Who is your " LEAST " favorite Bond and why ?????

I thought I would get a little fireworks going here. Who is your least favorite Bond actor and why ????
First I should note naming my least favorite Bond is like naming my least favorite steak at Ruth Christ's ( They are all great, but!!!! )

My least favorite Bond is Dalton. I really wanted to like him as Bond and I go up and down a bit with him, but to me there is just something missing with him. I just don't like his screen presence as Bond. If I was not a kid in the 70's I am sure Roger Moore would take my top spot for least favorite , but as I did , I have a soft spot for his larger than life, popcorn, comic book Bond.

Cheers
{[] {[]
-{ -{ -{
B-) B-)

Comments

• HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    :D well, there is one actor, who tastes like beef jerky compared to all the RC steaks :v
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    standby for Firewokrs, Indeed GGG :))

This will come as a shock to many But I don't like DC in the role of Bond. To me he just doesn't look like an officer type, a Rough Seargent maybe, But Not Bond. ( Just my opinion, I'm not saying I'm right, I know Many love him. :v ) It probably seems a trivial point to some, But I Can't get past it. :#
    Having said that I don't hate him, CR was pretty good and If they do a decent job on Bond 23, who knows, I might begin to accept him. :v
    Poor old Tim Dalton, seems he was the Daniel Craig of his day. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,268MI6 Agent
    Either Dalton or Lazenby, chiefly because they really struggled with the jokes, a key part of my enjoyment of a Bond film.

But I can enjoy Lazenby for swathes of his performance in OHMSS, when he isn't being cocky and swaggering.

So I guess it's Dalton, though his opening shot on the mountain top is maybe the best of all for a new Bond.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • 7700777007 Posts: 502MI6 Agent
    It's close but I'll go Dalton. Since he was in two films to Lazenby's one.
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    You don't want to get me started on Roger Moore! You really don't!
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    CRAIG,reasons to short, to coarse, not very goodlooking [for Bond] basically everything I love about Bond [films and books] I don't see in Craigs potrayal.
  • zaphodzaphod Posts: 1,183MI6 Agent
    standby for Firewokrs, Indeed GGG :))

This will come as a shock to many But I don't like DC in the role of Bond. To me he just doesn't look like an officer type, a Rough Seargent maybe, But Not Bond. ( Just my opinion, I'm not saying I'm right, I know Many love him. :v ) It probably seems a trivial point to some, But I Can't get past it. :#
    Having said that I don't hate him, CR was pretty good and If they do a decent job on Bond 23, who knows, I might begin to accept him. :v
    Poor old Tim Dalton, seems he was the Daniel Craig of his day. :))

I'm hoping that DC can class it up for 23 & I agree so far he is more of a tough Seargent type, a great 006 or 8 perhaps, but not Bond. Some of that is down to his over developed look in CR.
    The definitive point for me is that when he dons the Tux he looks like the doorman but not the guest. He is a fine actor though and I feel that with a script that supports it he may be able to make the leap from a credible 006 to the real deal. it will be a terrific sleight of hand if he can, and considering how miscast I felt he was back in the day a great testament to how good an actor he is.
  • WordsAndDreamsWordsAndDreams Posts: 93MI6 Agent
    Based on whose movies I like to watch, probably PB. It's really tough for me to say, because I grew up in the Brosnan era, and GoldenEye is in my top five. I just absolutely have no desire to ever watch TND, TWINE, or DAD. He had so much potential and could have been the second best (in my opinion) Bond if he had better material to work with, but that's just how it goes sometimes.

Based on the actual actor, definitely Laz. I just don't like him, though I do like OHMSS. If he did more movies and matured as an actor then my opinion of him probably would be better, but he didn't, so i don't.
    Actually I know what you mean, WAdreams. There's just a let down feeling with the Brosnan era all round and his performance seems to pick up on that disappointment I feel.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • DEFIANT 74205DEFIANT 74205 Perth, AustraliaPosts: 1,881MI6 Agent
    Sir Roger Moore. His interpretation of Bond was way too jovial for my liking.
    "Watch the birdie, you bastard!"
  • Agent SidewinderAgent Sidewinder Posts: 223MI6 Agent
    Timothy Dalton....he lacks a certain charisma in the role, and seems to play Fleming's Bond as if he were on downers the whole time. The whole "eyes of a psychopath" criticism isn't entirely without merit either.
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    It would be easy to say Roger Moore. However, although he was James Bond light, I actually enjoyed him as Bond particularly in his first three outings.

No, the worst in my book was Dalton. Despite his being marketed as a hard edged Bond ("his bad side is a dangerous place to be" and all that), I just never bought him as Bond. His apparent acting chops fell shy of being able to pull of Bond in my opinion. So much for RAaaaDA or wherever he was trained.

DG
    So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
  • pyratpyrat Posts: 260MI6 Agent
    It use to be Roger Moore because of the comic direction he took Bond, but Daniel Craig is now a contender. CD plays bond much more thuggish than sophisticated. Where Brosnan looked like he was born to wear suits Craig looks slightly out of place in them. And I'm not sure I'm in with the more casual dress Craig seems to be ushering in either, but this relates to the sophistication issue. So I'd have to say RM and DC, neck and neck... One of the reasons I'm so looking forward to B23 is to see how DC pulls it off.
    Pyrat
    Reflections in a double bourbon...
    edited June 2014
    I see your point, although I certainly don't think Craig is a bad Bond. I would guess that DC would be more successful adding the requisite sophistication to his portrayal than Sir Roger was trying to be taken seriously as a dangerous secret agent with a license to kill. As you said, perhaps Bond 23 will give us an opportunity to see if that's the case.
    pyrat wrote:
    It use to be Roger Moore because of the comic direction he took Bond, but Daniel Craig is now a contender. CD plays bond much more thuggish than sophisticated. Where Brosnan looked like he was born to wear suits Craig looks slightly out of place in them. And I'm not sure I'm in with the more casual dress Craig seems to be ushering in either, but this relates to the sophistication issue. So I'd have to say RM and DC, neck and neck... One of the reasons I'm so looking forward to B23 is to see how DC pulls it off.
  • pyratpyrat Posts: 260MI6 Agent
    If you could cross pollinate RM and DC you'd probably have one hellofa Bond. :)
    Pyrat
    Reflections in a double bourbon...
  • Andy007Andy007 Posts: 100MI6 Agent
    I think reasons for disliking a Bond vary as you'd expect. Some reasons i don't buy though, like people who say they didn't buy Dalton as Bond. How can one of the most realistic portrayal's of the character be brushed aside? As for the suit nonsense you could argue that Brosnan was a catalogue model, rather than a dangerous James Bond. remember Bond is meant to be dangerous, some fans just don't like it serious though, which is why Dalton & Craig now are disliked by some quarters. Personally i do rate Brosnan's qualities as Bond, but he's still about 4th on my list. The truth is Moore shouldn't have been cast as Bond. He certainly made a good job of it. Critics could say he's a gentleman who threw a good punch. Lazenby was inexperienced & also shouldn't have been cast. At 29 was too young & no acting experience. Despite this he did have some charisma and good physical attributes in fight scenes. Overall it was a mature performance for such an unknown actor, replacing Connery. He is my least favourite Bond though. He never had time to gel into the role. One film just isn't enough. Being Australian he's the odd one out of the 6 too. He never seemed quite right as Bond to me. it just seemed something was missing. I don't like Moore's early films but he grew into the role and TSWLM was a real hit & made him a star. After this it was consistently good performaces from him.
    Just because Craig & Dalton are tougher, i think they look just as impressive as the other Bonds.
  • 7700777007 Posts: 502MI6 Agent
    Craig in a suit reminds me of Connery in a suit. I like a tougher Bond, that looks like they could kick your ass if you weren't careful. As mentioned Brosnan like a model, was almost too pretty , and scrawny Dalton was so soft that he needed a suit to try to toughen him up. Moore had some more weight to throw around, but started the less rugged trend that lasted through Brosnan.
  • GaddGeneGaddGaddGeneGadd Posts: 189MI6 Agent
    Sorry Andy007 but I am obviously not alone in thinking Dalton was one of the " least tough" Bonds ever. That was always one of my big problems with him. When he told Sanchez that he was a " Problem eliminator " I just didn't buy it. I never bought Dalton in the fight scenes ( Moore was also unconvincing, but he was more comic book ) I love the gritty Bond vibe, but I could just never get past Daltons lack of physicality. Now I bought him with a sniper rifle, but I could never see Daltons Bond besting Robert Shaw's Grant, like Connery did, on the train.
    edited September 2011
    Andy007 wrote:
    I think reasons for disliking a Bond vary as you'd expect. Some reasons i don't buy though, like people who say they didn't buy Dalton as Bond. How can one of the most realistic portrayal's of the character be brushed aside?

