Anthony Sinclair Conduit Cut Teaser And Reveal

Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
Well, I picked up my Anthony Sinclair suit today after a slight alteration due to a loss of two inches in the waist. It fits perfectly! I'm so glad David Mason has revived the company with the help of Richard Paine, the apprentice to Anthony Sinclair. Here are some teaser shots to get your Bond blood hot:

Label

AnthonySinclairSuitTeaser001.jpg

Arm Hole

AnthonySinclairSuitTeaser002.jpg

DG
So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
image_zps6a725e59.jpg
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.

Comments

• ExpatJBExpatJB HoustonPosts: 752MI6 Agent
    Armhole indeed! :))

Wheres the rest? Give the Missus the camera!
    Dont wait for your ship to come in. Swim out and meet the bloody thing.
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    Very cool DG, now some pics with it on :)
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    I can't wait to see how it turned out! Did you go for the Special Order or a bespoke?

It's too bad Richard Paine is retired but it's great that he has been able to contribute to the new company.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    Matt S wrote:
    I can't wait to see how it turned out! Did you go for the Special Order or a bespoke?

It's too bad Richard Paine is retired but it's great that he has been able to contribute to the new company.

It's a Special Order suit.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
    danjaq_0ff wrote:
    Very cool DG, now some pics with it on :)

You want more pictures? Let me see what I can do.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • thespyboys11thespyboys11 Lindenwold,NJPosts: 1,845MI6 Agent
    after a slight alteration due to a loss of two inches in the waist

Well...that's a GOOD thing!!!
    ExpatJB wrote:
    Armhole indeed! :))

Wheres the rest? Give the Missus the camera!

O.K., another photo. Here is a shot of me in my vest:

AnthonySinclairSuitTeaser003.jpg

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • 007 and a half007 and a half LondonPosts: 595MI6 Agent
    You're a bloody tease DG :(
    Teasing B@stard DG :D
  • MANDY1MANDY1 TISPosts: 2,608MI6 Agent
    Looks very cool, but we can only see close-ups, any chance to see whole suit DG, please 8-) :007)

I know you can do better than that, "old man" :v
    Knowing who to trust is Everything in this business.

TIS - "The moment you think you got it figured - you're wrong"

Formerly known as Teppo
    Mount BondMore awaits the reveal:

SCPBDCBusts.jpg

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    Are they staring at you winkey when you are getting changed :D
    Turnbull and Asser silk knit tie to go with the suit:

TurnbullAndAsserTie0051.jpg

Anthony Sinclair and Turnbull and Asser go together like bread and butter!
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • urhashurhash USPosts: 983MI6 Agent
    Made in Italy? What happened to you Turnbull & Asser!! lol

P.S. Has anyone else noticed their base shirts have dropped from 2x120 to 2x100 fold poplin?

Very nice, but you should get a T&A grenadine tie too since that's what Connery mostly wore, though he wore a few knits as well. Though Fleming preferred knits, the very formal grenadine ties go much better with a suit.
  • WildeWilde Oxford, UKPosts: 621MI6 Agent
    Coming from somebody who is on the verge of buying one of these conduit suits, I implore you to stop being a tease and SHOW MORE PICTURES! :))
  • DanielCraig007DanielCraig007 Posts: 588MI6 Agent
    edited June 2012
    Matt S wrote:

Very nice, but you should get a T&A grenadine tie too since that's what Connery mostly wore, though he wore a few knits as well. Though Fleming preferred knits, the very formal grenadine ties go much better with a suit.

The knit ties and grenadine ties that Turnbull and Asser make these days are much wider than the ones Connery wore in the 1960s. What width are the lapels on the Anthony Sinclair conduit cut suit in 2012?
    The width of the tie should match the width of the lapels preferably.
    Matt S wrote:

The knit ties and grenadine ties that Turnbull and Asser make these days are much wider than the ones Connery wore in the 1960s. What width are the lapels on the Anthony Sinclair conduit cut suit in 2012?
    The width of the tie should match the width of the lapels preferably.

I hear tell that David Mason at Anthony Sinclair is working on knits and grenadine ties to solve the very width issue you are referring to.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    Matt S wrote:

Just waiting for David Mason at Anthony Sinclair to make the correct thin grenadine tie. Anthony Sinclair will soon be a one stop shop for vintage Bond kit. Anthony Sinclair will have the correct suits, jackets, shirts and ties. The only thing they'll lack are the shoes!

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • David SchofieldDavid Schofield EnglandPosts: 1,528MI6 Agent
    So, its a contradictory mess, isn't it?

According to MattS elsehwere on these boards - and excuse me for paraphrasing - these aren't authentic Connery suits because Sinclair himself is dead and without the original pattern....

And the ties, though made by T&A, are now too wide to be "authentic"; so there is a wait for someone - albeit it at Sinclair's - to copy them...?

Or buy the real T&A and have a tie that's too wide. But as the suit isn't 100% '60s....????

Now personally, I'll get one of these (and probably sooner than DG's pictures appear ;) ) but only because I want a modern suit with Bond attachment, high quality and cheaper and far better value for money than Tom Ford that I can wear in 2012.

But if you want the whole 60s thing, you've got a problem or two, it would seem.
    edited June 2012
    So, its a contradictory mess, isn't it?

