwater battle scenes, somewhere in his garage! 8mm private stuff was also supposed to exist.
    Sadly, Lamar did not live to attend the 30th anniversary screening for the restored 70mm print of Thunderball in Westwood California. He is fondly remebered by myself, the film community and many veteran divers.
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    Its curious just to see what EON has lurking in their vaults. I know there were many scenes from DAD and CR that didnt make the final cut thatt I'd like to see.

If you have the latest batch of DVDs, they have several deleted scenes from the 1980s onwards, but I'm willing to bet that more must exist somewhere.

I'd love to see some YOLT deleted scenes, certainly would be interesting to see - I also heard that they cut about 40 mins of the final movie
  • LOO7K OUTLOO7K OUT United KingdomPosts: 474MI6 Agent
    edited October 2007
    I would love to know the full content of EONs film vault. I think though, the best stuff is sitting in the vaults of TV stations around the world. Newsreel and TV companies have had access to the Bond set from Goldfinger onwards. There must be a wealth of material from the Bahamas filming of Thunderball (for example)just waiting to be found and shown.

Regarding YOLT, I think alot of the cut scenes were before filming began. I know Lewis Gilbert once said there was somthing like 4 hours of YOLT before the edit, but, and this is just my opinion, I don't think there was ever a 4 hour cut of YOLT, just that the script needed pruning.

But I'll bet there's tons of stuff gathering dust in the basement of Japanese TV stations.

Hopefully, as already said, when the blu-ray releases of the films come out, there'll be even more extras on them. There's a lot of interest in behind the scenes material as well as vintage news reports and interviews and these deserve to be seen in full.

Problem is, a lot of TV companies charge a fortune per minute for this stuff, hence why some gorgeous stuff has been reduced to highlights. However, I think if they included them, they would sell. Thunderball, YOLT and particularly The Spy Who Loved me easily have enough material for 3 disc releases - here's hoping.

I think it would be interesting if the relevant folks started enquiring with TV stations around the world to see what they hold.

Duncan
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,270MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    bigzilcho wrote:
    Any others?

Not exhaustive by any means, but here's the first few springing to mind:

HONEY AND THE CRABS
    There's a scene towards the end of DN in which Bond rescues Honey after the death of Dr No. Still photos exist of Ursula Andress tied down with crabs crawling over her, as per Fleming, but the scene plays differently in the film with no crabs present- apparently it wasn't possible to make the scene threatening enough.

Exercises restraint... :D

Threatening for whom, though, Honey or the crabs? :o :))
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    I seem to remember a scene cut from TSWLM with Caroline Munro, and a fleet of dolphins.

If anyone ever locates the joker who decided to remove that integral plot piece I'll have him certified! ;)
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,220Chief of Staff
    Exercises restraint... :D

?:)