Sharks?

Has anyone noticed that sharks seem to be the main lethal animal used throughout the Bond films? just curious as to why this could be?

Comments

• 7700777007 Posts: 502MI6 Agent
    Probably just a deadly water creature. ?:)

Kinda cool that Bond bad guys used killer fish before the movies Jaws and Pirahna.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Most people have a fear of Big predatory Fish, so the shark is an obivious choice for movies, and apparently quite easy to work with. ( Movie sharks have no big egos, as their unionised ).
    Pirahannas leave almost nothing of their victim, so keep the indoor pool nice and clean, cutting down on staff costs. ( not every villian thinks about these things when planing a bit of world domination. Luckily Blofeld is a bit tight with Money so was always looking ways of cutting overheads, Hence killing so many staff when they where no longer Useful ) :v
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent
    For me, there's nothing scarier. I hate bores who quote your chances of attack and so on. I've swam and dived with smallish sharks in the water (3ft or so) in the Maldives, Australia and Florida - and they made me a bit uncomfortable. But I had a 12ft plus Tiger shark surface just feet from me whilst surfing in Indonesia and I have never been so scared. I saw its open mouth and thumb-sized teeth. It's mouth was about two and half feet wide, and its body was as wide as a horse. The next day we found half a dolphin a mile down the beach... It was fifteen years ago and I sometimes get flashbacks - especially whilst swimming.
    I've fought in conflicts and wars. I've worked security in the most dangerous places that made war look a soft option. I've come so close to death on occasion that I might as well have died and been done with it. I've seen the very worst, and done some terrible things. And I never have any problems sleeping. Accept for that f**king shark!!!!!!! It still makes me shudder typing this. THAT'S why the shark scenes are used - they're terrifying!
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com
  • 7700777007 Posts: 502MI6 Agent
    Yep and being in water just makes you feel that much more helpless against a predator.
  • QuistQuist Posts: 61MI6 Agent
    Maybe it's about time we saw a new bond villain with another dangerous pet animal! If Blofeld is meant to be occuring in Skyfall then perhaps they could give him a vicious pet wild dog like a Rotweiller as appose to a fluffy white cat? I could always imagine Gustav Graves keeping a killer whale in a big pool inside that ice palace!
  • DaltonFan1DaltonFan1 The West of IrelandPosts: 503MI6 Agent
    Quist wrote:
    Maybe it's about time we saw a new bond villain with another dangerous pet animal! If Blofeld is meant to be occuring in Skyfall then perhaps they could give him a vicious pet wild dog like a Rotweiller as appose to a fluffy white cat? I could always imagine Gustav Graves keeping a killer whale in a big pool inside that ice palace!

Neutralizing a dog is easier because they really just want to be friends(see lethal weapon 3), although Drax's Doberman Pinschers were pretty menacing.
    I think killer whales only rarely attack humans, great white and tiger sharks on the other hand are the most ruthless predators in water and we're pretty much helpless in their domain

However, I'd like to see a villain use big cats for a change.
    “Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to a better understanding of ourselves.” - Carl Jung
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    For me, there's nothing scarier. I hate bores who quote your chances of attack and so on. I've swam and dived with smallish sharks in the water (3ft or so) in the Maldives, Australia and Florida - and they made me a bit uncomfortable. But I had a 12ft plus Tiger shark surface just feet from me whilst surfing in Indonesia and I have never been so scared. I saw its open mouth and thumb-sized teeth. It's mouth was about two and half feet wide, and its body was as wide as a horse. The next day we found half a dolphin a mile down the beach... It was fifteen years ago and I sometimes get flashbacks - especially whilst swimming.
    I've fought in conflicts and wars. I've worked security in the most dangerous places that made war look a soft option. I've come so close to death on occasion that I might as well have died and been done with it. I've seen the very worst, and done some terrible things. And I never have any problems sleeping. Accept for that f**king shark!!!!!!! It still makes me shudder typing this. THAT'S why the shark scenes are used - they're terrifying!

Having been fortunate enough to be brought up sailing - I've seen my fair share of these too.... my first was a basking shark off the coast of St Mary's in the Isles of Scilly. A massive thing.... just cruising with its mouth open (they only eat plankton apparently, but I wasn't to know that...) and my 2 brothers thought it hilarious to threaten to throw me in... we were only about 20ft away.... I was terrified. Then later, when I was diving in the San Blas Islands - I came across a reef shark. And bloody hell.... they may seem smaller than your tiger shark, but I was petrified once again.

However, for me, and for all of my experience with these creatures, it's tarantulas that get me. I had a nightmare about one once... and I've never quite got over it. I then came across one when I was visiting the Panama..... I couldn't stop shaking. They are the definition of scary for me....

At least if you are swimming in hotter climes, you are prepared for a possible shark sighting.... spiders on the other hand can sneak up on you when you least expect it.....
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • Mr BeechMr Beech Florida, USAPosts: 1,749MI6 Agent
    Mm. It'd be clowns for me.
    Does anyone actually like Clowns ? :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • GaddGeneGaddGaddGeneGadd Posts: 189MI6 Agent
    Does anyone actually like Clowns ? :))

Only if she is Bond girl hot and naked :)) :)) :))
    for me she'd have to keep the big shoes and red nose on. :D
    or is that just weird, :v
    for me she'd have to keep the big shoes and red nose on. :D
    or is that just weird, :v

No not weird :D

The shoes would give her something to grab on to, of course from that view you couldn't see the nose :)) :)) :))
  • thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent
    Lexi wrote:

Having been fortunate enough to be brought up sailing - I've seen my fair share of these too.... my first was a basking shark off the coast of St Mary's in the Isles of Scilly. A massive thing.... just cruising with its mouth open (they only eat plankton apparently, but I wasn't to know that...) and my 2 brothers thought it hilarious to threaten to throw me in... we were only about 20ft away.... I was terrified. Then later, when I was diving in the San Blas Islands - I came across a reef shark. And bloody hell.... they may seem smaller than your tiger shark, but I was petrified once again.