According to MattS elsehwere on these boards - and excuse me for paraphrasing - these aren't authentic Connery suits because Sinclair himself is dead and without the original pattern....

And the ties, though made by T&A, are now too wide to be "authentic"; so there is a wait for someone - albeit it at Sinclair's - to copy them...?

Or buy the real T&A and have a tie that's too wide. But as the suit isn't 100% '60s....????

Now personally, I'll get one of these (and probably sooner than DG's pictures appear ;) ) but only because I want a modern suit with Bond attachment, high quality and cheaper and far better value for money than Tom Ford that I can wear in 2012.

But if you want the whole 60s thing, you've got a problem or two, it would seem.

I don't think it's a problem. Having the original patterns would only make a difference to Sean Connery if he wanted his exact suits from the 60's. But of course he would have to be in the exact same shape he was then. The pattern in a bespoke suit is based on the individual a suit is made for. The "cut" is not the same thing as a pattern. The Conduit Cut has a few distinguishing features, roped shoulders, drape, tapered waist etc. But I'll let MattS speak to all the features of the Conduit Cut. As for the tie, I've had my silk knit for quite a number of years and I never thought of it as thick, but for the pureist...

DG

Edit: David Mason at Anthony Sinclair has Richard Paine, Anthony Sinclair's apprentice. Paine is the man who continued the business after Sinclair passed on. So the knowledge to make a bespoke, or special order Connery Bond suit is there.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    As for the tie, I've had my silk knit for quite a number of years and I never thought of it as thick, but for the pureist...

DG

So have I, DG. And I don't, either. ;)

Wonder if you were prompted to get yours as a result of the Mens Health article is the mid '90s, too?
    O.K., here is the reveal. The suit I chose was essentially the Goldfinger "Auric Stud" three piece suit. However, rather than the light Glenn Plaid minus the red overlay that Connery wore, I chose the dark Glenn Plaid minus the red overlay. I sometimes have to appear in court and the dark color was more suited to my needs. The darker color conveys a better image. I'm not as slim as Connery was in the 60's, but I think the suit makes me look damn good! I forgot to use my pocket square. Oh well, you get the idea. Enjoy the pictures.

AnthonySinclairConduitCut037-1.jpg

AnthonySinclairConduitCut002-1-1.jpg

AnthonySinclairConduitCut005-1.jpg

AnthonySinclairConduitCut024-1.jpg

AnthonySinclairConduitCut040-1.jpg

AnthonySinclairConduitCut035-1.jpg

AnthonySinclairConduitCut027-1.jpg

AnthonySinclairConduitCut026-1.jpg

AnthonySinclairConduitCut045-1.jpg

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • 00-Agent00-Agent CaliforniaPosts: 453MI6 Agent
    Wow! Very nice suit.
    "A blunt instrument wielded by a Government department. Hard, ruthless, sardonic, fatalistic. He likes gambling, golf, fast motor cars. All his movements are relaxed and economical". Ian Fleming
    It's very nice DG. Since it's Special Order, it's a modernized cut of what Connery wore. So the button stance is higher, the shoulders are more structured and the chest is cleaner. The knit tie you're wearing with it looks great! I just got a T&A knit today that measures a whopping 3 inches wide. Most of my knits are 2.75 inches, and that quarter inch makes a big difference. I have one that's 2 inches wide, and probably narrower than anything Connery wore. Though tie width should correspond to lapel width, knit ties should be narrower than other ties because they are a different shape. Knits should be 1/2 to 1 inch narrower than the lapels. FYI, the suits in Goldfinger did not have turn-ups (which Connery wore on all his other suits in the 1960s).

From what David Mason told me, Paine is not really involved in the company very much since he's now retired (as of 2005). He helps out when needed or when he wants to do something. He of course doesn't have much (or anything at all) to do with the Special Order suits. For bespoke, Anthony Sinclair has cutter Paul Mundy, who I understand is very versatile. But even then, it won't be a suit cut just like Sinclair's or Paine's. Since Mason had worked with Paine in the past he may know more of the technical aspects to getting the Conduit Cut right, but I can't say how or if either Mason or Paine is advising Mundy on his cutting.
    Very very nice DG ,much better than what they are dressing Bond in these days -{
  • WildeWilde Oxford, UKPosts: 621MI6 Agent
    Like it, very nice! -{
  • 006006 Posts: 258MI6 Agent
    DG - Very very very nice.

I visited David a few weeks ago and his knowledge and enthusiasm for Bond as well as his customer service is brilliant. I'll have to post some pics of my new suit when it arrives.
    For England James?

Instagram: instagram.com/tie_another_day
    A beautifully cut Bond suit, as I'd expected of those involved.
    Matt S wrote:
    FYI, the suits in Goldfinger did not have turn-ups (which Connery wore on all his other suits in the 1960s).

I knew one of the eagle-eyed amongst you would notice the cuffs. My intention for the suit was to find the most iconic of Connery's suits, but have it made to suit my purposes. Hence the darker color and the cuffs. I happen to prefer cuffs on my suits. Also, it gave me extra fabric so I could always revert to no cuffs if I chose to. If I ordered the suit without cuffs and decided I wanted cuffs, I'd have to order a new set of pants.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg