Connery's wig.

DieAnotherDayDieAnotherDay Glasgow, ScotlandPosts: 460MI6 Agent
I was watching GF last night and I honestly couldn't help but notice that Sean Connery's wig is actually terrible throughout this film. His real hair is jet black at the sides and back and his tupee is light brown?! This is the only film I think it is instantly noticeable that it isn't his real hair...what was wrong with the wig in DN and FRWL?! :))
....and the best he ever managed was a sermon on the mount.

Comments

• Sir James MoloneySir James Moloney LondonPosts: 139MI6 Agent
    I was watching GF last night and I honestly couldn't help but notice that Sean Connery's wig is actually terrible throughout this film. His real hair is jet black at the sides and back and his tupee is light brown?! This is the only film I think it is instantly noticeable that it isn't his real hair...what was wrong with the wig in DN and FRWL?! :))

My understanding is that he had four toupées: two black (one for "dry" scenes and one for "wet" scenes) and two brown. It seems that he switched from black to brown for Goldfinger, maybe?

I have never noticed them at all (but I'm terrible at spotting wigs in general)
    1- CR. 2- OHMSS. 3- FRWL. 4- GF. 5- DN. 6- TLD. 7- SF. 8- TSWLM. 9- GE. 10- LTK.
    11- TB. 12- OP. 13- LALD. 14- TMWTGG. 15- FYEO. 16- YOLT. 17- TND. 18- QoS.
    19- TWINE. 20- AVTAK. 21- MR. 22- DAF. 23- DAD.
  • don pdon p Posts: 589MI6 Agent
    I did notice in thunderball, his side parting goes from one side to the other,,,,
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I have to admit after numerous viewings, I've never noticed
    Connery wearing a wig. :)) I knew he was ,But I couldn't see
    it.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • DieAnotherDayDieAnotherDay Glasgow, ScotlandPosts: 460MI6 Agent
    I never spot it any any of his other films apart from DAF at certain points where his wig is black and his hair is greying at the sides and back but next time you watch GF look out for it. It's most obviously a wig in the PTS when he's planting the explosives...very obvious :s
    ....and the best he ever managed was a sermon on the mount.
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    I noticed his wig when watching DN during the scene where he is crawling through the vent and the water rushes past.
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    I know; the scene where he chases after it and slaps it back on top of his head is a bit of a giveaway. :#
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    :)) I have to watch the extras again.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • SherbrookSherbrook Melbourne AustraliaPosts: 137MI6 Agent
    I think when the films are remastered for Bluray and DVD it show up more of these little imperfections
    I must be dreaming
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    The reason Connery's wig wasn't noticable in DN and FRWL is that he wasn't wearing one. They just spray painted his scalp to cover the thin spots.

The Goldfinger wig is the worst, and is distracting. In Thunderball, Connery wears a toupee when dry, but underwater and coming in and out of the water he wears his own (spray painted) hair. Same, in YOLT, only when he dives into the water from the fishing boat it's odvious he's not wearing any 'cover".

In DAF he's "natural" when in the pool with Bambi and Thumper, and in NSNA there is one shot of him swimming in scuba gear and again sans wig.

Remember SC wasn't Yul Brenner bald until long after DAF, his hairline receded slowly and the rest thinned out. IMO, he still had sufficent hair in both Goldfinger and Thunderball to have avoided the toupee - but that was the 1960's and Bond films like every other cinema project were not really meant to be seen thousands of times and endlessly scrutinized by fans!
  • Scorupco 007Scorupco 007 Posts: 8MI6 Agent
    it.

Glad it's not just me.
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    it.

Glad it's not just me.

Nope - you're not alone! :))
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    it.

Glad it's not just me.

Nope - you're not alone! :))

I didnt know either,but then id rather look like Connery
    than Evertons Felani :))
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    7289 wrote:
    The reason Connery's wig wasn't noticable in DN and FRWL is that he wasn't wearing one. They just spray painted his scalp to cover the thin spots.

The Goldfinger wig is the worst, and is distracting. In Thunderball, Connery wears a toupee when dry, but underwater and coming in and out of the water he wears his own (spray painted) hair. Same, in YOLT, only when he dives into the water from the fishing boat it's odvious he's not wearing any 'cover".

In DAF he's "natural" when in the pool with Bambi and Thumper, and in NSNA there is one shot of him swimming in scuba gear and again sans wig.

Remember SC wasn't Yul Brenner bald until long after DAF, his hairline receded slowly and the rest thinned out. IMO, he still had sufficent hair in both Goldfinger and Thunderball to have avoided the toupee - but that was the 1960's and Bond films like every other cinema project were not really meant to be seen thousands of times and endlessly scrutinized by fans!

Spray painted LMFAO Brilliant!
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • Mr BeechMr Beech Florida, USAPosts: 1,749MI6 Agent
    I didn't notice until this site brought it to my attention. On Blu-Ray, the top of his hair sometimes is a dyed-looking brown while the rest is nearly black or graying. Not that distracting, to me.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,390Chief of Staff
    Spraying a balding actor's scalp is an old trick; others who've had that done include Frank Sinatra and Bruce Willis. It works ok when they're just starting to lose hair but after a few years they have to either give up or wear a wig.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    Spraying a balding actor's scalp is an old trick

8-) speaking from own experience, Barbel :v

Everyone who's seen "The Fabulous Baker Boys" is also aware how the spraying works :D
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,390Chief of Staff
    Bondtoys wrote:

8-) speaking from own experience, Barbel :v

Oh, hardly!!!
    I had the same trouble pushing a stick of salami Down my
    Trousers to impress the ladies, Until One of my mates
    pointed out I really should've stuck in down the Front. :))