Is Charles Gray's Blofeld in DAF based on a parody of Ian Fleming?

Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,646MI6 Agent
edited March 2013 in The James Bond Films
I've just been thinking about this lately. Hear me out on it.

To look at Charles Gray's portrayal of James Bond's arch-nemesis Ernst Stavro Blofeld in Diamonds Are Forever (1971) it's so very left-field that it really makes one wonder where the inspiration for the character came from. It obviously doesn't come from the James Bond novels, although the Blofeld of On Her Majesty's Secret Service looked superficially similar. This Blofeld dresses in drag, makes humorous comments, makes eloquent speeches; is in sum the perfect English gentleman (the only one?) - hardly the man who two years' earlier blasted Bond's wife, Tracy Bond to eternity. I have a theory that just as DAF is a parody, so Charles Gray's Blofeld is equally a parody of Ian Fleming himself, the creator of James Bond. The James Bond films were all lighter in tone than their 1960s predecessors or their 1980s successors, for that matter. Gray plays Blofeld as a silver fox - he is the classic English gentleman replete with tunic and cigarette holder (a la Fleming). His background would appear to be English upper class or Eton educated, just like Fleming. His Blofeld is the best mannered (an early version of Christopher Lee's Scaramanga in some ways) and most civilised of al;l the portrayals. It's also the least effective, but I have the sneaking suspicion that the Blofeld of DAF was based on Fleming by screenwriter Tom Mankiewicz as a little in-joke to refer to the light approach taken to the Fleming novels and stories from herre in in until about 1980 or so with a return to the gritty realism of For Your Eyes Only (1981), Roger Moore's finest and most Flemingesque portrayal of James Bond on film. Perhaps the key to understanding all of this is the fact that both Ian Fleming and his villainous creation Ernst Stavro Blofeld shared the same birthday: 28 May 1908. Both Fleming and Blofeld in DAF were accused of being poseurs, chocolate sailors and rather fey and theatrical and the below snapshots hopefully demonstrate. Both Fleming and Gray as Blofeld pose with cigarette holder and gun in some of the selected photos that have been added due to their similarity.

So what do we think of my recent theory on the Blofeld of DAF?

As alweays, I'd really love to hear your views on this one! :)

See these pretty pictures of Fleming and Gray as Blofeld:

page2_g_cgrayts_600.jpg

Ian_Fleming.jpg

charles_gray_blofeld.jpg

Ian_Fleming_Pose.jpg

ian_fleming_smoking.jpg

page2_g_cgrayts_600.jpg

Charles_Gray_Blofeldwwwe.jpg

OT, but Charles Gray even has a Flemingesque look as the narrator character of The Criminologist in The Rocky Horror Show (1978)

gal_rocky_horror_charles_gray_jpg.jpg
"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

Comments

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent
    Right idea, wrong pussy

He was part of the Clermont Set, a dodgy crowd, and I think Boothby had an affair with Ann Fleming but I'm not sure. He was bisexual, for sure, and of course there is the gambling connection there.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,646MI6 Agent
    edited March 2013
    Right idea, wrong pussy

He was part of the Clermont Set, a dodgy crowd, and I think Boothby had an affair with Ann Fleming but I'm not sure. He was bisexual, for sure, and of course there is the gambling connection there.

You think that he was based on Bob Boothby MP, he that had an affair with Dorothy Macmillain, the Prime Minister's (Harold Macmillan's) wife? Interesting theory, but I naturally prefer my own! :) On what grounds can you prove/develop this theory, NP?
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • LastRatStandingLastRatStanding ScotlandPosts: 296MI6 Agent
    They certainly look somewhat similar but I've literally never ever thought of such a theory. The fact Fleming wrote Blofeld to share his birthday definitely suggests some sort of influence of himself in the character though! Quite interesting and I think you may be onto something. You are probably one of the few out there who has ever realised such a connection but it's a completely plausible explanation as to why the portrayal of Blofeld in DAF is a lot different from previous ones -{ Can't see Fleming in Drag though :))
    Now, they only eat rat.
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,646MI6 Agent
    They certainly look somewhat similar but I've literally never ever thought of such a theory. The fact Fleming wrote Blofeld to share his birthday definitely suggests some sort of influence of himself in the character though! Quite interesting and I think you may be onto something. You are probably one of the few out there who has ever realised such a connection but it's a completely plausible explanation as to why the portrayal of Blofeld in DAF is a lot different from previous ones -{ Can't see Fleming in Drag though :))

