Tiny Grievances

Mister WhiteMister White The NetherlandsPosts: 814MI6 Agent
Based on the great thread of Tiny Pleasures (Thanks Willy) I thought it might be an idea to start a thread where we can list the tiny things that annoy us. I know how we all like to bitch and moan...:v

Here's mine:

The sound effect that they have added in TMWTGG, when the car jumps the river. It's stupid, childish and not needed. And to add insult to injury, it's even on the soundtrack, ruïning what would have been a perfectly good piece of music.X-(
"Christ, I miss the Cold War."

Comments

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,304MI6 Agent
    But hardly ruining a perfect film!

For me it would be the finale of FRWL, where there's an obvious cut reference to Bond and Tania's sexual shenanigans that should be reinstated if only they could find the footage, and the jumpy shaky camera for the end credits. It's a bit jarring.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Vargas and a henchman search for Bond and find a mask. Do they comb the area for more clues? Some unmistakeable evidence that he is actually dead? I dunno, perhaps a blood trail or something?

No, at the moment of their discovery, they high-tail it back, (at warp speed), to bring Largo a scuba mask.

Sorry, just something about their haste after finding something a fugitive could easily remove that bothers me. Then again, Vargas probably doesn't "think" either.

Mind you, (now I sound like NP), TB's one of the favorites.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    The Invisible car From DAD
    The Editing In QOS
    Most of TMWTGG, The as mentioned Whistle over the car jump.
    The Fighting Schoolgirls who then leave Bond behind.
    The Silly Crocodile sub From Octopussy.
    Jealous Husbands,Outraged Chefs, Humilated Tailors The List Is Endless. :)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    TB - Bond discovers Paula dead, then sneaks out of the basement, pushing open a heavy metal door that thuds down on cement...and makes barely a whisper of a sound! How convenient.

OHMSS - Never liked the fight scene in the hallway outside Draco's office. It's impossible to follow, and the weird echoes make no sense. The scene feels oddly psychedelic.

TMWTGG - Can't stand how Hip's voice is dubbed in some of the scenes. The indoor scenes are Soon Taik Oh's real voice, but any time Hip is outdoors or yelling, it's clearly someone else. An annoying distraction.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    YOLT: Donald Pleasance

OHMSS: Telly Savalas

What was wrong with Anthony Dawson?
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,304MI6 Agent
    Well he had been Professor Dent in Dr No, suggesting perhaps a Usual Suspects type surprise had he turned out to be Blofeld. A rather weasly looking actor too.

Max Von Sydow might have been good, in more serious mode than in NSNA, especially in OHMSS. I wish Lazenby had been up against a less charming Blofeld as it takes the focus of gravity away from him imo.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Harry PalmerHarry Palmer Somewhere in the past ...Posts: 325MI6 Agent
    Tiny Grievances starting with the biggest:

1. LTK: The two OTT truck stunts at the end, ruining what would otherwise have been a perfect Bond film.

2. LTD: The cheesy "Barry Manilow" dialogue between Bond and Moneypenny

(You can tell I'm very invested in Dalton's bond)

3. DAD: Jinx killing Miranda Frost, when I would rather have had it the other way round.
    1. Cr, 2. Ltk, 3. Tld, 4. Qs, 5. Ohmss, 6. Twine, 7. Tnd, 8. Tswlm, 9. Frwl, 10. Tb, 11. Ge, 12. Gf, 13. Dn, 14. Mr, 15. Op, 16. Yolt, 17. Sf, 18. Daf, 19. Avtak, 20. Sp, 21. Fyeo, 22. Dad, 23. Lald, 24. Tmwtgg
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    Im not going to mention the obvious like double taking pigeons. But...

TB: The fade/switching/spinning editing between scenes. And Sean Connerys look of lack of interest.

YOLT: Generally the poor quality of how this film looks.

FYEO: Resorting to sillyness, as they feel they need it.

MR to AVTAK: Lois Maxwell as Moneypenny, looked older than Roger Moore. Although she is lovely.

TND: Too much gun action.

DAD: Graves' lines. Like "under the skin" just feel pretentious.

CR: House falling in Venice, just seemed a little OTT, but still alright.

QoS: How Fields looks went downhill at Greenes party.
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • MailfistMailfist Posts: 241MI6 Agent
    Here's mine:

DN - the soundtrack. Always intusive and never appropriate. Thank God they found John Barry.

