Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2012

The draw for the running order at this years contest has not been kind to the UK. Engelbert Humperdinck will open the show. In recent years, the winner of the contest has always sung in the second half of the draw. The omens are not all bad though. The last time the UK was drawn first in the running order was 1976, when Brotherhood of Man brought home the trophy with Save All Your Kisses For Me.

The FULL article.
Eurovision 2012: Engelbert Humperdinck suffers setback
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-03- … rs-setback

http://s16.postimage.org/xhi3bpohd/Eurovision_2012_Engelbert_Humperdinck_suffers_setback.jpg

Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007)       Moore Than (2012 - 2013)

Eurovision torture - and we don't mean Jedwood on a tape loop

Bond: Mr. Mathis, there's something that's been worrying me...
Mathis: Yes?
Bond: Well, you're a French police inspector, yet you speak with an Italian accent.
Mathis: Mamma mia, it worries me, too.

I think Humperdinck will do well, but I still believe there is far too much politics at play with regards to the voting in this competition.

I don't know why the UK bothers with it anyway???
We put a load of money into it and get nothing back.  ajb007/insane

Best,
Ad

Regards,
Bondposters.com - FREE Poster Reference site.
Bondposters.co.uk - Buy James Bond posters and more here.
Signup for our FREE newsletter HERE

bondposters.com wrote:

I think Humperdinck will do well, but I still believe there is far too much politics at play with regards to the voting in this competition.

I don't know why the UK bothers with it anyway???
We put a load of money into it and get nothing back.  ajb007/insane

Best,
Ad

It's money well spent for me!!

I agree we don't stand a chance of actually winning as it is way too political and the quality of the song is totally irrelevant .

However, I've heard Engelberts song a few times now and quite it. Sounds good on the radio.

'Leave something of lasting worth to the world and your name will never be forgotten' - Anonymous

Lady Rose wrote:

However, I've heard Engelberts song a few times now and quite it. Sounds good on the radio.

While it's not my cup of tea at all, it's very (serious) Eurovision.  Very Balkan sounding, in fact.  The problem I have with it is that 20 seconds after it's finished, I can't remember what it sounds like.  And it's opening the show!  If I can't remember what it sounded like after 20 seconds, how are the 100 million voting-potential European viewers going to remember it after 90 minutes?

http://media.open2.net/flags/unitedkingdom.png

I always view the whole thing as a joke, Jedward, Jordan etc (did I imagine this in a perverse dream?)

Surprised Mr Blobby never appeared in the height of Blobby mania!

The Austrian's are keeping the bonkers spirit of Eurovision alive with their entry 'Woki Mit Deim Popo'. Translated it basically means shake your ar.. er bottom.  ajb007/biggrin

Trackshittaz - Woki Mit Deim Popo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKQf8Z5uWQ8

San Marino had to make changes as their original entry entitled 'Facebook, Uh, Oh, Oh' was found to be in breach of the contest rules.

The Reference Group concluded that due to the title and repetitive presence of the trademark 'Facebook' the original song contained a commercial message and was therefore not eligible to participate in the Eurovision Song Contest.

SMTV presented a revised version of the song, with a new version of the lyrics, and is now to be called 'The Social Network Song (OH OH - Uh - OH OH)'. San Marino will be 11th song in the running order in the First Semi-Final on the 22nd May in Baku.

The FULL article, plus Valentina Monetta performing The Social Network Song for San Marino.
http://www.eurovision.tv/page/news?id=4 … san_marino

Sabina Babayeva is representing the host nation Azerbaijan at this years contest. The song is called When The Music Dies. Will it be a contender?

Sabina Babayeva - When The Music Dies
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8ejpLyX … re=related

Engelbert Humperdinck is performing in Phoenix this weekend. In the article below he talks about Eurovision, his song 'Love Will Set You Free', his nerves before performing, and his hopes for the future.

"I jumped at the chance to represent my country. The BBC thought it would be good to have somebody with my experience to try and bring the trophy home. The whole thing is just wonderful. It's not the first time a person of my stature has done this, but it is a big deal."

The FULL article
Humperdinck talks Eurovision Song Contest in Phoenix
http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/mus … oenix.html

Engelbert Humperdinck has been getting into the spirit for his forthcoming Eurovision appearance by dressing up and recreating the rock star images of Alice Cooper, Elvis Presley, Liam Gallagher and Sid Vicious. Engelbert said, "It was a really fun shoot and a first for me. I like dressing up but this shoot took it to the next level."

The FULL article.
The Hump pays tribute to music legends
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/eurovision/p … ic-legends

http://static.bbc.co.uk/programmeimages/512xn/images/p00s8xft.jpg

Here is a video featuring Russia's Buranovo Grannies as they arrive in Moscow for final rehearsals. Europe, watch out.

Age no barrier for Eurovision 2012
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18044209

Have you heard of the Intervision Song Contest? I had not before reading the long and detailed article below which charts the history and includes comments from performers.

The Soviet Union could not take part in the Eurovision Song Contest. It was not a member of the European Broadcasting Union, the club of western broadcasters that organised the show, so it set up a rival competition and called it Intervision.

