OTB gold-plated 007 cars

I'm not sure if this is of interest to the forum or has been mentioned before but back in the early 2000's my company (Out of the Blue) produced a number of very limited 24 carat gold-plated versions of Corgi 007 die-cast models. I'm not here to try and sell any of these models as each edition only consisted of 7 models worldwide and sold out as they were made.

I won't go on anymore but I will leave you with a few images and some further info:

This 24 carat gold-plated example of the famous AM DB5 was the first model produced by OTB. One of the 7 produced sold at auction for in the region of £1,600.

DB5_box_ok.jpg

Here is the 24 carat gold-plated OTB version of Goldfinger's Rolls Royce. Again only 7 were produced worldwide and it was also presented in an aluminium case a per the DB5 above.

Rolls_front.jpg

Finally, here is the 24 carat gold-plated OTB version of the Aston Martin Vanquish. Again only 7 were produced worldwide and it was also presented in an aluminium case a per the DB5 above.

Vanquish_gold.jpg

Comments

• minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    20 quid case, 25 quid of plating, a jim for the model, holly enterprise, VAT man! thats not a bad return is it?

now wheres that db5 gone.....
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • CollectablesCollectables Posts: 6MI6 Agent
    minigeff wrote:
    20 quid case, 25 quid of plating, a jim for the model, holly enterprise, VAT man! thats not a bad return is it?

Lol - if only my company was the recipient of the above mentioned auction result. I guess my error in the original post was that I said that all the models sold out as they were made. All the models were made as promotional gifts and as such OTB (Collectables Magazine) never made any money on these editions. The value that I quoted was set by the secondary marketplace. Sorry for the confusion.
  • Rainier WolfcastleRainier Wolfcastle Posts: 484MI6 Agent
    Hi Collectables, I thought you were talking about one that ended yesterday evening on Ebay. But this one "only" fetched £600:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260732155420

However, this was no. 12 of 16 produced ... Yes, I have now noticed that one is a Director's Cut and the one on Ebay (which I think would then be older) is similar to the 30th anniversary car from 1993.

I have seen quite a few of the different Collectables models and twin-sets. Although I do not (yet) collect these editions, I am very interested. Could you provide a complete list of what has been produced for Collectables magazine, and when?
  • CollectablesCollectables Posts: 6MI6 Agent
    Hi Rainer and thank you for posting the link to the eBay auction. Yes that is one of the special edition gold-plated models that my magazine/company produced. As you correctly pointed out it is one of the 16 edition and of a different DB5 to the one I showed above. We did produce a number of the gold-plated models as promotional items. I do have a list of all the models done at my office and I will retrieve the information and post it here in due course. I will restrict the listing to just the gold-plated models as we also produced silver-plated and Collectables magazine branded Corgi 007 models also along with a special livery Collect '99 (Wembley, London collectables show in 1999) Corgi 007 AM DB5 model.

Regards

Kevin
  • CAMMYCAMMY Fife,ScotlandPosts: 53MI6 Agent
    Hi Rainer and thank you for posting the link to the eBay auction. Yes that is one of the special edition gold-plated models that my magazine/company produced. As you correctly pointed out it is one of the 16 edition and of a different DB5 to the one I showed above. We did produce a number of the gold-plated models as promotional items. I do have a list of all the models done at my office and I will retrieve the information and post it here in due course. I will restrict the listing to just the gold-plated models as we also produced silver-plated and Collectables magazine branded Corgi 007 models also along with a special livery Collect '99 (Wembley, London collectables show in 1999) Corgi 007 AM DB5 model.

Regards

Kevin
    hi,I have some of corgi (collectables magazine)models in my collection,so would it be to much trouble to get the complete list of all the models you did please
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    not sure, what is so special about these.

To me, they seem to be Corgi Director's cut models, which have been gold-pleated later.
    As I can see on the GF Rollie, even the plating has been poorly done. Like Minigeff said, I could get a bodywork plated here for at around EUR 50. Not to forget, that Corgi themselfs issued DB5 and Vanquishes in a gold-plated limited edition some time ago.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    edited February 2011
    minigeff wrote:

Lol - if only my company was the recipient of the above mentioned auction result. I guess my error in the original post was that I said that all the models sold out as they were made. All the models were made as promotional gifts and as such OTB (Collectables Magazine) never made any money on these editions. The value that I quoted was set by the secondary marketplace. Sorry for the confusion.

tell ya what then guys, i've got a pot noodle here, its been used but i've put it back into its original packaging, and its got a magical second hand value of $2000 (well its me and im famous innit), im gonna get it gold plated, all i gotta do now is work out how to polish it........ :o
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    :o gold plated pot noodles??

We must get them into the stores before christmas :))

• danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    Singe, Donk is good at polishing :v
    danjaq_0ff wrote:
    Singe, Donk is good at polishing :v

yeah but im on about chocolate sausage, not pink
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    best ask Markus then, he is the Sausage inspector.
    no, I am the sausage terminator :v

LOL I was told you can suck the dust off of a sausage :p
    i heard he can gargle them..... talented lad
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    Don't start him off doing party tricks, he will be showing off his teabagging skills, one lump or two :D
    be careful you two!

