My Thunderball Original Release One Sheet

Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
Because of the recent controversy concerning a Bond poster for sale here, I thought I'd post pictures of another original one sheet from my Bond poster collection. This time up its probably my favorite Bond poster of them all, Thunderball. The three panel poster (Look Up!, Look Down!, Look Out!) shows Bond in explosive action in two panels and surrounded by pulchritude in the last one This three panel idea was reapeted for the movie that followed, YOLT. However on a much bigger scale. YOLT featured not just three panels, but three separate regular one sheets (two advance), two with Bond in explosive action and one with Bond surounded by pulchritude. To me, the Thunderball one sheet is the one that had it all. Enjoy.

Edit: This poster has two versions, one with Bond in Rocket Belt coming out of the poster like shown here. The other version has the top of the Rocket Belt cut off and contained within the green border.

ThunderballOneSheet001.jpg

CopyofThunderballOneSheet002.jpg

ThunderballOneSheet004.jpg

ThunderballOneSheet006.jpg

ThunderballOneSheet008.jpg

ThunderballOneSheet010.jpg

ThunderballOneSheet009.jpg

ThunderballOneSheet012.jpg

DG
So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
image_zps6a725e59.jpg
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.

Comments

• texas007texas007 Houston, Texas 77041Posts: 2,350MI6 Agent
    very nice - I love Robert McGinnnis's works
    -{
  • 00-Agent00-Agent CaliforniaPosts: 453MI6 Agent
    Very nice poster. Thanks for sharing and thank you for the vocabulary lesson. :D
    "A blunt instrument wielded by a Government department. Hard, ruthless, sardonic, fatalistic. He likes gambling, golf, fast motor cars. All his movements are relaxed and economical". Ian Fleming
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    Mcginnis is the man!! And this poster is the bomb! Thanks for sharing.
  • ppw3o6rppw3o6r Great BritainPosts: 2,271MI6 Agent
    Great poster. As a fellow original Bond poster collector here is a word of warning. I used to keep my folded one sheets flat like yourself but in the original NSS brown paper packets which they were sent to the movie theatres in along with a set of lobby cards. Some years ago I decided to get the Goldfinger & Thundeball linen backed and de-acified. The linen backer told me that because they had always been folded, unused and kept flat that the folds had perished. You wouldn't notice this with yours unless you tried to frame them without backing them first.
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    edited August 2010
    ppw3o6r wrote:
    Great poster. As a fellow original Bond poster collector here is a word of warning. I used to keep my folded one sheets flat like yourself but in the original NSS brown paper packets which they were sent to the movie theatres in along with a set of lobby cards. Some years ago I decided to get the Goldfinger & Thundeball linen backed and de-acified. The linen backer told me that because they had always been folded, unused and kept flat that the folds had perished. You wouldn't notice this with yours unless you tried to frame them without backing them first.

Good looking out. The dealer that I bought a good deal of my collection from stored these in absolutely deplorable conditions. In file folders no less. I don't want to think about that acidic environment they were stored in for years. When I started collecting posters (I also collect U.S. Merchant Marine recruiting posters), I also started edcucating myself on archival preservation of ephemera. One booklet that I use was published by the Museum Of Art in Boston and concerns caring for "works of art on paper". The folds on my folded one sheet collection are at this time in good shape, and would likely stand up to framing. I have one that is not so good, and thats the OHMSS one sheet where Lazenby's face is blanked out. Because it's a black poster the folds are quite noticeable. The folds are also quite weak. This poster will most likely be the subject of a future restoration which will include linen (canvas) mounting and the use of acid free color pencils to lessen the appearance of the folds.

It's absolutely amazing how posters can be restored by an expert. I've seen posters with whole sections missing due to bugs that eat paper restored to former glory. Glad there are experts out there. Framing the one sheets is a whole other process. If you want to do it right it must be done archivally (acid free) and with UV plexiglass. Very expensive, and since I have at least one one sheet from every Bond movie ever made, you're talking serious money.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
  • SilentSpySilentSpy Private Exotic AreaPosts: 765MI6 Agent
    I had to join up after seeing this thread. I've been holding off on collecting original Bond posters for a while now. I had concerns about originality and framing. Thunderball is easily my favorite of the Connery Bond posters. I love McGinnis' work. I have a few books with his artwork. Anyway, I own a Thunderball reprint but an original is on my wanted list. I saw some originals next to reprints before. I don't know if the reprints were just bad but the originals were far sharper and more colorful.

ppw3o6r - What do you mean the fold lines "perished?" I have a few original folded posters but I store them completely opened and flat. I don't like the fold lines and keeping them folded (I thought) makes the lines stronger (more visible).