Yes, I often overturn stones to reveal things others have never even considered. You need such a skill as the blogger of The Bondologist Blog. Yes, as you say, it does explain why the Gray version of Blofeld was written so differently - it's almost as if Maibaum/Mankiewicz wrote with him in mind (Gray had already played Dikko Henderson in YOLT after all, so it's feasible). And is this Blofeld meant to be presented as a lordly English gentleman-type a las Fleming. I think so. If Gray's Blofeld is a parody of Fleming, it's a nice little in-joke and gives this high-camp Bondian comedy a very different reading. We Bond fans all see different things in the light, don't we?

As for Fleming in drag, there the similarities end, my friend. :))
  • LastRatStandingLastRatStanding ScotlandPosts: 296MI6 Agent
    Yes, I often overturn stones to reveal things others have never even considered. You need such a skill as the blogger of The Bondologist Blog. Yes, as you say, it does explain why the Gray version of Blofeld was written so differently - it's almost as if Maibaum/Mankiewicz wrote with him in mind (Gray had already played Dikko Henderson in YOLT after all, so it's feasible). And is this Blofeld meant to be presented as a lordly English gentleman-type a las Fleming. I think so. If Gray's Blofeld is a parody of Fleming, it's a nice little in-joke and gives this high-camp Bondian comedy a very different reading. We Bond fans all see different things in the light, don't we?

I've read a bunch of the articles you write for the Bondologist Blog and they are all great by the way! Some very interesting stuff about things rarely or never discussed! You certainly know a lot more than me on the subject in general and especially on the literary side of things (I'm still making my way through the books) but I suppose we all have to learn from somewhere.

I always knew that the DAF Blofeld was different, it's obvious but I suppose I just never put too much thought as to why!
    Now, they only eat rat.

I've read a bunch of the articles you write for the Bondologist Blog and they are all great by the way! Some very interesting stuff about things rarely or never discussed! You certainly know a lot more than me on the subject in general and especially on the literary side of things (I'm still making my way through the books) but I suppose we all have to learn from somewhere.

I always knew that the DAF Blofeld was different, it's obvious but I suppose I just never put too much thought as to why!

Thank you, LastRatStanding.

We do all have to start somewhere indeed. Glad you like The Bondologist Blog - please feel free to leave some comments there on the various articles if you like. More new content coming soon on that blog space. :)
    I think that Pleasance has less character to him - no background etc. as in the Fleming novels. Blofeld's one of the weaker villans in the series for this reason, IMHO. The Dr Evil parody rather takes away the credibility of the performance from Pleasance (retrospectively ay least), whereas Gray at least has more character to him (and anonymity through most of the film). I like Telly Savalas' Blofeld the best, though.
    Any further interest in this? :) -{
    Right idea, wrong pussy

I suppose that looks wise you may have a point there, Nap!

Lord_Boothby_Allan_Warren.jpg
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Interesting theory, there are some similarities between the two. :D
    As always it's something else to mull over. -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Interesting theory, there are some similarities between the two. :D
    As always it's something else to mull over. -{

Good, TP. I like making people mull things over. Well, it's only fair after I've spent literally days mulling it over myself! :)) -{
    When you think about it, The Blofeld in DAF is so unlike the others
    In YOLT and OHMSS, perhaps they got carried away with the " keep it light"
    Attitude to the film.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    When you think about it, The Blofeld in DAF is so unlike the others
    In YOLT and OHMSS, perhaps they got carried away with the " keep it light"
    Attitude to the film.

Yes, well Guy Hamilton's attitude was very much "keep it light" - certainly with Christopher Lee as Scaramanga this was his exist advice (and to Moore).
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,059Chief of Staff
    Charles Gray was an effective actor, as he proved many times- his Mycroft Holmes was superb, he could portray evil villains with no problem (The Devil Rides Out, opposite Christopher Lee in an uncharacteristic hero role), and he didn't mind making a fool of himself (The Rocky Horror Picture Show). With a more serious script he could have been a more sinister Blofeld.

When casting OHMSS, Peter Hunt definitely did not want Donald Pleasance as Blofeld- he had disliked that performance and wanted a more physically commanding actor particularly since Blofeld is a lot more involved in the action scenes than he had been in YOLT. Telly Savalas also had the advantage of being a name actor, important since Lazenby certainly wasn't (this was one reason for Diana Rigg's casting as well).
    This wasn't a problem with DAF- Connery's return gave them all the star power needed- and Savalas may have been simply too busy (he was in four films that year, and Kojak was on the horizon).
  • GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,294MI6 Agent
    Dario (opens door w/o knocking first) : "Sanch.......why the hell are you in drag , what the hell is this. Busted !" :))

Sanchez : "Get out of here.......I'll kill you if you mention it to Krest !" :o

(Sanchez puts on "Way we were" on his boom box)

Sanchez : "Mem'ries , like the corners of my mind , misty........"

:)) :D :p :o
  • Virgil37Virgil37 Posts: 1,212MI6 Agent
    edited September 2014
    I've just been thinking about this lately. Hear me out on it...

Solid theory. There must be millions of in-jokes in the 50-plus year old franchise that we didn't get. I never made the link of the cigarette holder myself, and it's there for everyone to see. Also he's the only Bloefeld with hair (was the novels' Bloefeld bald?). But did Fleming dress in drag? That always puzzled me about DAF. Also, if Ian Fleming based Bond on himself, and if in this case Bloefeld is Fleming, then Bond would be fighting himself in a way! very Star Wars.
    We're all complicated characters, I'm sure Fleming put part of himself in many
    Of his characters. :)
    I know there are a few of his characters I'd love to put part of myself into ! :p
    ( sorry I always have to go for the bad joke ;% )
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Just a Jump to the left..
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • TheLazenbyTheLazenby Posts: 37MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    Charles Gray was an effective actor, as he proved many times- his Mycroft Holmes was superb, he could portray evil villains with no problem (The Devil Rides Out, opposite Christopher Lee in an uncharacteristic hero role), and he didn't mind making a fool of himself (The Rocky Horror Picture Show). With a more serious script he could have been a more sinister Blofeld.

Oh, I wouldn't call RHPS 'making a fool of himself' - now, if you've seen the sequel to RHPS where Charles gets to sing and dance (and be surprisingly wonderful), THAT was making a fool of himself. :-P
    Apparently in real life Charles Gray had a wonderful sence of fun
    and good humour ( he hated pomposity ) -{ , also as Barbel points
    Out, he could play a great villain. It's a shame he never got the chance
    In DAF.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,059Chief of Staff
    Shock Treatment? Started watching it once many years ago, was appalled and didn't finish it.
    edited September 2014
    Virgil37 wrote:
    I've just been thinking about this lately. Hear me out on it...

Solid theory. There must be millions of in-jokes in the 50-plus year old franchise that we didn't get. I never made the link of the cigarette holder myself, and it's there for everyone to see. Also he's the only Bloefeld with hairlda (was the novels' Bloefeld?). But did Fleming dress in drag? That always puzzled me about DAF. Also, if Ian Fleming based Bond on himself, and if in this case Bloefeld is Fleming, then Bond would be fighting himself in a way! very Star Wars.

Well, according to the 2006 BBC Radio 4 radio play "From Father with Love" his young son Caspar Fleming occasionally wore a skirt/dress, so you never know! Caspar wasn't a transvestite, though. It's probably an English public school thing akin to "fagging" and the like. :)
  • TheLazenbyTheLazenby Posts: 37MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    Shock Treatment? Started watching it once many years ago, was appalled and didn't finish it.

*gasp* Blasphemy!!

