Anthony Burgess' The Spy Who Loved Me

http://thewesternworld.blogspot.com/2010/09/anthony-burgess-spy-who-loved-me.html

Fellow Bond fan "Ryan H." recently published the details of a The Spy Who Loved Me script written by Anthony Burgess, acclaimed author of A Clockwork Orange. This never had a chance of being made in 1977 because of it's political nature and I doubt EON would still entertain the notion of such a script in 2010. Still, it's a great read.

Comments

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,274MI6 Agent
    Great find, Ricardo! That is really something!

But my, you can imagine the producer's eyebrow raising higher and higher as he read through that. 008 Bond's twin brother indeed! The Queen cavorting nude for the TV cameras to save the Sydney Opera House! Mind you, if Chaos had asked the Australian Premier to do that, they'd most probably get a result!
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,274MI6 Agent
    Actually, in this month's Empire magazine George Lucas (I think) talks about contributing with Burgess on The Spy script. Actually, it may have been Landis. He talks about the problems of Saltzman playing off against Broccoli, if one found out the other approved an idea he'd naysay it. The finale was about blowing up the Pope!
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Ricardo C.Ricardo C. Posts: 916MI6 Agent
    Actually, in this month's Empire magazine George Lucas (I think) talks about contributing with Burgess on The Spy script. Actually, it may have been Landis. He talks about the problems of Saltzman playing off against Broccoli, if one found out the other approved an idea he'd naysay it. The finale was about blowing up the Pope!

John Landis would have probably written a pretty good Roger Moore Bond film. I think he could still write a good Bond film, and direct one. He has shown his versatilty in the both genres of comedy and horror so why not a thriller ?
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,689MI6 Agent
    edited July 2021
    Those interested can now read my thoughts on the involvement of Anthony Burgess in the TSWLM script at The Bondologist Blog here:

http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/anthony-burgess-on-spy-who-loved-me.html
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).