Would you like a new regular continuation author?

MustonMuston Huncote, Leicestershire Posts: 228MI6 Agent
Though I'm certain William Boyd's SOLO will be a great Bond novel, the last two that have come before it have had mixed reviews. So there is a chance that whoever follows on from Boyd, may not deliver.

Would anyone like to see a writer with say a 3-novel-contract? Someone who can take Bond on more than one adventure? Okay both Gardner and Benson's works were shouted down, but if IFP put in some real legwork to find the perfect choice, I think it would be a great gig for some young writer to land.
"Thank you very much. I was just out walking my RAT and seem to have lost my way... "

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I for one would love to hear that a new series of Novels were to be written. -{
    Taking the film reboot idea. Have them set in Modern times with a young ( ish)
    Bond begining his new career as a "00". :)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • ThomoThomo ReadingPosts: 949MI6 Agent
    Charlie Higson for me, he did a good job with the Young Bond series and knows the character well.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,509Chief of Staff
    Thomo wrote:
    Charlie Higson for me, he did a good job with the Young Bond series and knows the character well.

I've said this for a while now....I believe he would be a good choice.
    YNWA 97
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,651MI6 Agent
    I don't like the way the IFF has been experimenting and sampling authors for their "main" Bond book series, because the large differences in styles has left in me a disjointed feeling about Bond's literary universe, as if the continuity was severely disjointed. I think they lucked out with nailing down a great author for the Young Bond series, with Charlie Higson, and wish they could have done the same for the regular series if you can even call it that.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • Le SamouraiLe Samourai Honolulu, HIPosts: 573MI6 Agent
    I'm getting rather irritated with the way the new Bond novels are being handled. I don't like the inconsistency of different interpretations and even different time periods, i.e. period piece than contemporary then period piece.

Despite their flaws, the Gardner/Benson novels at least had a sense of internal continuity. Now every Bond novel is a standalone.

I would love to see a decent author get a three-book deal.
    —Le Samourai

A Gent in Training.... A blog about my continuing efforts to be improve myself, be a better person, and lead a good life. It incorporates such far flung topics as fitness, self defense, music, style, food and drink, and personal philosophy.
    Agent In Training
  • MustonMuston Huncote, Leicestershire Posts: 228MI6 Agent
    In SOLO Bond is aged about 45 I think. One idea I'd like to see is maybe a trilogy of novels telling what Bond did after leaving the service. Maybe a Bond aged 50 to 60? I think this would be a really interesting take on the character.
    "Thank you very much. I was just out walking my RAT and seem to have lost my way... "
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,270MI6 Agent
    Faulks was on record recently saying he had a hard time with the IFF, mainly over the money I think, he said it was more profitable to do one of his own books, and that was why he wouldn't be doing another, because they negotiated their cut quite ruthlessly. That said, Boyd may benefit more because he is a thriller writer so Bond will generate interest in his other novels.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • perdoggperdogg Posts: 432MI6 Agent
    Faulks was on record recently saying he had a hard time with the IFF, mainly over the money I think, he said it was more profitable to do one of his own books, and that was why he wouldn't be doing another, because they negotiated their cut quite ruthlessly. That said, Boyd may benefit more because he is a thriller writer so Bond will generate interest in his other novels.

I think the problem is writers think that the Bond novel are "Spy" novels instead "Bond" novels. They take a story and put Bond's name on the main character.
    "And if I told you that I'm from the Ministry of Defence?" James Bond - The Property of a Lady
    perdogg wrote :
    I think the problem is writers think that the Bond novel are "Spy" novels instead "Bond" novels. They take a story and put Bond's name on the main character.

-{ I'd never thought of it before, but I think you're right perdogg.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,651MI6 Agent

Man, IFF and EON have so much in common and in my mind I see a Dame Judy Dench-type dressed as the Queen of hearts, barking out orders in their respective board rooms. It's funny seeing the Fleming heirs in the Bond documentaries get all sentimental reminiscing about old Uncle Ian, whom in actuality they probably spent so little time with.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • BleuvilleBleuville Posts: 384MI6 Agent
    I for one would love to hear that a new series of Novels were to be written. -{
    Taking the film reboot idea. Have them set in Modern times with a young ( ish)
    Bond begining his new career as a "00". :)

Yes we need a continuous Bond novel author, in order to be able to write the book-of-the-film
    for any new films as well as original new stories.

We didn't get a Skyfall film book because there's no author-in-residence with Ian Fleming Publications.

Both John Gardner and Raymond Benson were continuing authors and did film story books for
    Licence To Kill, Goldeneye and then TWINE and Die Another Day.

Maybe they could extend William Boyd's tenure or some other established author of thrillers?

Bleuville.
  • Minister w/o PortfolioMinister w/o Portfolio Posts: 28MI6 Agent
    Yes, I'd like to see a regular James Bond continuation author. I long for the halcyon days of Messers Gardner and Benson. We didn't appreciate how lucky we really were back in those days!
    Those whom the Gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,270MI6 Agent
    You don't have to be sarcastic, M w/o P...
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Minister w/o PortfolioMinister w/o Portfolio Posts: 28MI6 Agent
    You don't have to be sarcastic, M w/o P...

I wasn't being sarcastic, sir. I mean what I say. :)
    Those whom the Gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
    Well I have to say I on the whole enjoyed J Gardners Books ( IMO he did
    seem to lose interest a little after a few Novels ) :# . R Benson sadly
    Failed Big time ( with me anyway ) the first couple were ok but went down
    hill fast, Infact It might be a favourite of some but "High Time to Kill " is
    really poor ( would of made a good short story ) and the only Bond novel
    I've hade to force myself to finish. :#
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    High Time to Kill

Sounds like the Title of a Steve Segal Film.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • clinkerooclinkeroo Detroit, Michigan USAPosts: 2MI6 Agent
    As with all things, it would depend upon quality, but in general, yes. Things have been grossly inconsistent with the single novelist approach.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,763MI6 Agent
    A regular author would bed Nice, but what if w are saddled With a bad one? I think they should keep hiring one-of writers until they find one who does it well. Once he has proven himself, he should be offered a contract for more books.
  • Le SamouraiLe Samourai Honolulu, HIPosts: 573MI6 Agent
    A possible compromise solution: The publishers can use different authors, but establish some ground rules. For example, decide if the books are period pieces or contemporary and make that a rule for writers. Mandate details such as Bond's gun, car, the nature of secondary characters like M and Q, etc. Insist on continuity. Sure, these sorts of guidelines would rob authors of some creativity, but it would help guarantee that there was some consistency to the Bond books.
    —Le Samourai

A Gent in Training.... A blog about my continuing efforts to be improve myself, be a better person, and lead a good life. It incorporates such far flung topics as fitness, self defense, music, style, food and drink, and personal philosophy.
    Agent In Training
  • PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    I think Bond novels and movies should always be in set in the present. And I would like one writer to take on the Bond series from here.
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
  • PDJamesBondPDJamesBond Posts: 180MI6 Agent
    I say give Lee Child a three book deal.
    I could write them, my Ability to dream up Fight Scenes is almost Legendary :)) -{
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    My vote would be for GassyMan {[]
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,669MI6 Agent
    Anthony Horowitz would be my choice - he's certainly proven himself with the Sherlock Holmes continuation and he's said he wants the job of James Bond continuation author so it's a no-brainer surely? -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,205Chief of Staff
    Good pick, SM, his Holmes work is excellent.
    "Holmes work" is that a Teachers joke. :p :))
    If Tom Clancy never died, he could of wrote a few -{
    With his work on Sherlock, I think Mark Gatiss could do a great job.
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,669MI6 Agent
    With his work on Sherlock, I think Mark Gatiss could do a great job.

Yes, and he's already written a few Bond spoof novels starring his character Lucifer Box.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,205Chief of Staff
    If Tom Clancy never died, he could of wrote a few -{

Or more likely got someone else to write them for him- Clancy used various ghost writers, among them a certain Raymond Benson....