Well, it's simple. I saw both Dalton's turns as Bond in their original releases in the theater. As much as I wanted to like him as Bond, I just didn't. He just seemed like he was trying too hard and I found it fake. Instead of seeing him as Bond, I saw him as an actor desperately trying to play a hard edged Bond. I've met a lot of old timers who stopped being interested in Bond after Connery left because it wasn't the same. I'm a little better than that because I do like other Bonds.
    However there might be somthing to the idea that the best fighters are also who I consider the better Bonds. Connery, Lazenby and Craig. All very credible in the fight sequences. The other three are who I consider weak in the fight sequences.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,761MI6 Agent
    My least favourite is Roger Moore. He was a weak dramatic actor, the least physical of the Bond actors and he stayed far too long in the role. I'm sorry to say this, because I suspect he is the nicest man among the actors. He also brought the series through the 70's and made many financially successfull movies. I don't know if the movies would have been that comedic with another actor in the role, my guess would be not quite as clownish.
    I'm surprices of how many mentions Dalton in this thread. I think he is one of the top three (with Connery and Craig) and made two good Bonds. It's a shame he didn't get the training for the action scenes Craig got. He did some good fight scenes (the Gibraltar scene,the fight with Hong Kong police) but I think he would be better if he took time to learn martial arts and gun handling.
    edited June 2014
    My reaction to Dalton was just the opposite. He had the cold-eyed demeanor that I found very appropriate for a man whose job it was to kill when necessary. I absolutely bought his line about being a "problem eliminator" - the way Dalton delivered the line made it crystal clear that Sanchez was in serious trouble. While I agree with those who feel that Dalton was not as credible in the fight scenes as Connery, Craig or Lazenby, I think he did well enough, and I would have liked to have seen him do more Bond films to see if he could truly make the role his own.
    Sorry Andy007 but I am obviously not alone in thinking Dalton was one of the " least tough" Bonds ever. That was always one of my big problems with him. When he told Sanchez that he was a " Problem eliminator " I just didn't buy it. I never bought Dalton in the fight scenes ( Moore was also unconvincing, but he was more comic book ) I love the gritty Bond vibe, but I could just never get past Daltons lack of physicality. Now I bought him with a sniper rifle, but I could never see Daltons Bond besting Robert Shaw's Grant, like Connery did, on the train.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Barry Nelson (the actor not the AJB member), who played "Card Sense Jimmy Bond." It is in no way, shape, or form a bad performance; it's just that Bond is not a Chandleresque American private detective.

When it comes down to the Bonds of the official EON series, though, I can honestly say that none of them are my "least favorite." On the whole, I don't enjoy the Roger Moore films as well as I enjoy Connery's and I think Connery had the better portrayal; but there is a lot about Moore I like very much and sometimes I need the goofiness of a Moore 007 romp. And that is true of all the 007s: there is something in each and every one of their portrayals and in their films that hits me in the right way. So I'm an optimist. So sue me.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Barry Nelson (the actor not the AJB member), who played "Card Sense Jimmy Bond." It is in no way, shape, or form a bad performance; it's just that Bond is not a Chandleresque American private detective.

