Whom Are Your Favourite Comedians?

hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
edited July 2013 in Off Topic Chat
Thought it would be nice to kick off a thread about who everyone's favourite comedians. Does everyone have a favourite comedian?

My favourite comedians are Adam Hills and Rik Mayall. As a person with a disability i find Adam to be a role model as he doesn't let his disability bother him. He was really funny on his Inflatable tour (watched it on youtube.) His sketch on accents was hilarious and informative at the same time as he is talking about how Australia was discovered.

I am a fan of physical humour and i think Rik and Ade make a good team working on comedies such as Bottom, The Young Ones and Filthy Rich And Catflap. I also think Rik seems like a nice person in interviews when he talks about how he survived the accident. Glad he is still with us to make us laugh and i hope he does this for more years to come.
Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"

Comments

• always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    I like Rodney Rude, good old basic Aussie humor at its best
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • Le SamouraiLe Samourai Honolulu, HIPosts: 573MI6 Agent
    edited July 2013
    Off the top of my head…

George Carlin and Mitch Hedberg… both no longer with us, alas.

Bob Newhart.

Steven Wright.

Steve Martin.

Bill Cosby.

Eddie Izzard.

Note: For simplicity's sake, I only included stand-up comedians and excluded comic actors.
    —Le Samourai

A Gent in Training.... A blog about my continuing efforts to be improve myself, be a better person, and lead a good life. It incorporates such far flung topics as fitness, self defense, music, style, food and drink, and personal philosophy.
    Agent In Training
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Hell, I have so many I'm sure to leave a few out. :))

Bob Hope, Laurel & Hardy, the marx Brothers, Jackie Mason, Dave Allen and Bob Monkhouse.
    and from todays crop of comedians;
    Mickey Flanagan, Eddie Izzard, Dara O'briain, Andy Parsons, Stewart Francis & Ade and Rik in Bottom.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    Stewart Francis is a great comedian TP. I like his deadpan style.

"I've always wondered why a frisbee seems to get bigger the closer it gets......and then it hit me!"

I also like Milton Jones who has a similar deadpan style. :))
    http://youtu.be/RzDRhphRYjw
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • LastRatStandingLastRatStanding ScotlandPosts: 296MI6 Agent
    Frank Skinner!
    Now, they only eat rat.
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    All time favorite - Richard Pryor. He didn't really tell jokes so much as he told stories that were hilarious from beginning to end.

Other favorites - Dave Chappelle, George Carlin, Bill Cosby, Sarah Silverman and Steven Wright.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,698MI6 Agent
    George Carlin and Robin Williams come to mind.

I'm also a fan of Jeff Foxworthy and Bill Engvall
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • Ens007Ens007 EnglandPosts: 863MI6 Agent
    Always liked Peter Kay for the simple observational comedy he does - Phoenix Nights remains the best comedy tv series I've seen to date. Greg Davies is very funny too. Liked Frankie Boyle on Mock The Week, but find him too over the top nowadays. A few of the other performers on that show made me laugh (Milton Jones, Stewart Francis etc).

Agree with TP .... Laurel & Hardy were genius.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent
    A shout out to Thunderpussy and minigeff, there's a new bio of Kenny Everett out, called Cupid Stunts. There's currently a secondhand copy for £12 ish in the second hand bookshop in Charing X road next to Pat Val. It's highly readable, from what I've flicked through. RRP is £20.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Stewart Francis is a great comedian TP. I like his deadpan style.

"I've always wondered why a frisbee seems to get bigger the closer it gets......and then it hit me!"

I loved Stewart Francis until I went to see him live.

Unfortunately that deadpan one line style doesn't hold up well for over an hour and he really struggled to fill the show.

My favourite comedian is Lee Mack ... closely followed by Michael McKintyre
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    I do like to watch "every body loves Raymond, during breakfast, makes me cry with laughter every time
    but my favourite comedy sketch of all time is by Spike milligan and his version
    of" waiter there is a fly in my soup " :))
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,418Chief of Staff
    Lady Rose wrote:

Lee Mack is one of the best comics currently working....he's brilliant live -{
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Lady Rose wrote:

This made me crack up. Lee on the Geordie accent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1zfG9No12Y]

Sir Miles wrote:
    Lady Rose wrote:

This made me crack up. Lee on the Geordie accent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1zfG9No12Y]

Live he is superb ... The ' I'm so cockney it hurts' routine makes me cry every time
  • PPK 7.65mmPPK 7.65mm Saratoga Springs NY USAPosts: 1,227MI6 Agent
    As far as stand up comedy goes I really like Bill Cosby's stuff since it is very relatable to anyone from all walks of life. His routines Buck, Buck, The Dentist, Fat Albert's Car and Noah are some of the funniest things I ever heard in my life. Also I have seen him twice live, and he defiantly knows what people want to hear even at over 70 years old. Also I really like Steve Martin and Robin Williams stuff too.
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    Reg Hunter, Rich Hall and Jack Dee, Frankie Boyle, Jimmy Carr and Russell Brand.
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    George Carlin is up there for me. . .he could tell you the difference between "Who" and "Whom" and make you laugh about it. Of contemporary comedians, Dennis Miller is much in that vein.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    edited July 2013
    I used to think Noel Fielding was quite funny until someone ripped him apart on Never Mind the Buzzcocks. Think it was Simon Amstill or whatever his name is.

http://youtu.be/CWmNTtJ-OPI
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    minigeff wrote:
    Reg Hunter, Rich Hall and Jack Dee, Frankie Boyle, Jimmy Carr and Russell Brand.

I don't like Reg Hunter...just don't find him funny...

Love Frankie Boyle and Jimmy Carr is fabulous too...especially live !

Dara O'Briain is mesmeric live...he's the best at 'riffing' off an audience...

Mark Watson is very funny too...
    YNWA 97
    The title of this thread is "who are your favourite comedians?" It keeps reverting itself every time i edit the title

Hardyboy wrote:
    George Carlin is up there for me. . .he could tell you the difference between "Who" and "Whom" and make you laugh about it. Of contemporary comedians, Dennis Miller is much in that vein.

I've tried to like George Carlin but it justs never happened. My nephew once spent many hours showing me You Tube clips trying to convince me he was the greatest thing ever.

In his day, Eddie Murphy was very funny standup and Chris Rock always makes me smile.

Hasn't really been any American stand ups here in the UK recently
    Chris Rock is really funny. -{ and I know what you mean By Deadpan being tough for a total set.
    Watched a Tim Vine dvd and it did get a bit stale quite quickly.
    Rich Hall is another funny guy. along with Reg D Hunter. The Only one I'd have a disagreement with
    would be Russell Brand, just don't get his humor, yet find his sister Jo very Funny. :D
    John Bishop is high on the list of funniest comics working today...
    YNWA 97
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    I find Steve Colbert hilarious!
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    I also think Jeremy Hardy and Mark Steel are very funny fot political humor.
    I also think Jeremy Hardy and Mark Steel are very funny fot political humor.

I like Mark Steel too...his tv program was excellent...
    YNWA 97
    I got Mark Steel's In Town out of the library, it's a great read about his cultural appraisal of the different towns around the UK.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Haven't read his Book but I have heard his show on BBC radio 4 going to the diffrent towns. Great stuff. :D
    Hardyboy wrote:

Ah, that's a reference to the thread title, right?

Roger Moore 1927-2017