Moore ruthless than you think

Mrs.BryceMrs.Bryce Posts: 139MI6 Agent
edited February 2012 in General James Bond Chat
Why does everyone think that Roger couldn't fight or be ruthless and cold?
Sorry, I just don't understand why this is a common thought amongst fans. Personally, I think he could fight and be ruthless/cold.
He may not have been extremely graceful whilst fighting, but he came up against henchmen bigger than him, with more means. E.g Metal teeth, a metal hook claw. Sandor, Tee-Hee, Jaws, Erich Kriegler and I'd say Braon Samedi (who remember cannot die) all prove to be bigger physical threats. He could be cold too; such as kicking the car off the cliff, roughing up Ms.Anders, kicking the man in the face whilst bowing (at Hi Phat's Karate School), threatening to kill Rosie Carver after having sex with her, shooting Lazaar or trying too, dropping Sandor off the building, Drax's death was harsh (he would've had his lungs explode as well as posion circulating through his blood stream), as was Stromberg's death (receiving 1 deadly bullet, and 3 just for the heck of it). I could list many more, but I shant preach more than I already have. :)) :))

I also didn't think these were out of character, as he was consistent with, having atleast something ruthless in each of his films.

But please, comment your own opinion. I'm interested in hearing them. :)

Comments

• thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent
    When he helps the car over the cliff in FYEO I think that was pretty cold. When he slaps Maude Adams in TMWTGG that is pretty ruthless. Knocking Sandour over the edge of the building is as ruthless as anything the other Bonds have done.
    I guess his comedy moments tarnished his other attributes.
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com
  • JohnMastersonJohnMasterson MinnesotaPosts: 326MI6 Agent
    Mrs.Bryce wrote:
    Sorry, I just don't understand why this is a common thought amongst fans. Personally, I think he could fight and be ruthless/cold.
    He may not have been extremely graceful whilst fighting, but he came up against henchmen bigger than him, with more means. E.g Metal teeth, a metal hook claw. Sandor, Tee-Hee, Jaws, Erich Kriegler and I'd say Braon Samedi (who remember cannot die) all prove to be bigger physical threats. He could be cold too; such as kicking the car off the cliff, roughing up Ms.Anders, kicking the man in the face whilst bowing (at Hi Phat's Karate School), threatening to kill Rosie Carver after having sex with her, shooting Lazaar or trying too, dropping Sandor off the building, Drax's death was harsh (he would've had his lungs explode as well as posion circulating through his blood stream), as was Stromberg's death (receiving 1 deadly bullet, and 3 just for the heck of it). I could list many more, but I shant preach more than I already have. :)) :))

I also didn't think these were out of character, as he was consistent with, having atleast something ruthless in each of his films.

You see it's all about balancing. Because when Sean Connery was at his best he could balance the coldness, and the ruthlessness, with the humor, very well. Which is why I believe Sean Connery was a better Bond than Roger Moore prior to You Only Live Twice and Diamonds Are Forever....Which happens to be when everything went down hill for Sean and tarnished his rep!
    "Goodbye, my son. Our hopes and dreams travel with you." Jor-El ~ Man of Steel (2013)
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,797MI6 Agent
    I think Roger Moore sadof the kicking of the car: - Perhaps it was a Bondian thing to do, but I` not sure it is something my Bond would do.

Moore somtimes was ruthless. But I felt it was in spite of Moore, not because of him. You see the diference when watching Dalton. The ruthless Bond fits him like a glove.
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    Mrs.Bryce wrote:

Great post, Mrs.Bryce. :)

Critics will always reference the silly humour and may refer to the charm but pretty much prefer to forget the rest. Underneath (when he wanted/had to be) Roger Moore Bond could be really ruthless and devious. This had more of a shock value compared to say Sean Connery or Daniel Craig's Bond. You expect it from them. I can think of two other examples that you did not mention. In Live And Let Die he manipulates the cards to get Solitaire into bed and reveal information. In Octopussy, the great train scene where he confronts General Orlov and shoots the Russian soldier right between the eyes.

Admittedly, some of the humour was too silly and Roger was not the most graceful fighter. However, if you will forgive the pun. There was so much Moore to Roger's Bond than that.
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,280MI6 Agent
    Never really sure about Dalton's ruthlessness somehow. When he's about to shoot Pushkin, we see him wavering, like he doesn't want to do it. But then he says 'If I trusted Koskov, we wouldn't be talking...' Well, in that case why is he struggling with himself to off the guy? He's not intending to kill him, at least not yet. Though that could be bad direction too.

We don't see many ruthless deaths from Dalton do we, nothing springs to mind.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    After DAF the Bond movies changed to be lighter more comedic, So although Poor Roger gets
    the blame. Even if Connery had stayed on or Dalton had taken over he'd of gotten the same
    scripts with the same comedy moments.
    I know with D Craig most fans seem to accept that the Lead of the Movie must have a huge
    Input to what appears on screen, When in fact in the old days Neither Connery or Moore had
    much input as to what the character would do.
    Moore wasn't happy about dressing as a clown for Octopussy, But it was in the script and was
    what the director wanted so he did it.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Mrs.BryceMrs.Bryce Posts: 139MI6 Agent
    edited February 2012
    Never really sure about Dalton's ruthlessness somehow. When he's about to shoot Pushkin, we see him wavering, like he doesn't want to do it. But then he says 'If I trusted Koskov, we wouldn't be talking...' Well, in that case why is he struggling with himself to off the guy? He's not intending to kill him, at least not yet. Though that could be bad direction too.

I completely agree, Nap.
    I actually don't find him very ruthless, in comparison to the 70's movies, the two Bond's he is in are very different in tone, but as a character I don't think so much ruthless. Just distant. He seems to show little warmth towards people; it comes with time.
    Moore Than wrote:
    Mrs.Bryce wrote:

Critics will always reference the silly humour and may refer to the charm but pretty much prefer to forget the rest. Underneath (when he wanted/had to be) Roger Moore Bond could be really ruthless and devious. This had more of a shock value compared to say Sean Connery or Daniel Craig's Bond. You expect it from them. I can think of two other examples that you did not mention. In Live And Let Die he manipulates the cards to get Solitaire into bed and reveal information. In Octopussy, the great train scene where he confronts General Orlov and shoots the Russian soldier right between the eyes.

Admittedly, some of the humour was too silly and Roger was not the most graceful fighter. However, if you will forgive the pun. There was so much Moore to Roger's Bond than that.

And thank-you, Moore Than!
    I completely agree with you too :))
    I really do like both those scenes, can't believe I forgot to add them! And what about when he is fiesty with the officer, "Dammit man, this is urgent!". Not so much ruthless or cold, but forceful!

I agree that there needs to be balance, but as Thunderpussy said, the actor didn't get much input. It would be the production team, director, screenwriter etc.
    Moore is at his most ruthless in that notorious scene with the drug dealer in The Wild Geese.

That said, you could argue his 'kills' are less ruthless in a way because they're cartoon deaths. As one scriptwriter said, 'When Roger killed someone, you never quite believed they were dead. With Sean, you believed it.'

And to be fair, Rog has 'fessed up and said that he didn't like to seem too ruthless as Bond because he just didn't quite believe in any of it, it was warm-hearted family viewing. He took a different attitude to his more adult roles in adult films. Still, when required, Moore had more a cool blooded, assassin's approach to his kills as opposed to the fierceness of Connery.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,797MI6 Agent
    Mrs.Bryce wrote:

I completely agree, Nap.
    I actually don't find him very ruthless, in comparison to the 70's movies, the two Bond's he is in are very different in tone, but as a character I don't think so much ruthless. Just distant. He seems to show little warmth towards people; it comes with time.
    Moore Than wrote:
    Mrs.Bryce wrote:

And thank-you, Moore Than!
    I completely agree with you too :))
    I really do like both those scenes, can't believe I forgot to add them! And what about when he is fiesty with the officer, "Dammit man, this is urgent!". Not so much ruthless or cold, but forceful!

I agree that there needs to be balance, but as Thunderpussy said, the actor didn't get much input. It would be the production team, director, screenwriter etc.

While I agree the actors didn`t get to give much input at the time, but the scripts were somewhat tailored to the strengths of the actors. Moore was good at humor and charm, Dalton was more athletic and a better dramatic actor. This is reflected in the scripts. I agree that the 70`s would have probably shown a change towards more comedic and family oriented Bond films regardless of the actor playing the role, but the casting of Moore strengthened that trend. If Lazenby had signed the contract for several movies he was offered, I doubt we would have seen so much comedy in those films.

