What has happened to poor old AJB?

Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent
Why are members here allowed to simply interrupt perfectly good and sensible threads with sick jokes, criticisms, mockery, aggravation etc. from the get go. The use of foul language here is shocking. Is this site a "light-touch" when it comes to moderation? Censor packages are used over on CBn, where I post much more regularly.

Too many threads have be closed of late. This is meant to be a James Bond site, but every time one posts you're told 'That's not right for here...Why don't you go to CBn/MI6 HQ instead?' My Never Send Flowers thread is a recent case in point.

This place has become a veritable circus - a select few members here make threads a laughing stock where people can have their own private in-jokes, where threads are hijacked for no reason other than it amuses a select number of members here no end. If I wanted Comedy Central, I'd go there...and I suggest that the large number of jokers on here should go there too.

This sort of thing can really damage a site like AJB - I was a member 2003-2005 and I never remember the controversy, foul language etc. back in thopse halycon days.

Look at CBn, which although its not perfect is a model site which AJB should be following as an example.

I think AJB really needs to get its house in order. How it sets about doing this is a decision only the site owners and moderators can make. But something really needs to be done sooner rather than later.

Just some friendly points...my two cents for what its worth. I do care about AJB and I don't want it to decline any further.
"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

Comments

• The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    I am very happy here and wouldn't change anything. I find the members extremely knowledgable; kind with their encouragement and support of each other; generous with information, assistance and even the giving/selling of treasured items. I find good humour, genuine friendships, little pretence, arrogance or aggression and even less intolerance of anyone who is here for the fun of Bond and the education of fans and collectors alike. I have been a member for several years and during that time have seen no decline. As for the humour and side-tracking of topics, quite frankly there are some topics that need to be side-tracked...and those that don't need to be usually get back on track quite quickly. It's survival of the fittest.
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    Im am one of the offending people that goes off topic, but it is only interaction amongst friends, just trying to have fun with like minded people.

I have met the most amazing people on this site, some of which I'm honoured to call my friends, not just internet acquaintances but true friends. Id lay money that you have not found that on CBN.
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    edited September 2012
    You make some valid points, SILHOUETTE.

But I would not refer to 2005 as halcyon days, certainly not from October onwards, probably the most controversy in AJB's history when Daniel Craig was announced as Bond 6. Also, I do not regard CBn as a model site, it's good but not that good.

The moderators cannot and must not ban people for telling private in-jokes but they should step in before it gets out of hand and give a warning. They should definitely take a hard line on swearing. Part of the problem (I feel) is there are fewer moderators around on a regular basis than was the case when I was here between 2002-2007. Back then there were at least half a dozen moderators around on a regular basis which meant things were often nipped in the bud more quickly than is the case now.

At the end of the day we are free to come and go as we please. If we don't like it here we can go elsewhere. Personally, I'd rather stay, at least for the time being. :D
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited September 2012
    danjaq_0ff wrote:
    Im am one of the offending people that goes off topic, but it is only interaction amongst friends, just trying to have fun with like minded people.

I have met the most amazing people on this site, some of which I'm honoured to call my friends, not just internet acquaintances but true friends. Id lay money that you have not found that on CBN.

I totally agree with Danjaq_off

I am not sure what's going on with you and CBN, you even called members here on AJB CBNers ;) and posting a topic about fox hunting in such a forum was begging for silly jokes and off-topics. Infact it was a daft idea 8-)
    I for my part found some of the comments genuinely funny and enlightening to the topic besides your getting more and more aggressive tone.

You felt being offended and threw some heavy stones - apologized, threatened people with physical violence and apologized again.

Not sure if your behavior in that thread really qualifies yourself to look down on others - but as you please.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    Ya know I've been thinking the same as mr silhouette recently.

Well, to be honest, only a little bit.

I class 'the good old days' as the time when I and others openly showed off their home brew projects and we actually had PROPER interaction, ie people working TOGETHER to make, find and produce some really special items that you simply would not and could not find anywhere else.

These days, no one shows off their stuff. It's not that they're not making anything, but I feel the lack of said home brew items is probably down to the rather authoritarian ways AJB can sometimes be run. It's also probably down to Factory Entertainment having a presence that's scared people off, is it? I dunno, maybe people can chip in with that?

What we should all be doing is working TOGETHER. Factory Ent. have got a gold mine of info in ajb, and they should encourage members here to help them produce their stuff. Where on the planet has anyone here known a situation like this where a company contacts a forum member, asks for assistance that leads to an item being out into production so EVERYONE else can get one? It's a fantastic opportunity that shouldn't be missed if you ask me.

I'd like to see ajb return to those days where we used to have some 'firsts' for making and finding stuff.

As for the humour, to those who can't 'get it', learn to laugh.

There's one mod who seems to abuse their power by closing any thread they like, with little or no reason given (yes hardyboy, you).

I'm all for moderation when things start to slide, but closing threads after the moment has passed? What's the point there?

A forum is all about discussion, conversation and should include humour. Have you ever stood in a pub with your friends and talked about one subject constantly without cracking a smile? If so, you've got crap mates.

