Bond as Sir Hilary Bray (OHMSS)

Does anyone else find it a little farfetched that Bond wearing a hat, a coat and glasses would be a convincing enough disguise for Blofeld to fall for? What is the explanation? Surely Bond would never have met face to face with Blofeld if there was any risk in him being identified, and Blofeld would have to be quite foolish not to recognise his face beneath his new persona. That is, unless, Blofeld knew it was Bond the moment he met him and was just feigning ignorance.

Comments

• LiamLiam Now where was I? Let me see...Posts: 50MI6 Agent
    I think as 'added cover' Bond was also dubbed until his capture by Blofeld's men with the voice of the 'real' Hilary Bray (George Baker). But you are right, cloths, glasses, a hat and an assumed voice are surely not sufficient cover. But actually this didn't really bother me much, I always just assumed Bond and Blofeld meet for the first time in the film-OHMSS and film-YOLT happens somehow after this.
    I'm not young enough to know everything.
    Wilde
  • ___0_0_7______0_0_7___ Posts: 5MI6 Agent
    Liam wrote:
    I always just assumed Bond and Blofeld meet for the first time in the film-OHMSS and film-YOLT happens somehow after this.

I don't think this can be right because Blofeld introduces himself to Bond in YOLT, OHMSS begins with Bond having spent 2 years trying to track him down, and DAF begins with Bond seeking Blofeld to avenge the death of Tracy (whereas Bond wasn't particularly abhorred by Blofeld in YOLT). I think they must have been chronological (YOLT>OHMSS>DAF)
  • LiamLiam Now where was I? Let me see...Posts: 50MI6 Agent
    I think they must have been chronological (YOLT>OHMSS>DAF)

Well, they are chronological YOLT to OHMSS to DAF. I just don't care very much and ignore the discrepancies. ;)
    I'm not young enough to know everything.
    Wilde
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,220Chief of Staff
    It's a continuity error caused by the fims being a different order from the novels. OHMSS was meant to be filmed after TB (there's a story that this is why the then traditional "The End Of "Thunderball" James Bond will return "On Her Majesty's Secret Service"" was faded at the end of TB after its early showings) but there was a weather problem ie not enough snow at the right location. Since snow was clearly essential for OHMSS, the decision was made to film YOLT first.

In the novels 007 first meets Blofeld at Piz Gloria while Bond is pretending to be Sir Hilary and Blofeld attempting to be a count. They meet again in YOLT. The films, of course, have them meeting for the first time in YOLT and then (?) pretending not to recognise each other in OHMSS - perhaps because

(a) Blofeld has had plastic surgery (this is part of the book plot) - and there was a plan (quickly dropped) to have Bond doing the same partly to explain the change of actor

(b) Blofeld is so obsessed by his thirst for a title and respectability that he doesn't look too closely at the College of Arms representative, being more interested in what he can get out of him - and the weak disguise of glasses and pipe, mild-mannered demeanour, altered voice, etc were enough to fool him (though 007 isn't wearing his glasses when he meets Blofeld!)

(c) Bond has borrowed Clark Kent's glasses

(d) The film might have used some other method to gloss over the inconsistency but director Peter Hunt insisted on keeping it close to the novel even though YOLT hadn't been
  • hegottheboothegottheboot USAPosts: 327MI6 Agent
    Exactly. I just try to ignore this continuity when I watch OHMSS.
  • Absolutely_CartAbsolutely_Cart NJ/NYC, United StatesPosts: 1,740MI6 Agent
    Sir Hilary Bray has to be my favorite Bond disguise ever.

He's every bit as sexy as the Bond character, but maybe that's because he's in a prison full of looney women. But he has a certain charm, humor and sophistication about him. And Lazenby pulls the look off quite well.
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    It's interesting in that Blofeld identifies Bond in YOLT not by his appearance but by the fact that he carries a Walther PPK. The implication is he doesn't necessarily know what Bond looks like until the end of the film and then only meets him briefly. The argument could be made not that he knows Bond by sight but by deduction -- who else but Bond would be infiltrating his lair? And in the confusion, sees Bond but does not commit his face to memory, assuming he will be exterminated in the explosion.

If we carry this line of thinking over to OHMSS, perhaps Blofeld does, indeed, fall for the disguise.

But, there is another possibility, if an even more unlikely one. Let's assume Blofeld knows it's Bond right from the beginning in OHMSS. What he doesn't know is Bond's game. So he plays along with it. Blofeld doesn't actually make a move until after Shaun Campbell is caught and presumably tells him everything about the mission. Only after does Blofeld reveal that he knows Bond isn't Bray, and at this point he let's Bond know that his efforts have been for not because the authorities are going to give in to his extortion because they have no choice.

If this is the case, then the mistake is on Bond's part in thinking he might be able to fool Blofeld. But given that he is essentially operating on his own to begin with and determined to get Blofeld, one could argue that to Bond, it was a risky but reasonable gambit on his part. That it backfires feeds right into the plot of the movie and isn't the first error that Bond makes, similarly to Bond in CR.
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Talking of Disguises, Bond was originally supposed to have Plastic Surgery at the beginning of OHMSS.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • Absolutely_CartAbsolutely_Cart NJ/NYC, United StatesPosts: 1,740MI6 Agent
    What if James Bond is not an actual person but rather a code-name, an identity, for a different cast of agents in the 007 position.
    Talking of Disguises, Bond was originally supposed to have Plastic Surgery at the beginning of OHMSS.

But that would make him no better than Blofeld... lol
  • thegreatgallingthegreatgalling Posts: 180MI6 Agent
    What if James Bond is not an actual person but rather a code-name, an identity, for a different cast of agents in the 007 position.

I personally never liked that idea and it was fluffed when Roger Moore visited Theresa's grave and Felix discussing Bond's marriage in License to Kill. I tend to be grateful it was. I do like the continuity.

About the YOLT and OHMSS controversy, the way I can justify it is that Blofeld saw Bond once, two years before OHMSS. (In Universe) It was quite cavalier of Bond but he took the chance that Blofeld wouldn't instantly remember him after two whole years and in this context. If you met someone one time, and two years passed, and you see the person again, are you always going to remember? Or maybe you'd suspect it but also rationalize to yourself you could be wrong?
  • 002002 New ZealandPosts: 558MI6 Agent

I personally never liked that idea and it was fluffed when Roger Moore visited Theresa's grave and Felix discussing Bond's marriage in License to Kill. I tend to be grateful it was. I do like the continuity.

About the YOLT and OHMSS controversy, the way I can justify it is that Blofeld saw Bond once, two years before OHMSS. (In Universe) It was quite cavalier of Bond but he took the chance that Blofeld wouldn't instantly remember him after two whole years and in this context. If you met someone one time, and two years passed, and you see the person again, are you always going to remember? Or maybe you'd suspect it but also rationalize to yourself you could be wrong?

Yes, I think that this is the best explanation yet.
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent

Been watching CR'67? :))

I tend to rationalise it that Blofeld wouldn't know until after he has met Bond for the first time, after which he knows it's Bond but is waiting to see what Bond will do. After all, he knows Bond is incommunicado, and can hardly leave his room which in any event has been bugged, so he poses a containable threat. But he does know who Bond is: "It takes more than a few props to turn 007 into a Herald".
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
    Don't get me started on how ridiculous the Codename Theory is :#
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    No more ridiculous than starting a war for ratings ! ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    :)) :))