Bonds Medals in YOLT

Gadget MeisterGadget Meister Bicester, OxonPosts: 1,972MI6 Agent
Was watching YOLT the other day and decided it would be nice to make up Bond's ribbons to go with the hat, epaulettes and Instant Japanese book. As far as I can tell and I am hoping that some one can give some more input here, the ribbons are as follows:

Top row L-R
Knight Commander of the Order of Saint Michael and Saint George
Distinguished Service Order
1939–45 Star

2nd row
Atlantic Star (With subsequent France and Germany Star denoted by the Silver Rosette clasp)
Pacific Star (With subsequent Burma Star denoted by the Silver Rosette clasp)

3rd row
Defence Medal
War Medal

Any help would be appreciated (confirmation or otherwise) , before I order these ribbons.

Thanks guys

GM -{

Edit - I have tracked down a couple of other threads with regard to this but they are patently off by miles, some are saying that he wears 10 medal ribbons in YOLT and this is so obviously not the case. 7 ribbons in three rows, I appreciate that this misaprehension may be a result of poor screen caps. I believe my list above is cetainly more in keeping with a Naval Officer who served throughout WWII, although Bond uses the post nominals KCMG in the novels he is also entitled, if we believe the ribbons, to use DSO as well.

I used the following sites to identify the awards:

http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/F094AB02-070D-4D93-A15C-EDA1694A1591/0/Medals_Booklet.pdf

http://www.worldmedals.co.uk/Rib/Britrib/britribb.htm

Comments

• 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    It would be nice to know if these ribbons represent something oter than a costumer's fantasy. I was hoping they would be copies of Ian Fleming's awards - but that is clearly not the case.

Would love to see pics of your cap, jacket and book!
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    8-) I am sure, that this will be the opportunity to be lectured in the usual boring manner by Asp9mm. He will be there shortly, I am sure :D
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • ke02ewwke02eww USPosts: 2,063MI6 Agent
    edited October 2009
    Well if ASP9mm isn't going to pick up the gauntlet, here goes...

I've checked this fairly carefully (there is precious little on the web about these decorations) and I've put togther a little collage for each film/Bond.

Hope these are clear and help GM...

yolt.jpg

tswlm-1.jpg

tnd.jpg

These are the sources I found most useful....

Some way down on this link Publius:
    http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r236/publius1801/CdrJamesBondCMGDSODSCMBERNVR-1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic.php%3Ff%3D46%26t%3D112858%26start%3D325&usg=__5jZxXUcn3TWbOOzzGwJjb_H9S7Q=&h=724&w=407&sz=95&hl=en&start=33&um=1&tbnid=IXKBBRAQ19tmvM:&tbnh=140&tbnw=79&prev=/images%3Fq%3Djames%2Bbond%2Bnavy%2Buniform%2Bpicture%26ndsp%3D21%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4GPEA_enGB300GB302%26sa%3DN%26start%3D21%26um%3D1

very insightful, but I feel with an erro on the Brosnan medals....also it creates a collage of ALL bonds decorations (inc the order of Lenin from AVTAK) which would look thus;

publius1.jpg

Also this was helpful, though again I feel incomplete...

http://www.mjnewton.demon.co.uk/bond/navy.htm

The thing I'm most unsure about is the choice of clasp used in YOLT for the Pacific Star....on the screen caps i've included it looks like a bar of cross....I think it should have been the same silver rosette used on the Atlantic Star next to it...ASP?

Anyway, back to my train spotting....
  • Gadget MeisterGadget Meister Bicester, OxonPosts: 1,972MI6 Agent
    Many thanks KE02 EWW

Glad you agree on YOLT, the only bar/clasp available for the Pacific Star is a Rosette, so that's what it must be.

As far as TSWLM is concerned I think the NGSM is close, but looking at the screen cap it appears to be Red/White/Green/White/Fine line of indeterminate colour/White/Green/White/Red. I can't find anything resembling that, so may just be a vagary of the screen cap image, certainly the NGSM is the closest I can find.

As an aside, last weekend, I actually had my hands on one of the actual TND uniforms made for the movie (poss not screen used) and can definately confirm those ribbons.

Anyway have ordered my ribbons for YOLT and will post up some pics when I recieve them.

GM -{
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    Thanks gentlemen! I've seen threads about Bond's service ribbons here and other forums but I don't remember a visual or itemized rendering like how it was done above, which really made it all connect mentally.

So, with apololgies to Bondtoys... ;)

I'm one to squint and accept the movie Bond's history, so it's interesting to see the choices in medals made for each rendition of Commander Bond like milestones in the Bond film series. By the time of YOLT, we have SuperBond and it's funny to see how 007 served in both European and Pacific theaters of WWII, whereas the Lit. Bond was only in Europe as far as the stories reveal, and in the US if the timeframe and scope of the war is stretched to include his assassination of the Japanese Cipher expert. Also, as I learned from the CR threads on the 2005 adaptation of Lit. Bond's service history, Bond wasn't really in the Royal Navy proper but was given a rank in the reserves for the practical purpose of facilitating his intelligence and covert activities; therefore, I wonder how much of his wartime activities can be translated for posterity in the form of service medals, considering the secret classification status of some of Bond's missions.

Anyway, Moore Bond's ribbons in TSWLM seem more in keeping with Lit. Bond's quasi-status as an officer in the Royal Navy, considering the lack of ribbons for any specific campaign. On the other hand, the ribbons given to Brosnan Bond hint of a Special Forces career before joining MI6, considering the then recent conflicts that involved NATO and the UK.

In the end, I have no immediate visual knowledge of these ribbons and for me they just add a nice military effect that's appropriate when Bond becomes a uniformed Commander (which I think never happened in the stories except maybe in OHMSS?) The aspect then that I think is great is observing the filmakers' treatment of the Bond character throughout the series, particularly their attention to detail that might never even register to the regular viewer like myself.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    Very cool; great info! I'd very much like to see Bond in uniform again, with the ribbons reflecting his updated (latest) pre-'00' military career, as detailed in the 2006 dossier...
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    superado wrote:

Don't worry, Superado. Not boring and not as predominant as Asp9mm"s usual lessons :D

ke02eww,

Excellent work putting the montage of ribbons together!

Is there any possibility somone could locate a list of Ian Fleming's awards? For literary Bond, I think that would be the best guide.

Literary Bond of course has the CMG, but it is also mentioned that his service resulted in "two rows of lettuce". I could not locate the exact quote, but believe it is in OHMSS, during the passage in which Bond relects on the "Twin Snakes Club".

Just because, here is a photo of Bond's CMG

MEDAL2.jpg
    Many thanks KE02 EWW

Glad you agree on YOLT, the only bar/clasp available for the Pacific Star is a Rosette, so that's what it must be.

As far as TSWLM is concerned I think the NGSM is close, but looking at the screen cap it appears to be Red/White/Green/White/Fine line of indeterminate colour/White/Green/White/Red. I can't find anything resembling that, so may just be a vagary of the screen cap image, certainly the NGSM is the closest I can find.

As an aside, last weekend, I actually had my hands on one of the actual TND uniforms made for the movie (poss not screen used) and can definately confirm those ribbons.

Anyway have ordered my ribbons for YOLT and will post up some pics when I recieve them.

GM -{

You're welcome GD....have been meaning to do this research for my own collection for years, and been too lazy...your request spurred me on, so thanks!...
    on the Pacific clasp, I've got 10 screen caps all poor, seeming to imply the used a bar rather than the rosette...I think that was an error, but would love to know for certain....

on the NGSM, again I think it's the screen cap....TSWLM is a fairly "darK film, at least during that sequence, and I took a few screen caps but they all looked differnt colours!...
    I'm pretty convinced it's a photochromic effect and that it was the red NGSM....

think I know the TND uniform, and I pinched the cuff pic in the corner from the original advert for that uniform from the prop supplier...

anyway, let's stay in touch and post pics when you get ur ribbons!..cheers Paul
    superado wrote:
    Thanks gentlemen! I've seen threads about Bond's service ribbons here and other forums but I don't remember a visual or itemized rendering like how it was done above, which really made it all connect mentally.