Concerning the ruthlesness of Dalton: I can think of two very brutal kills by Dalton just now. Throwing the suitcase at the DEA agent, making him fall into the shark-infested water. And setting fire to the gasoline-soaked Sanchez. If you look at the weapons used in his movies they are somewhat more direct and brutal: whip, pressure chamber, knife, shotgun and fire. The overall tone of the movies (particularely LTK, the only one written especially for him) is clearly more ruthless, while Moore had plenty of ruth. :v
  • Smiert-SpionamSmiert-Spionam Posts: 318MI6 Agent

Dalton had his rutheless moments...

The killing of Killifer into the Shark Pool by chucking the briefcase at him.
    Letting Necros fall to his death by cutting through the laces on his boot.
    The satisfaction of watching Milton Krest being 'pressurised' by Sanchez after setting him up.
    Smiert Spionam
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,590Chief of Staff

Really ?:)

I never thought that Bond was going to kill Pushkin...he could have killed him from a distance *if* he wanted too...my take was that Bond just wanted to talk to him...to confirm what he thought...that Koskov's story didn't add up...and what they could do about it...he just wanted to scare Pushkin into talking....

"Complement's of Sharkey..." ;)

And how he set up Krest was pretty ruthless...he knew that Sanchez would kill him...that's pretty cold...
    YNWA 97
    I never had a problem with the ruthless aspects of Timothy Dalton's portrayal as mentioned by Number24, Smiert-Spionam and Sir Miles.

He never looked totally relaxed in the role to me but it could be argued that he only starred in two films. At times he could be too serious, overact and or over-react. Having said that, I enjoyed his portrayal overall and would not have been disappointed to see him again after LTK. Pity about the legal problems.
  • zaphodzaphod Posts: 1,183MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:

I never thought that Bond was going to kill Pushkin...he could have killed him from a distance *if* he wanted too...my take was that Bond just wanted to talk to him...to confirm what he thought...that Koskov's story didn't add up...and what they could do about it...he just wanted to scare Pushkin into talking....

And how he set up Krest was pretty ruthless...he knew that Sanchez would kill him...that's pretty cold...

I really liked Dalton's portrayal of his inner conflict between carrying out his duty and doing what's right. The tension was set up earlier with "if it must be done, then I'll do it" when asked to
    Carry out the assassination. He was always suspicious and doubtful. The ruthlessness really comes through for me in the " If I believed Koskov we wouldn't still be talking" line.
    All in all a standout scene which displays a lot of what was so great about Dalton's Bond.
    Pure class.
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,281MI6 Agent
    edited February 2012
    Everyone has their favorite Bond and for some (many?) the easiest way to build up their #1 is to criticize everyone else. All the Bonds suffer from this to some degree but ole Roger seems to get more than his fair share of detractors. The fact that his movies tend to stray the furthest from Fleming's stories (quaint though they had become) further exacerbates the problem, I think.

I too always felt Roger could be convincingly ruthless when he had to be (even if he probably didn't particularly like that aspect of the role) and all the aforementioned scenes (roughing up Andrea, dropping Shandor from the roof, knocking Loque's car off the cliff) are good examples, as is his cold blooded killing of Stromberg (wherein he pumps 5 bullets into his unarmed foe).

Roger's Bond has a respectably large body count, and when he killed he often did so with a smile on his lips. Now what could be more ruthless than that. ;)
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    I agree 100% about Dalton's portrayal of the ruthless, yet conflicted, aspects of Bond. Those were his best moments as Bond in my opinion. As for Moore, although several of his fans have pointed out ruthless acts that he has committed as 007, the problem for me is that he never was convincing when he did it. That's the point - you have to be able to believe that Bond can be a ruthless SOB when he kills or threatens or beats someone. I don't know if those characteristics were out of Roger Moore's range as an actor, or if he was poorly directed, or if such scenes weren't well-written, but they simply were not convincing to me.
    zaphod wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

I really liked Dalton's portrayal of his inner conflict between carrying out his duty and doing what's right. The tension was set up earlier with "if it must be done, then I'll do it" when asked to
    Carry out the assassination. He was always suspicious and doubtful. The ruthlessness really comes through for me in the " If I believed Koskov we wouldn't still be talking" line.
    All in all a standout scene which displays a lot of what was so great about Dalton's Bond.
    Pure class.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    Moore was quoted as saying he didn't want it to be too believable, he disapproved of Bond as a man so tried to lighten it and not glamourise the nastiness.