TB - Bond's knocking out the guard at Palmyra. He's meant to be sneaking in without any one seeing him yet he insists on knocking out a guard that hasn't spotted him and then leaving the unconscious body lying about for anybody to find.

OHMSS - the'this never happened to the other fella' line. Really winds me up. Totally shatters the illusion that we are meant to be watching the same character.

DAF - most of the movie actually, but particuliarly the miscasting and writing of Blofeld. And of course as has been mentioned Blofeld in drag.

LALD - Kananga's death.

TMWTGG - the end fight with Nic Nac.

TSWLM - Jaws surviving.

MR - the entire movie.

FYEO - start and end. The 'I'll buy you a delicatessent in stainless steel' at the start, and the Maggie Thatcher bit at the end.

OP - the crocidile sub, and the girls raid on Khan's palace.

AVTAK - Beach Boys track in PCS.

TLD - the name of the villian. Brad Whittaker - thats what you call your next door neighbour, not a Bond vilian.

LTK - too sombre.

TND - Jonathan Pryce miscast.

DAD - invisible car

QOS - shaky camera work
  • LazyBeeLazyBee Posts: 15MI6 Agent
    I'm surprised more people didn't complain about this:
    NO CLOSURE ON THE BLOFELD STORY! DAF ended ambiguously and FYEO hardly provided the solution and Bond's final "revenge" on Blofeld. It makes my so angry and all because of that arse McClory.

My other minor annoyance would be the poor looking green screen shot of Connery sliding down the ... slide in Thunderball, when in the previous shot it was real and looked better.

My final point is when Lazenby breaks the forth wall. As if coping with the enormous shift in character tone and appearance wasn't enough, and for the previous actor to return! Sheesh. Although I am happy that Tamahori's suggestion of Connery's Bond being Brosnan's Bond's father (you follow), Bond is one man. Always was, always will be.
  • MailfistMailfist Posts: 241MI6 Agent
    Totally agree with LazyBee about the Blofeld closure. I was totaly unsatisfactory.

Blofeld is Bond's main enemy, his Moriarty, yet he never got the chance to finish him in a proper fashion. Blofelds 'death' at the end of DAF was totally anti-climatic (mind you so was most of the movie). Apart from the PTS there was no real reference to the fact that Blofeld has killed Bond's wife, and that was more implied than explicit. For all the reference that was made Blofeld could just have been any opponent Bond was chasing. When Bond discovers Blofeld is alive for all the reaction that was given they might as well have been two old school chums who fell out over a girl and hadn't spoken since. Bad writing and slack direction.

As for the PTS in FYEO while it was a good sequence it was put in more as two fingers to Kevin McClory rather than giving some proer closure. It never really came across as Blofeld, just a stuntman in a badly fitting shower cap.
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    I've ranted about this before, but I absolutely hate the fact that when Pam is dragged into the swimming pool, not all of her dress gets soaked; there are a couple of dry patches until she gets dunked. Every single time I see the film that's all I can stare at.
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    edited March 2009
    My most current tiny grievance has to be the underuse of the number '007' when referring to Bond. It's used only once in CR (during the poisoning sequence), and only shows up on a computer screen at MI6 HQ, when Bond is identified as being on the phone, in QoS.

I want more 'Double-Oh Sevens'...and a 'Commander' or two, while we're at it... :(
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • JADE66JADE66 Posts: 238MI6 Agent
    During Dr. No, when Bond is preparing for the arrival Of Professor Dent, we see him attach a slincer to his gun. A Beretta logo is clearly visible in a closeup of the pistol. Didn't M order Bond to "leave the Beretta"?
    Just a tiny grievance.
  • Mister WhiteMister White The NetherlandsPosts: 814MI6 Agent
    Actually I'm sorry to have to disagree with you on that one, Jade66.

M did indeed order Bond to leave the Beretta. But being arrogant and obstinate (the way we all love him :D) decided to take a Beretta anyway.

I believe the movie follows the book in this, but correct me if I am wrong as I haven't read Doctor No again since I was eight...:#
    "Christ, I miss the Cold War."
    Actually I'm sorry to have to disagree with you on that one, Jade66.

M did indeed order Bond to leave the Beretta. But being arrogant and obstinate (the way we all love him :D) decided to take a Beretta anyway.

