Patrice's choice of ammunition

Does anyone know why Patrice would use depleted uranium ammunition or whatever it was? Wouldn't it be hard to come by and even harder to turn into ammo? What are the potential benefits? And wouldn't it be too easy to trace?
"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."

Comments

• perdoggperdogg Posts: 432MI6 Agent
    Does anyone know why Patrice would use depleted uranium ammunition or whatever it was? Wouldn't it be hard to come by and even harder to turn into ammo? What are the potential benefits? And wouldn't it be too easy to trace?

initially, I thought the weapon was a caseless weapon, but the weapon is a bolt action weapon that fires semi-automatically :s
    "And if I told you that I'm from the Ministry of Defence?" James Bond - The Property of a Lady
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    Well the shrapnel in Bond's body, while there, would slowly be poisoning him, which is why he becomes washed out and depleted of energy and stamina, as well as reliant on pain killers and anti depressants. When he removed the shrapnel, his road to recovery started. There was more to this in the original script, but it wasn't so obvious in the final cut, although you do see him looking ill and wincing in the range scene, as well as popping pills in the shack.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • 00730073 COPPosts: 977MI6 Agent
    It's Hollywood ballistics. DU ammo would be complete waste of effort in any type of hand held weapon, and that includes .50 cal rifles. There are 2 reasons for this. 1 no small arm caliber produces high enough velocity for DU bullet to have any significant advantage over regular or even tungsten penetrator bullets. 2 even if there would be such ammo for a 9mm pb pistol, it would have too high chamber pressure for a handgun.
    "I mean, she almost kills bond...with her ass."
    -Mr Arlington Beech
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Thanks for the Info guys, I know nothing about Guns or amunition. So
    this is all very interesting. -{ It's amazing what you learn on AJB. :)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    0073 wrote:
    It's Hollywood ballistics. DU ammo would be complete waste of effort in any type of hand held weapon, and that includes .50 cal rifles. There are 2 reasons for this. 1 no small arm caliber produces high enough velocity for DU bullet to have any significant advantage over regular or even tungsten penetrator bullets. 2 even if there would be such ammo for a 9mm pb pistol, it would have too high chamber pressure for a handgun.

DU isn't used for the whole round, it is jacketed or used as a cap.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Thanks for the Info guys, I know nothing about Guns or amunition. So
    this is all very interesting. -{ It's amazing what you learn on AJB. :)
    +1 -{
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • 00730073 COPPosts: 977MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:
    DU isn't used for the whole round, it is jacketed or used as a cap.

Or as a penetrator core, yes I am aware of this. My point is that DU ammo is mainly used as a kinetic penetrator for it's pyrophoric properties, which for to function would require extreme (for a hand held weapon that is) velocity to function. Also for a pistol bullet, the slow poke of the projectile kingdom, there is no point in making a cap or a jacket out of DU, there just is no reason for it.

Also, I would like to retract my earlier comment that there are no (hand held) weapons that could use DU ammo; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lahti_L-39 these guns are used in the US for extreme long range rifle competitions. They are some times converted to fire 25mm bushmaster ammo, M919 Armor-Piercing, Fin-Stabilized Discarding Sabot With Tracer has a DU projectile. I'm just not sure the rifle would stand up to it. :))
    "I mean, she almost kills bond...with her ass."
    -Mr Arlington Beech
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Wow, I'm forever impressed by the knowledge f members of this community. Thank you!
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."