My Skyfall Plaque

I saw they auctioned off the Skyfall plaque used in the movie and I thought it would be a great piece to own. While I wasn’t about to out bid someone on it, I figured this wouldn’t be too hard to replicate. The first thing I tried was using some ceramic tile and I went to a stone engraver to talk about doing it. He had originally quoted me a much higher price to do it, but as soon as I mentioned James Bond we got to talking about the movies and he quoted me another price, much less than the first. It was a good price, but my only concern was that the ceramic tiles were difficult to work with as I wanted to get the chipped and weathered look from the film.
I talked with one of my friends who is a Shaker furniture carpenter if he could make me the plaque out of wood. And while he couldn’t do it, he referred me to a friend of his who did have the correct equipment. Once again I was quoted one price, and once again after I mentioned it was a James Bond piece the price came down again. It’s great to have so many fellow Bond fans out there!

IMAG1547.jpg
Once I got the plaque I spray painted it with a stone colored paint.

IMAG1552.jpg
Next I painted in the letters and the crack in the center as well as adding a base black layer for the cracks and chips.

IMAG1562.jpg
Finally I added more colors mixing brown and yellow paint with the stone paint to give it the closet screen accurate look I could.

IMAG1582.jpg

Comments