Skyfall knife 2 (spoiler)

Any idea what folding knife Bond uses to do his 'self surgery' to remove the bullet shards?

Comments

• PPK 7.65mmPPK 7.65mm Saratoga Springs NY USAPosts: 1,229MI6 Agent
    I believe it was a multi-tool of some kind, unless my eyes were playing tricks on me.
  • Claymore208Claymore208 ChicagoPosts: 1MI6 Agent
    AngusrRoss wrote:
    Any idea what folding knife Bond uses to do his 'self surgery' to remove the bullet shards?

Its not a multi-tool. I'm a knife guy, and from the limited view, I don't think its a high end knife. It has plain bolsters with an exposed, adjustable pivot screw(simple torx or hex key) and a modified drop point blade. Boker-Magnum makes several models of knives with similar blade & bolster combinations, and I believe its very possibly one of them.

There are several knife silhouettes in the opening sequence, and most of them are familiar to me. They vary from high-end collectibles to very poor, low-end copies of the British Commando Knife, so an inexpensive knife used in the film would not surprise me much. I'm noticing that cheap knives are being used more & more as props in movies.

Its not something most people would notice, but, I've been collecting knives for nearly 40 years, and I know my knives.
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    I've got a gerber that's similar to it
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • doubleOElvisdoubleOElvis Posts: 17MI6 Agent
    Bumping this because I'm really curious
  • SouthernBondSouthernBond Posts: 16MI6 Agent
    Did anyone ever figure out which knife this was?
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    I've searched everywhere for this. It has a thumb nail nick in it too which rules out most high end one handed opener companies like Emerson and Benchmade etc. It does look like and have all the details found on Boker knives, but for the last year I've been searching for a Boker model that matched, but with no success. Although I have to agree with Claymore that it resembles a low end make, you also have to take into account the level of attention to detail that went into the props used on the film, including those never seen. So I'd conclude that it is a high end custom knife rather than a cheapy. I've not ruled Boker out yet either.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    Not wanting to tell Gran how to suck eggs, but you sure about that ASP?

I mean, the logic is sound, but is doesn't rule out 100% that this could just be a cheapy obscure knife. I've know knowledge whatsoever about what the knife is, I'd love to know as many here would too, but I think if it was a big brand or well known blade then I'd assume it'd be found by now.

My money is on a cheapy, but we all know my track record on bond knowledge. How to make it, sure, what it is, no idea :))
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • Bond Collectors' WeekendsBond Collectors' Weekends Gainesville, Florida USAPosts: 1,883MI6 Agent
    And did anyone nail down the cross-shaped commando knife (?) that figures so prominently in the title sequence? I'd love one.
    Seven (007) James Bond Tours! Mission: Mexico!
    And did anyone nail down the cross-shaped commando knife (?) that figures so prominently in the title sequence? I'd love one.

Thought that was a Fairburn Sykes?
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Its probably just a made up or modified knife that lets fake blood out of its tip.
    I'd have thought the blood/cutting effect would be added in post.

Maybe a rubber knife for safety's sake, but it'd be cast off a real blade of some kind.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    minigeff wrote:
    Not wanting to tell Gran how to suck eggs, but you sure about that ASP?

I mean, the logic is sound, but is doesn't rule out 100% that this could just be a cheapy obscure knife. I've know knowledge whatsoever about what the knife is, I'd love to know as many here would too, but I think if it was a big brand or well known blade then I'd assume it'd be found by now.

My money is on a cheapy, but we all know my track record on bond knowledge. How to make it, sure, what it is, no idea :))

The thing that has me rule out cheap knife is the grind and thumb nail nick. The grind points away from it being cheap. There are so many high end knife makers and models, you could spend years looking for it with no joy. They release and discontinue models every year. It's very generic, but the lack of one handed opening stud move it into the custom knife end. Possibly :s The bolsters are very distinctive and very Boker like. But that thumb nail nick confuses the issue more as it is double sided.

SkyfallKnife1.jpeg

SkyfallKnife2.jpeg

SkyfallKnife3.jpeg

SkyfallKnife4.jpeg
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    Regards the daggers in the titles, they are shown in silhouette only, and may exist only as computer pixels. Even the PPK looks slightly "off" to me, like it has been computer enhanced.
    7289 wrote:
    Regards the daggers in the titles, they are shown in silhouette only, and may exist only as computer pixels. Even the PPK looks slightly "off" to me, like it has been computer enhanced.

They used a polyurethane stunt PPK with weighted butt for the titles where you see it drop into the sand and topple over. The others you see drop vertically are a mixture of real shots and CGI. So it would make sense the knife exists as a real piece too.
    With regards the dagger in the PTS, i'd say it has strong Fairburn Sykes design cues about it.

As for the 'surgery' knife, I keep coming back to gerber for some reason, although I can't find any Gerber that looks exactly like it. Maybe it's a Gerber rip off? I'd love to find it as it'd make a cute addition to the SF garb I've already got.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    Deffo not Gerber. I know someone high up in Gerber as I have done a few reviews online of their knives and get sent them all the time to test. They say NOOOoooooo!! I'm at a loss as to what it is :#
    What they say? :))
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    minigeff wrote:
    What they say? :))

They say...

NOOOOoooo_072058_1920206.jpg
  • salmonsalmon Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    I am pretty sure that this knife is a Nieto. Possibly a junior model.
    salmon wrote:
    I am pretty sure that this knife is a Nieto. Possibly a junior model.

Pretty sure it's not ;)
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    From first seeing the film I always had it down as a mcusta but after reading this I don't think it is anymore.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    The answers you seek are within this forum.

I didn't work it out so I'll let that guy spill the beans.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    There's actually a high possibility it could be a Miguel Nieto JR. Nieto are a low end manufacturer that copies other people designs, which includes Boker. The only difference is that the Boker Plus has micarta slabs and the Nieto has wood. Apart from that all the other details are near identical.
  • Gadget MeisterGadget Meister Bicester, OxonPosts: 1,972MI6 Agent
    Jonathon, which Boker + are you looking at? I can't find one even similar. I have a Nieto 0102 & 0104 on order but I think the model used was either a discontinued model (Identical except for the serrated top blade) or they changed out the blade for a non serrated version. with no other reference though I think the Nieto is the prime contender.
    It's possible the jimping was filed off along with the makers mark. The production team go to seemingly unnecessary lengths to alter items to a massive degree that have no real need to be changed. The Bulldog box is a classic example.

The nail nick does seem to sit higher on the screencap suggesting some material removal on the spine....

SkyfallKnife4.jpeg

nieto-junior-0103.jpg

The Boker Plus was a sprint run slip joint model that came out after the success of the UKPK back in 2009. It never made it to mass production due to the high price tag and not being a one handed opener. I've been looking everywhere since 2013 for a good example. They were hard to get in 2009.

Really need some clearer hi def screencaps.
    Looking at the screencaps again, it looks like the spine of the blade sits lower to the handle back compared to the production knife. This strongly suggests the blade spine has been reprofiled to remove the jimping.
    Yeah liking your thinking. WRT the engraving, I cannot find a picture anywhere of the right hand side of the Nieto which leads me to believe the engraving was one side only and of course the opposirte side to which we see in the movie. Will confirm this on receipt of the Nieto's. The next question of course is what length is the blade .... 5, 6 or 7cm? nothing really to go on here :#
    You're probably right about the engraving, not many low end manufacturers put it on both sides of the blade as it escalates costs. As for the size, all I can be positive on from what we have at the moment, it certainly isn't the 5cm blade.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:
    not many low end manufacturers put it on both sides of the blade .

Ah, that's why your knifes bear only one engraving :)) :)) :))
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    This of course could easily happen to a Spanish knife but would and could NEVER happen to a Deutsch Messer, what say you Higgy Babe?