Field Report - SITREP CHRISTIE'S LIVE AUCTION

Gadget MeisterGadget Meister Bicester, OxonPosts: 1,972MI6 Agent
I got to Christie's at around 1530 and met a friend there. We spent the next 90 mins taking in and photographing all of the props on display, the staff at Christie's were very attentive, not least to say attractive, without being intrusive. The props and costumes were all superbly displayed, even though the smaller items were behind glass. We had an early dinner at really good steakhouse just down the street from the auction house, after which my friend had to leave. Whilst eating dinner the weather had taken a decided turn for the worse and it was tipping it down. After sprinting to the door of Christie's to be told that no one was to be admitted until 1930, this just meant I had to go for a swift snifter to start the evening off. True to their word, we were let in at precisely 1930 and upon entering, although I was dressed in Chinos and Ralph Loren shirt, I felt decidedly under dressed. I would say at least half of the male attendees had opted for black tie. Still I put this to the back of my mind and began to mingle, a lot of the props had been moved on down to the far end gallery leading to the auction room. This left room in the main gallery for the Champagne reception, which was now in full swing. A Martini bar had also been set up and was very busy already, I don't think the poor bartender stopped at all. Glasses were kept topped up throughout and the canapés were never ending. I decided to leave the camera until the auction so as not to intrude, the paps were doing enough of that. Time to see who was around. I may have missed several names but I'll try and list those that I knew.

John Glen, Chris Corbould, Lord Linley, Maryam d'Abo, Samantha Bond, Dame Judy Dench, Barbara Broccoli, Michael G Wilson, Sir Roger & Lady Moore, Deborah Moore, David Walliams, Lucy Fleming, Lindy Hemming, Meg Simmonds. I think I also caught sight of Sam Mendes but could be wrong.

Auction3.jpg
Sir Roger Moore and daughter Deborah

All too soon it was time to move through to the auction room and I managed to secure a good seat on the centre aisle directly behind the reserved seating. The proceedings were begun by the head auctioneer, Mr Hugh Edmeads who did the last two big Bond auctions, I knew him to be very entertaining and that we were in for a good night.

Auction5.jpg
Our genial host, Mr Hugh Edmeads

First up was BB & MGW to introduce the auction, and then we were off with the bids coming in thick and fast from the room, the telephones and the Internet. The first lot was the set of Ian Fleming Novels and the bidding was frantic with hammer eventually falling at £73,000 and to rapturous applause, also remember that there is a Buyers premium of 25% and the VAT of 20% on the Buyers premium. Christine's kindly agreed that all Buyers Premium fees would also go to the charities concerned, which was really good to hear.

Auction6a.jpg
Barbara & Michael kick things off

All of the final live auction prices ( including Buyers Premium) can be found at: http://www.christies.com/50-YEARS-OF-JAMES-14884.aspx

Auction10.jpg
Lucy Fleming brings the hammer down

Auction15.jpg
Maryam d'Abo gets amongst the bidders

Auction21.jpg
Dame Judy & Lindy Hemming start to work the room whilst MGW looks on

Auction23.jpg
Moneypenny is sent out to elicit more bids

Auction22.jpg
But you'd really fill those La Perla shorts well

Auction16.jpg
Sir Roger takes to the stage

Auction17.jpg
Or is it Daniel?

Auction11.jpg
David Walliams starts the bidding on the DBS

Auction25.jpg
M says it must be worth more than that!

Unfortunately Sir Roger & Lady Moore left before the end of the auction, immediately after his turn at the podium in fact, which was a shame. Being very conscious of how poor Desmond Llewellyn was treated by autograph hunters at the last Bond auction I decided to keep my hunting to a minimum.
I had fully intending, and thought I had, put a Sharpie in my pocket at home, I frisked myself and only came up with a ball point. Luckily on approaching Dame Judy she, being the consummate professional, graciously said "Do you mind if I use my own Sharpie?" Mind? Result! Being the consummate amateur that I am the remainder are in my crappy ball point unfortunately.

My Christie's Bond catalogue is now adorned with the signatures Dame Judy, Samantha Bond ( second time I've met her and she is a delight), Michael G Wilson and finally Barbara Broccoli, who I've never met before and was a little wary as she has the reputation of shunning the limelight. All I can say is that she was very friendly and in the flesh is absolutely stunning, I think my jaw hit the floor directly followed by my tongue. If I could have spoken coherently at that point I would have asked for a Premiere Party ticket, oh well maybe next time. :v

Apologies for the crap photography :#

Comments