However, for me, and for all of my experience with these creatures, it's tarantulas that get me. I had a nightmare about one once... and I've never quite got over it. I then came across one when I was visiting the Panama..... I couldn't stop shaking. They are the definition of scary for me....

At least if you are swimming in hotter climes, you are prepared for a possible shark sighting.... spiders on the other hand can sneak up on you when you least expect it.....

I've spent time in jungle and rain forest and I hate spiders. Some you see are just SO big. I've seen Bird Spiders, tarantulas and some seriously leggy things with big eyes and fangs. I'm not scared as in going after one and killing it - but let's say I don't sleep well knowing they're so near...

I've noticed smallish black, shiny spiders with a red spot on their backs in the sheds on my property. Apparently they're False-Widows (a relation to the Black Widow), painful venomous bite, but not fatal that initially came over from the Canary Islands and have spread through southern England. I'm at war with these critters, and have cleared out and sprayed, but they are still there. Not too happy about foreign nasties on my doorstep...
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com
    Everyone has their one super ICK factor, for me it has always been rats. I saw the movie "Willard" as a kid and I have never really recovered LOL
  • SkyfallSkyfall Rushhaaa with luvvvPosts: 19MI6 Agent
    hahahha if a villain really wanted to scare bond, he could tell all the women that bond has slept with where he is , so that they can sue for child support :))
    "... I never left.."
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,274MI6 Agent
    sharks.jpg
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    The scariest Sharks of all :D

West_Side_Story.jpg
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,689MI6 Agent
    Sharks and piranhas I'd say. -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,792MI6 Agent
    edited June 2014
    Sharks were used so much in the early Bonds I'd say it's unlikely they are used again in Bond movies. If they do it has to be in a very creative and interesting way.
    How about a genetic experiment half man half Shark !
    We could call him .............. Jaws ! :)) or Suárez :p ;)
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,689MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Sharks were used so much in the early Bonds I'd say it's unlikely they are used again in Bond movies. If they do it has to be in a very creative and interesting way.

Maybe they could go all out and make the sharks robotic/remote-controlled like in the Warhead script and NSNA? :p
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • QuistQuist Posts: 61MI6 Agent
    They have been used as a villain's pet or accessory in six Bond movies and have featured a lot I believe in Flemings novels. I think this stems from the fact that he saw them a lot while living in Jamaica. If they do return I think that Jamaica should be the place we see them again out of respect to Fleming.
    As Largo said 'Magnificent creatures'.
    Quist wrote:
    They have been used as a villain's pet or accessory in six Bond movies and have featured a lot I believe in Flemings novels. I think this stems from the fact that he saw them a lot while living in Jamaica. If they do return I think that Jamaica should be the place we see them again out of respect to Fleming.
    As Largo said 'Magnificent creatures'.

...unless there's blood in the water! :))
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    The Bahamas have been used for a few of the Bond films due to the clarity of the water there for filming
    also it just happens to be the shark spotting center of the world ,.we did go on a shark spotting tour out of Nassua
    but didn't see one at all ,as for piranha ,people in the amazon region happily swim where piranha live ,the are attracted by
    blood and thrashing about ,and are not the eat everything in sight monsters that are portrayed by Hollywood
    I used to keep about 12 of them (red piranha ) and for a fish they are quite intelligent .a favourite party trick to impress
    potential girl friends was to roll up my sleeve and put my arm in the tank with them ,they would quickly bugger off up the other end of the tank :)
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    Only your arm ? :))
    I know in many zoos a guy has to get into the tank with them to clean the glass. :D
    I wouldn't fancy it as a career move. :))
    Only your arm ? :))
    I know in many zoos a guy has to get into the tank with them to clean the glass. :D
    I wouldn't fancy it as a career move. :))

Yes TP only my arm (I didn't want to scare them :)) ) but I would love that job, they really don't deserve their man eater tag,
    yes there are stories of people being eaten but it is likely they were bleeding ,women seem to be more likely to be bitten
    :D To be honest I'd me much more worried by that
    Fish with spines that swims up your " Gentleman's bits" :#
    :D To be honest I'd me much more worried by that
    Fish with spines that swims up your " Gentleman's bits" :#

AH yes the infamous candiru ,they have backward facing spines wich makes extraction with a pair of tweezers unlikely
    I did hear a story of marines, training in those infected waters wearing condoms when crossing rivers , better safe than sorry :# :#
    Bloody sure, I'd have two on ( if I could find some really big ones ;) )
    It's one thing to ask a mate to suck a sting out, but you'd have to have
    A really close friend to .............. :D :))
    Bloody sure, I'd have two on ( if I could find some really big ones ;) )
    It's one thing to ask a mate to suck a sting out, but you'd have to have
    A really close friend to .............. :D :))

would be interesting to look up to see how you would get the bugger out
    and as you say ,he would have to be a very very understanding mate :))