Well said.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • WadsyWadsy Auckland, New ZealandPosts: 410MI6 Agent
    Oh, either George Lazenby or Pierce Brosnan. The reason being both of them lacked a suitable convincing role to portray 007. Both heavily flawed, and ruined their movie(s) at least somewhat.
    1. FYEO 2. OHMSS 3. LTK 4. FRWL 5. TLD 6. TSWLM 7. GF 8. AVTAK 9. MR 10. DN 11. SF 12. LALD 13. TB 14. OP 15. CR 16. GE 17. YOLT 18. TMWTGG 19. SP 20. TND 21. TWINE 22. QOS 23. NTTD 24. DAF 25. DAD 26. NSNA 27. CR '67

1. Dalton 2. Moore 3. Connery 4. Craig 5. Lazenby 6. Brosnan
    Funnily enough, one guy who was in the the know was quoted as saying that Dalton is a bloke who looked most like an SAS-style killer of all of them. Question is, where's the paradox then? With the others you have a cetain suavity at odds with what Bond's profession is. Arguably that is a contradiction that makes it appealing, while a hard looking bastard who is a hard looking bastard is straightforward.

Dalton needed better films to play to his strengths, I felt Davi was a real villain enough, and the threat real, in LTK so if you had someone like that in TLD you'd have a great movie, as it was you had to clown villains in that film.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited September 2011
    Funnily enough, one guy who was in the the know was quoted as saying that Dalton is a bloke who looked most like an SAS-style killer of all of them. .

Actually, you've bought up a good point. The fact is that SF types (Special Forces) and other elite operators for the most part don't fit the Hollywood archetype of beefy, brawny Shwarzeneger clones. Elite operators tend to be smaller scrappy type guys, with a never quit attitude. It's more about mind set than brawn, although you have to be very, very fit. A lot of those big guys don't make it through selection. That said, although Connery was one of the tallest of the Bonds, if not the tallest, he did not have a clownish looking "steroid" body. He had a nice physique. So did Lazenby. Craig is, I believe, the smallest of the Bonds, however, again, a nice, not clownish physique. So to me, they are believable as guys that could have made the cut.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • HalconHalcon Zen TemplePosts: 486MI6 Agent
    Halcon here,

man thats a tough one,
    all were great all around so i'll have to rate based on what they were not good at.

-the tough, gritty, violent, believable as assasin test (minus 1point)
    Moore, Brosnan, Lazenby

-the charisma test (minus 1point)
    Dalton, Lazenby

-the believable as home run king with the ladies test (minus 1point)
    Dalton

-the sophistication tes (minus 1point)
    Craig, Lazenby

-the relevant (could pass as Bond in any place in time) test (minus 1point)
    Lazenby, Moore

Loser - Lazenby

yes, that sounds about right...
    Halcon wrote:
    Halcon here,

man thats a tough one,
    all were great all around so i'll have to rate based on what they were not good at.

Moore, Brosnan, Lazenby

Dalton, Lazenby

Dalton

Craig, Lazenby

Lazenby, Moore

Loser - Lazenby

I imagine by that you don't believe that OHMSS was one of the best of the series? If so, too bad. You're missing something special. If, however, you liked OHMSS, how can OHMSS be good and Lazenby be bad?

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,500Chief of Staff
    Halcon wrote:
    Halcon here,

man thats a tough one,

Moore, Brosnan, Lazenby

Dalton, Lazenby

Dalton

Craig, Lazenby

Lazenby, Moore

Loser - Lazenby

I imagine by that you don't believe that OHMSS was one of the best of the series? If so, too bad. You're missing something special. If, however, you liked OHMSS, how can OHMSS be good and Lazenby be bad?

DG

I also think it's more than a tad harsh to judge George just by the one film - even if it is the best in the series ;)

I thought George did a great job - with lots of 'help' from Peter Hunt.
    YNWA 97
  • HalconHalcon Zen TemplePosts: 486MI6 Agent
    Halcon wrote:
    Halcon here,

man thats a tough one,

Moore, Brosnan, Lazenby

Dalton, Lazenby

Dalton

Craig, Lazenby

Lazenby, Moore

Loser - Lazenby

DG

Mr. Grant,
    You've piqued my interest in Lazenby (havent seen OHMSS since 2004?) again. I shall go back and re-consider...