Weight Loss and Fitness Thread!

thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent
I've recently hit forty. I'm not as fit as I was. I was in the forces, then private security, then married, had a family and bought a butchery/delicatessen business and now live a busy day-to-day life. I don't do any exercise, eat far too much and have put on a good bit of weight. I used to be marathon-fit, then just fit and now fit-for-nothing... :#

Not anymore. Tomorrow I am changing my eating habits, getting some cardio in and generally changing my life. Every week I will post my goals or achievements, failures, tips, amount lost (or gained), and will look forward to any tips, encouragement, ridicule - whatever...

If you want to join me and post your own weight-loss, fitness successes etc I'd look forward to it and appreciate the company! Maybe this thread is just what you need!
Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com

Comments

• ke02ewwke02eww USPosts: 2,063MI6 Agent
    Good on ya TSA - been through same reformation myself the past year.
    Hardly ex-forces and marathon fit, but I used to play a lot of spot, and two small children kept me pretty slim and fit.... Then life got the better of me and waistline became more laid to waste.. :(

Last year i hit 50, and it of course hit me back.... And I went through one of lifes usual painful periods which we all have to face sometime.... But losing someone very special is tough and watching someone die slowly while your powerless affects each differently...

I took to comfort eating, and dutifully acquired a good 30 lbs...

A year ago today I embarked on a program to retake lost maginot-waistline and feel a bit more in control and healthy.

I have a trainer to push me, and make me do the sessions, and I've lost more than I gained, have better muscle definition and feel a lot better.

But it came at a huge cost, both time and money.

I do three 2.5 hr sessions a week, and aim to burn 3000 calories a week. I also watch ( more glance :) ) at what I eat.

I'm no where near where I want to get to, and the big problem for me is joints..as you pass 40 ur joints degrade very fast, and injuries produce scare tissue that normal exercise doesn't degrade acting to limit movement and use.

Sry for a long explanation - I could have just said get to it man, and for me, having a trainer or a buddy that push-pulls you is the secret...without, I doubt even a strong willed military-disciplined-type won't stick at it especially through the inevitable injuries.

Finally take up boxing, preferably kick boxing

I'm not joking...I couldnt even lift my foot off the ground without falling over when I started....now I can do 1200 full damage kicks in a session....and the satisfaction of making the bag wince is immeasurable.
    Alternatively just punch....it's the best workout possible, and works the abs and core better than anything. The pounds will slide off...trust me.

I hope this helps support ur decision, and as I've offered many a time, when I'm next home in blighty let's have that pint ( of carrot juice :)) )

Semper
  • thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent
    Good on ya! I just hope I can have the same will-power!
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,418Chief of Staff

I'm sure you will have once you start to see the results of the work you put in...the first few weeks are normally the worst...just remeber to have a treat once in a while...otherwise things can get very dull :D
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:

I'm sure you will have once you start to see the results of the work you put in...the first few weeks are normally the worst...just remeber to have a treat once in a while...otherwise things can get very dull :D

To give yourself the will-power, think of the alternative if you lapse....the power of the last will and testament!

And sir m is right...give yourself a treat.... Most gentlemen prefer blondes but im included to brunettes or redheads... :p
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent
    edited August 2011
    You're the same age as me, secretagent.

Of course, they all advise to do a medical before anything too adventurous.

Loeffs used to be a fat knacker, now he's more streamlined going by photos. He's a good one to ask.

I advise Briffa's Waist Disposal but I've mentioned that on another thread. Not personally convinced you have to kill yourself to get into shape, and he attributes it more to what you eat. Identify your poison - chances are you're addicted to something. In my case, it's choccy bars, three or four a day is 1500 calories with nothing to sustain you. But it also gives a sugar rush that plays havoc with your body -it's not just calories.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • SilentSpySilentSpy Private Exotic AreaPosts: 765MI6 Agent
    That delicatessen wouldn't be in stainless steel would it?