I'm one to squint and accept the movie Bond's history, so it's interesting to see the choices in medals made for each rendition of Commander Bond like milestones in the Bond film series. By the time of YOLT, we have SuperBond and it's funny to see how 007 served in both European and Pacific theaters of WWII, whereas the Lit. Bond was only in Europe as far as the stories reveal, and in the US if the timeframe and scope of the war is stretched to include his assassination of the Japanese Cipher expert. Also, as I learned from the CR threads on the 2005 adaptation of Lit. Bond's service history, Bond wasn't really in the Royal Navy proper but was given a rank in the reserves for the practical purpose of facilitating his intelligence and covert activities; therefore, I wonder how much of his wartime activities can be translated for posterity in the form of service medals, considering the secret classification status of some of Bond's missions.

Anyway, Moore Bond's ribbons in TSWLM seem more in keeping with Lit. Bond's quasi-status as an officer in the Royal Navy, considering the lack of ribbons for any specific campaign. On the other hand, the ribbons given to Brosnan Bond hint of a Special Forces career before joining MI6, considering the then recent conflicts that involved NATO and the UK.

In the end, I have no immediate visual knowledge of these ribbons and for me they just add a nice military effect that's appropriate when Bond becomes a uniformed Commander (which I think never happened in the stories except maybe in OHMSS?) The aspect then that I think is great is observing the filmakers' treatment of the Bond character throughout the series, particularly their attention to detail that might never even register to the regular viewer like myself.

Thx Superado....

I tend to agree with you...I'd have much preferred the awards to have 1) been a homage to IF and 2) been consistent!..

but I guess that's artistic license for ya...

cheers
    7289 wrote:
    ke02eww,

Excellent work putting the montage of ribbons together!

Is there any possibility somone could locate a list of Ian Fleming's awards? For literary Bond, I think that would be the best guide.

Literary Bond of course has the CMG, but it is also mentioned that his service resulted in "two rows of lettuce". I could not locate the exact quote, but believe it is in OHMSS, during the passage in which Bond relects on the "Twin Snakes Club".

Just because, here is a photo of Bond's CMG

MEDAL2.jpg

Thx, and BTW, wow...love the medal....

can you explain a little more about it....

where is it?...

cheers
    ke02eww,

You asked.....

Decades ago I was quite a collector of US decorations and campaign medals, but the British equivalents while fascinating are not real common in the US, and when they are available here very pricey.

Because of my Bondian interests. I had been wanting my own CMG for some years, but could never lay hands on one that was for sale. I had hoped to pick one up on a trip to the UK several years ago, and even went to Spinks in London - thought I had walked into a bank or something and walked out google-eyed and throughly confused. Did manage to get a good look at one in the Tower though.

Rather than attempt to recite what little I know of the history of the CMG, here is a link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_St_Michael_and_St_George

I managed to pick up the CMG illlustrated above on ..... where else.....Ebay. That was a few years back and prices are even higher now. I'll try and snap some new images and post them here shortly!
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    One thing is for certain, having to put up with the wit (or lack thereof) of Bondtoys, we all deserve a medal.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    yeah, he's back! :D -{

Bondtoys wrote:
    yeah, he's back! :D -{

I am preparing my lecture, just need to read the rest of the thread and collate a few pages of text together.
  • Gadget MeisterGadget Meister Bicester, OxonPosts: 1,972MI6 Agent
    Don't know how, I thought they were all on strike, but the postie dropped my ribbons through the post box this morning, and they look great.......

However, will hold off on the photos as I am now waiting for the promised missive from ASP9mm, hopefully he won't blow me out of the water. :)

GM -{
    I'll leave all of the blowing to Bondtoys. I am told he excells :o