Topic: The Living Daylights-Best Ever Bond Theme Song?

i think it is the best theme song, and A-Ha's best song

Re: The Living Daylights-Best Ever Bond Theme Song?

I wouldn't call it the best theme song, but it is one of my favorites. It has a sort of melancholy moodiness that I like, and it really matched Dalton's version of Bond.

—Le Samourai

A Gent in Training.... A blog about my continuing efforts to be improve myself, be a better person, and lead a good life. It incorporates such far flung topics as fitness, self defense, music, style, food and drink, and personal philosophy.
http://www.agentintraining.com/

It was never One of my Favorites, But better than "another way to die ". But it does have a great video.

1, OHMSS.  2,CR.   3, LTK.  4, FRWL.  5, Skyfall.

Score? Maybe.
Themesong? Nahhhhhhh

1 - Lald, 2 - Avtak, 3 - Op, 4 - Fyeo, 5 - Sf, 6 - Ltk, 7 - Dn, 8 - Ge, 9 - Ohmss, 10 - Tswlm, 11 - Yolt, 12 - Daf, 13 - Tld, 14 - Tmwtgg, 15 - Frwl, 16 - Gf, 17 - Twine, 18 - Tnd, 19 - Cr, 20 - Qos, 21 - Tb, 22 - Mr, 23 - Dad

I like it very much, but then again, there are only a handful of Bond themes that I don't particularly like. A great theme song should stand on its own whether the film is any good or not. Bond films have had a lot of songs that fit that description. You just can't beat the dramatic, catchy, big-band, classic Connery Bond themes...the whole lot. 'Live & Let Die", 'The Living Daylights' and 'A View to a Kill' also fit that description. 'Moonraker' and 'The Man With the Golden Gun' harken back to the first films and fit in well. The only ones I am not fussy on are QoS, DAD, TWINE, and TND.

I prefer a-ha's version they did for their later album release, it's more raw but you can hear the vocals better, esp on the chorus. There was a dispute between the group and Barry over the arrangement for the actual film, Barry would insist on putting Bond-style brass into a song (he did it with AVTAK) and I don't think it was really necessary or desirable.

Bond: Mr. Mathis, there's something that's been worrying me...
Mathis: Yes?
Bond: Well, you're a French police inspector, yet you speak with an Italian accent.
Mathis: Mamma mia, it worries me, too.

yep, the studio version is alot better than the film version

I found this today, It's a comparison of Arnold's v's Barry's Music using the Opera scene from QOS. I think it's an interesting experiment, Doesn't prove anything except that Both can/could do great film music. It's probably from years of watching the Bonds But I do give the extra couple of points to Barry's score. Although I think Arnold's score to QOS is the Best he's done , so Far.  ajb007/martini
http://youtu.be/Tsv_hRnaKfU

1, OHMSS.  2,CR.   3, LTK.  4, FRWL.  5, Skyfall.

I had a problem with Barry's music for the more serious movies, I felt he could get a bit heavy. That includes OHMSS, but I'm in a minority on this I know.

Bond: Well, you're a French police inspector, yet you speak with an Italian accent.

Years ago I remember reading a story about  A-ha's participation in a Bond film, and the group members were agitated that John Barry received partial credit for the song. According to them, his imput in it was nil.

UltimateTruth wrote:

Years ago I remember reading a story about  A-ha's participation in a Bond film, and the group members were agitated that John Barry received partial credit for the song. According to them, his imput in it was nil.

John Barry told a similar-ish story...he said he just couldn't work with them as they refused to listen to anything he had to say...

Aevo rarissima nostro simplicitas
The higher the monkey climbs the more you can see its arse

YNWA: Justice For The 96

To be fair, I'd be in a-ha's camp over that. I mean, Sun Always Shines is a great song, very Bondian imo. Why should Barry get a credit for that Bondian fanfare, which makes it seem a bit naff anyway I think.

Napoleon Plural wrote:

To be fair, I'd be in a-ha's camp over that. I mean, Sun Always Shines is a great song, very Bondian imo. Why should Barry get a credit for that Bondian fanfare, which makes it seem a bit naff anyway I think.

Probably because it would be in his contract ajb007/wink ajb007/lol

Plus he has to write the rest of the score and try and incorporate the theme tune in there somewhere... ajb007/martini

A-HA were a strange choice even if they were big around 1987, Stay on these roads and Take On Me were better songs from the Norway group really

The lyrics make no sense whatsoever, they should of got Whitney Houston or something

last appearance of Geoffrey Keen as The Minister Frederick Gray ajb007/frown

should of been Roberts Browns too, he was an awful M

Best? Worst would be closer.

i don't think it's the best but it's certainly good.

I've always liked it, but A view to a Kill was better.

Duncan

Best theme song? I think that honour belongs to Goldfinger.

"In this pizness is much risico."

I`ve allways thought it was agreat Bond theme song -but not one of the classics. Morten Harket has a great  voice, one if the best in pop IMO.    A-ha often  added something dark and melancoly into what would have been standard pop music in other hands, and this matched Dalton perfectly. Only Goldeneye and perhaps The World is Not Enough has been better after TLD.

I like the a-ha studio version from TLD much better, too. I like the song, but the best one in my opinion is "You know my name".

President of the 'Tim Dalton Misty-Eyed Fan Club'.
------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond (and Sir Miles - stop playing with my signature) !-------
http://img5.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads/bildschirmfoto1trp67mdvu.jpg

Bondtoys wrote:

I like the a-ha studio version from TLD much better, too. I like the song,

See Bondtoys....Dalton is creeping up on you...first a song...then a film..then...HALLELUJAH BROTHER ajb007/biggrin

ajb007/rolleyes have you been drinking, Sir Miles? ajb007/rolleyes

Yes, Dalton is creeping me, but no way up, dear friend. And I find it fortunate, that he did not have anything to do with the song - he would have messed it up as well, if he did ajb007/biggrin

------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond (and Sir Miles - stop playing with my signature) !-------

Bondtoys wrote:

ajb007/rolleyes have you been drinking, Sir Miles? ajb007/rolleyes

Yes, Dalton is creeping me, but no way up, dear friend. And I find it fortunate, that he did not have anything to do with the song - he would have messed it up as well, if he did ajb007/biggrin

Grow up Markus…ahhhh just joking we all know your feeling for Dalton…  ajb007/martini

ajb007/biggrin I know, Ian.....

hope, that I'll never grow up by the way  ajb007/wink

Bondtoys wrote:

ajb007/biggrin I know, Ian.....

hope, that I'll never grow up by the way  ajb007/wink

Never leave the boy in the man Markus… look at our summer party photos and you can se what happens if you still are a boy…….

Anyway that is the wonderful thing about Bond… Dalton that I LOVE and think is one of the best you simply hate….