Seriously, if you've been in shape before getting back in shape is like riding a bike. Start a bit slow at first then eventually back to a good pace.
    "Better late than never."
  • smudgedudesmudgedude Posts: 162MI6 Agent
    best of luck to you, sir.

just keep your eyes on the prize and don't beat yourself up if you slip occasionally. no pun intended but remember it's a marathon, not a sprint.
    Cheers for the encouragement guys - today went well food wise - but worked a 13 hour day so didn't exercise. Am taking the afternoon off tomorrow so will get something done - maybe a kickabout with my two kids and a run when they're in bed and wife is home...

Nap - haven't seen Leoffs on here of late - perhaps he's getting another book finished.

• WildeWilde Oxford, UKPosts: 621MI6 Agent
    edited August 2011
    What kind of results are you looking for specifically? Just weight loss? Weight loss and general fitness or muscle development and low body-fat?

If it's weight loss then you need to break up 2000/2500 calories in to 6 meals and space them out with 3 hours gap in between. This forces your metabolism to work all day long, burning off unnecessary storage.

Become a label watcher, totally cut out saturated fats and keep fat content below 50g a day. You don't have to punish yourself, just cut back and look for lower fat options in the supermarkets. Modern low fat food is so much better than it was even 5 years ago.

The best piece of advice is to limit your alcohol intake. If that's too much of a challenge then restrict alcohol to the weekend only.

Take up gentle exercise such as walking to start with. Gradually build up to something harder with each month. Running, cycling or rowing are all great options. Try doing press-ups in the morning before breakfast. Start with 5 sets of 3-5 reps and do one more each day.

Give yourself 4 months (16 weeks) and you will notice a huge difference.

Being ex British forces, you probably have great mental acuity, you've just lost your way! Certainly wouldn't want to teach you how to suck eggs but I would be happy to help you with meal-planning and other diet advice if required. Also, if you want help on muscle building or cross-training, let me know.

Kind regards,
    Wilde -{
    today went well food wise - but worked a 13 hour day so didn't exercise. Am taking the afternoon off tomorrow so will get something done - maybe a kickabout with my two kids and a run when they're in bed and wife is home...

As long as you can keep on the move at work, then it's not all bad...a kick-about is good...that's what I try and do at the weekend...after a swim in the morning...
    I'm a good stone overweight at the moment....I can't be doing with those height/weight figures - I should either be 11 stone or 6' 2" :)) ....and I can barely stand up at 11 stone :# ...to try and trim down a bit I'm going for a walk, for at least an hour, a day...unfortunately I live in Manchester and it does rain all the time X-(

Don't get too down-hearted if you miss a day or two... -{
    YNWA 97
  • Le SamouraiLe Samourai Honolulu, HIPosts: 573MI6 Agent
    If you'll pardon the self-promotion, I'm a strength and conditioning coach as well as a mixed martial arts instructor. Perhaps you would find my blog useful:
    http://fitmonkeyhawaii.com/blog/
    —Le Samourai

A Gent in Training.... A blog about my continuing efforts to be improve myself, be a better person, and lead a good life. It incorporates such far flung topics as fitness, self defense, music, style, food and drink, and personal philosophy.
    Agent In Training
    Wilde wrote:
    What kind of results are you looking for specifically? Just weight loss? Weight loss and general fitness or muscle development and low body-fat?

If it's weight loss then you need to break up 2000/2500 calories in to 6 meals and space them out with 3 hours gap in between. This forces your metabolism to work all day long, burning off unnecessary storage.

Become a label watcher, totally cut out saturated fats and keep fat content below 50g a day. You don't have to punish yourself, just cut back and look for lower fat options in the supermarkets. Modern low fat food is so much better than it was even 5 years ago.

The best piece of advice is to limit your alcohol intake. If that's too much of a challenge then restrict alcohol to the weekend only.

Take up gentle exercise such as walking to start with. Gradually build up to something harder with each month. Running, cycling or rowing are all great options. Try doing press-ups in the morning before breakfast. Start with 5 sets of 3-5 reps and do one more each day.