(Though... admittedly, when you're heavily involved with Rocky as I am, one tends to treat Shock Treatment in the same regard as its predecessor. Like, if a Rocky convention DIDN'T cover Shock Treatment as well, people would be outraged.)
    Any further interest in this little theory of mine? :) -{
    I forgot about this Thread :))

I still personally don't think there is a Connection between the two -{
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    I forgot about this Thread :))

I still personally don't think there is a Connection between the two -{

I'm drawing a few threads together to write a new blog piece on Charles Gray's Blofeld in DAF so I thought I'd revive the thread as the subject fascinates me. :) -{
    Talking of similarities though, I've always felt that Grays Blofeld is similar to Blofeld in the OHMSS Novel (Looks wise)
    Talking of similarities though, I've always felt that Grays Blofeld is similar to Blofeld in the OHMSS Novel (Looks wise)

Exactly what my thinking is, though you very rarely if ever hear it said! This article is going to be fun to write! :)
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,324MI6 Agent
    Any further interest in this little theory of mine? :) -{

Just a heads up that your site is not accessible. Every time I click to it, the main page comes up for a moment, followed by a total redirect to some retail site or another.

Edit: On a fourth try the main page stayed up.
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    I've just been thinking about this lately. Hear me out on it.

To look at Charles Gray's portrayal of James Bond's arch-nemesis Ernst Stavro Blofeld in Diamonds Are Forever (1971) it's so very left-field that it really makes one wonder where the inspiration for the character came from. It obviously doesn't come from the James Bond novels, although the Blofeld of On Her Majesty's Secret Service looked superficially similar. This Blofeld dresses in drag, makes humorous comments, makes eloquent speeches; is in sum the perfect English gentleman (the only one?) - hardly the man who two years' earlier blasted Bond's wife, Tracy Bond to eternity. I have a theory that just as DAF is a parody, so Charles Gray's Blofeld is equally a parody of Ian Fleming himself, the creator of James Bond. The James Bond films were all lighter in tone than their 1960s predecessors or their 1980s successors, for that matter. Gray plays Blofeld as a silver fox - he is the classic English gentleman replete with tunic and cigarette holder (a la Fleming). His background would appear to be English upper class or Eton educated, just like Fleming. His Blofeld is the best mannered (an early version of Christopher Lee's Scaramanga in some ways) and most civilised of al;l the portrayals. It's also the least effective, but I have the sneaking suspicion that the Blofeld of DAF was based on Fleming by screenwriter Tom Mankiewicz as a little in-joke to refer to the light approach taken to the Fleming novels and stories from herre in in until about 1980 or so with a return to the gritty realism of For Your Eyes Only (1981), Roger Moore's finest and most Flemingesque portrayal of James Bond on film. Perhaps the key to understanding all of this is the fact that both Ian Fleming and his villainous creation Ernst Stavro Blofeld shared the same birthday: 28 May 1908. Both Fleming and Blofeld in DAF were accused of being poseurs, chocolate sailors and rather fey and theatrical and the below snapshots hopefully demonstrate. Both Fleming and Gray as Blofeld pose with cigarette holder and gun in some of the selected photos that have been added due to their similarity.

So what do we think of my recent theory on the Blofeld of DAF?

As alweays, I'd really love to hear your views on this one! :)

See these pretty pictures of Fleming and Gray as Blofeld:

page2_g_cgrayts_600.jpg

Ian_Fleming.jpg

charles_gray_blofeld.jpg

Ian_Fleming_Pose.jpg

ian_fleming_smoking.jpg

page2_g_cgrayts_600.jpg

Charles_Gray_Blofeldwwwe.jpg

OT, but Charles Gray even has a Flemingesque look as the narrator character of The Criminologist in The Rocky Horror Show (1978)

gal_rocky_horror_charles_gray_jpg.jpg
    This is a very interesting analysis. I had never thought so before, but I can see how there are elements that line up well. I always took Gray's Blofeld to be a combination of the 1970s bloviating CEO type and a nod to the underlying play with sexual kink that gives DAF its camp appeal -- the droll gay assassins, the cheerful lesbian guards, the sultry girl strangled with her bikini top, Blofeld in appalling drag and seemingly unfazed by Tiffany Case, admiring her more as a work of art than a work of lust, and so forth. The cigarette holder, to me, had less of an aristocratic flair than a Penguin and Cruella DeVille quality, images that would have been common at the time. But your idea bears consideration! Authors are kind of like James Bond villains, or least that's what I am told.