What is the best Bond Car for year around driving?

SilentSpySilentSpy Private Exotic AreaPosts: 765MI6 Agent
I love the scene in The Living Daylights when Q tells Bond that they are "winterizing" the Aston Martin. I like it so much that I've always wanted a sports coupe/GT that I can drive year around. I have yet to find a true Bond car that meets my requirements. The car would have to be AWD. I think you can only get so far with rear wheel drive and snow tires or chains. Although, front wheel drive is good in the snow it's not very sporting in the summer months.

I hope Aston Martin doesn't let me down with their coming 100 year anniversary car. But spy shots lead me to believe that they are sticking to the same business plan. I hope I'm wrong and the shots are just that of the DBS or DB9 successor.

I love the Jaguar C-X16/F-Type but I don't think this car will get an AWD system. Plus any sports car that has openings on the hood I believe will be a nightmare when the snow comes down. So, it's off my list for year around driving.

Right now, even though it isn't Bond's style, I'm thinking that the coming Porsche 911 Carrera 4 might be the best. I never really wanted a Porsche until now. The interior on the 991 911 is beautiful. Porsche is really trying to differentiate the interiors as much as they can while still using similar setups. Unlike Aston Martin who just uses the same interior on almost all their cars. The rear end of the Porsche is also amazing. Probably one of the best rears I've ever seen on a car. For the first time a 911 really interests me.

Any car I'm missing?
"Better late than never."

Comments

• HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Silent Spy

Why do you need an AWD?
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • SilentSpySilentSpy Private Exotic AreaPosts: 765MI6 Agent
    Bondtoys wrote:
    Silent Spy

Why do you need an AWD?

Snow driving. I'm a good driver but I think AWD is probably ideal. But even AWD can't save crazy driving in the snow.
  • jimmybondijimmybondi ShrublandsPosts: 328MI6 Agent
    Two words: Lotus Esprit...
    :))
    gez.
    Jimmybondi

007fyeoturboespritbronz.jpg
    There was a time when I wanted the Lotus Esprit S4S. Roger Moore made the Lotus cool.
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    Unless its real bad, AWD isn't really needed, but I dunno where in the world you are.

Anyways, here's a car that meets your needs;

3994651239_9473a4d2f4_z.jpg
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • The Bond VivantThe Bond Vivant SeendPosts: 1,325MI6 Agent
    How about a Bentley Continental GT? It was Bond's choice in Carte Blanche, and harks back to Fleming's original marque of choice. It's also AWD. It's not my ideal car - a bit too ubiquitous and smacks of premiership footballer, but it fulfills your criteria to a tee.
  • Le SamouraiLe Samourai Honolulu, HIPosts: 573MI6 Agent
    I'm a longtime Saab fan. I've driven them in blizzards in Washington, D.C. and tropical storms in Honolulu. The company, alas, is no more, but there are plenty of pre-owned Saabs out there, often selling for very little.

Here's a great article on Bond and Saab:
    http://commanderbond.net/2284/the-silver-beast.html
    —Le Samourai

A Gent in Training.... A blog about my continuing efforts to be improve myself, be a better person, and lead a good life. It incorporates such far flung topics as fitness, self defense, music, style, food and drink, and personal philosophy.
    Agent In Training
  • 00730073 COPPosts: 977MI6 Agent
    I'm a longtime Saab fan. I've driven them in blizzards in Washington, D.C. and tropical storms in Honolulu. The company, alas, is no more, but there are plenty of pre-owned Saabs out there, often selling for very little.

I have to agree!

Living in a country where 3/4 of driving happens on the snow, my experience is that AWD is always unpredictable. What you want is front wheel drive, made (I'm sad to say) in Sweden :)) If Bond connection is important then Saab it is....
    "I mean, she almost kills bond...with her ass."
    -Mr Arlington Beech
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Long time Saab fan and current Saab owner here as well.......
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,704MI6 Agent
    Bondtoys wrote:
    Long time Saab fan and current Saab owner here as well.......

Me too! I own a Saab 900. It isn`t silver (or bullet-like), but it is a very good winter car.
  • Rainier WolfcastleRainier Wolfcastle Posts: 484MI6 Agent
    Is this the Saab Owners Anonymous meeting?

"Hello, my name is Rainier and I have owned three Saab turbos." - "Hello Rainier."

Unfortunately I didn't know that Bond was driving one in the Gardner novels, as I had a silver '83 900 3-door turbo (with the TRX wheels just like the Bond car in the Saab museum). Guess I would have cared more for the car and it would not have had a "pressing engagement" like Goldfinger's Continental.

0073 wrote:
    made (I'm sad to say) in Sweden
    ... and Finland - I had a Saab from Valmet in Uusikaupunki (I love those finnish names :) )

Too bad they didn't produce a single car since 2002 that I would like to own. For me Saab died ten years ago when the new 9-3 was no longer available as a 3-door coupe.
  • Le SamouraiLe Samourai Honolulu, HIPosts: 573MI6 Agent

"Hello, my name is Rainier and I have owned three Saab turbos." - "Hello Rainier."

Unfortunately I didn't know that Bond was driving one in the Gardner novels, as I had a silver '83 900 3-door turbo (with the TRX wheels just like the Bond car in the Saab museum). Guess I would have cared more for the car and it would not have had a "pressing engagement" like Goldfinger's Continental.

0073 wrote:
    made (I'm sad to say) in Sweden
    ... and Finland - I had a Saab from Valmet in Uusikaupunki (I love those finnish names :) )

Too bad they didn't produce a single car since 2002 that I would like to own. For me Saab died ten years ago when the new 9-3 was no longer available as a 3-door coupe.

Total agreement with that last line. The "SportCombi" wagon never had the same appeal as the classic hatchbacks. I have a 2000 5-door, and will drive it until it dies.
    —Le Samourai

A Gent in Training.... A blog about my continuing efforts to be improve myself, be a better person, and lead a good life. It incorporates such far flung topics as fitness, self defense, music, style, food and drink, and personal philosophy.
    Agent In Training
    whats the saab that looks like dame edna everage?
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent
    I think the DBS or the new Virage. A bit more room in the back with that one. Too much to hope he'll get behind the wheel of the 1-77.

I like the Jaguar XKR-S as well.

I don't see the Porsche 911 as Bond's car.
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com
    How about a Bentley Continental GT? It was Bond's choice in Carte Blanche, and harks back to Fleming's original marque of choice. It's also AWD. It's not my ideal car - a bit too ubiquitous and smacks of premiership footballer, but it fulfills your criteria to a tee.

I didn't know that the Bentley is AWD. But I don't like the interior that much. It doesn't have the feel of a car I could spend long journeys in.

I remember the Saab in the Gardner Bond novels. Especially the scenes in Icebreaker. I was hoping Saab would come out with something cool since they had Jason Castriota designing cars. He worked on two of the most beautiful modern cars. The Ferrari 599 and Maserati Gran Turismo. But I guess Saab is just about finished now.
  • SpectreBlofeldSpectreBlofeld AroundPosts: 364MI6 Agent

Just to chime in... I've owned five :) Three 900-series and two 9000 (still have a 9000 Aero).

Daily driver is a Jaguar XJ8 though.

As to the topic at hand... I kinda get the sense, SilentSpy, that you're eyeballing 2-door coupes?
    As to the topic at hand... I kinda get the sense, SilentSpy, that you're eyeballing 2-door coupes?

I don't believe Bond would ever drive a four door car! I couldn't believe the producers thought it was ok for Bond to use the 7 Series BMW in TND. At least it ended up trashed.

Anyway, I'm always looking for a year around 2 door sports coupe. It seems like such an easy concept to get right. I thought that the Aston Martin V8 Vantage would be the car since it was supposed to be a rival for the 911. But it turned out to be just a small DB9 for the most part. The Porsche really seems like the tool watch version of a car. If the 991 is reliable as the old ones are said to be, the car could be perfect. I think it has to be reliable since you need to remove the whole rear end to get to the engine. I don't think many will put up with expensive repairs on something like that.
    SilentSpy wrote:

I don't believe Bond would ever drive a four door car! I couldn't believe the producers thought it was ok for Bond to use the 7 Series BMW in TND. At least it ended up trashed.

Anyway, I'm always looking for a year around 2 door sports coupe. It seems like such an easy concept to get right. I thought that the Aston Martin V8 Vantage would be the car since it was supposed to be a rival for the 911. But it turned out to be just a small DB9 for the most part. The Porsche really seems like the tool watch version of a car. If the 991 is reliable as the old ones are said to be, the car could be perfect. I think it has to be reliable since you need to remove the whole rear end to get to the engine. I don't think many will put up with expensive repairs on something like that.

I'd go for the Aston. The Porsche will undoubtedly be the better car in so many ways, but that winged badge is pretty special and non-car spectators couldn't give a stuff about another 911, but an Aston? There's nothing like turning up somewhere in one. I owned a DB7 for a while and it was amazing. Dynamically, it wasn't up there with the old 944 Turbo I once had, but it was a very special experience. I spent £30k buying it, and half that again mending annoying faults. Finally, it had to go or bankrupt me. Family came along, and I now have an M5 (e60, 5 litre V10, 507bhp), which gives DBS performance, but with loads of room, and boot-space. It's a very special car, but the looks don't do much for me. I'm convincing my wife to trade her Mini in for and suv, then we'll have family space. And then that four/five year old DB9 is calling me....
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

I'd go for the Aston. The Porsche will undoubtedly be the better car in so many ways, but that winged badge is pretty special and non-car spectators couldn't give a stuff about another 911, but an Aston? There's nothing like turning up somewhere in one. I owned a DB7 for a while and it was amazing. Dynamically, it wasn't up there with the old 944 Turbo I once had, but it was a very special experience. I spent £30k buying it, and half that again mending annoying faults. Finally, it had to go or bankrupt me. Family came along, and I now have an M5 (e60, 5 litre V10, 507bhp), which gives DBS performance, but with loads of room, and boot-space. It's a very special car, but the looks don't do much for me. I'm convincing my wife to trade her Mini in for and suv, then we'll have family space. And then that four/five year old DB9 is calling me....

I remember you telling me something about that DB7 in an older thread. I still want an Aston Martin. I want the DB5 more than any modern Aston Martin so that's pretty telling that a car from the 60s is better than the modern cars. At least to me. If Aston Martin at least tried to make something of a different interior for their cars and they weren't all so similar I would be interested in their current lineup. Maybe they will with the next generation. Afterall, the Porsche Boxster was nothing but a baby 911 for a generation or two. The Cayman, which shouldn't even be considered a new model is a Boxster coupe. I still have hopes for a modern Aston. But for year around ability I think they need AWD. Many cars have AWD now. Look at the new Ferrari FF.

If we're talking pure sports car right now, I prefer the Jaguar F-Type to the Astons. Plus, it will be cheaper. I seriously hope Aston Martin have some special cars in the works because almost every other luxury sports car company is ahead right now. Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, McLaren, and Jaguar are all bringing out really special models.
    edited May 2012
    I guess the AWD depends on where you are. For the most part AWD would be handy for about a week every year in the south west of England where I live. What's far more important are the use of winter tyres. With good winter tyres, with smaller rims, most rear or front wheel drive vehicles manage very well, especially after a few cars have cut their way through the snow and the grit has started to melt it. Stability and traction aids are excellent on most new vehicles, and I've pushed hard through heavy wet and frosty conditions in my M5 - certainly at speeds which would have been suicidal in cars I owned ten or fifteen years ago.
    I've used two Porsche 997's on a track. The rearwheel drive Careera 2 was slower on paper, and on lap times than the Careera 4 (I'm not sure, but I think the 4 had more power and another .2 litres) but the 2 felt so much more alive. We're not talking seconds, merely 1/2 a second or so a lap, but the 4 felt like running in welly boots. It wasn't for me. Especially when we were able to do some controlled slides. Great cars both though.
    I love the modern Aston interiors. I don't like the Power, Beauty, Soul rubbish that came on in the V8 I looked at, but they all looked a little different to me - especially the use of bamboo in the DB9. I was surprised who small the V8 was though. And they've had to up the power and engine in the standard car, which means they didn't get it right first time, and everyone knows it. What's more they know a ten year old 911 will out drive it! :#
    I can't wait to start looking for a nice DB9. It's down on power to the M5, but I imagine the weight factor would even it up a touch. Hopefully I'll find one of the later manual shifts, because I'm over the whole paddle/auto thing. My wife needs to get an suv first though - but I'm working on her...