Oh, just seen your post Sir Miles. But, well, no, we see him wavering like he's about to kill him and is intent, building up to a cold blooded kill reluctantly and there is a doom laden feel to it. So I think it's badly directed myself. But your explanation holds, just doesn't come across like that as directed.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
    Mrs.Bryce wrote:

This thread is old and my have run it's course, but I'd still like to throw my two shillings in.

Having worked on some independent films in the past myself, I can best come at this topic from the point of view as a filmmaker. The problem I had with Moore's attempt at being ruthless in his films was the way his character was being played to his acting skills. Moore's basic qualifications for getting the Bond role was his stint as The Saint. If you watch the old B&W series, you see how the producers thought him a perfect fit for the role. He was tall, handsome, very fit, looked good in any wardrobe and was used to throwing the occasional punch. He also had the right accent and was at ease throwing out verbal puns. Perfect casting so far right? Here's where the problems arose -

Bond is described as being handsome by Fleming, but not in a model or leading man way, because their seems to be a hint of danger in his looks (the cheek scar added to this). Now Connery fit this in a way, because though he was considered to be handsome, he wasn't "model" handsome. There was a dark, sardonic look about him, which is why when he was supposed to be cruel or cold, he was believable. Lazenby was an odd one. He was more classically "model" handsome like Brosnan and Moore, and could pull off a great fight scene, but could he be cruel or cold? His one film never game him the chance to show this. Dalton was like Connery. He's good looking but there is also something dark and sardonic about him which make him also believable when he played the ruthless card. Brosnan was sort of like Lazenby. He is classically "model"
    handsome, yet could do the rough stuff. However, his looks seemed to betray his ability at being cruel. I bought him at being efficient and calculating, but his looks always betrayed his seriousness to me. He just didn't look like he'd gone through years of physical abuse from his missions. Moore suffered from this in the worst way. Not only did his sunny, model good looks and total lack of war torn weariness leave him less convincing as Bond, his preference towards a more lightweight portrayal with the emphasis on more humor (even towards outright slapstick) really put the nail in the coffin. That is why when I watch him attempt to be ruthless in some scenes in his films, I do a double take and wonder, who is this guy and where did he suddenly come from? There was no balance to begin with, and throwing more weight on the ruthless side at times just made the whole effort seem out of kilter. Casting certain characters like Bond or Sherlock Holmes or Superman, etc., is a very tricky business. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes it's almost right, and other times it just does not fit.
    Mrs.Bryce wrote:

This thread is old and my have run it's course, but I'd still like to throw my two shillings in.

Having worked on some independent films in the past myself, I can best come at this topic from the point of view as a filmmaker. The problem I had with Moore's attempt at being ruthless in his films was the way his character was being played to his acting skills. Moore's basic qualifications for getting the Bond role was his stint as The Saint. If you watch the old B&W series, you see how the producers thought him a perfect fit for the role. He was tall, handsome, very fit, looked good in any wardrobe and was used to throwing the occasional punch. He also had the right accent and was at ease throwing out verbal puns. Perfect casting so far right? Here's where the problems arose -

Bond is described as being handsome by Fleming, but not in a model or leading man way, because their seems to be a hint of danger in his looks (the cheek scar added to this). Now Connery fit this in a way, because though he was considered to be handsome, he wasn't "model" handsome. There was a dark, sardonic look about him, which is why when he was supposed to be cruel or cold, he was believable. Lazenby was an odd one. He was more classically "model" handsome like Brosnan and Moore, and could pull off a great fight scene, but could he be cruel or cold? His one film never game him the chance to show this. Dalton was like Connery. He's good looking but there is also something dark and sardonic about him which make him also believable when he played the ruthless card. Brosnan was sort of like Lazenby. He is classically "model"
    handsome, yet could do the rough stuff. However, his looks seemed to betray his ability at being cruel. I bought him at being efficient and calculating, but his looks always betrayed his seriousness to me. He just didn't look like he'd gone through years of physical abuse from his missions. Moore suffered from this in the worst way. Not only did his sunny, model good looks and total lack of war torn weariness leave him less convincing as Bond, his preference towards a more lightweight portrayal with the emphasis on more humor (even towards outright slapstick) really put the nail in the coffin. That is why when I watch him attempt to be ruthless in some scenes in his films, I do a double take and wonder, who is this guy and where did he suddenly come from? There was no balance to begin with, and throwing more weight on the ruthless side at times just made the whole effort seem out of kilter. Casting certain characters like Bond or Sherlock Holmes or Superman, etc., is a very tricky business. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes it's almost right, and other times it just does not fit.

Thank you! I'm glad you posted, I understand a bit further as to why he seemed less believably ruthless. I agree with some of your points, particulalry about his good looks :))
    But I don't agree with some of the others.

Didn't Connery do some sort of modelling, just out of curiosity?

The humour may have been tailored to him, but it wasn't really a choice, for him, for the writer yes, but even then you could blame it more on the era. Having dark Bond in the 80's wasn't even that successful, let alone in the 70's. He did lighten it up, but I'm sure he didn't choose outrageous plots, the returning of characters that should have done one films, scripts filled with some stupid lines/puns or double taking pigeons. Can't be all blamed on him! :))

Thank you again! :)
    Mrs.Bryce wrote:

Sean Connery did do some modelling work for artists. He was a bodybuilder and competed in the Mr Universe contest in the early 1950's.

sean_connery_mr_universe_2.jpg
    Moore Than wrote:
    Mrs.Bryce wrote:

Sean Connery did do some modelling work for artists. He was a bodybuilder and competed in the Mr Universe contest in the early 1950's.

I thought so! I'm just glad he didn't go Arnold Shewrzeneiger on us; overly buff men lose anything they have in the sexy stakes! :))

sean_connery_mr_universe_2.jpg
    Mrs.Bryce wrote:
    Mrs.Bryce wrote:

Thank you! I'm glad you posted, I understand a bit further as to why he seemed less believably ruthless. I agree with some of your points, particulalry about his good looks :))

The humour may have been tailored to him, but it wasn't really a choice, for him, for the writer yes, but even then you could blame it more on the era. Having dark Bond in the 80's wasn't even that successful, let alone in the 70's. He did lighten it up, but I'm sure he didn't choose outrageous plots, the returning of characters that should have done one films, scripts filled with some stupid lines/puns or double taking pigeons. Can't be all blamed on him! :))

Yes, Connery did do some modeling, though as you can see it was for some bodybuilding images. He may have been able to do a bit of modeling, but due to his "look" he would have been limited, whereas Moore, Lazenby and Brosnan could have modeled in almost any ad.

As far as the humor in Moore's films not being his choice, that is true to a certain extent. However if your research the making of the films, you will find that the producers started doing more sillyness with DAF and then just continued it with the Moore films, because the writers found it easier to put in much lighter humor and slapstick because Moore carried it off so well. I don't think this would have happened if they had put in someone like Dalton or Brosnan (though they were too young then). The plots may have still been outrageous and had stupid lines, but I don't think they would have been as lightweighted. All of the actors except Lazenby did have some input as to how to play their characters to a certain extent, no matter how a script is finalized. It's a common thing to change things in a given scene when the actual shooting is being done, which is why when you have a really good actor its a godsend to the director and the writer when there has to be retakes and rewrites.
    Mrs.Bryce wrote:

Yes, Connery did do some modeling, though as you can see it was for some bodybuilding images. He may have been able to do a bit of modeling, but due to his "look" he would have been limited, whereas Moore, Lazenby and Brosnan could have modeled in almost any ad.

As far as the humor in Moore's films not being his choice, that is true to a certain extent. However if your research the making of the films, you will find that the producers started doing more sillyness with DAF and then just continued it with the Moore films, because the writers found it easier to put in much lighter humor and slapstick because Moore carried it off so well. I don't think this would have happened if they had put in someone like Dalton or Brosnan (though they were too young then). The plots may have still been outrageous and had stupid lines, but I don't think they would have been as lightweighted. All of the actors except Lazenby did have some input as to how to play their characters to a certain extent, no matter how a script is finalized. It's a common thing to change things in a given scene when the actual shooting is being done, which is why when you have a really good actor its a godsend to the director and the writer when there has to be retakes and rewrites.

The lighter tone of the films was set with Diamonds Are Forever. The producers were not going to risk making another OHMSS type Bond film at that time. Roger Moore has said that he had very little input other than changing a few lines. Therefore, I would suggest any changes regarding other actors such as Timothy Dalton, or even Burt Reynolds (who was apparently offered the role by Cubby) would have been minimal at best. After all, if you get silliness such as Japanese disguises and Blofeld in drag with Sean Connery in the role then why would it have been different for any other actor at that time?
  • DEFIANT 74205DEFIANT 74205 Perth, AustraliaPosts: 1,881MI6 Agent
    Moore Than wrote:
    The producers were not going to risk making another OHMSS type Bond film at that time.

What's that supposed to mean? OHMSS was a great film.

I agree with CmdrAtticus, specifically:
    Moore suffered from this in the worst way. Not only did his sunny, model good looks and total lack of war torn weariness leave him less convincing as Bond, his preference towards a more lightweight portrayal with the emphasis on more humor (even towards outright slapstick) really put the nail in the coffin. That is why when I watch him attempt to be ruthless in some scenes in his films, I do a double take and wonder, who is this guy and where did he suddenly come from? There was no balance to begin with, and throwing more weight on the ruthless side at times just made the whole effort seem out of kilter. Casting certain characters like Bond or Sherlock Holmes or Superman, etc., is a very tricky business. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes it's almost right, and other times it just does not fit.

I just don't find Roger Moore to be a believable Bond. I doubt very much someone that has seen as much action and has killed as many people as Bond actually has would be quite as jovial as Moore's Bond, nor did his appearance in any way convince me that he was James Bond, the guy that Fleming created, with a "cruel" mouth and looks dangerous. Connery and Dalton pulls off the "professional killer" look a lot better: Dalton, when he described Bond as a "problem eliminator"; and Connery, when Bond shot Professor Dent in the back, just to name two examples. It's not enough to simply go through the motions. Yes, Moore's Bond also kills people, but the way he does it is so vastly different from the way Fleming's Bond did.

Now, you might argue that it's the producers that decided to steer Bond into that direction - and you might be right, but you know what? I do not believe that had Dalton been Bond ahead of Moore, they wouldn't have done so, because being humourous - rightly or wrongly - is not something that Dalton has been particularly good at when he had played Bond. On the other hand, Moore does such a good job of it that it fits his version of the character down to a T. If the producers don't play to the actor's strengths, then the actors would look visibly uncomfortable in those roles and they wouldn't be making the best film possible.
    "Watch the birdie, you bastard!"
  • Agent SidewinderAgent Sidewinder Posts: 223MI6 Agent
    Moore Than wrote:
    The producers were not going to risk making another OHMSS type Bond film at that time.

Moore suffered from this in the worst way. Not only did his sunny, model good looks and total lack of war torn weariness leave him less convincing as Bond, his preference towards a more lightweight portrayal with the emphasis on more humor (even towards outright slapstick) really put the nail in the coffin. That is why when I watch him attempt to be ruthless in some scenes in his films, I do a double take and wonder, who is this guy and where did he suddenly come from? There was no balance to begin with, and throwing more weight on the ruthless side at times just made the whole effort seem out of kilter. Casting certain characters like Bond or Sherlock Holmes or Superman, etc., is a very tricky business. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes it's almost right, and other times it just does not fit.

I just don't find Roger Moore to be a believable Bond. I doubt very much someone that has seen as much action and has killed as many people as Bond actually has would be quite as jovial as Moore's Bond, nor did his appearance in any way convince me that he was James Bond, the guy that Fleming created, with a "cruel" mouth and looks dangerous. Connery and Dalton pulls off the "professional killer" look a lot better: Dalton, when he described Bond as a "problem eliminator"; and Connery, when Bond shot Professor Dent in the back, just to name two examples. It's not enough to simply go through the motions. Yes, Moore's Bond also kills people, but the way he does it is so vastly different from the way Fleming's Bond did.

Just to throw something out there, maybe Moore-Bond acts jovial because he's killed so many people? Humour and flippancy could well be his way of coping with the emotional burdens of the job, for all we know. The Hawkeye Pierce of MI6, if you will....
    Moore Than wrote:

Now, you might argue that it's the producers that decided to steer Bond into that direction - and you might be right, but you know what? I do not believe that had Dalton been Bond ahead of Moore, they wouldn't have done so, because being humourous - rightly or wrongly - is not something that Dalton has been particularly good at when he had played Bond. On the other hand, Moore does such a good job of it that it fits his version of the character down to a T. If the producers don't play to the actor's strengths, then the actors would look visibly uncomfortable in those roles and they wouldn't be making the best film possible.