I don't see ajb as a serious debating society, I see it as a virtual pint with my mates.

MG -{
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent
    I think that I already made clear that the so-called 'threats of physical violence' here on AJB were taken from E4's hit comedy series Fonejacker, and, as such , were meant in a humorous tone, not threatening or aggressive. But I'm not going to have a coronary embolism if you see things differently - it's your call. I doubt very much i was the only one to derail the fox hunting thread. Humour and comedy is fine - I like Stewart Lee and his Comedy Vehicle. I enjoy humour as much as the next person but not on every thread I post here, please. Some of us want serious discussions on the finer points of Bondology, too.

I should have reigned the fox hunting one in and had it only as related to thriller films/TV/novels. I regret ever posting about it in the first place, but what's done cannot be undone.

There is most certainly a very different tone on AJB from that over on CBn - perhaps I sahould go back there again. Having said that, in the past I've had some great conversations on here.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    Just a small note with regards the terry tibbs quote thing, at no point during all that did you mention terry tibbs or the 'fonejacker' tv programme. That's why everyone thought you was being daft and really meaning it.

I told you in pm, and I'll tell you here as well: stick around, ajb might surprise you.

MG
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    danjaq_0ff wrote:

:))

Really couldn't have put it any better.

"If ya doont like me, f@!k off then." :))
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,234MI6 Agent
    I only pop here now and then, but that living daylights thread did indeed get pretty ridiculous... As for the fox hunting one, I stayed well away and always stay away from topics like that... But it's up to others what they post about, and the moderators will 'moderate' where appropriate, as they always do.

I've been here for years and the only real problem that I have encountered is the lack of love for AVTAK :D
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    Jarvio wrote:
    I only pop here now and then
    I only check in once a week to see if there's anything interesting being said on Skyfall, but have no inclination to post anymore and my visits are rapidly decreasing. I quit the moderating as I believed it had become ineffective, sadly Alex went one further and quit the whole site for the same reason. I only see jetset on Facebook now, Si hasn't been around since February, Hardyboy is the new villian of the piece, so the site is all but abandoned on that front.
    unitedkingdom.png
    I loved AVTAK when it was released, I was still young and adored Sir Rog as James Bond :D

When I was growing up, I was the only Bond fan that I knew, so I was always defending the films against my mates that would making fun out of them :D , that is why I love them all I guess.

Jarvio wrote:
    I only pop here now and then, but that living daylights thread did indeed get pretty ridiculous... As for the fox hunting one, I stayed well away and always stay away from topics like that... But it's up to others what they post about, and the moderators will 'moderate' where appropriate, as they always do.

I've been here for years and the only real problem that I have encountered is the lack of love for AVTAK :D
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    the site is all but abandoned on that front.
    Is not Sir Miles here?
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,416Chief of Staff
    chrisisall wrote:
    Is not Sir Miles here?

I am...but M5 thinks I've gone over to the Darkside :))

I consider AJB a place where people can come and have a bit of fun whilst chatting about all things Bond...somewhere one can go to get away from life for awhile...

Sometimes 'things' can go too far and we ( AJB as a whole) need to censor/delete/ things...but that's a job for EVERYONE...not just the Mods...if you are unhappy with something...send a Post Report...or better still - PM a Mod with your concern...and we will deal with it (or try to)...and tell you exactly why we did what we did !

No site is perfect...and we at AJB have had people leave CBn BECAUSE of their heavy-handed attitude to censorship...and 'following the party line' attitude...

But that is fine...different strokes for different folks and all that...I have no axe to grind...unlike some seem to have...

CBn is 'bigger' than AJB...it has more money thrown at it for a start...but you can get 'lost' over there at times...AJB is much better known for it's Memorabilia & Collecting Forum...it is regarded as THE place to come to find out Bond's clothes and props etc.

SM...send me a PM with your views...I'd love to hear them....and I'm sorry you don't like the way I moderate...I've offered to step down several times...in fact I've insisted on it...yet I'm still here...sorry about that.
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    ..I've offered to step down several times...in fact I've insisted on it...yet I'm still here...sorry about that.
    Oh no, don't leave, please! I find you to be great & fair moderator, as well as a solid, interested fan of Bond! -{
    Well said that man, Respect -{

chrisisall wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    ..I've offered to step down several times...in fact I've insisted on it...yet I'm still here...sorry about that.
    Oh no, don't leave, please! I find you to be great & fair moderator, as well as a solid, interested fan of Bond! -{
    edited September 2012
    Jarvio wrote:

Always there when it's about defending Sir Roger * but I am afraid that I can't help you here :D

* and bashing Timothy Dalton

Sir Miles wrote:
    I've offered to step down several times...in fact I've insisted on it...yet I'm still here...sorry about that.

I for my part am still happy that you are still here and that noone listened to you :D
    Good job Sir Miles - you know that you have my respect and I am also happy that Hardyboy is relaxing a bit up with all the daft jokes from MG.

Well, thanks for the support -{

But I was trying to show that even the Mods here at AJB have differing opinions...which I think is a good thing...and that we all have different aspects and views to each other. Somethimes that doesn't help but, on the whole, I think it's a positive as it shows that individuality is acepted.
    YNWA 97
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    I'm a pretty patient person (almost to a fault) and it's rare that I see anything that really goes too far. Sometimes sensitivities can be trod on, but it such a subjective thing that I have to agree with Sir Miles that I'd rather not veer into the realm of censorship. Now when it comes to copyright infringement, I always prefer to err on the side of caution. If anyone feels that a topic is straying off course, just let a moderator know and we'll try to tap it into the right direction...but you have to make it known. I'm always finding topics that were posted a couple of weeks ago that I slipped past me initially.
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    Is not Sir Miles here?

I am...but M5 thinks I've gone over to the Darkside :))

I consider AJB a place where people can come and have a bit of fun whilst chatting about all things Bond...somewhere one can go to get away from life for awhile...

Sometimes 'things' can go too far and we ( AJB as a whole) need to censor/delete/ things...but that's a job for EVERYONE...not just the Mods...if you are unhappy with something...send a Post Report...or better still - PM a Mod with your concern...and we will deal with it (or try to)...and tell you exactly why we did what we did !

No site is perfect...and we at AJB have had people leave CBn BECAUSE of their heavy-handed attitude to censorship...and 'following the party line' attitude...

But that is fine...different strokes for different folks and all that...I have no axe to grind...unlike some seem to have...

CBn is 'bigger' than AJB...it has more money thrown at it for a start...but you can get 'lost' over there at times...AJB is much better known for it's Memorabilia & Collecting Forum...it is regarded as THE place to come to find out Bond's clothes and props etc.

SM...send me a PM with your views...I'd love to hear them....and I'm sorry you don't like the way I moderate...I've offered to step down several times...in fact I've insisted on it...yet I'm still here...sorry about that.

I like you immensely, Sir Miles. No criticism of you as a moderator intended at all. I want you to stay around, good sir.

May I call you brother?
    No, he prefers to be called ' granny Miles' :D

Bondtoys wrote:

Or on a Friday night, 'bitch' :))
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    edited October 2012
    *ducks just in case*

• Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,774MI6 Agent
    Bondtoys wrote:

I think I'll keep calling him "M!"

Mini G's comments about people displaying their construction projects in the past intrigues me. I AM a fan of Bond, very much so, but it is from an observational stance. I wear my dinner suit when occasions permit / warrant, I enjoy good food, but I cannot indulge my love of 007 in the same way as I do my Sci Fi interests. Outside the films themselves, and perhaps keep fit, its an expensive interest and I can't afford to live up to!
    However, it wold be nice to witness the work of others like Singe, Mini G our veteran Q Ed, and of course the Godfather of the forum David Z. (The Mantis) So I definitely say "bring back the props!" Keep going with the wardrobe, and make it clear these are replicas for the sake of fun, and fandom - not profit. That way none of us have to fear Eon or Sony or anyone else coming down on us.

Banter is clearly part of the community here. Sometimes I'm shocked, sometimes I am rolling around with laughter. I accepted that a long time ago and consider it a Forum trait. Keeps things interesting!

On a darker note, I have to say the recent Fox hunting thread was appalling. I avoided it like the plague and was relieved it sorted itself out, in the end. Anytime I see a thread form like that, I keep well away. Life is far too short.
    Singe you are not alone, I was a lone Bond fan growing up too. Its a good feeling to be part of a community that celebrates the films, and has the nostalgia aspect as well.

I am looking forward to Skyfall (cautiously). I'll see it at the cinema with my mates, see it on my own more than once if good, and I will discuss it with my friends in here. - Which is a big part of the fun.
    As an aside, there was one thing I was really pleased about the recent Barbican Expo - being able to share my thoughts in here, even if I could not see it with the other forum members who went, but that was unavoidable.

This forum reflects the nature of Bond - in all ways. Its not perfect and there are bumps with the good stuff. But it IS a good forum. As Mini G said its an online pub - and pubs change over time, and have their noisier moments! If you aren't happy you don't have to stay. On the other hand, if you are happy here and want to be part of the community, its good to see you. - I'll have a Scotch please! :007)
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
    Great post TB2.
    minigeff wrote:
    Bondtoys wrote:

I'm happy for you to call me that anytime, bigboy :D

bondtoys - I think you need to go over granny's knee :v :p
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    minigeff wrote:
    Bondtoys wrote:

I'm happy for you to call me that anytime, bigboy :D

bondtoys - I think you need to go over granny's knee :v :p

:o

Does he pay extra for that?
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    Bondtoys wrote:

I think I'll keep calling him "M!"

I do hope you mean M after Sir Miles Messervy and NOT after the Peter Lorre film M :o

YNWA 97
    I like you immensely, Sir Miles. No criticism of you as a moderator intended at all. I want you to stay around, good sir.

May I call you brother?

Thank you - but I really would like a PM from you about your concerns for AJB....I'm always looking for feedback from members about what they like/don't like -{
    YNWA 97