• hegottheboothegottheboot USAPosts: 327MI6 Agent
    I love the Esprit, but would have to agree that the best choice for all around all condition driving would be the Saab 900 Turbo. I've wanted one for years since reading For Special Services.
    We get Top Gear late over here. But they tested the new Ferrari FF vs the Bentley Continental in the snow in the recent episode. The Bentley came out on top but Jeremy Clarkson said that they both aren't driver's cars and if he needed a car to go in the snow and extra seats he would take a Range Rover. I'm trying to avoid that as it's definitely not a Bond car. Although they do make a Range Rover Evoque coupe. I just can't bring myself to like one of these smaller SUVs.
  • SpectreBlofeldSpectreBlofeld AroundPosts: 364MI6 Agent
    2012-Jaguar-XK-Artisan-SE-Coupe-Side-Picture-e1329909137869.jpg

Currently driving a Jaguar XJ8, but I'm thinking about adding an XK once it's paid off. Sporty, British... fairly Bondian, I'd say.
    2012-Jaguar-XK-Artisan-SE-Coupe-Side-Picture-e1329909137869.jpg

Currently driving a Jaguar XJ8, but I'm thinking about adding an XK once it's paid off. Sporty, British... fairly Bondian, I'd say.

I'm in the XK camp. It's beautiful. I'd love to go for a DB9, but an XKR would be as quick, and certainly more reliable. Also newer with less mileage.

I think Bond drove an XK8 in those Raymond Benson books. Since the Jaguar and Aston Martin DB7 were so similar in those days (both designed by Ian Callum and under Ford ownership), I thought Bond should have picked the Aston.
    Aston previewed a "new" concept a few days ago. I seriously hope that they have more planned for the 100th anniversary than this.

Aston_Martin_Project_AM310.jpg
    Yeah that car seems to be the answer to a question nobody asked... :))

BTW that question is: What do you get when you take a Vanquish, Zagato, Jag XK, DB9 and mix 'em up? :#

And when will they learn? RED on an Aston - NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Left Lane News has some pics of the new Aston Martin in silver on the streets. They are calling the new car the Vanquish again it seems.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/aston-martin-vanquish.html

Besides my already mentioned reasons and others which are too complex to go into, I've realized even more why I like the new Porsche 911 (991) as an all around daily driver Bond type car. It is as close as I've seen to a modern day DB5. I was watching a review on Youtube and the guy compared the tail lights to a modern Aston Martin. They do kind of look like an Aston's tail lights. Also, the front light design is similar to the DB5. The placement of the side mirrors is also a bit retro. It's a small car too and not a big GT.

I wish Aston Martin would restructure their lineup for the 100th anniversary. It wouldn't be too difficult either. A quick rundown on how I would start:

1. The DB Cars. Decide if they are small sports GT cars or large sports GT cars. I'm not entirely sure of how the DB5 was size wise compared to other cars in the 60s. But to me it was the perfect small sports GT that could go anywhere. The DB7 and onwards have become big sports GT cars. I know there is the V8 Vantage but that lacks personality and is just a smaller DB9. It is not its own thing. I would like to see the DB cars be small sports GT cars again. So cut the V8 Vantage. Especially since it messed up the possible DB8 line and revive the DB with a DBX or something. Bring back the front lights similar to the old DB5. The Porsche 991 and Ferrari 612 Scaglietti have similar lights on modern sportscars. It should be cool seeing these again on an Aston. Get the price in Porsche territory and make this new DB car its own thing without copying it to the other cars in the lineup. Also, get the AWD option in it. This is the key car I would want from Aston Martin.

2. The DB9/DBS. Just call it the Virage from now on. The line is so messed up anyway but the name is cool. The design is still timeless it is just being overused.

3. The Vanquish. Another cool name for a sportscar. I just wish the new car was more special for a supercar. With both the DB9/DBS/Virage and Vanquish these cars need to take on their own personality outside and in. No more same instrument placement and swapping out on control areas. Stop the cookie cutter design by basically messing with the dimensions.

4. Keep the Rapide. Although I don't believe sports car makers should make four door cars. I wouldn't miss it if they stopped making it.

If Aston Martin were to do something like this I would be interested in a modern Aston again.
    I don't know if anyone caught the news that Jaguar has AWD options on a few of their sedans now. I wonder if they will try it on the new F-Type a few years after its release?

Also, early pictures of the Porsche 991 Carrera 4 are out. It looks pretty good. The site has a few driving through the mountains videos. I wish they put the car in a lot of snow to really show the AWD abilities.
    For all year driving, I'd go with the BMW 750i.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org