Donald Grant - Thanks for the info about the rocket pack and border, I didn't know about that. Is there anything else to look for on originals? Also, I look forward to seeing how you frame these. I've framed all my posters the wrong way. Good thing they were reprints...From dry and wet mounts to backing with standard cardboard. I have been researching framing (and storing) posters. It seems like making sure all materials are acid free and using UV plexi instead of glass is the route to go. However, is there a way to prevent the poster from moving around inside the frame since they are so big? Or is the linen backing the way to go? I'm kind of hesitant to putting anything on the poster even if it is removable and acid free. But I've noticed a lot of older posters have linen backings. Thanks.
    "Better late than never."
    edited August 2010
    SilentSpy wrote:
    I had to join up after seeing this thread. I've been holding off on collecting original Bond posters for a while now. I had concerns about originality and framing. Thunderball is easily my favorite of the Connery Bond posters. I love McGinnis' work. I have a few books with his artwork. Anyway, I own a Thunderball reprint but an original is on my wanted list. I saw some originals next to reprints before. I don't know if the reprints were just bad but the originals were far sharper and more colorful.

ppw3o6r - What do you mean the fold lines "perished?" I have a few original folded posters but I store them completely opened and flat. I don't like the fold lines and keeping them folded (I thought) makes the lines stronger (more visible).

Donald Grant - Thanks for the info about the rocket pack and border, I didn't know about that. Is there anything else to look for on originals? Also, I look forward to seeing how you frame these. I've framed all my posters the wrong way. Good thing they were reprints...From dry and wet mounts to backing with standard cardboard. I have been researching framing (and storing) posters. It seems like making sure all materials are acid free and using UV plexi instead of glass is the route to go. However, is there a way to prevent the poster from moving around inside the frame since they are so big? Or is the linen backing the way to go? I'm kind of hesitant to putting anything on the poster even if it is removable and acid free. But I've noticed a lot of older posters have linen backings. Thanks.

What I think ppw3o6r means is that over time the poster became 8 separate squares. The creases had become so weak that the poster separated at the fold lines. It probably happened because of the acidic environment that the poster lived in for so long. This can also happen from continuous folding and ufolding the poster over time.

Storing posters flat is certainly a good way to go, but there is a question of space and a question of keeping each poster from coming in direct contact with the next one (acid). Some movie poster dealers and a lot of non-movie poster dealers store flat, but typically the poster has already been mounted on linen (canvas). If the poster has not been mounted on linen, it is often times stored folded and also shipped that way to a buyer. If the poster is linen mounted the poster is shipped rolled in a tube.

Linen backing is used as a way to stabalize the poster and as a base for restoration if the poster has missing pieces. It also mitigates the appearance of folds. All one sheets prior to 1983 were folded and does not decrease the value of the poster. One of my one sheets is linen backed but it's not a Bond poster. It's Humphrey Bogart's Action In The North Atlantic about the U.S. Merchant Marine in World War II. When I purchased it, it was already linen backed, probably because of the age of the poster and the folds.

Linen backing has become somewhat en vogue these days. I won't bore you with the different schools of thought on this. For me, I'd rather see the stamp on the back of the one sheet when I purchase them. With linen backing you can't see it. I'll worry about whether or not to linen back when they are framed.

Cardboard backing is probably the worst thing you can do to a poster, even a reprint or commercial poster. Over time the acid will leach into the poster and cause it to turn brown.

DG

Edit: If you want to be sure of buying an original, buy from a dealer. Fleabay can be dicey if you are not a seasoned buyer. If you must buy FleaBay, buy from one of the reputable dealers that sell there.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • ppw3o6rppw3o6r Great BritainPosts: 2,271MI6 Agent
    Thanks DG. That is pretty much it. In the case of the Goldfinger it had never been unfolded and as you know these were machine folded at National Screen Services. My particular example was in the original brown paper packet which has the same NSS stamp which appears on the rear of the poster. The problem was that for effectively 40 years it had been folded, when laid partially flat this weakened the fold lines making backing necessary to preserve it as the weak points on each cross fold could effectively become tears, essentially having the same end result as a poster which had been unfolded many times, loss of colour pigment (white lines) before the paper starts to perish. It was quite an eye opener.
  • Mister GreeneMister Greene Posts: 224MI6 Agent
    Awesome, and too top it off TB is my favorite 007 movie -{
  • icsics Posts: 1,413MI6 Agent
  • SilentSpySilentSpy Private Exotic AreaPosts: 765MI6 Agent
    SilentSpy wrote:

What I think ppw3o6r means is that over time the poster became 8 separate squares. The creases had become so weak that the poster separated at the fold lines. It probably happened because of the acidic environment that the poster lived in for so long. This can also happen from continuous folding and ufolding the poster over time.