Being ex British forces, you probably have great mental acuity, you've just lost your way! Certainly wouldn't want to teach you how to suck eggs but I would be happy to help you with meal-planning and other diet advice if required. Also, if you want help on muscle building or cross-training, let me know.

Kind regards,
    Wilde -{

Great tips there. Just want a good 3 stone off (just!) and to get generally fitter. In the army we ran, trained and ate greasy fry-ups and chips. There was so much physical activity it didn't matter what we ate at the time. Now it really seems to matter so am going to consciously check fat and sugar intake. I'm giving up chocolate (usually a bar a day) and cutting back on red meat (scarily worked this out to be 5lb a week, not including at least a lb of sausage and a lb of bacon... :#) I think hitting 40 made me worry about the next 20 years and being here for my wife and kids.

I like your tip of smaller meals and more of them. I had breakfast at 05.30 today and lunch at 1.30 and was famished by then...

If you'll pardon the self-promotion, I'm a strength and conditioning coach as well as a mixed martial arts instructor. Perhaps you would find my blog useful:

Great site there - will check it out regularly.

• WildeWilde Oxford, UKPosts: 621MI6 Agent
    Wilde wrote:

Kind regards,
    Wilde -{

Great tips there. Just want a good 3 stone off (just!) and to get generally fitter. In the army we ran, trained and ate greasy fry-ups and chips. There was so much physical activity it didn't matter what we ate at the time. Now it really seems to matter so am going to consciously check fat and sugar intake. I'm giving up chocolate (usually a bar a day) and cutting back on red meat (scarily worked this out to be 5lb a week, not including at least a lb of sausage and a lb of bacon... :#) I think hitting 40 made me worry about the next 20 years and being here for my wife and kids.

I like your tip of smaller meals and more of them. I had breakfast at 05.30 today and lunch at 1.30 and was famished by then...

Okay, well the old saying is certainly true; 'you are what you eat'. Exercise aside, eating the right foods will work wonders alone. No more than 50g of fat a day for 2 months. Break your meals down in to 6 servings and cut out alcohol and keep saturated fat below 20g. Don't worry about mixing carbohydrates with proteins or any of that confusion.

Take up gentle exercise like walking to start with. Don't break out the Rocky Balboa moves just yet as you don't want to overload your circulatory system until your body has adjusted to the increased pressure.

Other tips include drinking green tea (without milk obviously and made with warm water), drink more water generally and drink it with meals, make sure it's ice cold as your body works harder to warm the water to body temp before digestion, this aids weight loss.

It's a very simple philosophy, just label watch and reduce what you intake. I have various meal plans available on e-mail if required.

Regards,
    Wilde -{
  • Mr_IceMr_Ice USPosts: 137MI6 Agent
    ke02eww wrote:
    ...losing someone very special is tough and watching someone die slowly while your powerless affects each differently...

Yup, sure does. I'm a lifer martial artist, I'm 42 and I've been training since about 14.
    My Dad passed away from a long struggle with ALS the same day I was having an operation. I was off the mat for about 6 weeks, so during a time I probably needed my training most, I couldn't train. Sucked.

Anyway, if I didn't train, I'd blow up like a balloon: just genetics, that's the way it goes.

My advice is that you start slow so you don't burn out and accumulate injury.

Everyone here has already offered plenty of good ideas: my favorite is the heavy bag.
    Hang it up wherever you can. Beat the snot out of it. Knowing some of your background, I assume you're no stranger to a
    bag, but do push-ups on your fists to prepare a little. Collapsing a wrist on the bag is painful.
    Mr_Ice wrote:

Everyone here has already offered plenty of good ideas: my favorite is the heavy bag.
    Hang it up wherever you can. Beat the snot out of it. Knowing some of your background, I assume you're no stranger to a
    bag, but do push-ups on your fists to prepare a little. Collapsing a wrist on the bag is painful.

