James Bonds view on politics

What is he? Conservative? I should guess so.. He is a stong believer in Queen and country. I dont think he likes change much. He is a bit of a dinosaur as M said in Goldeneye.

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I too always assumed Bond would be a Conservative But not too right wing. IMHO he'd keep the Pound and the Queen, Probably want to keep some distance from europe, having more sympathy/identity for the Commonwealth Countries. And he'd still love America.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Le SamouraiLe Samourai Honolulu, HIPosts: 573MI6 Agent
    I find it interesting that Christopher Hitchens once claimed Bond for the Left, while Kingsley Amis claimed him for the Right. Each had their points.

For what it's worth, here's what Ian Fleming himself said in a famous Playboy interview:
    He's certainly got little in the way of politics, but I should think what politics he has are just a little bit left of center.
    —Le Samourai

A Gent in Training.... A blog about my continuing efforts to be improve myself, be a better person, and lead a good life. It incorporates such far flung topics as fitness, self defense, music, style, food and drink, and personal philosophy.
    Agent In Training
  • thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent
    I'm sure that I read in Fleming's work that Bond was "slightly left of centre". I always imagined him as Conservative myself (Fleming also) given his love for queen and country, his love of the finer things in life etc. In reality most people in intelligence work seem central in politics, and I think that's necesarry to hold balance.
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com
    Although according to Mel Gibson, Bond is nowhere near right wing enough. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • pyratpyrat Posts: 260MI6 Agent
    I find it interesting that Christopher Hitchens once claimed Bond for the Left, while Kingsley Amis claimed him for the Right. Each had their points.

I've always found if you go far enough left or far enough right you kind of wind up in the same place although you reasons may vary. So both Hitchens and Aims may be correct.

There is a book that deals with the politics of James Bond which I've actually considered and have on my Amazon wish list.

414B6CG3JQL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Amazon UK
    Amazon US
    Pyrat
    Reflections in a double bourbon...
  • Kissy SuzukiKissy Suzuki IrelandPosts: 66MI6 Agent
    For what it's worth, here's what Ian Fleming himself said in a famous Playboy interview:
    He's certainly got little in the way of politics, but I should think what politics he has are just a little bit left of center.

To be honest, I think Fleming's idea of what constituted "left of centre" political views back in the early 1960's is probably what most people would regard as fairly right-wing these days!:))
    Kissy Suzuki Today 00:02

Le Samourai wrote:

To be honest, I think Fleming's idea of what constituted "left of centre" political views back in the early 1960's is probably what most people would regard as fairly right-wing these days!:))

Thats a very good Point Kissy Suzuki. -{
  • zaphodzaphod Posts: 1,183MI6 Agent

Agreed. However, if the character remains consistent he would still be slightly towards the left of contemporary thinking even if the specifics of what that means may vary over time.
    I think we see in Bond what we want, and our personal preferences will to a large extent colour our judgement. Therefore I claim him for the centre left.
    zaphod wrote:

Agreed. However, if the character remains consistent he would still be slightly towards the left of contemporary thinking even if the specifics of what that means may vary over time.

I think we see in Bond what we want, and our personal preferences will to a large extent colour our judgement. Therefore I claim him for the centre left.

That's a valid point alright, except I just don't believe Bond was ever actually "left of centre" in the first place - even if Fleming himself may regarded him as being so.

In seeing Bond as a reflection of our personal political opinions, I agree with the principle, yet arrive at an entirely different conclusion: as a centre-left individual myself, I end up regarding Bond as being a quintessentially right-wing figure! :s
    Don't know about Bond But I'd vote for this Guy, Guess he must be a Fan of Goldeneye. :D

http://youtu.be/V-fWN0FmcIU
  • zaphodzaphod Posts: 1,183MI6 Agent
    zaphod wrote:

That's a valid point alright, except I just don't believe Bond was ever actually "left of centre" in the first place - even if Fleming himself may regarded him as being so.

In seeing Bond as a reflection of our personal political opinions, I agree with the principle, yet arrive at an entirely different conclusion: as a centre-left individual myself, I end up regarding Bond as being a quintessentially right-wing figure! :s

What are your reasons for that? I don't share your view, but would love to understand it, although I can clearly see how a plausable case could be made either way. For me if he is towards the right it is of the old school Patrician kind in the British tradition.

"What are your reasons for that? I don't share your view, but would love to understand it, although I can clearly see how a plausable case could be made either way. For me if he is towards the right it is of the old school Patrician kind in the British tradition."

First off, this is indeed the profile of Bond I had in mind; a traditional Tory rather than any other sort of radical right-winger - definitely more Ted Heath than Thatcher.

As for my reasons .... Well, I’m the first to admit I’m neither a Bond expert or "hard-core" fan, (especially by this web-site’s standards) so my reasoning is based on my idea of logic rather than any great level of in-depth Bond knowledge. :007)

For instance, let’s look at what Bond actually is: an upper-class chap educated in the poshest schools, who also attended one of the UK’s most prestigious universities. He’s a high-ranking officer in the military, and a government secret agent, who’s duty is to uphold the national interests of queen and country, by maintaining the international status quo. He may have an anti-authoritarian streak alright, but at the end of the day, he’s pretty much an establishment figure.

On a personal level, he indulges in a luxury lifestyle, and has a penchant for the finest of material goodies. In addition, he has also been known to display questionable attitudes towards women and foreigners, on occasion.

On the other hand, he doesn’t appear to be a member of a Trade Union, or have an interest in football. :))

Now, I admit none of the above factors automatically make him a right-wing character, but at the same time I think it would be pretty unusual to find such an individual who turned out to be anything else.

I’m not saying it couldn’t happen, but where is there any evidence to suggest otherwise?

To put it another way .... “If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, chances are ...” ;)
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Kissy, I think you are right on point!

"What are your reasons for that? I don't share your view, but would love to understand it, although I can clearly see how a plausable case could be made either way. For me if he is towards the right it is of the old school Patrician kind in the British tradition."

First off, this is indeed the profile of Bond I had in mind; a traditional Tory rather than any other sort of radical right-winger - definitely more Ted Heath than Thatcher.

As for my reasons .... Well, I’m the first to admit I’m neither a Bond expert or "hard-core" fan, (especially by this web-site’s standards) so my reasoning is based on my idea of logic rather than any great level of in-depth Bond knowledge. :007)

For instance, let’s look at what Bond actually is: an upper-class chap educated in the poshest schools, who also attended one of the UK’s most prestigious universities. He’s a high-ranking officer in the military, and a government secret agent, who’s duty is to uphold the national interests of queen and country, by maintaining the international status quo. He may have an anti-authoritarian streak alright, but at the end of the day, he’s pretty much an establishment figure.

On a personal level, he indulges in a luxury lifestyle, and has a penchant for the finest of material goodies. In addition, he has also been known to display questionable attitudes towards women and foreigners, on occasion.

On the other hand, he doesn’t appear to be a member of a Trade Union, or have an interest in football. :))

Now, I admit none of the above factors automatically make him a right-wing character, but at the same time I think it would be pretty unusual to find such an individual who turned out to be anything else.

I’m not saying it couldn’t happen, but where is there any evidence to suggest otherwise?

To put it another way .... “If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, chances are ...” ;)
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    He wouldn't like the riots :#