I believe the movie follows the book in this, but correct me if I am wrong as I haven't read Doctor No again since I was eight...:#

In the book Bond leaves the Beretta behind and takes the Walther and the Smith and Wesson Centennial Airweight that the armourer issues to him. M's orders are final and though Bond misses his Beretta he soon gets to know the Walther and Smith and Wesson as superior weapons. Professor Dent does not appear in the novel. He is a character created for the film.;)
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    Whittaker and Bond in the stupid scene in TND:
    Where Bond doesnt shoot him somehwere other than at his head because that pathetic glass sheild is blocking ONLY his face, shoot his heart or 5 times in the body!!!!!! X-(
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I might be wrong in this but i always thought Bond not only shot at the screen covering the gun but at his body as well leading to the line
    "Your popgun is no use against modern body armour",I'll Have to have another look at this sceen.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Mark HazardMark Hazard West Midlands, UKPosts: 495MI6 Agent
    JADE66 wrote:
    During Dr. No, when Bond is preparing for the arrival Of Professor Dent, we see him attach a slincer to his gun. A Beretta logo is clearly visible in a closeup of the pistol. Didn't M order Bond to "leave the Beretta"?
    Just a tiny grievance.

Look again - that logo is "FN" (Fabrique Nationale) as the pistol is a Belgian licence made Browning 1910. The late Geoffrey Boothroyd told me that this was used because of its better (than the PPKs) reliability when firing blanks using a silencer.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    Yeah, that's always slightly nettled me---after making a big deal about the PPK in Bond's scene with M, it's obviously not a PPK he uses to kill Dent X-(

That's movies...
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    JADE66 wrote:
    Just a tiny grievance.

Look again - that logo is "FN" (Fabrique Nationale) as the pistol is a Belgian licence made Browning 1910. The late Geoffrey Boothroyd told me that this was used because of its better (than the PPKs) reliability when firing blanks using a silencer.

Thanks for the info. It looked to me like the Beretta "arrows" logo. Good to know.
  • Thomas CrownThomas Crown Posts: 119MI6 Agent
    I always roll my eyes when I watch TWINE and see that the missile Bond fires from the boat in the PTS is actually the same missile fired twice. It's just a simple editing mistake, and I still enjoy the movie, but it always, always bugs me.

The other "tiny grievance" I have in an otherwise fairly good Bond movie is in GoldenEye. Who is the person that poses as the dead admiral with Xena before the Tiger is stolen? And how does Oroumov get in the chopper after?
  • GeorgiboyGeorgiboy Posts: 632MI6 Agent
    When Roger Moore says "butterhook" to Tee Hee in LALD. I love Roger Moore, but some of his quips were really unnecessary and childish.

Also, like others have said, the sound effect they added onto the jump in TMWTGG.
  • PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    Nice thread Mister White. I agree 100% with your dislike of the sound effect during the "Astro spiral jump" in TMWTGG and I think I would put it near or at the top of my list of "tiny grievances." It is totally out of place during such a great stunt. It is one of the few highlights in an IMHO rather dull movie. I remember hearing someone on one of the audio commentary tracks on the TMWTGG DVD saying that, in hindsight, they regretted putting in that slide whistle.

But there are a few more that I would like to mention. Most of them are really small things.

-Diamonds are forever
    When 007 meets Peter Franks for the first time (outside Tiffany's apartment in Amsterdam) he says: "Guten abend" which is German, instead of "Goedenavond" which is Dutch. Although it seems like something small, I think it is an obvious mistake. But I might be biased.

-Moonraker
    The "I never learned to read" line.

-Goldeneye
    I really hate that little prayer Caroline does when Bond is racing Xenia in her Ferrari. It is such bad acting, every time I see it I cringe.

-TWINE
    When M finds out that Electra has been playing her and Bond all along, she slaps Elektra in the face. I really think she should have punched her with her fist, I think it would be something the head of Mi6 would do instead of just slapping her. I would not have mind to see Elektra with a black eye the rest of the movie because of it.
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
  • LazyBeeLazyBee Posts: 15MI6 Agent
    Another couple of mine... (may or may not have been mentioned already)

- Octopussy:
    The Tarzan holler. Hate that sooo much.

- A View to A Kill:
    When Bond is posing as James St. John Smythe, there is a really annoying kink in Moore's hair, toward the neck. Very minor but very annoying (to me anyway :p).
This discussion has been closed.