Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Comments

• james362001james362001 Lancaster, California USAPosts: 338MI6 Agent
    Yes. This is "official". George Lucas has sold Lucasfilm LTD to Disney today. Disney said they will film STAR WARS: Episode 7 to be released in 2015. Episode 8 & 9 to be released in 2016 & 2017.
    The story will take place after Return of the Jedi (1983).
    They better pencil in Mark Hamill, Carey Fisher and Harrison Ford some where. Actors, start your diets. Buy your beauty cream.
    I am so excited about this STAR WARS news. I thought I would never live to see the day they would make 3 new movies after Return of the Jedi (1983).
    This is for all fans of Star Wars from 1977 to 1983.

We have been waiting 29 long years for this. I guess I can wait 3 more years. (Don't remind me what my age will be then).

Thank you George Lucas and Disney.
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    I am thinking Disney will do a better job than Lucas would have, I believe Disney knows the script is important, something I think Lucas forgot about. Will be interesting to see who writes the script.

Star Wars rides on their way at Disney World.
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    Oh great, yet more rehashed tripe piggy backing on the success of someone else's originality and talent.
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,774MI6 Agent
    minigeff wrote:
    Oh great, yet more rehashed tripe piggy backing on the success of someone else's originality and talent.

You said it Mini G. I thought it was bad seeing Master Yoda selling Vodaphone. Now we can expect Star Wars toys rubbing shoulders with The Little Mermaid and Cars!! I'll keep the original triology. (Original version, pre CGI messing about) Thanks.
    Really disappointed that Lucas has sold out like this.
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,279MI6 Agent
    edited October 2012
    I was reading about this today as well. The deal gives Lucas $2 billion dollars in cash and a substantial (but not majority) interest in Disney stock shares worth another $2 billion dollars. Lucas will stay on as a "creative consultant" - which usually means he'll get a few more big paychecks to gracefully bow out of the way and endorse the final products. His various companies - ILM, Skywalker Sound, etc. - will all remain intact and operate independently for the time being.

Like Barry, I'm inclined to think that this is a good move for Star Wars. In their acquisitions of other major companies like Pixar and Marvel, Disney has shown good business sense and creative restraint in allowing these companies to continue to do their own thing. Freed of Lucas' creative influence (he's a great visionary but not much of a storyteller anymore) will hopefully allow a new generation of filmmakers to create some entertaining Star Wars stories not hamstrung by having to happen between Episodes 3 and 4.

As to what we can expect from the proposed Episodes 7-9, I've read that a basic outline for the entire trilogy already exists and if Disney really hopes to make a 2015 release then things will have to start ramping up pretty quickly. In the past, Lucas had said that if he were to have overseen such a trilogy, it would have most likely focused on all new characters, with the possible exception of Mark Hamill showing up briefly as an older Jedi Master (thus taking the actor's advanced age into account). Don't know if this is the direction they will still follow but I find it hard to believe that any of the original characters other than C3PO and R2D2 - who have always bridged every movie - will have any kind of significant presence.

George Lucas has always been an extremely shrewd businessman and I see this as just another very smart - if calculated - business decision. It provides a pathway for Star Wars to continue for many more years (who better than a multimedia juggernaut like Disney to shepherd them into the future) while also giving Lucas a nice financial windfall. He also finally gets the crazy "George Lucas ruined my childhood" fanboys off his back - deserved or not, he's caught more than his fair share of grief from the lunatic fringe of fandom over the years and this may be his way of finally getting one last laugh at their expense.
  • Mr BeechMr Beech Florida, USAPosts: 1,749MI6 Agent
    Disney is welcome to have a go at this in my mind. As pointed out, Marvel and Pixar were at the very worst given more resources when they were purchased by Disney.

If there's anyone I fear managing anymore Star Wars media, it's George Lucas. The original trilogy is legendary for a reason, which naturally led to a polarizing prequel trilogy that despite real efforts and merit, were simply a disappointing use of the Star Wars name.

Without him, I think there is a real chance that the additional trilogy ideas people hoped for back when he announced the second trilogy, can finally happen.

Pretty sure it was said long ago that the format of Star Wars was always based on the ability to make three full trilogies. Before he announced the prequels, and even after, it was long rumored that a trilogy of sequels to the original trilogy would come about.

I think it is nice that fresh minds will get the big-budget shot to continue the universe without Lucas. I'm giving this one a chance. Maybe we'll get a few great directors and a much less poorly-built CGI trilogy this time.
    I am thinking Disney will do a better job than Lucas would have, I believe Disney knows the script is important, something I think Lucas forgot about. Will be interesting to see who writes the script.

Star Wars rides on their way at Disney World.

Disney actually has been partners with LucasFilm for many years. There have been Star Wars rides and entertainment at Disney's Hollywood Studios Park for many years and the Star Wars Weekends are hosted there every summer.
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,234MI6 Agent
    minigeff wrote:

You should change your avatar back to Jack Dee with miserable posts like that :))

I am joking though of course. And thinking about it, I can see what you mean. It's an obvious money-maker and they're basically going to milk it big time...

Still though, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited!
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • WordsAndDreamsWordsAndDreams Posts: 93MI6 Agent
    edited October 2012
    This is really nothing but good news. More Star Wars movies were inevitable, and the fact that it's out of Lucas' hands is great. Also, those afraid of Disney, they've handled Marvel brilliantly and most likely Lucasfilm will be given the same chance to be its own studio within Disney the way Marvel is.

Much like Bond, there is now a whole generation of great filmmakers who grew up on Star Wars and I'm sure want nothing more than to make an amazing entry in the series. If they can put together a "dream team" crew that actually care about what they're doing, this could be absolutely amazing.

And I doubt there will be any returning characters or actors besides possibly R2 or C-3PO. New characters and a new story is exactly what Star Wars needs.

Edit: I forgot to mention that Kathleen Kennedy will still be the president of Lucasfilm, which is definitely a good thing. Not only does she have a great track record in Hollywood, but she's someone who actual cares about making good films.
    Jarvio wrote:
    minigeff wrote:

You should change your avatar back to Jack Dee with miserable posts like that :))

I am joking though of course. And thinking about it, I can see what you mean. It's an obvious money-maker and they're basically going to milk it big time...

Still though, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited!

I'll consider that. I do 'grumpy' rather well.

Anyhow, I got the calculator out. If this deal nets old george 2bn dollars, by my calculations he'll have enough coin to spend $100,000 a day....... for the next 55 years :o and that's without interest being taken into account!!

Honestly, that's just sick. And I don't mean in a 'yo hommy, dat bizzle shizzles my rizzly nizzly til it fizzle' stupid kiddy gangstar talk, I mean its truly sick as in obscene and disgusting.

Don't get me wrong, I admire anyone who makes a living, but I'd donate half of that to charity. One person does not need 2bn dollars to get by.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    This is really nothing but good news. More Star Wars movies were inevitable, and the fact that it's out of Lucas' hands is great. Also, those afraid of Disney, they've handled Marvel brilliantly and most likely Lucasfilm will be given the same chance to be its own studio within Disney the way Marvel is.

Much like Bond, there is now a whole generation of great filmmakers who grew up on Star Wars and I'm sure want nothing more than to make an amazing entry in the series. If they can put together a "dream team" crew that actually care about what they're doing, this could be absolutely amazing.

And I doubt there will be any returning characters or actors besides possibly R2 or C-3PO. New characters and a new story is exactly what Star Wars needs.

This is really open to ambition and imagination with Lucas and the old characters all out of the way. It could go in many different directions and basically be a reboot for Star Wars, something that could make this a fantastic trilogy.

I have no doubt Disney will throw big writers and famed directors along with huge money to have it be clear that they are trying to bring the Star Wars name up for their customers and not down to irrelevance as Lucas is doing.
    Ok, so you have a film. A second is a sequel, a third makes it a trilogy, a film set before the original is a prequel.

So what's a film series with 7, 8, or 9+ films?

Septology? Octology? Dodecahedrology?

Star Wars Episode 9; An unavoidable fresh start (as most of the original cast are dead, retired or too fat and old or uninterested to take part)
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    minigeff wrote:
    Ok, so you have a film. A second is a sequel, a third makes it a trilogy, a film set before the original is a prequel.

So what's a film series with 7, 8, or 9+ films?

Septology? Octology? Dodecahedrology?

Star Wars Episode 9; An unavoidable fresh start (as most of the original cast are dead, retired or too fat and old or uninterested to take part)

LucasFilm chose to call it a "saga" long ago and have officially used that term in merchandising and other promotion. It is basically an open-ended term for their heroic myth that has expanded to six films and well beyond over its lifetime as their brand. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saga

Officially, it is "Ennealogy" for the films now. http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/tetralogy
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,279MI6 Agent
    People are already throwing out all kinds of names for who might direct the next film - Joss Whedon, Rian Johnson, Guillermo Dl Toro, even Ben Affleck - but one choice that I think is kind of obvious but not at all mentioned so far is Steven Spielberg. He has a history with Lucas and Kathleen Kennedy, has said for years that he wants desperately to direct a Star Wars movie, and would lend instant credibility and a nice "transition path" to the project.
  • Trigger_MortisTrigger_Mortis Posts: 100MI6 Agent
    I'd love to see Christopher Nolan's take on Star Wars. If not, Peter Weir, James Cameron or Ridley Scott.
    Joel wrote:
    I'd love to see Christopher Nolan's take on Star Wars. If not, Peter Weir, James Cameron or Ridley Scott.

Ridley Scott is certainly responsible for the darker of Harrison Ford's sci-fi fame with Blade Runner. That film is fantastic.

There are several directors out there that I think could pull this off better than the prequels. Certainly some excellent sci- fi has come out since the universe was originally established.

I really hope they make this as good and as big as it should be.
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    Wow shocked. I would say I'm disappointed however after the prequel trilogy it can hardly be worse can it?
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Wow shocked. I would say I'm disappointed however after the prequel trilogy it can hardly be worse can it?

Star Wars Episode 7; Return of the Binx
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,698MI6 Agent
    Star Wars Episode VII: The Battle For Endor
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
    Star Wars Episode 19; A New Hope that the Empire Strikes Back and the Return of the Jedi is thwarted by The Revenge of the Sith but Return of the Binx kinda ruined it as Everyone hates Jar-Jar, so we'll make this one Jar-Jar Binx and the deathly hallows.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • Ens007Ens007 EnglandPosts: 863MI6 Agent
    Why couldn't they just let the genius that was Episodes 4-6 remain as just that?! 8-) OK the Darth Maul character was a decent introduction, but the rest of the prequels were just complete & utter turd.

Is George really that hard up?! It seems like he's desperately trying to destroy the 1970's legend that he created ... and to make it worse, he's succeeding sadly.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent
    Interested by this, and I'm not even a Star Wars fan. No reason why it can't be set 35 years after ROTJ, in which case they could cast an older HSolo, LS etc the whole gang back really. But then it might be a bit like the new Dallas TV series, with the younger generation making the moves. Hmmm.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    During one of the many interviews I saw about this transaction yesterday I heard somewhere the next Star Wars film would be in 3D, which makes sense as it could add some real depth to the space scenes.

Disney has done an excellent job with Pixar and Marvel, I see no reason why this wouldn't be similar.
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,418Quartermasters
    If George Lucas was helming Episode 7-9, I would say it's a bad idea, but with new writers and directors and some fresh ideas we could get a pleasing result. There's no reason why talented filmmakers shouldn't be able to make another three good Star Wars films.
    Golrush007 wrote:
    If George Lucas was helming Episode 7-9, I would say it's a bad idea, but with new writers and directors and some fresh ideas we could get a pleasing result. There's no reason why talented filmmakers shouldn't be able to make another three good Star Wars films.

Agreed.

I'm pretty confused as to why this deal is getting hate and so much skepticism. Many are open to it, but I'm also hearing masses of people that are saying, "Star Wars is officially dead," and "No longer a Star Wars fan."

I would think this is far better news to be open to than another George Lucas trilogy or years more of him licensing out cartoons and tacky merchandising. If there is anyone that the public wants to back off of Star Wars, it is George Lucas.

Where did Disney go so wrong with their production companies that it is making people so dismissive of the possibilities? Does the average person just forget all the great films and projects that have come from both the Disney brand and the companies it owns?

It seems like people have forgotten already how pleased the masses and skeptics were with The Avengers and The Amazing Spider-Man. Both considered among the best production moves in Marvel film history.

There was a lot of success under them through Miramax. There's still Touchstone. Then, as mentioned before, Pixar is an obvious mega-success thanks to Disney's resources.

Is it right to assume Disney is simply going to beat up Star Wars more, instead of possibly improve the status of the franchise over its dragged-down reputation caused by Lucas?
    Well it could be worse... Imagine if disney brought bond!
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

Jarvio wrote:

If I were a mod I'd put you on hiatus for just mentioning that.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    Shot of Bond walking through the padded door. You hear a voice say "Sit down 007". Shot changes, with Mickey Mouse sat behind a desk :))

Jarvio wrote:

I think Tom Cruise of United Artists taking over the James Bond franchise would be worse.
  • Trigger_MortisTrigger_Mortis Posts: 100MI6 Agent
    Jarvio wrote:

Goodbye Aston Martin, hello Herbie.