Fleming vs Bond (bow-tie)

icsics Posts: 1,413MI6 Agent
Fleming vs Bond (bow-tie)

To all you Bond clothe freaks I have a question you might have an answer for…

If the rumors about Bond being the fantasy man of Fleming and a mirror… same habits in food etc…

Why is there a bow-tie difference – all photos of Fleming has him having bow-tie on (just try and google him) and NON of the old SC has him having bow-tie on… only when he is in tux… is that the influence in TY or ????

2565.jpg

2010-01-15-14-52-Peter-dr_no1_s.jpg

Pesach sameach leculam

Comments

• Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    That was Fleming's decision. Fleming put Bond in a black knit tie, which is probably less conspicuous for a spy. In the films, Connery wore knit ties throughout Goldfinger and one in You Only Live Twice. George Lazenby wore mostly knit ties. Moore, Dalton and Brosnan all wore a knit tie at least once. But they never wore a bow-tie outside of black tie, keeping true with Fleming's Bond.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • icsics Posts: 1,413MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    That was Fleming's decision. Fleming put Bond in a black knit tie, which is probably less conspicuous for a spy. In the films, Connery wore knit ties throughout Goldfinger and one in You Only Live Twice. George Lazenby wore mostly knit ties. Moore, Dalton and Brosnan all wore a knit tie at least once. But they never wore a bow-tie outside of black tie, keeping true with Fleming's Bond.

Thanks Matt makes sense… But why the “#¤%&/( did Fleming always wear a bow-tie ??? Normal at the time ??? and fun how the bow-tie has disappeared from the “normal” todays clothe.
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,774MI6 Agent
    edited April 2012
    Oh, I had always thought that daywear bows were not used for Bond as to keep it a wardrobe ident for M!
    In the same way that Bond is never seen wearing tweed or dogtooth style suits, or three piece when around Q. (See Goldfinger for example) - again because that was the signature style of Mr Llewellyn as his character.

My Grandad had a formidable arsenal of bow ties and cravats alongside more contemporary style ties. He was the same generation as Mr Fleming and had a similar approach to style, esp his suits and accessories. - I learned a fair bit from him in this regard!

The daywear bow has come back a little in trendy fashion circles ICS, of course that has trends like skinny ties and drainpipe jeans. For me personally, I see the bow as a signature of eveningwear. It just seems to work!
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    you would look good in a bow Ian :D
    danjaq_0ff wrote:
    you would look good in a bow Ian :D

Just a quick anecdote – while attending gala dinner at a medical symposium in brazil I was the only one with a bow-tie on – all looked and nodded… later in the night a guy I have been working with at the Sanger institute said to me “nice bow-tie…now in 4 years when the symposium is in Glasgow will you wear a kilt” lol

ones i get the photos i will show you Peter
    I have always been told that black tie events meant bow tie, it usually says so on the invitation, not that I have been to many :))
    danjaq_0ff wrote:
    I have always been told that black tie events meant bow tie, it usually says so on the invitation, not that I have been to many :))

Ohhhh Peter… if you ever do don’t use one of these pre-made with an awful rubber stick in the back…. :s
  • nms75nms75 United KingdomPosts: 1,233MI6 Agent
    I went to a black tie event several weeks ago and yes - black tie means a bowtie even if the bowtie you opt for isn't black! To add to the confusion people seem to wear normal black ties now to black tie events with all sorts of weired and wonderful takes on dinner suits. However, I personally don't think you can beat the traditional black bowtie and dinner suit look.
    A sense of humour is no laughing matter!
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,774MI6 Agent
    nms75 wrote:
    I went to a black tie event several weeks ago and yes - black tie means a bowtie even if the bowtie you opt for isn't black! To add to the confusion people seem to wear normal black ties now to black tie events with all sorts of weired and wonderful takes on dinner suits. However, I personally don't think you can beat the traditional black bowtie and dinner suit look.

Couldn't agree more. The God awful mess that some guys wear is partially Hollywood's fault, those who are slaves of fashion, and those who haven't a clue. Some people think its clever to try to re-invent the wheel, when it just makes them look stupid, if not ignorant in the terms of etiquette. The more understated and classic black tie is, the more powerful and classy it is. Tom Ford (the man himself not his labels for once) is a good example of this, he always wears black tie correctly, even with a slight twist!
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • mpoplawskimpoplawski New Jersey, USAPosts: 128MI6 Agent
    Yes, black tie is a bow tie. Remember that the dinner suit (or "Tux" for some) is meant for after 6 PM, to include the bow tie. To wear a long tie with the dinner jacket is just wrong, especially after 6 PM. Before 6 you would wear a morning suit. However look at Lazenby's outfit during his wedding in "On Her Majesty's Secret Service." That is a strolling suit (I think that is the name of it). It fits between a dinner suit and a morning suit and is worn with a long tie. The advantage is that it can be worn anytime during the day, and if you want some non-black tie, like a silver gray/blue it can be done. I advise friends to go with that for weddings instead of some ugly hacked together "tuxedo" that would make James Bond choke on his caviar.
    Bond: "But who would want to kill me, sir?"
    M: "Jealous husbands, outraged chefs, humiliated tailors . . . the list is endless."
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    I remember reading somewhere that Fleming favored the navy blue bow tie with white polka dots because that is what Winston Churchill favored. Back in my New England prep school days, I wore a lot of "to be tied" bow ties including the Fleming/Churchill favorite. I still have them and wear them occasionally during family functions. I've always loved the bow tie.

DG
    So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
    Was going to pesach yesterday with bowtie…. But my wife wouldn’t allow me….Hummm she said I look like an old professor – hey I am a scientist lol

Looked more or less like this : lol

ToD-tie.jpg
    Didn't you get a pic :D