The Cold War rival to Eurovision
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18006446

Engelbert Humperdinck is feeling confident as he sets off for Baku. "I think it (Love Will Set You Free) has a very strong chance because it was written by two very good people, Sacha Scarbek, an Ivor Novello-winning writer, and Martin Terefe, who's a great producer and a great writer." Humperdinck also answers critics who have voiced concern about his age, amongst other things.

Eurovision 2012: Engelbert Humperdinck says 'I have a great chance'
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvan … hance.html

Da da da dum! It's time for the first Eurovision Song Contest semi final. Da da da dum! Lots of flashing lights, waving flags, and scantily clad women. Is that Albanian woman singing or giving birth? More flashing lights, waving flags, and scantily clad women with fluorescent butts pole dancing, Woki Mit Deim Popo! Russian grannies, Colin Farrell in a lumberjack outfit singing for Moldova, Jedward in their tin man outfits getting wet. Da da da dum!

And finally, Sara Cox. Are we on? Are we on?... Jedward, hi I love you...Hi Jedward, is that you?...Yo! Yo! Yo! Jedward... Lovely stuff, excellent, lovely stuff.

In case you are wondering. These are the ten countries through to Saturday's final.
Romania, Moldova, Iceland, Hungary, Denmark, Albania, Cyprus, Greece, Russia, Ireland.

Sad Austria didn't get through.  ajb007/crap  great song.
as for the Programe, It was like watching a Bad school TV media exercise, Very Amateurish.
Not what I expect from the BBC.
Love the Russian Grannies, I'd never heard them Before.   ajb007/martini

1, OHMSS.  2,CR.   3, LTK.  4, FRWL.  5, Skyfall.

Thunderpussy wrote:

Not what I expect from the BBC.

No, but it's what we expect from Eurovision  ajb007/wink

Russian Grannies .... What can I say? My life is complete ... Utterly fabulous  ajb007/lol

Last edited by Lady Rose (23rd May 2012 13:20)

'Leave something of lasting worth to the world and your name will never be forgotten' - Anonymous

Thunderpussy wrote:

Sad Austria didn't get through.  ajb007/crap  great song.

And an even better group name - Trackshittaz  ajb007/lol

I thought the Russian grannies were pushing it a bit - even for Eurovision !  ajb007/rolleyes  ajb007/lol

Aevo rarissima nostro simplicitas
The higher the monkey climbs the more you can see its arse

YNWA: Justice For The 96

Erm, what's this? Does this mean the UK won't even be appearing in the show then and that the Hump has been Dumped? Is this a new way of doing Eurovision, whittling it down in advance?

Bond: Well, you're a French police inspector, yet you speak with an Italian accent.

Napoleon Plural wrote:

Erm, what's this? Does this mean the UK won't even be appearing in the show then and that the Hump has been Dumped? Is this a new way of doing Eurovision, whittling it down in advance?

They have done it this way for a few years now...and the UK - along with Italy, Spain, Germany & France - get automatic qualification as they stump up most of the money !

The Hump is on first on Saturday....gives him a chance to get to bed with his Horlicks at a decent time  ajb007/lol

Hmmm, bearing in mind the BBC is licensed by tax payers money I'm surprised this is one handout the Tories aren't looking into a bit more... we fork out for them to give us 'nul' points.

Hump's single has dropped out of the charts already, peaking at around his age I understand.

Napoleon Plural wrote:

Hmmm, bearing in mind the BBC is licensed by tax payers money I'm surprised this is one handout the Tories aren't looking into a bit more... we fork out for them to give us 'nul' points.

What !!  ajb007/amazed  And have the rest of Europe hate us ???

Ah...right...yes...  ajb007/lol

Sir Miles wrote:

What !!  ajb007/amazed  And have the rest of Europe hate us ???

Ah...right...yes...  ajb007/lol

Could you imagine if we had to do the qualifying rounds ??? We'd never see another final - EVER!

As far as I'm concerned it's money well spent. A least we always feel like we're in with a chance just cos we're in the final .  ajb007/biggrin

The Hump being on first at least allows us to just sit back and enjoy the show and forget his song like the rest of Europe will  ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol

Was surprised Austria didn't get through but at least it left a vacancy for the woman with the birds nest on her head !!!  ajb007/amazed

Lady Rose wrote:

Was surprised Austria didn't get through but at least it left a vacancy for the woman with the birds nest on her head !!!  ajb007/amazed

This is purely speculation on my part. They didn't qualify because much of the audience in Eastern Europe (in particular) did not take kindly to seeing scantily clad women with fluorescent butts doing pole dancing......Then again, it could be they just didn't like the song. 

I liked the song, bonkers Eurovision style. ajb007/insane

Lady Rose wrote:

As far as I'm concerned it's money well spent.

And for me too...and that's rare nowadays  ajb007/lol

Lady Rose wrote:

A least we always feel like we're in with a chance just cos we're in the final .  ajb007/biggrin

And we can't get beat on penalties  ajb007/biggrin