What would you think of this guy as James Bond?

ExCellExCell Posts: 4MI6 Agent
Don-Draper.gif

Comments

• Mr BeechMr Beech Florida, USAPosts: 1,749MI6 Agent
    ExCell wrote:
    Don-Draper.gif

Mad Men is one of my favorite shows, but I don't think of him as Bond, really. I guess he has a classic gentleman look, but I feel like his American appeal makes a disconnect that leaves him more potential to be an American counterpart or something.

He is just too damn Don Draper for me to imagine him in British accent as Bond.
  • 7700777007 Posts: 502MI6 Agent
    Can you imagine the outrage of an American! playing Bond!

Probably would have a horrible Madonna like British accent, if they didn't try to reboot the whole thing as an American secret agent.
  • ExCellExCell Posts: 4MI6 Agent
    77007 wrote:

Probably would have a horrible Madonna like British accent, if they didn't try to reboot the whole thing as an American secret agent.

You are right about the outrage, but it just makes me think what a double standard there is in film. We wouldn't stand for an American playing Bond, but we have no problems with a Brit playing Batman.
  • HalconHalcon Zen TemplePosts: 486MI6 Agent
    if an american was given a shot and he did great it wouldnt matter, but he needs to be given a shot.

i think this guy could pull it off.
    ExCell wrote:
    77007 wrote:

You are right about the outrage, but it just makes me think what a double standard there is in film. We wouldn't stand for an American playing Bond, but we have no problems with a Brit playing Batman.

For me, it isn't about his nationality, but rather the associations with his nationality. I guess for some odd reason, Jon Hamm being known to me in a depiction of an American period drama makes him have ties with all these things that I associate with classic America and such.

Batman doesn't scream America to me because he is in a generic US city in a lifestyle that revolves around some international and local vigilanteism and a lifestyle that seems pretty detached from the average person. It just doesn't seem that odd for Christian Bale to be him.

Don Draper is THE American Gentleman in my mind and he looks and sounds like Jon Hamm...
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,270MI6 Agent
    Women seem to love him, to me he seems bland though I enjoy him as Draper. I don't warm to him though, but Craig isn't a Bond I warm to yet either. Some prefer the more detatched approach, like they're not Bond when he's up on screen, but watching another guy with interest.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent
    He looks ok. I'm not familiar with his work though. I'm not bothered any more by a yank playing Bond. As long as they're good in the role. We've had an Aussie, a scot and an Irishman. What's the difference? The whole Bond machine is American anyway.
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com
  • 7700777007 Posts: 502MI6 Agent
    To me he's nobody. I don't watch Mad Men. I tried watching a random episode one week to see what the fuss was all about. Got bored not even half way through and tuned out. I remember him more in comedy stuff if I think of his work at all.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    So long as he drinks Heineken, He'll be ok. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    He certainly has the look and perhaps if he could do an impeccable British accent he would be a decent Bond. But since I have seen him in Mad Men, as well as his comedic turns on Saturday Night Live, it would be difficult for me to watch him as 007 without thinking, "Hey, there's Jon Hamm pretending to be James Bond!"
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Does not pout enough.
  • hegottheboothegottheboot USAPosts: 327MI6 Agent
    Nope. I always thought Jason Issacs would be great, but he does look a bit like Dalton.
  • NashNash Posts: 6MI6 Agent
    I think Hamm could play Bond well. In the hands of the right producers and director of course. Fat chance of that, however.
  • xxxxxxxx Posts: 20MI6 Agent
    tumblr_llbdq7KwjQ1qjwq0ro1_500.jpg

289378172167182.jpg

Next-James-Bond_Michael-Fassbender.jpg

This should be the next james Bond.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,765MI6 Agent
    Yes, if DC quits after Bond 24 or 25. After that he will be to old.
  • SpectreBlofeldSpectreBlofeld AroundPosts: 364MI6 Agent
    I love Mad Men, but man, Don Draper's character is one of the most lethargic characters on television! It feels like 30% of his screen time is him being groggy. Don Draper wakes up on the couch in his office when a secretary knocks on the door... Don Draper falling asleep in bed while his wife talks to him... etc. It's hard to imagine him running, jumping, shooting, etc. after five seasons of watching him be extremely lazy. :)
  • zaphodzaphod Posts: 1,183MI6 Agent
    xxxx wrote:
    tumblr_llbdq7KwjQ1qjwq0ro1_500.jpg

289378172167182.jpg

Next-James-Bond_Michael-Fassbender.jpg

This should be the next james Bond.

Good actor, just not sure that I see him as Bond...oh no here we go again...let's wait until DC bails shall we?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I think he'd make a great Bond, sadly as DC needs Bond more than ever, as his own work
    doesn't seem to be too popular with cinema audiences, ( AS I predicted long ago ) DC will
    end up as one of the longest actors to play Bond. I think they'll have to drag the character
    from his "Cold dead hands" :)) .
    This should keep his Fans happy for many years to come :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    I think he'd make a great Bond, sadly as DC needs Bond more than ever, as his own work
    doesn't seem to be too popular with cinema audiences, ( AS I predicted long ago ) DC will
    end up as one of the longest actors to play Bond. I think they'll have to drag the character
    Feels like like that now TP.
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Easy, TP..........
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."

He strikes me as a potential hybrid Bond. Somewhere between DC and the classic conception, possibly skewed towards the DC end of the spectrum. I have not seen much of his work, but from what I have done I wonder if he has the gravitas ? Probably a moot point as the mould has already been well and truly broken. For me he is unlikely to appeal to DC fans, or those like me that would prefer a return in appearance at least, to the tall, dark and handsome archetype.

I wonder what the ladies think ?
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,270MI6 Agent
    Ladies schmadies.

He wouldn't do Bond, he's already got a career.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Ladies schmadies.

He wouldn't do Bond, he's already got a career.

True Dat . Would still like to know what they think though. DC has a very vocal and committed band of female supporters, and the media is awash with his 'buff-ness' not heard anything much about Fassbinder from that angle
  • Richard--WRichard--W USAPosts: 200MI6 Agent

No.

He's a fine actor, but NO.

There's no James Bond in him.

The character should be played by an Englishman because his Englishness is so much a part of who and what he is.

Richard
    The top 7 Bond films: 1) Dr No. 2) From Russia With Love. 3) Thunderball. 4) On Her Majesty's Secret Service. 5) For Your Eyes Only. 6) The Living Daylights. 7) Licence to Kill.
  • Agent SidewinderAgent Sidewinder Posts: 223MI6 Agent
    Richard--W wrote:

No.

The character should be played by an Englishman because his Englishness is so much a part of who and what he is.

Richard

I had no idea Connery, Lazenby and Brosnan were English. Thanks for enlightening me, Rick.

I think he could be a decent Bond if he could pull off the accent, and that's kind of a big "if". Though maybe he's too well-known these days....?
    Richard--W wrote:

No.

Richard

Well, he has been played by non-Englishmen more than once. Heck, his iconic start was thanks to Scotsman Sean Connery.

I'd be okay with a Jon Hamm Felix.
  • ArdeeArdee Posts: 18MI6 Agent
    If Lazenby was put into a speech training course to closely 'keep his British end up', put this mad man into some screen tests to fulfill curiosity. I think Jon Hamm has the look of harshness in his face to portray the brooding, miserable sod that Flemming wrote of, and he has the looks too (Unlike Craig, who's all brood and misery).

But he really has more of a 60s feel to him, a bias from his renowned AMC show of course, so placing him as Bond as we know Bond know would feel retro-fitted and disconnected. Which might not be such a bad thing, the stiffness in walking that Connery had and the old ways of treating women, along with spanking, would be interesting to say the least to be shown in the modernized Bond universe.
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,742MI6 Agent
    Just to put a little simple perspective on all this......Jon Hamm, Michael Fassbender, and all the others we project as possible Bonds are "actors". When they perform a role they get into charactor. Michael Fassbender is a very good actor, I'm sure he could pull off a convincing Bond. Sometimes the "actors" we see as being "perfect" for Bond may just look the part but they also need the ability to convincingly portray Bond and make the part their own (as Craig has whether you love or loath him).
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    Nope. I always thought Jason Issacs would be great....

Agreed. Anyone here been watching Isaac's in his latest show 'Awake'? Brilliant series - although his Amercian accent is a bit dodgy - but my God he's gorgeous. :x (Always thought that... but only recently have I pictured him as a very Fleming/traditional Bond....)

ustv_awake_jason_isaacs.jpg
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,765MI6 Agent
    Jason Issacs could have made a good Bond in Goldeneye. But now he is 49 and far too old to get the part.