Amen..... -{
  • Le SamouraiLe Samourai Honolulu, HIPosts: 573MI6 Agent

Great site there - will check it out regularly.

Thank you!
    —Le Samourai

A Gent in Training.... A blog about my continuing efforts to be improve myself, be a better person, and lead a good life. It incorporates such far flung topics as fitness, self defense, music, style, food and drink, and personal philosophy.
    Agent In Training
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    I have been going to the gym on and off for the last 6-7 years, however progress goes up and down due to balancing it with social life, & eating (I love my food). My drinking is very limited now since I have 2 kids (nice to have no hangovers on weekends) however due to the many children visiting the house I'm afraid our cupboards always have junk and I end up with temptations for chocolate munching!!

I am now in my early 30s however back when I was 17 years and onwards I became a bit of a beer drinker, pie muncher. Fri, Sat, Sun were spent in the pub and most Wednesdays (pool night) also!! When I hit mid 20's I was pretty obese and unfit, the Atkins craze came out and within 2 weeks of following it I had lost 2 stone. I ditched this crazy diet, however I had lost enough fat in those two weeks to feel good about myself and joined a gym and got back into fitness.

I have a fair bit of muscle on me due to my regular gym visits and heavy lifting routine however this year I have set myself a fat burning target to get rid of my moobs and belly for Xmas where I will be off on my hols with a pair of Grigio Perlas :)) I gym 5 days a week and rest 2 and progress is looking good over the last 2 months

Over the last 5 years of hitting the gym I am by no means an expert however my personal tips that work for me are:

1) Set a target of what you want to achieve - take some pics of yourself in the mirror before you start for reference and motivation

2) Don't turn up to the gym without a routine, with no routine you end up prating around and wasting time. If you are not sure get somebody to help plan one. Record your progress, make sure you are improving or at least not going backwards

3) Change routines up a bit say after a month, don't make going to the gym a chore, make it exciting. If your training say biceps, you will be amazed how doing a different bicep exercise will help make gains as you hit the muscles from a slightly different angle. If your doing 30 mins on the bike, do 15 instead and the other 15 on the cross trainer.

4) Diet is prob more important then working out, you can go very strict here depending how serious you want to push your body however one thing I would avoid at all costs is processed "ready" food.

5) Eat small portions but eat more meals, your stomach will not be overloaded and you will not be hungry throughout the day (this is easier said then done in my experience as work gets in the way) Always have a glass / bottle of water in arms reach, I sometimes sit at my desk for hours and forget about drinking anything!!!

6) If you find dieting near impossible then have a cheat meal on say a Fri or Sat (I try not to do this but if you really are struggling then make your cheat day a reward and keep you "sane" and on track during the other 6 days)

7) If your a chocoholic (I am a SERIOUS one) then chocolate flavoured Protein Shake does wonders for me every time I feel like grabbing a snicker bar!!

8) Find a friend who wants to join you on your mission, last night I was too tired to go to the gym however if I do not go I let my friend down (and vice versa). Once you get there you are raring to go and forget you were feeling lazy earlier

Lastly a lot of my "bigger" friends (and one of my family members) always complain about their weight but never do anything about it. I personally do not care but when they constantly moan and whinge it sort of gets me down. I of course ask them why don't they go for a walk, swim, gym or some other activity and they are guaranteed to say they do not have any time. BULLSHIT! 30 mins a day is all you need and these 30 mins can be found spare in a 24 hour period with ease e.g. sitting around the kitchen chatting, surfing the net, watching footie etc etc

If I'm feeling lazy and no motivation I watch a cheesy movie like Rocky to get me wanting to go to the gym!!!

Right time for a burger (only kidding)
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    I like the tip of a chocolate diet shake instead of chocolate. Actually (I think this is only day four but) I haven't really missed the chocolate, which makes the double snickers every night in front the tv seem a bit odd...
    I'm avoiding the gym at this stage. Although I want a good bit of weight off and to get fitter, I am the proverbial brick sh*t house and have always been broad, and have done weights most of my life. Part of my work involves very heavy repetitive lifting and over the past six years or so this has also contributed to my size increase - my upper body, chest shoulders, biceps etc are off the scale - so I'm keeping this as my muscle work-out! But I have started cycling and have put in two lots of 4 miles, and amazed at how hard I found it... :# Still, early days.