On Her Majesty's Secret Service was seen as something of a disappointment at the time given it's lacklustre box office. United Artists and the producers decided the way forward was to lighten the tone of the films by including more humour and more action set pieces. This view was re-inforced when Diamonds Are Forever took almost twice as much at the box office. You could reasonably argue that a great deal of that extra box office was due to the return of Sean Connery but the dye was cast, the tone was set. There was no going back for the foreseeable future regardless of the actor who succeeded Connery. Any actor who succeeded him would have to adjust to the lighter tone as Connery himself had done in DAF.
    Nice try, Sidewinder! But no.
    Moore Than wrote:

Just to throw something out there, maybe Moore-Bond acts jovial because he's killed so many people? Humour and flippancy could well be his way of coping with the emotional burdens of the job, for all we know. The Hawkeye Pierce of MI6, if you will....
    edited March 2012
    Deleted
    I remember going to see DAF and was really depressed. They left Fleming's Bond in the 60's and decided to follow the "Austin Powers" vein of spoofing the whole series and character. Just keep remaking YOLT with larger spectacle and more explosions. From DAF through Moonraker, we kept getting the marketing of James Bond instead of the agent from the books. I blame the ignorant public mostly, because a good percentage of them never even read a Fleming novel and therefore unjustly increased the coffers of the film distributors and the production company.

They at least threw out the YOLT plot when they did LALD and gave Moore a good running start in the role, but why did they have to throw in the comedy sketches with Pepper and the Southern Keystone cops as well as Rosie Carver and the whole flying lesson scene? If they had kept these out LALD would have been much better. At least they toned it back down with Octopussy and FYEO, but then they came out with FAVTAK and went back to just remaking a pale Goldfinger knockoff. I thought Moore improved with these films as well as the writing, but by then he started showing his age and got less believable for me. It's a pity they did not follow LALD with FYEO then Octopussy and left TMWTGG, TSWLM and Moonraker for the future when maybe they would have been adapted closer to the novels instead of just "by the book" series of action set pieces.

That's rather harsh putting so much of the blame on to the ignorant public. After all, it was the ignorant public that created Bondmania and helped make the films so successful in the first place. The buck stopped with Broccoli & Saltzman, they ultimately decided on the tone of the films. The blame (if any) lay mostly with them.

Undoubtedly, the humour went too far on occasion during the Roger Moore era. There's no justification for the silliness of double take pigeons, Tarzan yells, Beach Boys etc. It's often forgotten that there was also a lot of good humour. And often forgotten that the silliness was not confined just to the Moore era.
  • RJJBRJJB United StatesPosts: 346MI6 Agent
    As a member of the ignorant public, I blame myself for spending any money to watch Roger Moore. He stunk up the screen in LALD, but i still went to see every one of his movies, multiple times. That speaks to the power of James Bond, but not Roger Moore. The greatness of the the first four movies and OHMSS is what always brought me back. A Bond movie was still a Bond movie. There was something special about them, even if the lead actor played someone besides James Bond. I had hope that things would improve. They finally did when Uncle Roger left the screen.

At this point, I ask myself what would it take for me NOT to see a new Bond movie. I realy can't think of anything that would keep me away.
    We're definitely on the same page, buddy! As much as I disliked the Roger Moore films, I saw every one in the movie theater, and I continued to go throughout the Dalton, Brosnan and Craig eras. Unless an unfortunate fate befalls me, I expect to be there for Skyfall and whatever (and whoever) follows. What can I say - I'm a true fan! :))
    RJJB wrote:
    As a member of the ignorant public, I blame myself for spending any money to watch Roger Moore. He stunk up the screen in LALD, but i still went to see every one of his movies, multiple times. That speaks to the power of James Bond, but not Roger Moore. The greatness of the the first four movies and OHMSS is what always brought me back. A Bond movie was still a Bond movie. There was something special about them, even if the lead actor played someone besides James Bond. I had hope that things would improve. They finally did when Uncle Roger left the screen.

At this point, I ask myself what would it take for me NOT to see a new Bond movie. I realy can't think of anything that would keep me away.