Project 2 - Licence to Kill Detonator

Thanks to you all, (especially Jimmybondi) Project one, the Licence to Kill Polaroid is complete and now I want to move on to Project 2 the Philips detonator used to blow the window.

Can anyone give me any info on what was the base for the prop, was it a Phillips radio ? and has anyone made one and do you have any tips or advice.

Thanks in advance as always for any help.

detonator2.jpg

Comments

• minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    Well the box, aerial and switch all look bought, although you could make the aerial by hand if you couldn't find one.

Not sure on the radar screen. How about printing it on acetate sheet, then sticking that to a backlit rotating acrylic disk?

For the motor, a hacked servo would do the trick, prob right speed too so no need for gearing.
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • scaramangasgoldengunscaramangasgoldengun ScotlandPosts: 1,388MI6 Agent
    Ok Just an idea/ guess... maybe right... maybe wrong

Ok as there was 'Philips' branding and product placement
    in both LTK and TLD... with props made from older or existing
    products etc.... for example

The S.I.G.N.A.T.U.R.E. Gun's Encoder that Q's uses to encode
    the grip of the gun to Bond's Finger / palm print etc was a
    Philips Calculator I think.... Ok so I am willing to bet that the
    Detonator Device was a convert from something... maybe
    a joystick / controler from a vintage Philips Games Console..
    such as this

lens19077996_1327272809Console_2_Intellivision.j

ok this ones an Atari... but similar style to the casing of the
    contoler

draft_lens19077996module156519959photo_1327276483Console_3_atari2600.jpg

Another Philips....

philips-odyssey.jpg

As I say Just an idea of areas to look into that may lead you to the item
    that was mocked up into the detonator by the props Department

Had a look around, saw lots of similar things just not the exact item...

hope this maybe helps in your quest to find the item to make into
    the said prop.... best of luck ... and some sound advice from Minigeff
    The case looks more like a bog standard enclosure, nothing fancy.

project-box2a.jpg
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • stripestripe Posts: 66MI6 Agent
    Thanks, I agree that's what makes me think it was a portable radio.
    Ok Just an idea/ guess... maybe right... maybe wrong

Ok as there was 'Philips' branding and product placement
    in both LTK and TLD... with props made from older or existing
    products etc.... for example

The S.I.G.N.A.T.U.R.E. Gun's Encoder that Q's uses to encode
    the grip of the gun to Bond's Finger / palm print etc was a
    Philips Calculator I think.... Ok so I am willing to bet that the
    Detonator Device was a convert from something... maybe
    a joystick / controler from a vintage Philips Games Console..
    such as this

lens19077996_1327272809Console_2_Intellivision.j

ok this ones an Atari... but similar style to the casing of the
    contoler

draft_lens19077996module156519959photo_1327276483Console_3_atari2600.jpg

Another Philips....

philips-odyssey.jpg

As I say Just an idea of areas to look into that may lead you to the item
    that was mocked up into the detonator by the props Department

Had a look around, saw lots of similar things just not the exact item...

hope this maybe helps in your quest to find the item to make into
    the said prop.... best of luck ... and some sound advice from Minigeff
    Thanks, good idea, looks a little deep, but may work.
    minigeff wrote:

project-box2a.jpg
    Great idea, like the idea of the servo and acetate sheet.
    minigeff wrote:
    Well the box, aerial and switch all look bought, although you could make the aerial by hand if you couldn't find one.

Not sure on the radar screen. How about printing it on acetate sheet, then sticking that to a backlit rotating acrylic disk?

For the motor, a hacked servo would do the trick, prob right speed too so no need for gearing.
  • MANDY1MANDY1 TISPosts: 2,608MI6 Agent
    Mr. stripe, welcome to the forum! It's nice to have a JB prop replica enthusiast on board here on world famous AJB! :007)
    As for the detonator i'd look for vintage (is 80's vintage already :s ) transistor radio, pocket size made by Philips Electronics. Personally i haven't looked into this for a while( so i could be very wrong), but as Mick pointed out the fact that Philips had product placement in both TLD and LTK, detonator device's base could be part of Philips product family.
    I've done research on many Bond movies regarding props or parts of them for many years now and obtained some rarities that are very very difficult to find, even if you do know the exact model number etc. Having that said i find the "thrill of the hunt" to be the best part as it's very rewarding when you find some rare piece, but then again it doesn't satisfy you enough and you'll move forward for the hunt of the next item :) Well back to Dalton era, The Living Daylights was perhaps the biggest chance for Philips to show their stuff on screen and as a matter of fact over a 100 of their products can be screen seen, Keyfinder, Ghettoblaster, car radio on Bonds Aston Martin, cassetterecorder on table of Blayden safehouse and so on. Philips was involded with Bond movies before Dalton's outing as we can see their products from FYEO to AVTAK. But officially Philips was marketing their products during the Dalton era and i remember when they advertised their "matchline" TV's with TLD stills on the screens back in the mid 80's.
    Oh, btw our resident Dalton era prop nut, AJB member "ics" (friends call him Ian or mad scientist :D ) has been involved in the past with this particular prop you are searching. I suggest you to contact him, if he has any details to share with you.

And if you have any questions regarding finding stuff etc. - don't hesitate to contact me via pm.
    There are loads of good chaps on this forum and I'm sure that most of them are willing to help you and others as well -{

Cheers,
    Teppo
    Knowing who to trust is Everything in this business.

TIS - "The moment you think you got it figured - you're wrong"

Formerly known as Teppo
    stripe wrote:
    minigeff wrote:

project-box2a.jpg

You can get these things in thousands of different sizes, daft lad 8-)

Personally, the appearance of a logo on something means naff all to me.

As tep points out, Philips had a massive product involvement with the dalton films. Take a look at the keyfinder, it has 'Philips' on it, but the prop on screen is NOT a genuine Philips product. So how did the logo get there? Just maybe, Philips might have supplied the prop makers with transfers?

IMO the same thing happened here. It's just a big standard enclosure with a Philips sticker on it.

MG
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • ttdriverttdriver Posts: 202MI6 Agent
    I have to agree with MG. A flat front radio with only the speaker enclosure seems unlikely as there are usually either dials or tuning windows on the front of a transistor radio of that period. By the looks of the upper right corner of the device it seems to be a metal project box. Maybe around 3.75" x 2.25" and somewhat less than 1" deep. Dont know but seems pretty likely the branding was added to a simple build.
    minigeff wrote:
    stripe wrote:
    minigeff wrote:

project-box2a.jpg

You can get these things in thousands of different sizes, daft lad 8-)

Personally, the appearance of a logo on something means naff all to me.

As tep points out, Philips had a massive product involvement with the dalton films. Take a look at the keyfinder, it has 'Philips' on it, but the prop on screen is NOT a genuine Philips product. So how did the logo get there? Just maybe, Philips might have supplied the prop makers with transfers?

IMO the same thing happened here. It's just a big standard enclosure with a Philips sticker on it.

MG

You could be right, I can't find anything Philips which is in anyway close, so looks like I'm building from scratch!
    Teppo wrote:
    Mr. stripe, welcome to the forum! It's nice to have a JB prop replica enthusiast on board here on world famous AJB! :007)
    As for the detonator i'd look for vintage (is 80's vintage already :s ) transistor radio, pocket size made by Philips Electronics. Personally i haven't looked into this for a while( so i could be very wrong), but as Mick pointed out the fact that Philips had product placement in both TLD and LTK, detonator device's base could be part of Philips product family.
    I've done research on many Bond movies regarding props or parts of them for many years now and obtained some rarities that are very very difficult to find, even if you do know the exact model number etc. Having that said i find the "thrill of the hunt" to be the best part as it's very rewarding when you find some rare piece, but then again it doesn't satisfy you enough and you'll move forward for the hunt of the next item :) Well back to Dalton era, The Living Daylights was perhaps the biggest chance for Philips to show their stuff on screen and as a matter of fact over a 100 of their products can be screen seen, Keyfinder, Ghettoblaster, car radio on Bonds Aston Martin, cassetterecorder on table of Blayden safehouse and so on. Philips was involded with Bond movies before Dalton's outing as we can see their products from FYEO to AVTAK. But officially Philips was marketing their products during the Dalton era and i remember when they advertised their "matchline" TV's with TLD stills on the screens back in the mid 80's.
    Oh, btw our resident Dalton era prop nut, AJB member "ics" (friends call him Ian or mad scientist :D ) has been involved in the past with this particular prop you are searching. I suggest you to contact him, if he has any details to share with you.

And if you have any questions regarding finding stuff etc. - don't hesitate to contact me via pm.
    There are loads of good chaps on this forum and I'm sure that most of them are willing to help you and others as well -{

Cheers,
    Teppo

I now know where to go for help and experience! I agree the thrill is finding an old piece and converting it, but looks like I will have to build from scratch. Thanks for the offer of support and contacts, very much appreciated.

I'm now going shopping for parts....
  • MANDY1MANDY1 TISPosts: 2,608MI6 Agent
    No problem stripe, i'll hope you'll find parts for the detonator and hopefully you'll show the finished prop with us -{
    Knowing who to trust is Everything in this business.

TIS - "The moment you think you got it figured - you're wrong"

Formerly known as Teppo
  • jimmybondijimmybondi ShrublandsPosts: 328MI6 Agent
    stripe wrote:

...I agree the thrill is finding an old piece and converting it...

Sometimes, I hunt for some vintage items for ages. Then it would break my heart to cut it open or to drill holes and put some blinky red LEDs into it, just to turn it into something different! :o

This of course does not account for the Saitek joysticks... :))
    gez.
    Jimmybondi

007fyeoturboespritbronz.jpg
    jimmybondi wrote:
    stripe wrote:

...I agree the thrill is finding an old piece and converting it...

Sometimes, I hunt for some vintage items for ages. Then it would break my heart to cut it open or to drill holes and put some blinky red LEDs into it, just to turn it into something different! :o

This of course does not account for the Saitek joysticks... :))

or the tiger handheld's :v

or the poloroid camera :o
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org