Skyfall First Bond film shot in digital

HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
From the looks of the camera in the new rooftop stills, "Skyfall" is the first Bond film to be shot on hi def digital video. CR and QOS were shot on 35mm film using the Super 35 Format and presented theatrically in the 2.35 to 1 scope aspect ratio.
An article published on The Guardian’s website discusses the current move from 35mm film stock to digital photography. With Skyfall being shot digitally, the article says:

Even that master of cinematography, Roger Deakins, is shooting Skyfall, the next Bond film, on Red’s rival, the Arri Alexa, according to the IMDb. If Deakins is doing it, surely digital’s a good thing?

The article goes on to discuss the pros and cons of digital versus film and how the loss of projectionists from cinemas means a vast wealth of knowledge is being lost from the industry.

Comments

• jasper_lamar_crabbjasper_lamar_crabb Posts: 169MI6 Agent
    Yes sadly it is true. Deakins is using the Arri Alexa so as good as his cinematography will likely be, it won't have that unique movie magic that only 35mm film can provide.
  • Mr BeechMr Beech Florida, USAPosts: 1,749MI6 Agent
    I liked the intentional film grain of CR on Blu Ray. I'm sure it will look gorgeous anyways. Neither format has been an issue to me.
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    For a long while I was rather suspect of digital projection and filming in high def digital as opposed to 35mm. I still believe that 35mm source materials and 35mm projection are still the superior formats...when done properly and of course that's the caveat. I'm a pretty big film buff in general and very picky about the theatres/cinemas I frequent. Unfortunately many modern multiplexes have indifferent to poor presentation....films projected out of focus, projector bulbs turned down to extend there life resulting in dull, murky images on screen, teenage employees running things instead of experienced trained projectionists etc, etc. After having experienced several films projected digitally (Sony 4k) I was really impressed with the overall image quality and just as importantly running those projectors apparently is much simpler in execution than a proper 35mm presentation so for all intents and purposes it's harder for the bozos to muck up. As far as filming in Hi Def Digital, I trust Roger Deakins. If he's comfortable with the format, then I think the results should be fine. While I am dead set against a 3D Bond film, I would like to see some IMAX presentations of "Skyfall". It's about the closest thing we have today to the old 70mm presentations of the 50's, 60's and early 70's.
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,419Quartermasters
    Roger Deakins is an artist - if he trusts that the Arri Alexa can capture the images that he wants, then I am comfortable with the switch. In the past I would have certainly been against it, but I've heard great things about the Alexa and I think that with the latest generation of digital cinema cameras the playing field is becoming level as far as film and digital are concerned.
    According to what I have been reading on the net and Deakins own website, Deakins is a big proponant of shooting in Hi Def Digital and it was his choice to film "Skyfall" using that format. Deakins also is a firm believer in judging the quality of the format by how it looks to the human eye when projected on the big screen (not what the technical "specs" say) and Deakins believes that the Arri Alexa camera can yield a final projected image that is equal to 35mm film, especially in the "scope" aspect ratio of 2.35 to 1. For a reference, the recent film, "Drive" was shot with the Arri Alexa in the 2.35 to 1 format by Cinematographer Newton Thomas Sigel. I saw "Drive" in a theatre with excellent projection and had no idea at the time it was shot digitally and not on film. I don't think we have anything here to worry about.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    They've made huge leaps in Hi Def Digital in the past few Years, so I don't have a problem with any film being shot on that Medium.
    Even In photography you get the same discussions on whether Traditional Film is better than the latest Digital sensors in
    stills Cameras.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    Here is an interview in three parts in which Roger Deakins talks about going digital with the Arri Alexa on In Time and Skyfall, image quality, Master Prime lenses, Alexa's optical view finder, the IMAX blow-up for Skyfall, the 'resolution race' and texture in his images.

A conversation with Roger Deakins - part 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBvA1ChExAI&feature=relmfu

A conversation with Roger Deakins - part 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Lh69p5g13Q&feature=relmfu

A conversation with Roger Deakins - part 3
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00OGyWADHyM&feature=relmfu
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
  • Mr BeechMr Beech Florida, USAPosts: 1,749MI6 Agent
    I've never seen a film and thought, "Oh darn, it's shot in digital."

I really don't think it hurts the filmgoer's experience.
    Watched the interview with Roger Deakins and was able to glean some interesting information regarding the IMAX version of "Skyfall". Apparently Deakins was extremely satisfied and impressed with the Digital IMAX footage which in his opinion looks pretty amazing. He didn't seem as ecstatic about the IMAX 70mm film blow-up tests, finding it a bit too "grainy". The other interesting fact was regarding the aspect ratio of the Digital IMAX presentations. Deakins was so impressed with the Digital IMAX test footage that it was decided to format the Digital IMAX version to take advantage of the full height of the Digital IMAX screens, approx 2.0 to 1 as opposed to the traditional 2.35 to 1 scope ratio that the regular version will be screened. Do not fret however as the 2.0 to 1 Digital IMAX version will not be cropped on the sides but actually add picture to the top and bottom. He is very clear in the interview that "Skyfall" was purposely composed this way during filming to accommodate both aspect ratios.

One other bit of good news was Deakins confirming that very little CGI was used for the stunts and action scenes....no CGI'ed people, etc. Deakins went on to say that Mendes wanted as much of the effects and action to be captured "in camera" as possible and that Daniel Craig did a significant amount of stunt work himself.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    Fascinating Roger Deakins interview. It's always worthwhile to listen to an artist speak about his craft...he is an outstanding DP and I look forward to seeing his work in Skyfall :007)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM