Danger Man's (aka Secret Agent's) final two episodes...

chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
Were KOROSHI and SHINDA SHIMA an attempt to mould John Drake into a more James Bond-like character by Sir Lew Grade because of the success of YOLT?
This certainly seemed like the straw that caused Patrick McGoohan to retreat from the series to create The Prisoner IMO.

Thoughts?
Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS

Comments

• Le SamouraiLe Samourai Honolulu, HIPosts: 573MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    Were KOROSHI and SHINDA SHIMA an attempt to mould John Drake into a more James Bond-like character by Sir Lew Grade because of the success of YOLT?
    This certainly seemed like the straw that caused Patrick McGoohan to retreat from the series to create The Prisoner IMO.

Thoughts?

I agree with you. I also thought those were the two worst episodes of the series. The effort to Bondify John Drake failed miserably as far as I'm concerned. It was a sad ending to what had been a great show.
    —Le Samourai

A Gent in Training.... A blog about my continuing efforts to be improve myself, be a better person, and lead a good life. It incorporates such far flung topics as fitness, self defense, music, style, food and drink, and personal philosophy.
    Agent In Training
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    I also thought those were the two worst episodes of the series. The effort to Bondify John Drake failed miserably as far as I'm concerned. It was a sad ending to what had been a great show.
    Funny though, I actually liked those two as an 'alternate-universe' Drake thing. I got a kick out of seeing McGoohan as a possible Bond.
    And those two were not really connected to the proper series IMO.
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,671MI6 Agent
    Sounds very interesting - can these episodes be bought on DVD?

I'm all into influences as a blog author!

Plus, I love boxsets!
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

Plus, I love boxsets!

You can buy the Danger Man boxset at Amazon for under $40. It includes all 86 episodes.

http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Agent-AKA-Danger-Man/dp/B003JQZY8A/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1357152052&sr=1-1&keywords=danger+man

I can't recommend Danger Man highly enough. It was one of the most intelligent, well-done, and realistic spy shows of the era. McGoohan's John Drake remains one of my favorite fictional spies.
    —Le Samourai

A Gent in Training.... A blog about my continuing efforts to be improve myself, be a better person, and lead a good life. It incorporates such far flung topics as fitness, self defense, music, style, food and drink, and personal philosophy.
    Agent In Training
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,671MI6 Agent

Plus, I love boxsets!

You can buy the Danger Man boxset at Amazon for under $40. It includes all 86 episodes.

http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Agent-AKA-Danger-Man/dp/B003JQZY8A/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1357152052&sr=1-1&keywords=danger+man

I can't recommend Danger Man highly enough. It was one of the most intelligent, well-done, and realistic spy shows of the era. McGoohan's John Drake remains one of my favorite fictional spies.

Thanks for the link, Le Samouai, old pal. Will check this out, though I'm from the UK!
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

Plus, I love boxsets!

Thanks for the link, Le Samouai, old pal. Will check this out, though I'm from the UK!

Amazon UK has a box set available as well, though it's more expensive and less complete (it doesn't include the first season of half-hour episodes).
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Danger-Man-Complete-1964-1968-Repackaged/dp/B0017LGF7I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357153809&sr=8-1

As a side note, those early 30-min episodes are mini-marvels of compact storytelling.
    —Le Samourai

Agent In Training

Amazon UK has a box set available as well, though it's more expensive and less complete (it doesn't include the first season of half-hour episodes).
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Danger-Man-Complete-1964-1968-Repackaged/dp/B0017LGF7I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357153809&sr=8-1

As a side note, those early 30-min episodes are mini-marvels of compact storytelling.

Yes, I have a few episodes of Danger Man from one of those magazine collections!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    I just watched those two episodes last night, and it was painfully evident that they were cashing in BIG TIME on YOLT. Especially the second one, Shindo Shima. Peter Yates directed it, who would go on to big feature films like Bullitt. Lots of nice location stuff, but it just didn't all feel right. An interesting curiosity, but give me the proper Danger Man. :D