Idris Elba for Bond!

I know that Craig has signed on for 2 more, but even still I wanted to draw attention to the fact that Idris Elba IS James Bond.

http://imageshack.us/a/img14/3140/jamesbondn.jpg

Comments

• HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    8-) oh, please!
    Not again!
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • zig zagzig zag EnglandPosts: 244MI6 Agent
    Bollocks !!
    "Yes,dammit,I said "was".The bitch is dead now."

"It's not difficult to get a double 0 number if your prepared to kill people"
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    Idris Elba is..... Looking like a daft ****!! :))

Sorry old bean, you can't play bond, see you is black innit?
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    We will have a transvestite Moneypenny next :D
    danjaq_0ff wrote:
    We will have a transvestite Moneypenny next :D

But it'd be all done in the best paaaassible taste!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • PredatorPredator Posts: 790Chief of Staff
    Let's keep in on topic ...

Idris Elba is a great actor ... he almost seems typecast as an American these days though (like Damian Lewis).
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    He might make a great Bond, but he's already 40 years old. By the time he starts filming he'd be 44 or 45. I think that's a wee but late to start as Bond (insert Roger Moore joke here).
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
    Holy crap it's mumbles from Rock n rolla!!

I didn't recognise him, I thought this was another daft suggestion from some unknown actor trying to get his name in the spotlight :))

I thought he was great as mumbles, but as bond? No, cos he's black, and that's not me being racist, I'm saying that because having a black guy play bond would be like having Lisa Riley play catwoman.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • GordoLeiterGordoLeiter Posts: 462MI6 Agent
    For the last time, James Bond is W H I T E not some gangster black dude. Get it?!
  • JohnMastersonJohnMasterson MinnesotaPosts: 326MI6 Agent
    For the last time, James Bond is W H I T E not some gangster black dude. Get it?!

Yes, he is white...But isn't Felix Lighter supposed to be white as well? Irvin Kershner casting a black Felix Lighter wasn't so bad because it was a one-off movie. But Martin Campbell casting Jeffrey Wright was stupid, because when Jeffrey Wright inevitably leaves the role someday they're gonna have to cast another black actor for visual continuity-sake; unless they truly don't mind having a character who's constantly changing ethnic categories back and forth.
    "Goodbye, my son. Our hopes and dreams travel with you." Jor-El ~ Man of Steel (2013)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Felix is like Jimmy Olsen; do we really care if he has freckles? Felix is a supporting character- more important a good actor play him than anything else IMO. You want a period Bond? THEN Felix has to be white. ;)
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • JohnMastersonJohnMasterson MinnesotaPosts: 326MI6 Agent
    So if Ken Jeong was the next Felix Lighter but EON productions forced him to play the role straight, would you enjoy that chrisisall?

Personally I think Ken Jeong should have stopped using the ghetto, profane, Asian role from The Hangover A LONG TIME AGO but no, Ken Jeong had to go and wear out his shtick like a bad comedian who doesn't know when to get off the damn stage.
    "Goodbye, my son. Our hopes and dreams travel with you." Jor-El ~ Man of Steel (2013)
    Ken Jeong
    Umm, I'm not familiar with his roles in movies, but I'm more interested in what an actor can DELIVER to a film, not what what's outside of said production. :)
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Agreed Bond is white and I believe it would be a real stretch to accept a Black actor as Bond (unlike a Black Felix Leiter, which has been done twice very successfully) But Idris Elba is a fine actor who has played various roles, and to dismiss him as "some gangster black dude" is not only off base, but pretty damned insulting.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    But Idris Elba is a fine actor who has played various roles, and to dismiss him as "some gangster black dude" is not only off base, but pretty damned insulting.
    Yeah, actors are professional chameleons, and to peg one as a 'type' is so wrong.
    Bondtoys wrote:
    8-) oh, please!
    Not again!

.... Latest on post # 52 I can see members accusing each other being racist - like with all threads suggesting a black actor being Bond.

Who bets against me!

I for one would like to see a white Wong Fei-hung!

:o 8-)
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,418Quartermasters
    No no no, why do we have to have this discussion so often! X-(
  • Ens007Ens007 EnglandPosts: 863MI6 Agent
    Agreed Bond is white and I believe it would be a real stretch to accept a Black actor as Bond (unlike a Black Felix Leiter, which has been done twice very successfully) But Idris Elba is a fine actor who has played various roles, and to dismiss him as "some gangster black dude" is not only off base, but pretty damned insulting.

Well said sir! My thoughts exactly.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    +1 in agreement.
    Idris Elba is a fine actor and has played many varied roles.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,269MI6 Agent
    Didn't twig from the pic that was the same actor who was in The Wire and a British series I can't recall the name of. Luther, I think.

