Does anyone here own a real PPK, either functional or deactivated?

chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
I fancy owning a real one, but for MY purposes, I'd want a deactivated one just for show on my wall.
Please, I'd love to see pictures of your stuff!
Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS

Comments

• jalconjalcon Posts: 25MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    I fancy owning a real one, but for MY purposes, I'd want a deactivated one just for show on my wall.

Nope, I own a Walther P99 in 9mm though. Love it. Very accurate, easy to shoot.
  • rdiceccordicecco Posts: 4MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:

I've got a PPK/S - the primary US version of the PPK. It's a .380, instead of a 32 cal with 7 + 1 capacity instead of 6 + 1 on the 32. Great gun for concealment and a good looking piece.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    rdicecco wrote:
    and a good looking piece.
    That, sir, is an understatement. I suppose it's best not to brag, though. :v
  • TecoloteTecolote Mississippi,USAPosts: 121MI6 Agent
    I own a real one, pre WW2(circa 1934, i believe), in 7.65 mm. I shoot it occaisonally,and my last outing with it was abysmal, due to several factors, one being the poor perwar style sights...
    In the USA, there's no legal difference between functioning and deactivated guns, plus you'll have state laws to contend with.
    If you want a PPK as close to the ones used in the films as possible you'll want an Ulm,Germany made gun, and they are likely upwards of $1000.
    Try here for examples:
    http://www.carlwalther.com/pp.htm
    If you know someone who's into guns, he or she might be of help.
    I hope this helps.

Regards,

Tecolote
  • PaperbillPaperbill FloridaPosts: 810MI6 Agent
    I have the USA Smith and Wesson made PPK 380. Good shooting gun, like the new beaver tail that keeps you from getting slide bite...does jam a bit
  • SheepdogSheepdog San Diego, CA, USAPosts: 4MI6 Agent
    Here's mine. Walter PPK/S by S&W, .380 acp. It is my backup and off duty gun.

Last Friday, I put about 150 rounds through her. 100 were American eagle FMJ AND 50 were Federal Hydra Shok. I had only one fail to feed, and I'm convinced that was my fault. As with most smaller semi-autos, you really have to shoot it with a solid wrist, or you'll have cycling issues. I brought my girlfriend, and she had many MANY stoppages. She isn't that big a shooter. When I would keep after her to keep a solid wrist, the stoppages went away, but the moment I would stop reminding her, the stoppages would begin again. The only other PPK I shot was 26 years ago when I was in the police academy. It was a friend's pistol. I only fired a few rounds through it because of the nasty slide bite. Smith and Wesson really solved this issue with the extended beavertail. I am very, very confident in this pistol.

I thank EON for moving to the PPK/S and hope they stay with it as Bond's primary. Is it too small? Yes. Is the caliber inferior? Yes. Is it dated, compared to today's newer pistols? Yes. BUT...is it BOND? ABSOLUTELY!! It needs to remain as 007's gun choice, simply for that reason. It IS Bond, and Bond IS the PPK.../S!!!! Long may he use it!!

image.jpg
  • MFisherMFisher Posts: 746MI6 Agent
    I have carried a PPk/s in .380 as my backup / off duty carry for 12 years now.. Love it.. Accurate, slim, easy to conceal...
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    Sheepdog wrote:

Last Friday, I put about 150 rounds through her. 100 were American eagle FMJ AND 50 were Federal Hydra Shok. I had only one fail to feed, and I'm convinced that was my fault. As with most smaller semi-autos, you really have to shoot it with a solid wrist, or you'll have cycling issues. I brought my girlfriend, and she had many MANY stoppages. She isn't that big a shooter. When I would keep after her to keep a solid wrist, the stoppages went away, but the moment I would stop reminding her, the stoppages would begin again. The only other PPK I shot was 26 years ago when I was in the police academy. It was a friend's pistol. I only fired a few rounds through it because of the nasty slide bite. Smith and Wesson really solved this issue with the extended beavertail. I am very, very confident in this pistol.