Storing posters flat is certainly a good way to go, but there is a question of space and a question of keeping each poster from coming in direct contact with the next one (acid). Some movie poster dealers and a lot of non-movie poster dealers store flat, but typically the poster has already been mounted on linen (canvas). If the poster has not been mounted on linen, it is often times stored folded and also shipped that way to a buyer. If the poster is linen mounted the poster is shipped rolled in a tube.

Linen backing is used as a way to stabalize the poster and as a base for restoration if the poster has missing pieces. It also mitigates the appearance of folds. All one sheets prior to 1983 were folded and does not decrease the value of the poster. One of my one sheets is linen backed but it's not a Bond poster. It's Humphrey Bogart's Action In The North Atlantic about the U.S. Merchant Marine in World War II. When I purchased it, it was already linen backed, probably because of the age of the poster and the folds.

Linen backing has become somewhat en vogue these days. I won't bore you with the different schools of thought on this. For me, I'd rather see the stamp on the back of the one sheet when I purchase them. With linen backing you can't see it. I'll worry about whether or not to linen back when they are framed.

Cardboard backing is probably the worst thing you can do to a poster, even a reprint or commercial poster. Over time the acid will leach into the poster and cause it to turn brown.

DG

Edit: If you want to be sure of buying an original, buy from a dealer. Fleabay can be dicey if you are not a seasoned buyer. If you must buy FleaBay, buy from one of the reputable dealers that sell there.

Ok. Thanks for the info. The folding thing is a problem. Kind of like when you fold a piece of paper multiple times it becomes easier to tear. That's why I store the few folded posters I own flat and completely opened. I need to look into the linen backing more as that seems to be a good way to stabilize the poster.

I thought whatever chemical framers used in the dry/wet mount neutralized the acid in the normal cardboard. Whatever the case, I never assumed that people that were in the business of framing could actually damage artwork...

My setup is similar to yours. I have a few acid free boxes. I started picking them up with the Marshall Bond prints. I separate the prints with acid free paper or have the artwork stored in mylar sheets.

For posters, I like seeing before buying. Especially at the price range of the vintage Bond posters. So the bay is out unless a seller has an actual store as well. Thanks for the help.
    "Better late than never."
    edited August 2010
    SilentSpy wrote:
    Ok. Thanks for the info. The folding thing is a problem. Kind of like when you fold a piece of paper multiple times it becomes easier to tear. That's why I store the few folded posters I own flat and completely opened. I need to look into the linen backing more as that seems to be a good way to stabilize the poster.

I thought whatever chemical framers used in the dry/wet mount neutralized the acid in the normal cardboard. Whatever the case, I never assumed that people that were in the business of framing could actually damage artwork...

Sounds like you've got it figured out. Personally, I don't constantly unfold my posters to look at them, so it's not a problem. Also, removing them from an acidic environment keeps them from becoming brittle. Movie posters were made to help sell movies, so they were considered disposable items. They were not made from acid free paper and they were not packaged in acid free paper. Acid = brown and brittle. Just like those old Bond Signets that I love so much.

As for framing, unless you specify "archival" or "acid free", your poster will not be framed that way. For most framers, Archival + UV Plexiglass = $$. Unless you ask, you don't get. Yes they can damage artwork. If you've ever had something matted and framed like a diploma, and then had it re-matted and framed, and noticed a brown ghost mark from the mat, that happens because the mat was not acid free. The acid from the mat leached into the diploma or print.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • SimesSimes WindsorPosts: 80MI6 Agent
    Edit: This poster has two versions, one with Bond in Rocket Belt coming out of the poster like shown here. The other version has the top of the Rocket Belt cut off and contained within the green border.

DG
    Also, the girl's foot far right protudes and is visible in the example where the Rocket Belt is contained.

http://www.learnaboutmovieposters.com/posters/db/poster.asp?pid=2429
    Simes wrote:

DG
    Also, the girl's foot far right protudes and is visible in the example where the Rocket Belt is contained.

http://www.learnaboutmovieposters.com/posters/db/poster.asp?pid=2429

Which is precisely why I would never refer to myself as an expert. I never noticed that before. You learn something new everyday. What sharp little eyes you've got...

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg