Eurovision Song Contest 2012

Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
This may come as something of a shock. Engelbert Humperdinck is to represent the UK at this years contest in Baku, Azerbaijan, on May 26. The singer said it was "an absolute honour" to be taking part and was "excited and raring to go". The song he will perform has yet to be announced but the BBC said it would be recorded in London, Los Angeles and Nashville.

The FULL article.
Engelbert Humperdinck is UK Eurovision act for 2012
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17222934
Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I think the UK has accepted that it's never goint to win again ( It's a bit of a joke, anyway)
    so why not, gives old Humperdinck a bit of publicity ( help to sell a few downloads, if his
    fans can work a computer ) :))
    I think Ireland are also going with Jedward again, adding to the Karaoke/Amateur Night
    feel of the competition.
    Just add in a few Nut cases desperate for some publicity and we'll get the usual top noch
    nights viewing. :#
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    Engelbert Humperdinck was a favourite of my dear late Mother. She would often play his records back in the day so I am very familiar with him. Not my type of music but I do really enjoy The Last Waltz.

It may be a case of nothing to lose. And maybe Humperdinck has long since past his prime but I am sure he is still admired and respected by many people inside and outside the music industry. I wish him all the best.
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Moore Than wrote:
    Not my type of music but I do really enjoy The Last Waltz.

A guilty pleasure of mine too ;% ;%

Not sure what to make of this at all. We've tried with a couple of serious entries recently which has led to nothing so what do we have to lose?

To be fair, not expecting much from Eurovision at all. Europe really dislikes us anyway and after a year of blocking/vetoes and sticking our tongue out at Angela and Nicholas all year, dont think the'll be inclined to be giving us 12 points :)) :)) :))
  • DaltonFan1DaltonFan1 The West of IrelandPosts: 503MI6 Agent
    Sadly the talentless fools known as Jedward get to bring further shame on irish culture.
    “Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to a better understanding of ourselves.” - Carl Jung
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,516Chief of Staff
    I think it's great we are putting Englebert in this year...he'll be the oldest contestant ever....I think this is way the UK should go for the next few years.... -{
    YNWA 97
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,270MI6 Agent
    Dame Vera could show them all a thing or two. Have two Spitfires up on stage, especially if Germany win this year... :D
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    It's a load of political arse sniffing if you ask me.

It's not about music, it's not even about entertainment, it's just who can lick who's twitter the most.
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,516Chief of Staff
    minigeff wrote:
    It's a load of political arse sniffing if you ask me.

It's not about music, it's not even about entertainment, it's just who can lick who's twitter the most.

I take it you won't be watching then, minigeff ? :D

And, just for the record...there is NOTHING wrong with twitter licking :D
    YNWA 97
    Unsurprisingly, the choice of Engelbert Humperdinck to represent the UK at this years contest has not been greeted with unanimous approval.

BBC hit by a Humper ding-dong
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2111325/Backlash-Engelbert-Humperdinck-choice-BBC-hit-complaints-UKs-Eurovision-entry.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

More surprisingly, Jason Donovan was approached and asked if he would be interested but declined the offer. "[I felt like] I was under a bit of a microscope, I didn't really want to go through that experience again. Also, it's such a big audience and there's such an incredible pressure. You get one chance, it's like being an athlete, really".

Jason Donovan Was Eurovision First Choice
    http://www.entertainmentwise.com/news/71186/Jason-Donovan-Was-UK-Eurovision-First-Choice
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I'd put my money on Germany winning as they now Own,
    Greece, Ireland , Spain, Portugal, and tell France what to do. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Engelbert Humperdinck will not be the only pensioner at this years contest in Azerbaijan. Folk group the "Buranovo Grannies" will compete in the first qualifying heat on May 22 following their success of winning a televised concert in Moscow to represent Russia. The six grandmothers beat 24 other acts. Click on the link below for the full article plus a sample of their song Party For Everybody.

Eurovision 2012: 'Buranovo Grannies' to represent Russia
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17297443
    Moore Than wrote:
    Engelbert Humperdinck will not be the only pensioner at this years contest in Azerbaijan. Folk group the "Buranovo Grannies" will compete in the first qualifying heat on May 22 following their success of winning a televised concert in Moscow to represent Russia. The six grandmothers beat 24 other acts. Click on the link below for the full article plus a sample of their song Party For Everybody.

Oh My Good Lord .... Grannies, Engelbert, Jedward ..... I'm going to need at least two bottles of wine to get though Eurovision this year .... :)) :))
    Lady Rose wrote:
    Moore Than wrote:

Oh My Good Lord .... Grannies, Engelbert, Jedward ..... I'm going to need at least two bottles of wine to get though Eurovision this year .... :)) :))

2 bottles?

2 barrels more like, 12 gauge
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    minigeff wrote:
    2 bottles?

article-0-1209211B000005DC-772_634x463.jpg

Delivery for Lady Rose !!!!!! -{ -{ -{
    Order one of those for me, Dear Lady. You can pay. -{ :D

Sweden will be represented by Loreen after she received the highest votes from both the juries and the Swedish viewers.

Preview of final plus result.
    http://www.eurovisionary.com/eurovision-news/melodifestivalen-2012-loreen-will-represent-sweden-2012-eurovision-song-contest

Click on the link below to see Loreen performing her winning song Euphoria.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abEMlJwEGnc&feature=player_embedded
    Moore Than wrote:

Will do :D

I'm really looking forward to Eurovision this year. It should be good fun. I like the more novelty acts. It's all got a bit serious lately ... Almost like a proper song contest :s
    Lady Rose wrote:
    Moore Than wrote:

Will do :D

I'm really looking forward to Eurovision this year. It should be good fun. I like the more novelty acts. It's all got a bit serious lately ... Almost like a proper song contest :s

I am also looking forward to Eurovision. There does appear to be more spice to this years contest. And to put everyone in party mood the Russian "Buranovo Grannies" can be seen performing their entry Party For Everybody in full below.

Buranovskiye Babushki - Party For Everybody
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAR9CqXQLFk&feature=player_embedded
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    Moore Than wrote:
    And to put everyone in party mood the Russian "Buranovo Grannies" can be seen performing their entry Party For Everybody in full below.

They could have gone one better to ensure 'douze points' from everyone within 1000 miles of their border...

http://youtu.be/JdcowE5qpxU

B-)

In all seriousness though (if that can be used in connection with Eurovision?) it does look like a return to bonkers form. As for the alcohol required, I'll be at a house warming/Eurovision party that weekend in Edinburgh, so there will be plenty :D
    unitedkingdom.png
    Moore Than wrote:
    And to put everyone in party mood the Russian "Buranovo Grannies" can be seen performing their entry Party For Everybody in full below.

They could have gone one better to ensure 'douze points' from everyone within 1000 miles of their border...

http://youtu.be/JdcowE5qpxU

B-)

In all seriousness though (if that can be used in connection with Eurovision?) it does look like a return to bonkers form. As for the alcohol required, I'll be at a house warming/Eurovision party that weekend in Edinburgh, so there will be plenty :D

:)) 'Nil points' Putin probably believes that he is the Russian version of Phil Collins.

I can see them coming into my lair tonight, oh Lord
    And I've been waiting for this moment all my life

To keep the party mood going (or not) here is the Bulgarian entry performed by Sofi Marinova.

Sofi Marinova - Love Unlimited
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2Y4QgLBsUw&feature=player_embedded#!
    Click on the link below to see how Jedward became Ireland's representatives at this years contest. Includes the voting from the juries and public plus Jedward performing their winning song Waterline.

Jedward - Waterline
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTz0WizbrL8&feature=related
  • Mr BeechMr Beech Florida, USAPosts: 1,749MI6 Agent
    Am I a jerk young American if I thought that name was a joke when I read it?

I had never heard of him before. Well, best of luck.
    Mr Beech wrote:

Well, we wouldn't want any confusion, Mr. Beech. It's not him but them. John and Edward (hence Jedward) Grimes are identical twins.

Jedward_1531117c.jpg
    Moore Than wrote:
    Mr Beech wrote:

Well, we wouldn't want any confusion, Mr. Beech. It's not him but them. John and Edward (hence Jedward) Grimes are identical twins.

Jedward_1531117c.jpg

Sadly, I know what a Jedward is. I was referring to Engelbert Humperdinck originally. :))
    Mr Beech wrote:
    Sadly, I know what a Jedward is. I was referring to Engelbert Humperdinck originally. :))

Confusion sorted. Engelbert Humperdinck is an unusual name. According to Wikipedia he was born Arnold George Dorsey. After a number of years struggling to become successful music impresario Gordon Mills suggested he change his name to Engelbert Humperdinck. The name was borrowed from the German (1854 - 1921) 19th century composer of operas such as Hansel and Gretel.

You learn something every day. :D
    Moore Than wrote:
    Mr Beech wrote:

Confusion sorted. Engelbert Humperdinck is an unusual name. According to Wikipedia he was born Arnold George Dorsey. After a number of years struggling to become successful music impresario Gordon Mills suggested he change his name to Engelbert Humperdinck. The name was borrowed from the German (1854 - 1921) 19th century composer of operas such as Hansel and Gretel.

You learn something every day. :D

Eddie Izzard has his own interpretation of how Engelbert Humperdinck got his name. And thinks he may be dead, or have a cold.

Izzard refers to Humperdinck as "Gerry Corsey" on numerous occasions. This was a nickname he was given by friends because of his impression of comedian Jerry Lewis. He performed under that name for a number of years.

Izzard v Humperdinck
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cgfELLyPu7g#!
    Mr Beech wrote:

Sadly, I know what a Jedward is.

I can't help but have a soft spot for the Grimes boys. They are intensely annoying but seem quite sweet and genuine.

And Mr Beech, no need to apologise for knowing who they are .... Even Barack Obama knows of Jedward :o
    Lady Rose wrote:
    Mr Beech wrote:

Sadly, I know what a Jedward is.

I can't help but have a soft spot for the Grimes boys. They are intensely annoying but seem quite sweet and genuine.

And Mr Beech, no need to apologise for knowing who they are .... Even Barack Obama knows of Jedward :o

I am only joking around a bit. They are a colorful duo, but I've seen them talk in videos and interviews and they seem nice and enjoyable. I don't have any active problems with them and certainly don't mind them getting success. -{
    Personally I'd enjoy seeing jedward go head first into a tree mulcher.

I enjoy fun, having a laugh and some good comedy any time, but I just don't see what these 2 bring to the table. Overly camp, famous for being ****, can't sing, can't dance, daft gimmick hairstyles, matching outfits, not a word of sense to say about anything and **** useless at being a human being.

Honestly, what do people see in them, hasn't the 'oh wow, look at us, yeah man' fad got a bit old now?
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Jedward last year was hilarious!

I felt really sad, that they did not win.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Bondtoys wrote:
    Jedward last year was hilarious!

I felt really sad, that they did not win.

They were just following their usual trend :v

Plus you'd like anything camped up :p
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org