Connery Bond Homage Watch

Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
Well, I wanted to post about this over here. As many of you know, I have been a long time fan of watches, not merely Bond watches but watches in general. Most of you know me through my article Bonding With Time:

http://www.ajb007.co.uk/articles/rolex-submariner/

which is soon to be updated with an addendum followed by part two, that has been truncated into two parts because it is so long. Hopefully Simon will make this happen soon. But I digress. My interest in watches runs the gamut. One area of interest is in military watches and I have been a long time lurker over at the Military Watch Resource and finally recently joined that forum.

Today while on MWR I saw a post by Bill Yao. Mr. Yao and his company MKII Watches started as a parts seller to modify Seiko and Ollech Wajs dive watches with different hands, dials, crystals and the like. Then Mr. Yao began making his own hommages to highly sought after military watches. I own one of his modified Seiko dive watches and one of his Stingrays which is a hommage to the vintage Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. His quality is fantastic and his prices beat the big boys handily. His watches are also now appearing in advertisements in watch magazines.

Well, to make a long story short he is toying with the idea of making a hommage to the Connery Bond Submariner among other things. So weigh in about it here:

http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showthread.php?p=69191

Go to the bottom of the first post and click on "Click Here to take survey" link. You'll have to also weigh in on the Tornek Rayville and the Omega Hommages as well. The Omega hommage is based on an early Omega Seamaster which is the model for todays Planet Ocean.

Bill's website is here:

http://www.mkiiwatches.com

If you look closely, you'll see some tasty hommages already in production. Don't say I didn't give you the inside skinny because you just got it.

Pair the Yao/Connery hommage with a Camfam strap and all of a sudden you hear guitars strumming and females humming. Tell him Donald Grant sent you. Yeah baby!

DG
So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
image_zps6a725e59.jpg
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.

Comments

• Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    edited December 2008
    Sweet {[] But you do realise that many people are going to think these are fakes and that hypocrisy rules. The difference is obvious (defunct 50 year+ old design, no Rolex trademark infringement, long expired copyright on the design), but you can see whats going to happen :007)

The others on the site look superb, it will be very interesting to see how the project goes.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • trs007trs007 AmericaPosts: 102MI6 Agent
    Interesting. I will be curious to see how these look when photos are ready, considering a good deal of hostility being displayed in another thread on the topic of replica watches. Since it is a "homage", I would imagine brand names will not be present on these items?
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    Sounds like a good idea- the Explorer on the site looks nice, but I'd rather have a real one (and those a reasonably priced)
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    Well, hommages are not fakes because they don't infringe on trademarks. Mr. Yao uses the MKII logo on his watches so there can be no mistake about the origin of his watches. From a conversation I had with Mr. Yao a while ago, he used MKII for his company name because in the military, updated versions of equipment are often referred to as Mark II, Mark III etc. Sort of like Navy diving helmets. Anyway, I can attest to his quality.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
    Well, hommages are not fakes because they don't infringe on trademarks. Mr. Yao uses the MKII logo on his watches so there can be no mistake about the origin of his watches. From a conversation I had with Mr. Yao a while ago, he used MKII for his company name because in the military, updated versions of equipment are often referred to as Mark II, Mark III etc. Sort of like Navy diving helmets. Anyway, I can attest to his quality.

DG

Glad you cleared that up DG. Have you any idea what the time on this project would be? And price?
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited December 2008
    My opinions are divided:

It seems, that Mr. Yao captured well the good sides of the Connery Rolex watch.
    And there is no discussion, that his replica would violate copyright and/or supports criminal organisations like most of the offered copywatches do (I know, some people doubt is, but it IS true).

No doubt, is is a phantastic project and his quality seems to be superb.

On the other hand, I can't say, that I MUST have this watch in my James Bond collection as it is not the real deal and the differences are too obvious to call it a qualified replica (and that would infact be bad with a Rolex replica :s ).

As fascinating as this project would be, I would not be interested.