Last night was tough. Brother-in-law moved house and the whole family were there nosing about and someone suggested fish and chips as they had no oven connected, and I declined. The whole family were really supportive.... They had them anyway and brought me a portion because they thought I'd weaken. I didn't, they shared it, I watched on wanting to eat my portion, plus my own arm, and I had grilled chicken salad about two hours later when we got home. THAT was a bloody victory for me. :D

I like the tip of a chocolate diet shake instead of chocolate. Actually (I think this is only day four but) I haven't really missed the chocolate, which makes the double snickers every night in front the tv seem a bit odd...
    I'm avoiding the gym at this stage. Although I want a good bit of weight off and to get fitter, I am the proverbial brick sh*t house and have always been broad, and have done weights most of my life. Part of my work involves very heavy repetitive lifting and over the past six years or so this has also contributed to my size increase - my upper body, chest shoulders, biceps etc are off the scale - so I'm keeping this as my muscle work-out! But I have started cycling and have put in two lots of 4 miles, and amazed at how hard I found it... :# Still, early days.

Last night was tough. Brother-in-law moved house and the whole family were there nosing about and someone suggested fish and chips as they had no oven connected, and I declined. The whole family were really supportive.... They had them anyway and brought me a portion because they thought I'd weaken. I didn't, they shared it, I watched on wanting to eat my portion, plus my own arm, and I had grilled chicken salad about two hours later when we got home. THAT was a bloody victory for me. :D

good work! that's how it gets done. keep doing stuff like that and it'll add up real quick

That shows AMAZING willpower....I don't think I could have done that...I would have eaten the fish - after removing the batter...and probably had half of the chips...so that really is a "bloody victory"...

Try walking as well as cycling...it has less impact on the joints than jogging...and swimming is excellent too...

The 'other' best piece of advice is "eat when you are hungry and not around set mealtimes" - although that can be tricky when you have a family...

Just wish I could take my own advice :#
    YNWA 97
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent
    I've been losing a heck of a lot of weight this last two weeks - all undone by a press trip to Poland, where the food is pure stodge. Will post my advice when I get back to how it was before. :# Feel a bit of a fraud otherwise.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Man I have had this scenario so many times and it is a tough one, you indeed did well. Avoiding the pub and takeaways at home is hard in it self but when with family......

Here is the scenario I have been in countless times when on a diet

e.g. Visit the parents, family members birthday etc (which always pop up when doing good progress). Turn up get offered "bad" food or beer

Politely decline

My mother "don't be daft, you aint got an ounce of fat on you"

Everybody else munching and drinking the usual party type food / booze

"err im 16 stone!!"
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    16 stone is nothing for a fat b@stard, in fact it is quite light weight :D
    Not when your the size of Nick Nack!
    :D that is the thing, we are in wide screen the rest are still 4.3 -{
    paddy whack?
    Dude, I might have a dog in my profile pic, but you aint giving me no bone :v :D
    Well, that was a week and I've lost 4lb 8oz. So bloody chuffed really! :D

Haven't exercised much - just twice on the bike - so planning to factor in more this week.

And guys - 16 stone is kind of my goal - hey, I'm big boned! :D

Well, that was a week and I've lost 4lb 8oz. So bloody chuffed really! :D

Haven't exercised much - just twice on the bike - so planning to factor in more this week.

And guys - 16 stone is kind of my goal - hey, I'm big boned! :D

Great start - no wonder you are pleased...as you know, a steady weight loss is much better than a plummet....don't go too mad with the exercise...gradually increase it...either with longer bouts or and extra session...that way you won't feel too bad if you miss one session...
    YNWA 97