I thank EON for moving to the PPK/S and hope they stay with it as Bond's primary. Is it too small? Yes. Is the caliber inferior? Yes. Is it dated, compared to today's newer pistols? Yes. BUT...is it BOND? ABSOLUTELY!! It needs to remain as 007's gun choice, simply for that reason. It IS Bond, and Bond IS the PPK.../S!!!! Long may he use it!!

image.jpg

Bond doesn't carry a PPK/S, it is a PPK S as in signature not the S&W PPK/S -{
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    I am simply amazed how one single gun thread can attract new members.....
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Gadget MeisterGadget Meister Bicester, OxonPosts: 1,972MI6 Agent
    Am away at the moment, so no pics, but I have a very nice deact 7.65 Ulm, Donnau PPK with brown grips. It is in mint un fired condition. I would normally regard deactivating a weapon as sacrilege but as this had already been done I thought I would give it a good home. {[]
    I would normally regard deactivating a weapon as sacrilege but as this had already been done I thought I would give it a good home.
    Like a de-clawed cat. Very thoughtful of you. -{
    edited May 2014
    danjaq_0ff wrote:
    Sheepdog wrote:

image.jpg

It surely looks like a PPK/S in the last film, and if you look at some stills from when he is presented his new pistol by Q in the museum, I think the longer grip bears this out, and I believe it is identified as such by Q. With the dermal grips on it, it may be tough to tell the frame length, but if you look at the length of that beavertail/ backstrap, it most definitely is a S&W PPK/S in Skyfall. I have also compared the two models side by side. DC did carry a regular PPK in the opening sequence, but tossed it when it went empty, hence, getting the replacement firearm.

I don't understand your meaning of PPK S as in signature.
    Cheers
    image.jpg
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    Enter to the stage donk....
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    yeeeaaahhh minigefs back :) :) :) :) :) :)
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    edited May 2014
    Sheepdog wrote:
    It surely looks like a PPK/S in the last film, and if you look at some stills from when he is presented his new pistol by Q in the museum, I think the longer grip bears this out, and I believe it is identified as such by Q. With the dermal grips on it, it may be tough to tell the frame length, but if you look at the length of that beavertail/ backstrap, it most definitely is a S&W PPK/S in Skyfall. I have also compared the two models side by side. DC did carry a regular PPK in the opening sequence, but tossed it when it went empty, hence, getting the replacement firearm.

Cheers

I've gone through this loads on this forum, so I'll keep it brief. The PPK in that picture isn't even a real gun. It's a 3D printed gun with sculpted grips. The base frame and slide used in the initial scan was a PPK. NOT a PPK/S. The beavertail wasn't modelled on the S&W PPK frame, that is just coincidence. Originally this section of the PPK was supposed to be removeable via the two sliders each side of the pistol grip. The slide was actually a S&W PPK slide with all markings removed and the WALTHER banner you see is actually just a stuck on transfer. The frame was a West German PPK frame. The grips are so sculpted and contoured that in reality they would cut into the frame and internal workings in the butt and so they went with a model instead.

They did make add on grips with lights that fitted onto a real PPK, but they were so bulky, you only see it used when Bond is in the car and he activates it for the first time. The rest is the 3D printed model. The lights on both the full PPK/S model and the PPK/S grips only activated green, the red was added post production. These were activated by both remote and a pressure switch built into the butt, depending on which version they used.

The writers had no idea there was a real life PPK/S model. They call it the PPK/S in the film as the S was supposed to stand for signature. The fact there is a PPK/S model is pure coincidence, they never meant for Bond to carry the real PPK/S and he didn't. It was a modified PPK. You can take that to the bank!

And yeah, you are right about a base model PPK being used for the rest of the film. He uses a 1962 model from the London scenes on (sourced specially for the 50th anniversary), he uses a slightly later version for the Istanbul scenes, although mostly you see stunt guns cast from a PPK using a new method created for the HD age. The detail on these is incredible compared to the versions previously used.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • ppw3o6rppw3o6r Great BritainPosts: 2,271MI6 Agent
    Enter to the stage Donk....100% wot he said :D
    Skyfall_Gun_1.jpg
    Sheepdog wrote:
    danjaq_0ff wrote:
    Sheepdog wrote:

image.jpg

Cheers
    image.jpg

I think you have your answers from the two AJB gun experts here without me chirping in :D
    chirp, chirp :D
    I would be the second gun expert then after Asp9mm lost all credibility in the GMT Master thread :D

You are probably an expert in shooting yourself in the foot as far as guns are concerned, stick to your watches mate :D
    Bondtots....a gun expert? that's as hilarious as Bondtots Deaton the timepiece expert! :))

Just the thought of Bondtots with any kind of weapon...makes Donk go all "Misty Eyed" :)
    {[] welcome to the Misty-Eyed Fan Club, Donk {[]

... and btw, that S stands for signature and not for PPK/S :v

now that it's confirmed by THE expert........

Bondtoys wrote:
    ... and btw, that S stands for signature and not for PPK/S :v

now that it's confirmed by THE expert........

brookebond.jpg

DOUBLE OH....OHHHH !
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,509Chief of Staff
    ppw3o6r wrote:
    brookebond.jpg

DOUBLE OH....OHHHH !

That's my passport photograph ;%
    YNWA 97
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Sheepdog wrote:

I've gone through this loads on this forum, so I'll keep it brief. The PPK in that picture isn't even a real gun. It's a 3D printed gun with sculpted grips. The base frame and slide used in the initial scan was a PPK. NOT a PPK/S. The beavertail wasn't modelled on the S&W PPK frame, that is just coincidence. Originally this section of the PPK was supposed to be removeable via the two sliders each side of the pistol grip. The slide was actually a S&W PPK slide with all markings removed and the WALTHER banner you see is actually just a stuck on transfer. The frame was a West German PPK frame. The grips are so sculpted and contoured that in reality they would cut into the frame and internal workings in the butt and so they went with a model instead.

They did make add on grips with lights that fitted onto a real PPK, but they were so bulky, you only see it used when Bond is in the car and he activates it for the first time. The rest is the 3D printed model. The lights on both the full PPK/S model and the PPK/S grips only activated green, the red was added post production. These were activated by both remote and a pressure switch built into the butt, depending on which version they used.

The writers had no idea there was a real life PPK/S model. They call it the PPK/S in the film as the S was supposed to stand for signature. The fact there is a PPK/S model is pure coincidence, they never meant for Bond to carry the real PPK/S and he didn't. It was a modified PPK. You can take that to the bank!

And yeah, you are right about a base model PPK being used for the rest of the film. He uses a 1962 model from the London scenes on (sourced specially for the 50th anniversary), he uses a slightly later version for the Istanbul scenes, although mostly you see stunt guns cast from a PPK using a new method created for the HD age. The detail on these is incredible compared to the versions previously used.

"The slide was actually a S&W PPK slide" AHA! Partial vindication!! -{ -{
    JUST KIDDING!!

I stand TOTALLY corrected, and I appreciate your adding the details to back up! (and also for providing them here, instead of telling me it's been covered in another post) Thanks for clearing it up for me!

Being a new member, I'll head back into my corner now... :s
    Don't sit in a corner join in, we are all friends here, well most of us :D
    We can spy if we want to.
    We can leave your friends behind.
    Cause' your friends don't spy,
    and if they don't spy, well they're
    no friends of mine.
  • Gebruder GumboldGebruder Gumbold San FranciscoPosts: 541MI6 Agent
    Just bought a 1968 PPK 7.65MM in mint condition....I wont be able to see the gun for 30 days, as in Calif we have to wait.
    The vendor is a PPK expert in NY, so if you PM me, I can put you in touch with him. I think he has a 1967 gun for sale right now.
    Cheers, Tom

PPK_228120.jpg
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    GG,

You did good, an excellent PPK without import marks. That's a score! FWIW it's about 3,000 pistols later than mine... but you will need to find another pair of brown grips or just replace the right panel, as that has a decidedly non-Bond Interarms eagle on it.

In the 1960's as new gun laws were being passed, it was required that all imported firearms be marked with the name of the company that brought them in. Interarms had good taste and tried to avoid marking the pistols themselves, by marking the grips. The ATF insisted the pistols themselves be marked, so most of the later PPK's that were imported were etched or stamped with the Interarms logo on the right side of the slide.
  • BOFFERBOFFER Posts: 331MI6 Agent
    Well I thought I would send in my gun ownership details although they seem shabby compared to others. I have a gas charged umarex air pistol P99 James Bond special edition complete with carry case, 007 silencer, bond binoculars and red dot sight. It even comes with a 007 serial number and bond markings on the casing. I am always unsure how many they made but I have only seen a couple for sale in the last 10 years or so. Always open to any info people may have on them. My real desire was a p99 bond edition from walther but given they are a live firearm is a no go for me. There is of course at least 1 deactivated one in the uk but no-one seems willing to sell it.