It's a bit like the a replica oldtimer car (As an example, we may look at the Porsche 356 Speedster replicas )without the original badges: No matter how well it is done, I won't get crazy for it.

But I understand and accept people, who do.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    This is more of a wearing watch rather than a collectors piece. I rarely if ever wear any of my miltary/Comex or 6538 Bond Rolex watches as they are just too valuable and rare. MKII's military Sub and this Connery watch look like excellent wear pieces, and more subtle too.
    Asp9mm wrote:
    This is more of a wearing watch rather than a collectors piece. I rarely if ever wear any of my miltary/Comex or 6538 Bond Rolex watches as they are just too valuable and rare. MKII's military Sub and this Connery watch look like excellent wear pieces, and more subtle too.

Bondtoys,

I think Asp9mm hit the nail on the head with his response. However, I'm not here to sell you, I'm just here to give you the information and you can do with it what you will. A lot of people have lamented the fact that the Connery era Rolex is stratosspheric in terms of price. Here is your chance to own something very similar without breaking the bank or buying a fake. It's your call. I don't need one, but I'll definitely get one because it will hit all the bases and represent excellent quality for the money.

As for hotrods, well that's another story, but don't forget the Studillac or Bond's custom Bently.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    edited December 2008
    To have a mil sub style watch or a Connery Bond watch that is high quality and can actually be worn over a wet suit or in the sea is an exciting concept for me. If these had the Rolex symbols on them or the coronet, then they would not be desirable in any way to me (unless Rolex did a re-issue of course).
    edited December 2008
    Asp9mm wrote:

DG

Glad you cleared that up DG. Have you any idea what the time on this project would be? And price?

Don't know Mr. Yao's time frame. I know that the Tornek-Rayville, which he now owns the name rights to, will be first on the block. I suspect that if there are enough people who fill out his survey and e-mail him separately about the Connery hommage, he might move quicker on it. It's up to you the Bond fan. As for price, $500.00 to $600.00 and change is typically the price. Still much lower than the big boys. If you search the MKII site you can more accurately guage pricing.

Don't forget these watches are now being advertised in watch magazines. Mr. Yao also typically offers custom options on his watches within certain parameters.

MKII watches will never be 100% like the original watches, but in most cases they are superior to the originals. I look at MKII as a quality brand for its own sake, and buy them because they are MKII, but that's me. I just love nice timepieces. You can be cutting edge by buying MKII before everybody knows about them. I have already, and I'm telling you they are top quality.

Be like Bond, and buy a quality instrument because you recognize it as such, not merely because it is expensive or has brand recognition.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    edited December 2008
    Looks like the Bond hommage is a go for round two. Here is a direct quote from Mr. Yao:

"Bond sub will go to the next stage. One more survey to make sure there is enough common ground to do the watch. Then assuming things work out well we will set up a forum to discuss the fine points of the watch."

Go to the above MWR link for exact context.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • Aston Martin DBSAston Martin DBS Derbyshire, EnglandPosts: 659MI6 Agent
    I would be most interested in one of these watches and DG I was wondering if you could tell me if the watch will be waterproof and how much would it retail for? It's my 30th Birthday next year and I'm thinking this might be a good way to mark (II) the occasion :D
    "NEVER SAY NO TO ADVENTURES." Ian Fleming
    edited December 2008
    I would be most interested in one of these watches and DG I was wondering if you could tell me if the watch will be waterproof and how much would it retail for? It's my 30th Birthday next year and I'm thinking this might be a good way to mark (II) the occasion :D

See above, but typically his watches cost $500.00 to $600.00 dollars. If you search his website you can get a better idea on pricing.

Edit: Yes it will be waterproof.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • Red IndianRed Indian BostonPosts: 427MI6 Agent
    Thanks for the info DG. I've been waiting to hear this for years! I can attest to MKII's quality, and greatly look forward to this.

It's in the same price range as the CWC Royal Navy Auto and a quality timepiece in its own right.

It will be great to have another quality watch that checks all of the same boxes as the CWC with regard to a "Bond watch" IMO.