Good actor, hard to call just how important is his blackness, I mean I honestly still can't get my head round Craig as Bond based on his looks, nor Dalton's look in LTK, so in theory why not. But it depends on your take on it, whether one just ignores or overlooks ethnicity as the UK feels it ought to do, or indulge it or celebrate it, as the Yanks tend to.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    What confuses me, is that in today's society where people of different races, orientation, colours and creeds seek to be treated impartially (which I'm all for), why do some members of said social group make a big deal of their differences.

I couldn't give a crap who your god is, what colour your skin is or who you prefer to sleep with, there's good and bad in all, but I really pisses me off when people make a big deal of it.

An example would be a book I saw on amazon, that one written by the grandson of a retired EoN chauffeur. The synopsis and description had the fact the author was gay mentioned virtually every other sentence. "Gay author writes about experiences growing up as a gay bond fan and being gay in the 80's, as he's gay and also the grandson of a retired chauffeur, oh and he's gay. He's also gay."

Jeez, if ya want equality, stop asking for special recognition.

It's the same with this idris guy. He was great in rock n rolla and brilliant as Luther.

I not wanting a black guy playing bond is not down to being racist, or anything to do with the actors capabilities, it's due to the fact that the character of bond is so set in stone and recognisable globally, that to change his appearance in such a dramatic way would ruin that familiarity for many people.

And labelling all black people as gangstars is daft, I know I touched on that by using 'innit' but that (for those who didn't twig) was a bit of tongue in cheek.

MG
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    I agree it would be a great thing for the world (and long overdue) if we would just see each other as people without regard to color, religion, sexual orientation, etc. But it's somewhat difficult not to "make a big deal of it" when so often the reactions you experience and the way you are treated by others is based on those things. As a Black man living in the U.S., I can't tell you how many times I have been initially underestimated, patronized, insulted or ignored when the ONLY thing known about me was that I'm Black. I wouldn't call it asking for "special recognition" to point out that there is a group of people that is treated differently because of who they are, not because of what they do, and we need to take steps to end that treatment. It's difficult to explain that to people who haven't experienced it, but believe me my friend, it's real! And just to make myself clear, I do NOT think it is racist to believe that Bond should be white based on the iconic image of Bond that we have lived with for more than 50 years. I feel the same way.
    minigeff wrote:
    What confuses me, is that in today's society where people of different races, orientation, colours and creeds seek to be treated impartially (which I'm all for), why do some members of said social group make a big deal of their differences.

I couldn't give a crap who your god is, what colour your skin is or who you prefer to sleep with, there's good and bad in all, but I really pisses me off when people make a big deal of it.

An example would be a book I saw on amazon, that one written by the grandson of a retired EoN chauffeur. The synopsis and description had the fact the author was gay mentioned virtually every other sentence. "Gay author writes about experiences growing up as a gay bond fan and being gay in the 80's, as he's gay and also the grandson of a retired chauffeur, oh and he's gay. He's also gay."

Jeez, if ya want equality, stop asking for special recognition.

It's the same with this idris guy. He was great in rock n rolla and brilliant as Luther.

I not wanting a black guy playing bond is not down to being racist, or anything to do with the actors capabilities, it's due to the fact that the character of bond is so set in stone and recognisable globally, that to change his appearance in such a dramatic way would ruin that familiarity for many people.

And labelling all black people as gangstars is daft, I know I touched on that by using 'innit' but that (for those who didn't twig) was a bit of tongue in cheek.

MG
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,763MI6 Agent
    I`ve been a fan of Idris Elba since The Wire and I think he is a star in the making. But there are two reasons he can`t be Bond: He is too old and he is black. He is about the age of DC, so it`s too late to start a Bond.
    When it comes to skin colour - Bond is from an old Scotish family. Imagine sitting in the cinema watching Bond played by Elba saying to M: -This is Skyfall Lodge. It has been the home of my family for centuries ....
  • GordoLeiterGordoLeiter Posts: 462MI6 Agent
    If Iris Elba wasnt a crip maybe id be more open to him being Bond. :))
    Okay, must we go there?
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,509Chief of Staff
    Okay, must we go there?

I really hope not...I have asked him to explain this comment to me...maybe he should retract it and apologise....
    YNWA 97
    .... busy evening, Sir Miles, isn't it? :v

• Ens007Ens007 EnglandPosts: 863MI6 Agent
    Crass statement from Gordoleiter it has to be said. Serious wumming going on & it's not needed.
    I'd say gordo needs some time out.

Repeatedly referring to black people as gangsters is derogatory, insulting and racist.

Not trying to tell granny miles how to orally apply a vacuum to unfertilised ovian projectiles, just saying my humble piece.

MG -{
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org