What's the name of this alternate Bond theme?

Railer 505Railer 505 Albany, NYPosts: 61MI6 Agent
It's the theme that plays at the Root Menu on the DVD of Diamonds are Forever as well as in a few scenes in Moonraker (like the boat chase between Jaws and Bond before going off the waterfall).

Comments

• i expect u2 diei expect u2 die LondonPosts: 583MI6 Agent
    edited September 2008
    Railer 505 wrote:
    It's the theme that plays at the Root Menu on the DVD of Diamonds are Forever as well as in a few scenes in Moonraker (like the boat chase between Jaws and Bond before going off the waterfall).

This is simply called '007', composed by John Barry. It appeared on many of the Connery films from 'From Russia With Love' onwards, and made a reappearance, as you say, in Moonraker. It can be found on both the FRWL and 'Thunderball' soundtracks, listed as '007'. :007)
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,385Chief of Staff
    edited September 2008
    This is, as IEU2D says, simply called "007" but is sometimes referred to as the "007 Theme". It was composed by John Barry as an alternative to the "James Bond Theme" and first occurs in FRWL during the Gypsy camp sequence and later when "007 Takes The Lector" (covered by Nic Raine & the City Of Prague Philharmonic). It doesn't appear in GF, but is used heavily in TB ("Street Chase", "Underwater Mayhem" and simply "007").

It next appears in YOLT during the Little Nellie sequence, and is unused in OHMSS. In DAF it is heard during the oil rig climax. It is then unheard until "Boat Chase" in MR, its last use to date. There have been rumours that David Arnold would use it (mainly in DAD owing to that film's frequent tributes to its predecessors) but to date that hasn't happened.

As a personal favourite, I enjoy the variations JB used in TB (he relied on the piece heavily owing to time constraints, and IMO handled it brilliantly). Coverwise, Roland Shaw did it best.

Footnote: Loeff, I'm sorely tempted to offer "JB" for your glossary re John Barry; the problem is that it's likely to be confused with "James Bond". Can I suggest that the use of the initials "JB" in a musical context can only apply to the man who David Arnold himself refers to as "The Master"?
  • Railer 505Railer 505 Albany, NYPosts: 61MI6 Agent
    very good