I've been wearing the CWC for years on a Bond NATO and it's one of the best (if not the best) dive watches I've worn.
    Red Indian wrote:
    Thanks for the info DG. I've been waiting to hear this for years! I can attest to MKII's quality, and greatly look forward to this.

It's in the same price range as the CWC Royal Navy Auto and a quality timepiece in its own right.

It will be great to have another quality watch that checks all of the same boxes as the CWC with regard to a "Bond watch" IMO.

I've been wearing the CWC for years on a Bond NATO and it's one of the best (if not the best) dive watches I've worn.

Yes, I know, it's very exciting news indeed about the MKII. Mr. Yao's watches are top quality. As for the CWC watches, I just got a CWC SBS watch for Christmas and look forward to buying some of their other pieces, including the automatic version of their dive watch.

If you Bond fans want this item, I suggest you e-mail MKII/Mr.Yao and tell him you want one, apart form the survey. Who knows, perhaps if we have enough people, maybe we can do a group buy and get a better price. We can certainly run it up the flagpole.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    edited December 2008
    Good news, Bill Yao (MKII Watches) has sent out a second survey with respsct to the Connery Bond hommage watch. The survey is called "Project Thunderball". He emailed them and asked that we not forward it. So if you expressed interest you probably got one. The survey had to do with case size, crystal type, bracelet type etc. I answered the survey in a way that would keep the watch as close to the original as possible.

Looks like this one is a go.

Merry Christmas.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • Red IndianRed Indian BostonPosts: 427MI6 Agent
    Thanks Donald. I completed the second survey as well. The lug width (when all is done) should accomodate a 20mm NATO, right?

I guess it all depends on what case size Bill ends up going with?

Looking great! A dream come true!

Even if I was a Billionaire I don't think I'd wear an original Rolex sub from the 50's to go diving! I'd kick myself if anything happened to it!

This is much more practical and "Bond" IMO.

Happy Holidays everyone!
    Red Indian wrote:
    Thanks Donald. I completed the second survey as well. The lug width (when all is done) should accomodate a 20mm NATO, right?

I guess it all depends on what case size Bill ends up going with?

Looking great! A dream come true!

Even if I was a Billionaire I don't think I'd wear an original Rolex sub from the 50's to go diving! I'd kick myself if anything happened to it!

This is much more practical and "Bond" IMO.

Happy Holidays everyone!

I would think the lug width would remain 20mm. The case size of the original was about 38mm, so I opted for the slightly smaller case size. He offered slightly smaller or slightly larger case sizes and then oversize cases. The oversize cases I think would be ridiculous for a propper Connery hommage watch. Also went with the domed acrylic crystal, rivetted bracelet with folded end links and original style lug pins.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    edited January 2009
    O.K. my fellow Bond fans I got the following message from Bill Yao of MK II Watches:

Project Kingston "Bond" Submariner

Dear Forumer,

The second survey's results were very positive. I have arranged with Ernie of WUS to set up a Mk II forum to develop this project as well as other projects that I am developing. The forum is expected to debut this coming weekend.

Based on the survey the watch will feature the following specifications:
    Size: 39-39.3 mm in diameter
    Length: 47.90 mm
    Crystal: Domed sapphire with AR coating on the interior
    Crown: Trip-lock style crown
    Dial: primary dial will be non-date with perhaps a date option

Issues to be decided:
    Name of the watch
    Bracelet style/type (Fliplock, riveted style vs. oyster-style, …)
    Dial option(s)
    Hand design
    Case back design
    Bezel insert options

I look forward to collaborating with you on the new forum.

Best Regards,

Bill Yao

P.S. You will only receive one additional e-mail from this mailing list. This will regard a special discount on pre-orders for those that participated in this survey. After that message this distribution list will be de-activated. Thank you for your support.

If you want some imput on the final design of the Bond homage watch, then join the forum if you have not heretofore been invited. I think this is too cool for school. Don't worry it will not be called a Submariner.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    Fellow Bond fans check out the Bond homage watch discussion thread here:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=227002

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    Not sure how I managed to skip this thread, but that mock up looks really nice. Looks like Mr. Y is doing a first class "homage".

Depending on "the big picture", I would love to purchase one of these, it would look pretty neat with one of Camfam's nylon straps!
    O.K. guys and gals, Bill Yao has put up a pre-order page for his Bond Submariner homage. Tentative name for the watch is Kingston, but this and other details are being hammered out at the Watchuseek MKII forum. Here is the pre-order link:

http://www.mkiiwatches.com/WSWrapper.jsp?mypage=le_kingston.htm

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • texas007texas007 Houston, Texas 77041Posts: 2,346MI6 Agent
    Pre-ordered mine - thank you for the heads-up!
    texas007 wrote:
    Pre-ordered mine - thank you for the heads-up!

My pleasure.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    The MkII Bond homage Sub is a limited edition of only 300. Truly a limited edition particulary when you compare this to the thousands of Omega so called limited editions that are sold. Don't miss out! You'll be sorry if you do.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    I totally agree - this is a rare opportunity we are presented - I doubt it will occur again. It is also a super good deal for what we will be getting - especially for the first 100 who pre-ordered. I will be very honored to be part of the limited 300. Just love the fact that I will have such a unique and beautiful time piece. Thank you Rick!
  • k7lrok7lro Posts: 6MI6 Agent
    Hiya Gang - I followed Donald Grant over here - cool place.

I'm kind of a watch guy - especially "tool" watches. My current favorites are a Ball Hydro GMT and an O&W w/ a GMT bezel. Bill's new project will fit right in with these.

I'd also like to add a small point which may or may not influence your decision - the first 100 purchases will receive quite an extension set of spares. From Bill's site:

- Watch will ship with a full complement of spare parts including
    * Second bracelet as a spare
    * Gasket kit
    * Spare case body complete with crown, case tube, crystal and bezel (please note that this does not include a movement ring or second case back. These parts are available at no charge to you if you send your original parts back for exchange should you need to perform a repair)
    * Spare dial and handset (if there is more than one dial/hand set option available your spare set can be different from that installed on your watch.)

While I hesitate to call any watch that costs more than $19.95 a bargain, a set of spares like this and his price point are extremely attractive. Even if you obtain one and don't like it, you'll be able to resell it literally in minutes on the more popular watch sites like timezone and watchuseek.

Cheers,
    Gerry
    k7lro wrote:
    Hiya Gang - I followed Donald Grant over here - cool place.

I'm kind of a watch guy - especially "tool" watches. My current favorites are a Ball Hydro GMT and an O&W w/ a GMT bezel. Bill's new project will fit right in with these.

I'd also like to add a small point which may or may not influence your decision - the first 100 purchases will receive quite an extension set of spares. From Bill's site:

- Watch will ship with a full complement of spare parts including
    * Second bracelet as a spare
    * Gasket kit
    * Spare case body complete with crown, case tube, crystal and bezel (please note that this does not include a movement ring or second case back. These parts are available at no charge to you if you send your original parts back for exchange should you need to perform a repair)
    * Spare dial and handset (if there is more than one dial/hand set option available your spare set can be different from that installed on your watch.)

While I hesitate to call any watch that costs more than $19.95 a bargain, a set of spares like this and his price point are extremely attractive. Even if you obtain one and don't like it, you'll be able to resell it literally in minutes on the more popular watch sites like timezone and watchuseek.

Cheers,
    Gerry

Welcome Gerry, and thanks for posting that information about the MKII Bond homage. You beat me to it.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • k7lrok7lro Posts: 6MI6 Agent
    Fyi gang - Bill posted a note that the pre-orders are approaching 100 meaning that you'll miss out on the spares that he's including. If you're on the fence, you might want to make your move sooner rather than later. Those spares were very much worth it to me.

YMMV of course.
    Pre-order closed - I guess we are moving along nicely to the 2nd stage right?