Is Julian Assange a real-life Bond villain?"

"Is Julian Assange a real-life Bond villain?" by Jonathan Foreman

http://www.frumforum.com/assange-bond-villain/

Full article:

"It’s a question that has been bouncing around certain corners of the interweb for a while but which has become even more urgent in the days leading up to his arrest in London.

What follows is an objective analysis of the question drawing on all the Bond movies on the one hand and Assange’s known behavior on the other. Because of the transparency campaigner’s concern with secrecy the latter evidence is relatively limited, though a handful of internal Wikileaks emails published by the essential Wired.com are quite revealing as to his personality.

1. Assange is the creator of a secretive international organization said to be involved in espionage and criminal activity, but unaligned with any particular country or ideology. This right away puts him in the same category as Auric Goldfinger, Sir Hugo Drax (Moonraker) and above all SPECTRE founder and white-cat stroker Ernst Stavro Blofeld (six films beginning with From Russia with Love – in which he is referred to only as “Number 1″)

2. Like Goldfinger and company, Assange hates the United States. Indeed Assange clearly wants to be an even bigger threat to America than the previous top candidate for real life Bond villain: Osama bin Laden. Assange’s transformation of Wikileaks over the last year into an organization that solely targets the USA has apparently prompted a series of rebellions in and defections from Wikileaks.

3. Like Blofeld in On Her Majesty’s Secret Service, Assange has an army of gullible young assistants who probably do not understand his real goals or his political obsessions. They believe his stated objective of transparency even though he does not practice what he preaches.

4. Indeed, like Drax and Blofeld, Assange is a man with a hidden past. Though it is hard to imagine the use of such information by any of the police and intelligence agencies he claims are after him. After all, it is all but impossible to find such basic information as what degrees Assange has received, where he lived or what he did for a living before founding Wikileaks in 2006. Something of a hypocrite when it comes to the transparency he champions in public, he is secretive not just about the membership and funding of Wikileaks but about the most ordinary details of his own life.

5. Like Karl Stromberg in The Spy Who Loved Me, Assange is an idealistic misanthrope with a superman complex. He believes he is wiser than any mere government when it comes to deciding what should be secret and what should be made public, and as shown by his willingness to reveal the names of NATO’s informers in Afghanistan, he has no qualms about collateral damage when it comes to pursuing his notion of the greater good. (Stromberg was more ruthless or rather more ambitious: to protect his beloved oceans he planned to provoke a nuclear war between the USA and USSR that would wipe out all of civilization except for his undersea city ‘Atlantis’.)

6. Like all of the Bond villains and in particular Hugo Drax in Moonraker (who has his disloyal pilot chased and killed by his Doberman dogs), Assange rules the Wikileaks organization tyrannically and is ruthless when confronted by insubordination and dissent. When his senior staffer and primary spokesman Daniel Domscheit-Berg dared question his leadership Assange immediately suspended him. To quote a (leaked) email to a Wikileaks volunteer: “I am the heart and soul of this organization, its founder, philosopher, spokesperson, original coder, organizer, financier and all the rest. If you have a problem with me, piss off.“

7. On the other hand, unlike Goldfinger and his ilk, Assange seems to take little or no pleasure in houses, clothes, luxury or black tie parties. Though, he has raised millions for Wikileaks and allegedly sold the information it has been given to various newspapers (against the wishes of his colleagues), he seems to have no personal interest in money and lives extremely simply, often sleeping on couches and going for days without washing or changing clothes. He is puritanically devoted to the cause, and expects his comrades and employees to be likewise.

8. Assange does like women though and is not above using his now-enhanced status as the Scarlet Pimpernel/James Bond of the hacking world to impress them into bed. However, his sexual tastes or manners are apparently of a kind that alienate and upset liberated Swedish women to the extent that they file charges of rape. That puts him back in the territory of almost all Bond villains.

9. More superficially, like Assange, many if not most Bond movie villains have white hair. This includes Emilio Largo (Thunderball), Blofeld (at least as played by Max von Sydow in Never Say Never Again and Charles Gray in Diamonds are Forever) and Karl Stromberg (The Spy Who Loved Me).

There is already talk of movies based on Assange’s life and career – what little is known of it. But rather than making a Scarlet Pimpernel/James Bond hero out of him, Hollywood should give him a chance to step into the shoes of Donald Pleasance, Charles Gray and the rest, and play Ernst Stavro Blofeld (the movie-land character he most resembles) in a future Bond film. (Those who have only seen the Bond films may not be aware that according to the Ian Fleming books, Blofeld actually made his first fortunes by selling stolen top-secret telegrams to the Third Reich before World War II, and later, when based in Turkey by selling information to both sides…)

This would of course have to be once Assange gets out of the Swedish criminal justice system and any other legal trouble he is headed for. But given MGM’s bankruptcy and the postponement of the next Bond movie the timing could be perfect."

Comments

• LukeLuke USAPosts: 99MI6 Agent
    He is certainly an interesting international figure. It is a bit hard to label a man like him as a "villain", but I definitely can see how some of his traits and tendencies could be translated that way in film.
    It's all right. It's quite all right, really. She's having a rest. We'll be going on soon. There's no hurry, you see. We have all the time in the world.
  • osrisosris Posts: 558MI6 Agent
    Yes, villain is too strong a word.
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    Here's a word that sums up that article;

Bullshit :D
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    minigeff wrote:
    Here's a word that sums up that article;

Bullshit :D

I never said it was a good article. It's novel, though. If a relevant Bond villain for today were needed, then Assange’s Bond-villain-like eccentricities could be thrown into the mix.

He certainly has the same taste in hairstyles as Max Zorin and Raoul Silva.
    Christ stop being so defensive, you didn't write that crap so don't worry about it.

Yeah it's a novel spin on it, but I can't help think that article was written by the US government. :))

"Assange hates the United States" bit strong isn't it? I don't think he hates the USA, I just think he dislikes the way it's run.

You could say Assange makes a good Bond villain, but someone in the media, hidden motives, manipulating governments etc..... Elliot Carver?
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    minigeff wrote:
    You could say Assange makes a good Bond villain, but someone in the media, hidden motives, manipulating governments etc..... Elliot Carver?

Yes, Carver does come to mind. Assange can seem a mix of Carver, Silva and Zorin--in fictional terms, of course. He certainly has/had the potential power they had.
  • DaltonFan1DaltonFan1 The West of IrelandPosts: 503MI6 Agent
    Assange is in no way a villain. If anything he's a real life Q and likening him to Bond villains intent on mass murder is beyond ludicrous.
    “Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to a better understanding of ourselves.” - Carl Jung
    The article is talking only about his public persona and not what he has done. He does seem to have the requisite “eccentricities” for a Bond villain. Of course he is not a villain, and I didn’t link to the article to imply that. I just thought it would make for an interesting discussion.
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    What he shares with Bond villains is a leaning towards megalomaniacal arrogance. What he lacks is the intelligence to be able to use his information for anything other than stroking his own ego. I'm neither right-wing nor American and in fact I am a writer who believes strongly in freedom of the press. But, I have no time for Assange and consider him to be nothing more than a grand-standing showman with a petty vendetta who is unable to evaluate which information should be in the public domain and which information can only do grievous harm to many people without doing any good at all. He'd be a pretty dull Bond villian, in my opinion...although there are visual similarities between him and Silva I must admit!

There, that's my tuppence worth on Assange. You're welcome to disagree with me.
    I'd rather see a bond villain based on Ian Beale.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    Or Ian Botham.
    Or Ian McShane
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    What he shares with Bond villains is a leaning towards megalomaniacal arrogance. What he lacks is the intelligence to be able to use his information for anything other than stroking his own ego. I'm neither right-wing nor American and in fact I am a writer who believes strongly in freedom of the press. But, I have no time for Assange and consider him to be nothing more than a grand-standing showman with a petty vendetta who is unable to evaluate which information should be in the public domain and which information can only do grievous harm to many people without doing any good at all. He'd be a pretty dull Bond villian, in my opinion...although there are visual similarities between him and Silva I must admit!

I think you’ve pretty much summed him up.
  • DaltonFan1DaltonFan1 The West of IrelandPosts: 503MI6 Agent

Considering he chose to inform people of the war crimes their governments are committing, I'd say we can rule out megalomaniacal arrogance.

And with him choosing to share this information with the public, enabling people to make informed decisions, he clearly has an idea of its value. The arrogant ones are those who believe that they know what is best for us and that we should not know what they are doing on our behalf.

As far as information doing grievous harm, the MSM has been stating this as fact for a couple of years without producing an ounce of evidence that anyone died as a result of the leaks, despite these being corporations with near-infinite resources. In fact, the only harm has been done to the massive egos of politicians and opinion makers worldwide.
    “Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to a better understanding of ourselves.” - Carl Jung