I am well known for posting tasteless pics here on the forum :D

:D I was talking vacuum cleaner and a cup of tea :v
    :v yes, of course!

• Tokyo MattTokyo Matt Posts: 99MI6 Agent
    hello.

New to this site. Bit of a Bond amateur. Looked at the trivia section, you guys seem to really know your stuff.
    Just bought a couple of Bond novels, going to start studying, I'll take you chaps on in a trivia battle when I feel ready, probably in about 6 or 7 years.

Sorry, right now I've nothing more interesting to offer other than another DB5 toy car question.....
    I've been looking at these things on selling web sites......
    When I were a lad, I had a corgi James Bond DB5, would have been around 1978. It had the usual gadgets, bullet proof rear shield, ejector seat and pop out front machine guns.
    But, there was a boy in my class at school, I even remember his name, Derek Watts, he already had a corgi DB5. His was better!
    His had the tyre shredder that extends from the real wheel, and, get this.....rotating number plates.

I've never seen such a model mentioned on the "used corgi DB5 for sale" sites.
    Has anyone else seen such a model (with the rotating number plates) ?
    I really liked the plates!
    I wonder if this was a cheap (and better) chinese copy.

I'd love to own one.
    I still have my original, without box but with baddie.

There's a trivia question for you. What was the name of the actor who was fired out of the ejector seat in Goldfinger. What a claim to fame. He should have been dining out on free lunches and making after dinner speeches for the rest of his life......
    I think I've just come up with a top question!
    I think I've just elevated my "Bond Amateur" status to "Bond Amateur with good trivia question" status.

Errr.......back to toy cars.......sorry, I mean scale replicas.
    Anyone else seen this toy?
    I've been wondering about this for years.

Anyone who can answer this and I'll buy you a pint......next time your in Tokyo.
    edited February 2011
    Tokyo Matt. Look out for a Corgi 270 and you'll have the rotating numberplates and the red tyreslashers.

corgi270.jpg
    Corgi-James-Bond-Aston-Martin-DB5-270-Detail2.jpg

Corgi re-released it as number 96655

corgi-96655-james-bond-aston-martin-db5-mimb_280588458720.jpg

and as a part of the Director's cut collection,

199.jpg

but the functions did not work so well like with the 270.

I'll be in Tokyo very soon and will take you up on the pint offer though -{

He is talking about naming the actor that was fired out of the ejector seat, you Helmet :D 8-)
    no actor was fired out the db5, it was a lightweight dummy, dummy. :o
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    edited February 2011
    danjaq_0ff wrote:
    He is talking about naming the actor that was fired out of the ejector seat, you Helmet :D 8-)

no, he came back to the Corgi model and then offered the pint you groundhog :D

Hi, Tokyo Matt! As Bondtoys says, you are looking for a Corgi Aston with the number 270. However, there were two versions of the 270, the first with the spoked wheels and tyre slashers from 1968-76, the second a simplified version with Whizzwheels from 1976-78. You probably had the second, this was also my first Corgi Aston (and a little disappointing when compared to the older car in the 1972-74 catalogs that I had).

If you just want the car, this is quite commonly found on Ebay. If you want a complete set with box and all accessories (instruction, lapel badge, unused number plate sheet, two baddies) in the envelope, expcect to pay a few hundred pounds. I have seen lapel badges go for £60, number plate sheets for £100, and even empty envelopes for £40.
    The two box types that are the most sought-after are the 1968 blisterpack with wings, as in Bondtoys' first picture, and the yellow-and-blue "slimline" box from 1969-73. The second picture actually shows a wrong box for the car, this is the 270 box for the Whizzwheels version (with the yellow field on the right); correct would be the style of the 96655 but with a large white 270 instead.
    minigeff wrote:
    no actor was fired out the db5, it was a lightweight dummy, dummy. :o

Ok the Guy that get free meals by saying he was the dummy :p
    I've actually got a 270 i think. its fairly old, but my darling sister decided to wreak it as a child. silly bitch.

anyways, i might restore it, anyone know of a good source of spares?
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    MG is correct. I have edited my initial post with the correct version of the box.

The non-.tyreslasher 270 model was a bit larger in scale, if I remember correctly.

That makes another pint for me Tokyo Matt -{ ?

And why is MG correct when I, I, I was the one who wrote this? ;) The Whizzwheels 270 is the same size, but has fender flares making it a little wider maybe.
    Here's a link to a slimline-boxed 270 which went for £540 ...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290532302885
    Sorry, RW. You are correct and MG is always wrong :D

But I get the beer! :D

Bondtoys wrote:
    Sorry, RW. You are correct and MG is always wrong :D

But I get the beer! :D

think you've had enough beer....... :o

2282732864_4727b4d3d3.jpg?v=0
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org