Goldeneye Russian armoured train

Anyone know what this train actually was or is? Is it still around somewhere? And has there ever been a model of it, always wanted it with my goldeneye setup!..

Comments

• minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    yeah there was a model, it hit a model tank in a model tunnel and it was all modellately distwoid!

never seen one available commercialy cj (parp) but it wouldnt be hard to scratch build.
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • CJ007GoldeneyeCJ007Goldeneye LondonPosts: 587MI6 Agent
    I was kinda hoping the james bond car collection might do it!
  • cris_19010689cris_19010689 Posts: 138MI6 Agent
    A friend of mine used to work on the nene valley railway (where they filmed it and the octopussy sequences) and from what i remember, they used models mixed with real size mock ups. Apparently they bolted this "snowplough" type thing onto the front of your average sprinter train, then altered the exterior of it to make it look "more mean".

it might pay you to get in touch with NVR, as they may have more info
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    I asked my Father about this one, he is not a Bond fan, but has an encyclopedic knowledge of railways and locomotive systems from around the world.

From memory, he believes the engine depicted may have been a mocked up, or borrowed type 20 diesel? The chances are such an engine was hired, then returned to its owners by Eon after filming was completed. He noted even a decommissioned engine could have worked if a second, operable engine was pushing the train behind the carriages.

My Dad stressed that all this is speculative. - Asking the Type 20 Society might provide some answers? - I did a little search online, which confirms his theory...

On Wiki -

"In the 1995 James Bond film Goldeneye, British Rail Class 20 No. D8188 was used as the locomotive of an escape train, with the addition of armour plating to give the impression of a Russian armoured locomotive. In addition, the distinctive engine noise was overdubbed with the sounds of an EMD 16-567.[citation needed]"

The I found this: (Scroll down for the Goldeneye reference)

- http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?autocom=custom&page=Bachmann-Class-20

Which finally, led to this!

http://www.preserved-diesels.co.uk/engines/20188_index.htm

So, to answer your question, to get a model of the Goldeneye train, you may have to replicate the mock elements on a type 20 model in the correct scale.
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • MANDY1MANDY1 TISPosts: 2,608MI6 Agent
    Nice research there Andy -{
    Knowing who to trust is Everything in this business.

TIS - "The moment you think you got it figured - you're wrong"

Formerly known as Teppo
  • darththorpedarththorpe Croydon, UKPosts: 5MI6 Agent
    i think your going to have to do some converting on model trains dude, as i have never seen a model of this nor in a kit, there are Russian armoured trains, but nothing like the goldeneye one :(
  • icsics Posts: 1,413MI6 Agent
    I asked my Father about this one, he is not a Bond fan, but has an encyclopedic knowledge of railways and locomotive systems from around the world.

From memory, he believes the engine depicted may have been a mocked up, or borrowed type 20 diesel? The chances are such an engine was hired, then returned to its owners by Eon after filming was completed. He noted even a decommissioned engine could have worked if a second, operable engine was pushing the train behind the carriages.

My Dad stressed that all this is speculative. - Asking the Type 20 Society might provide some answers? - I did a little search online, which confirms his theory...

On Wiki -

"In the 1995 James Bond film Goldeneye, British Rail Class 20 No. D8188 was used as the locomotive of an escape train, with the addition of armour plating to give the impression of a Russian armoured locomotive. In addition, the distinctive engine noise was overdubbed with the sounds of an EMD 16-567.[citation needed]"

The I found this: (Scroll down for the Goldeneye reference)

- http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?autocom=custom&page=Bachmann-Class-20

Which finally, led to this!

http://www.preserved-diesels.co.uk/engines/20188_index.htm

So, to answer your question, to get a model of the Goldeneye train, you may have to replicate the mock elements on a type 20 model in the correct scale.

Nice research… thanks for posting

-{
  • CJ007GoldeneyeCJ007Goldeneye LondonPosts: 587MI6 Agent
    Thanks all your advice chaps, much appreciated. Cheers andy for all that info!
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    edited December 2010
    Thanks all your advice chaps, much appreciated. Cheers andy for all that info!

Cheers fellas! CJ007 - Your welcome, - I'll pass your Thanks on to my Dad too, he set me off on the right track. :007)
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • texas007texas007 Houston, Texas 77041Posts: 2,347MI6 Agent
    very nice VDO
  • NeverSayDieNeverSayDie Posts: 495MI6 Agent
    That was awesome!!!!!!
    You could have you used the tank from the Bond car collection although I'm not sure it's the correct scale compared to the train.
    Great video!
  • Bond Collectors' WeekendsBond Collectors' Weekends Gainesville, Florida USAPosts: 1,883MI6 Agent
    Is the shapeways.com "black detail" model the same as the lovely lead car in the Youtube video? Thanks.
    Seven (007) James Bond Tours! Mission: Mexico!
  • VoituerVoituer Posts: 483MI6 Agent
    That was awesome!!!!!!
    You could have you used the tank from the Bond car collection although I'm not sure it's the correct scale compared to the train.
    Great video!

I'm guessing EON are kicking themselves they did not think to use a caravan :))
  • RoxyguyRoxyguy Posts: 3MI6 Agent
    Hi Guys,

The model in the video is the standard white flexible material from shapeways - about half the cost of the black. I painted it myself, it could probably dow with some weathering to look more authentic. . I a big model railway buff but always loved the train in goldeneye. Surprised Hornby didn't think of this before I did. The fact they've done harry potter and toy story sets, I was shocked they didn't do a Bond set for the 50th Anniversary - so this was my little tribute. . glad ye like it.
  • Gadget MeisterGadget Meister Bicester, OxonPosts: 1,972MI6 Agent
    00 model railway guage, Hornby etc equates to 1/76 scale. So that's the JBCC at 1/43 way too big and even the T55 at 1/50 is too big. However you can get a 1/72 Robinson 22 from Pavla which you would just about get away with, you would obviously need to modify a carriage with a sliding roof, although watching it again I think that carriage maybe a foreground miniature with a real R22 in the background. I could be wrong but it's so hard to tell FMs from the real thing and EON, or more correctly Derek Meddings, was a master at it.

For anyone wanting to tackle this with the weathering the actual large scale model is on display at Beualieu, wish I'd taken more photos of it now.