I just purchased Christopher Wood's Moonraker...

chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
I just won a copy of Wood's novelization of MR on eBay and while I'm waiting for its delivery I wanted to ask my fellow AJBers if you think I'm going to like it.
I enjoyed the living daylights out of his TSWLM adaption! -{
Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS

Comments

• Sir James MoloneySir James Moloney LondonPosts: 139MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    I just won a copy of Wood's novelization of MR on eBay and while I'm waiting for its delivery I wanted to ask my fellow AJBers if you think I'm going to like it.
    I enjoyed the living daylights out of his TSWLM adaption! -{

It's not as good as James Bond and the Spy Who Loved Me as he has so much more work to do to make the plot seem creditable but it's written in very much the same style. I really think his two novelisations are better than all of the other continuation novels and capture Fleming's style quite wonderfully (far better than "Sebastian Faulks writing as Ian Fleming", for example)
    1- CR. 2- OHMSS. 3- FRWL. 4- GF. 5- DN. 6- TLD. 7- SF. 8- TSWLM. 9- GE. 10- LTK.
    11- TB. 12- OP. 13- LALD. 14- TMWTGG. 15- FYEO. 16- YOLT. 17- TND. 18- QoS.
    19- TWINE. 20- AVTAK. 21- MR. 22- DAF. 23- DAD.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    It's not as good as James Bond and the Spy Who Loved Me as he has so much more work to do to make the plot seem creditable
    I actually like the OTT story of MR even thought the movie itself is my least favourite of them all; it has all the classic elements, just hampered by the juvenile nonsense humour choices and questionable laser & zero-G FX. I'm hoping that like his TSWLM novelization, it will be a fun journey through the same story with similar clever literary twists that make it seem more believable to a degree. :)
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,270MI6 Agent
    It's the dogs', highly enjoyable.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • perdoggperdogg Posts: 432MI6 Agent
    I wish I could get a Jonathan Cape Hardback edition, with Dustcover, at a reasonable price.
    "And if I told you that I'm from the Ministry of Defence?" James Bond - The Property of a Lady
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,673MI6 Agent
    perdogg wrote:
    I wish I could get a Jonathan Cape Hardback edition, with Dustcover, at a reasonable price.

Yes, that would indeed be very difficult to find - I think these are rare yet sought after.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • perdoggperdogg Posts: 432MI6 Agent
    perdogg wrote:

Yes, that would indeed be very difficult to find - I think these are rare yet sought after.

It is more expensive than my new car payment, the only ones under $200 are ex-library copies.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sortby=1&tn=james+bond+and+moonraker
    "And if I told you that I'm from the Ministry of Defence?" James Bond - The Property of a Lady
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,673MI6 Agent
    perdogg wrote:
    perdogg wrote:

It is more expensive than my new car payment, the only ones under $200 are ex-library copies.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sortby=1&tn=james+bond+and+moonraker

Ex-libris books aren't worth as much to the book collector, sadly. :#
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • MustonMuston Huncote, Leicestershire Posts: 228MI6 Agent
    I've recently got a paperback copy of Wood's MR novelization and am strangely looking forward to reading it. But if it's as good as you good people on here say it is, I'm in for a treat :)
    "Thank you very much. I was just out walking my RAT and seem to have lost my way... "
    Muston wrote:
    I've recently got a paperback copy of Wood's MR novelization and am strangely looking forward to reading it. But if it's as good as you good people on here say it is, I'm in for a treat :)
    You read his TSWLM I take it?
    Muston wrote:

Yes, outside of Amis, he's the best of the James Bond continuation authors I think most of us would agree.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Muston wrote:
    You read his TSWLM I take it?
    . No I've not read his first novelization. But if I enjoy MR then I'll get a copy.
    "Thank you very much. I was just out walking my RAT and seem to have lost my way... "
    Muston wrote:
    No I've not read his first novelization. But if I enjoy MR then I'll get a copy.
    I loved his TSWLM. If his MR is even 75% as good I'll be happy. Say, we might be reading it at roughly the same time, eh?
    chrisisall wrote:
    Muston wrote:
    No I've not read his first novelization. But if I enjoy MR then I'll get a copy.
    I loved his TSWLM. If his MR is even 75% as good I'll be happy. Say, we might be reading it at roughly the same time, eh?

Tell me when the day you're going to start and I shall also begin. Syncronise watches, "for England James?"
    Muston wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    Muston wrote:

Tell me when the day you're going to start and I shall also begin. Syncronise watches, "for England James?"

"A small world." :)
    Muston wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:

The world, is not always enough. :007)
    Muston wrote:
    Muston wrote:

The world, is not always enough. :007)

"The very words I live by." B-)
    Muston wrote:
    For us, Muston.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,519Chief of Staff
    Muston wrote:

Yes, outside of Amis, he's the best of the James Bond continuation authors I think most of us would agree.

I concur...it would have been interesting to see what he could have done with an original piece...
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Muston wrote:

I concur...it would have been interesting to see what he could have done with an original piece...

Indeed, Sir Miles. -{ Pity he was never offered the gig.
    Sir Miles wrote:
    While reading Wood's TSWLM I found it freakin' uncanny how (seemingly) effortlessly he captured Fleming's prose... not forced or phony...
  • davidelliott101davidelliott101 Posts: 165MI6 Agent
    Muston wrote:

I agree... I have had this book for several years and read it a year ago on a flight back East... I was really impressed by his style and it was the most Fleming-esque of any of the continuation authors. I enjoyed it greatly
    I'm going to interrupt my John Gardner mission to read Wood's MR next. As soon as I've finished For Special Services.
    I agree... I have had this book for several years and read it a year ago on a flight back East... I was really impressed by his style and it was the most Fleming-esque of any of the continuation authors. I enjoyed it greatly
    OOooo, Muston, we are in for a treat! B-)
  • davidelliott101davidelliott101 Posts: 165MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:

I hope it lives up your YOUR high standards.... to paraphrase Bond in OHMSS
    chrisisall wrote:

I hope it lives up your YOUR high standards.... to paraphrase Bond in OHMSS
    Wood's TSWLM did! :))
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,270MI6 Agent
    "The Spy Who Loved Me's wood did..."

Barbara-Bach-in-1971.jpg
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited April 2013
    I got IT!
    SANY7457_zps6d642176.jpg
    SANY7459_zps398316ec.jpg
    Happy happy. -{
    Nice one! That's us both ready for blast off then! Is that paperback or hardback? I'm awaiting Wood's TSWLM.
  • David SchofieldDavid Schofield EnglandPosts: 1,528MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Muston wrote:

I think Amis' novel stagnates quite quickly, TBH. Though his writing is quite brilliant, and after an awesome start, JB just goes for a boat trip without any real urgency despite the fact that the head of the British Secret Service is in the hands of a foreign power with all the top secret info he holds....

Wood would surely have been a better choice by Gildrose than Gardner in 1981. They had evidence of his quality with the two novels he had written by that time and was probably a bigger name than Gardner in 1981 with his association with the last two films huge box office.

Wood has admitted he love to have had a crack at an original Bond novel. But he has also said he was never approached. Which, considering Glidrose and the history of the continuations, is hardly a surprise....

Wood remains, IMO, the best Bond writer after Fleming. And he's still with us. So, IFP, if Boyd misses the target this autumn, just give Wood a buzz in the South of France.
    Muston wrote:
    Nice one! That's us both ready for blast off then! Is that paperback or hardback?
    Paperback, $1.99 on eBbay!
    I'm awaiting Wood's TSWLM.
    That one I know is great.
    I suggest you read that one first though. -{