The Garden Of Death

JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
So what exactly is this garden anyway? I'm not much of a reader I'm ashamed to say, and the only bond book I've read is LALD, which was years ago. But this "garden of death" stuff sounds intriguing - what is it? (But maybe use spoiler tags for the sake of others who have not read YOLT)
1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby

Comments

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,692MI6 Agent
    edited January 2013
    For more information (with no spoilers) read this article of mine on The Bondologist Blog. It should explain the major plot differences between the YOLT novel and film for you:

Click Me
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    good article Silhouette.

I admit I haven't read YOLT but it sounds downright bizarre! You are disappointed that Roald Dahl ditched this material?

(Irma Bunt) wearing a Japanese suit of armour and with a resplendent butterfly net hat. Blofeld also appears in a full Japanese suit of armour, complete with samurai sword. The idea of wearing the armour is to protect the two villains from the many lethal inhabitants of their poisonous garden creation.

"Bond is shot in the side of the head as he drifts away on the warning sign attached to the helium balloon. As a result of this, Bond loses his memory, and stays with the love interest in the novel, Kissy Suzuki, living the simple life of a Japanese fisherman called Taro Todoroki, until he realises his past life had a lot to do with Russia, and Kissy Suzuki sends him on his way there, with a brainwashed Bond returning to his old self..."

Personally, I find it rather funny how fans associate Fleming with being more realistic and serious. I've found his novels to be quite a mixed bag....take the enormously stupid battle with the giant squid as the climax of Dr. No.
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
  • ChromeJobChromeJob Durham, NC USAPosts: 149MI6 Agent
    Just finished GOLDFINGER. I'd forgotten how tired and syncopated that is. Pages and pages of humdrum, then suddenly action, then suddenly all's right as rain. Fleming must've been drinking pretty heavily when he wrote it.

(running and ducking from the imminent crossfire from the faithful)
    20130316-5278_kingston_corvusbond_pussyposter_80x65.png
    “It reads better than it lives.” T. Case
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,692MI6 Agent
    edited February 2016
    Firemass wrote:
    good article Silhouette.

I admit I haven't read YOLT but it sounds downright bizarre! You are disappointed that Roald Dahl ditched this material?

(Irma Bunt) wearing a Japanese suit of armour and with a resplendent butterfly net hat. Blofeld also appears in a full Japanese suit of armour, complete with samurai sword. The idea of wearing the armour is to protect the two villains from the many lethal inhabitants of their poisonous garden creation.

"Bond is shot in the side of the head as he drifts away on the warning sign attached to the helium balloon. As a result of this, Bond loses his memory, and stays with the love interest in the novel, Kissy Suzuki, living the simple life of a Japanese fisherman called Taro Todoroki, until he realises his past life had a lot to do with Russia, and Kissy Suzuki sends him on his way there, with a brainwashed Bond returning to his old self..."

Personally, I find it rather funny how fans associate Fleming with being more realistic and serious. I've found his novels to be quite a mixed bag....take the enormously stupid battle with the giant squid as the climax of Dr. No.

Yes, but if our conception of James Bond films was different, then it might have been acceptable as the final showdown between Bond and Blofeld in Japan. I prefer the book to the film. YOLT, TSWLM and MR are all films the show the filmic Bond art his most outlandish, and sadly this is the image of Bond that most comes to mind when you mention "James Bond" to Joe Public. I'm currently writing another article on just this subject matter - it will appear on The Bondologist Blog soon!
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Is it true that the Garden is described as having Man Eating Plants in there?
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger

No.
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent

No.

Oh, I remember reading a Review of the Book that mentioned it.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,257MI6 Agent
    edited January 2013
    SPOILER ALERT

Blofeld's Garden of Death (if you don't know) features many different natural methods for people to commit suicide. There are several potentials described. Blofeld wears the suit of armour to protect himself from the various barbs and stings he has accumulated in his dilapidated castle.
    Roald Dahl alluded to this very slightly in his screenplay by having Blofeld's private quarters vaguely resemble a 'Japanese garden' complete with a fresh water pool full of piranahs (did I spell that right?).
    I don't want to comment on the rest of Dahl's script, he hated the novel, I don't really understand why Eon asked him to pen it; it didn't help the underlying theme of the novel (redemption through revenge) is lost as OHMSS hadn't been filmed :# .
    edited February 2016
    chrisno1 wrote:
    SPOILER ALERT

Blofeld's Garden of Death (if you don't know) features many different natural methods for people to commit suicide. There are several potentials described. Blofeld wears the suit of armour to protect himself from the various barbs and stings he has accumulated in his dilapidated castle.
    Roald Dahl alluded to this very slightly in his screenplay by having Blofeld's private quarters vaguely resemble a 'Japanese garden' complete with a fresh water pool full of piranahs (did I spell that right?).
    I don't want to comment on the rest of Dahl's script, he hated the novel, I don't really understand why Eon asked him to pen it; it didn't help the underlying theme of the novel (redemption through revenge) is lost as OHMSS hadn't been filmed :# .

As you know from my article, I couldn't agree more! Terrible wasted opportunity! They filmed the Blofeld Trilogy in totally the wrong way! Only TB and OHMSS were any good!